The commie government agency THE FDA, wants to regulate the cheese on a pizza.

Do you realize what a restaurant has to go through to do this? They can’t vary, by even a 20th of an oz or it changes the caloric content. Then they can be sued for not properly displaying that content. They can’t vary any ingredient unless it is identical to the previous. They can’t change menu items daily without having to have them put through rigorous testing to make certain of the caloric content. It’s nuts.

And I would imagine if variance is found fines could be ensued.
Not if left to the Democrats there isn't.

The pizza joint doesn't have to be owned by the people to realize pizza is not the most healthy thing for you to eat. We have the internet now, and you can get that information anytime you need or want it.
There is nothing wrong with pizza and it can have healthy ingredients and it helps to build that pizza if the consumer is informed of the choices and the specific details of the ingredients..
Not everyone in the world has access to the internet..

You don't need access to the internet if you have common sense. Most Republicans have it but only a few Democrats do.

I know what's in a pizza for crying out loud. I know the amount of calories they have and affects to the body. But for the life of me, I never heard one story about a fat person getting skinny because the government forced restaurants to post calorie count on their items. All it is is an expense to the businesses that they didn't need, and of course, what us consumers ultimately pay for. They have to change their wall menus, their table menus, have to hire labs or agencies to figure out what each item contains, and for what? Nothing.

Where the real money is spent is people still breast feeding off of the government because they can't feed themselves.

How do you get from restaurants posting ingredients or calorie counts on their menus to “the government is telling you what to eat”?

Then you say that you thought car dealers posted mileage on the windows as a sales gimmick. Bet yo thought they never rolled the mileage back either.

And it’s just common sense that pizza is bad for you. It’s not common sense at all. It’s based on knowledge of which foods are high in fat or sugar, which are highly processed and what the ratios are. There’s a fair amount of technical knowledge required.

As for the cost of restaurants providing the information, it’s very cheap for the chain to do that. They all have set menus and test kitchens. And they have a head chef who sets the menu. They know from the get go what the ingredients and caloric values are but they haven’t been publishing it. The only change is that they’re now putting it on the menus at the next printing.

Ray, you go on and on about common sense as it you had it. You don’t have the good sense God have a goose.

Oh please. You mean to tell me that you don't know a Whopper combo with onion rings is fattening?

You may like waking up in bed with government every day and going to sleep the same, but as for the rest of us, the less government in our lives, the better.

How is having nutritional information readily available on the food you’re buying “waking up in bed every day with the government”? If you aren’t interested in this information, ignore it.

I don’t eat crap from Burger King or McDonalds and I’m not overweight but I find the information posted in the stores very useful. Why does this piss you off so very much.

The US has the highest rate of obesity in the world. Children growing up in America are eating so poorly that their life expectancy is going down. So this information isn’t a matter of “common sense”. This will lead to increased medical costs, reduced productivity and a shortened working lives, all of which will have a huge impact on the economy.

It never ceases to amaze me how invested some right wingers are in hating on stupid shit that has no effect on their lives at all, while utterly ignoring The big stuff which will directly impact your wallet.

If this is such a great idea, why is it not mandatory for all to comply with this law and not just businesses with 20 or more locations? Will the signs be required in multiple languages?

Last edited:
When I went to school, home ec was required for two years for the girls, and shop two years for the boys.
I think home ec should be required for all students, not just the girls, and it should be heavy on basic cooking. At least two semesters. Schools jettisoned home ec years ago because it's expensive and a home ec room is expensive to set up. Probably also because being all female was offensive.
The reason I say this is, a lot of the reason Americans are eating unhealthy these days is because they don't know how to cook. Microwaves and take out and sides in a box are a lot of people's ideas of a homemade meal. It is shocking. I grew up getting three squares a day, cooked by my mom or grandmom and when I got older I started taking turns, but you sat at the table and ate breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food groups were all represented. That's how it was done, so when I was raising my kid that's how I did it. Then he married a girl whose cooking repertoire includes two dishes and except for special occassions (like the mother in law visiting) it's take out or microwaveable food.
It's more fattening and it's not as healthy and of course it's going to take its toll. I know I'm just an old codger, but if it worked, why not push that instead of posting calories on pizza slices? Get down to brass tacks.

Yeah, a counter clerk usually has no idea what is on the menu much less the content of each ingredient...You are asking way too much of a simpleton who can only get a counter clerk job in a restaurant...
The specific point is...

Make it a competative point for your business. The owners will do it or lose your dollars, especially in the insanely competitive pizza industry.

The general point is...there is no need for one of only 2 Statist solutions. The free market makes it happen.
The free market doesn’t do shit

Unless everyone has to comply, nobody will

Why didn’t the free market end smoking in restaurants?

Govt always reacts to the market. They're never proactive.

When I went to school, home ec was required for two years for the girls, and shop two years for the boys.
I think home ec should be required for all students, not just the girls, and it should be heavy on basic cooking. At least two semesters. Schools jettisoned home ec years ago because it's expensive and a home ec room is expensive to set up. Probably also because being all female was offensive.
The reason I say this is, a lot of the reason Americans are eating unhealthy these days is because they don't know how to cook. Microwaves and take out and sides in a box are a lot of people's ideas of a homemade meal. It is shocking. I grew up getting three squares a day, cooked by my mom or grandmom and when I got older I started taking turns, but you sat at the table and ate breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food groups were all represented. That's how it was done, so when I was raising my kid that's how I did it. Then he married a girl whose cooking repertoire includes two dishes and except for special occassions (like the mother in law visiting) it's take out or microwaveable food.
It's more fattening and it's not as healthy and of course it's going to take its toll. I know I'm just an old codger, but if it worked, why not push that instead of posting calories on pizza slices? Get down to brass tacks.

Now, its just processed fast foods. Very rare that anyone takes the time to cook now or eat anything other than processed junk.

If this is such a great idea, why is it not mandatory for all to comply with this law and not just businesses with 20 or more locations? Will the signs be required in multiple languages?

There's no moral rationale for laws like this. No one is being harmed, no rights are being violated, by restaurants not posting calorie counts. It's simply a matter of expedience. Some people want to use the government to change the way the rest of us eat, and the regulatory regime gives them the power to force businesses to play along.

I'm not sure if this is the same but government did get involved in the dangers of cigarette smoking. I remember when the warnings started coming out about cigarettes maybe being harmful to your health. Before that, everyone smoked almost everywhere and the non smokers were rare and suffered greatly with the stink and the dangers to their health. Now it's the total opposite and I consider that a good thing healthwise for sure, also don't have to put up with smoke everywhere like before in restaurants, cabs, offices, and just about everywhere you went, even on planes.

There's no moral rationale for laws like this. No one is being harmed, no rights are being violated, by restaurants not posting calorie counts. It's simply a matter of expedience. Some people want to use the government to change the way the rest of us eat, and the regulatory regime gives them the power to force businesses to play along.

It's just a warning that may help people not be so overweight. Obesity is a total cost on our population including the cost of healthcare.

I'm not sure if this is the same but government did get involved in the dangers of cigarette smoking.
Cigarette companies were outright lying about the safety of their products. If Dominoes was selling their pizzas as a health food regimen, if they were trying to pass off high-calorie foods as "lite", then they should be busted for it. This isn't about protecting consumers from deceptive marketing. It's a social engineering project to improve public health. Arguably, much of the anti-smoking campaign was driven by the same motives. But, at least regarding the labeling requirements and such, there was a legitimate fraud component - the tobacco companies were telling people that cigarettes were safe, and they knew better.

Last edited:
But you are advocating a nanny state, simply because you like this regulation.
The FDA thinks it’s a great idea for these calories to be put on the walls of the establishment.

This is actually an excellent idea. In my area calories already have to be posted for all restaurant and fast food and holy shit some of this stuff being served to people is mega calories. Single items 800-900 calories, single meals close to 4,000 calories. As a nation we need to become more fit and healthy, what we eat is killing us.

Indeed. We need to get the police involved in this. We need laws requiring that each citizen keep a food intake log that can be spot checked by dietary agents.

Is that what I said? No.

No, I'm simply saying people should be informed so they can make an informed decision they still have the freedom to decide. If after so warned they choose to eat a triple bacon cheeseburger with chili cheese fries and a XL Coke well that's their choice. We provide warning information on many products that may harm you and consuming meals that are north of 3,500 calories will harm you.

People will be informed, only if they want to be informed. Even with the calorie counts shown, those that need to read it, will look right past it.

For those wanting to know, then they can carry, or use a pocket/smart phone calorie counter. No need to make others jump hoops for those the hoops will not help anyway.

You want to punish others for others actions. Actions which would not change ones behavior either way. This has a parallel to another argument in which you agree is the wrong argument. Might want to think about it for a minute.
But you are advocating a nanny state, simply because you like this regulation.
The FDA thinks it’s a great idea for these calories to be put on the walls of the establishment.

This is actually an excellent idea. In my area calories already have to be posted for all restaurant and fast food and holy shit some of this stuff being served to people is mega calories. Single items 800-900 calories, single meals close to 4,000 calories. As a nation we need to become more fit and healthy, what we eat is killing us.

Indeed. We need to get the police involved in this. We need laws requiring that each citizen keep a food intake log that can be spot checked by dietary agents.

Is that what I said? No.

No, I'm simply saying people should be informed so they can make an informed decision they still have the freedom to decide. If after so warned they choose to eat a triple bacon cheeseburger with chili cheese fries and a XL Coke well that's their choice. We provide warning information on many products that may harm you and consuming meals that are north of 3,500 calories will harm you.

Last edited:
Yes. Giving them information so they can make INFORMED choices. Why is that such a problem?
You wouldn't buy a car without knowing the details of the vehicle and that information is printed in magazines, newspapers and flyers for consumers...

And I wouldn't think that would require the government to pass laws mandating that that information be posted all over the walls of the dealership. Notice that all of the information you listed is provided voluntarily, and people are expected to be able to access it without any government help.
Yes the govt. does make them provide information, one such item is gas mileage on the sales display window sticker...
The nanny state sucks ass
So does unscrupulous business people..

And leftists always assume any business person is "unscrupulous", because they're terrified of taking responsibility for themselves.

Yes. Giving them information so they can make INFORMED choices. Why is that such a problem?
You wouldn't buy a car without knowing the details of the vehicle and that information is printed in magazines, newspapers and flyers for consumers...

And I wouldn't think that would require the government to pass laws mandating that that information be posted all over the walls of the dealership. Notice that all of the information you listed is provided voluntarily, and people are expected to be able to access it without any government help.
Yes the govt. does make them provide information, one such item is gas mileage on the sales display window sticker...

Oh, yeah, because it would NEVER occur to car dealers that that is an important thing that people want to know without the government mandating it. Thank God the wise government is there to tell them how to run their businesses.
Only because some decide to screw people over the good must also be mandated to a decent existence...You should be more mad at the folks that are out to scam and rip off the consumer, not the govt. for wanting to protect the consumer...I know you want it the other way where a business can fuck you over and you have no recourse...gheesh goddamned extremist...

I know you want to believe everyone is trying to screw you over, and that passing reams of laws will somehow make the world perfect, because you're too incompetent to look out for your own interests, and too stupid to understand what a crap job the government is actually making of it. No, no, as long as every minute of everyone's life is a hopeless tangle of red tape, and you get to lie to yourself that someone is taking care of you, that's all that matters.

If, for example, you're trusting that all these laws you're proudly touting about car dealerships somehow obviates any need for YOU to do your own due diligence in buying a car, you richly deserve the lemon you're going to end up with.

Likewise, if you somehow think that wallpapering every fast food restaurant in the country with calorie counts is going to keep you from being a fatass, you richly deserve the cholesterol-laden coronary headed your way.

Most dealers who sell used vehicles must comply with the Used Car Rule. This publication explains how to prepare and display the Buyers Guide and provides a compliance checklist.
Dealer's Guide to the Used Car Rule

You confuse "the government interferes with . . ." with "the government NEEDS to interfere with . . ."
and you think that you can trust a business...

No, dumb shit. I just ALSO don't think I can trust the government, so I think - I KNOW - that it's MY responsibility to look out for myself, rather than just sitting back and assuming that passing a million laws is going to handle it for me.

I can't imagine what makes you think the government mandating that information be given to you makes that information any more reliable than it was before. I can only assume that, in true leftist fashion, you're conflating laws mandating information dumps with laws mandating truth in advertising. Sadly for your bullshit "points", the latter are not the laws we're talking about.

Oh, yeah, because it would NEVER occur to car dealers that that is an important thing that people want to know without the government mandating it. Thank God the wise government is there to tell them how to run their businesses.
Only because some decide to screw people over the good must also be mandated to a decent existence...You should be more mad at the folks that are out to scam and rip off the consumer, not the govt. for wanting to protect the consumer...I know you want it the other way where a business can fuck you over and you have no recourse...gheesh goddamned extremist...

she's into pain

go figure

Only to the extent of debating with people who have half my IQ points.

Yeah, a counter clerk usually has no idea what is on the menu much less the content of each ingredient...You are asking way too much of a simpleton who can only get a counter clerk job in a restaurant...
The specific point is...

Make it a competative point for your business. The owners will do it or lose your dollars, especially in the insanely competitive pizza industry.

The general point is...there is no need for one of only 2 Statist solutions. The free market makes it happen.
The free market doesn’t do shit

Unless everyone has to comply, nobody will

Why didn’t the free market end smoking in restaurants?

Because if there was a bar in town that allowed smoking, it would put the rest out of business.
It's a liability issue for the business and it's employees..

No, it's a "reorder the entire world to suit me, fuck everyone else" issue, like everything with leftists.

Most dealers who sell used vehicles must comply with the Used Car Rule. This publication explains how to prepare and display the Buyers Guide and provides a compliance checklist.

You confuse "the government interferes with . . ." with "the government NEEDS to interfere with . . ."
Lol
Says someone who trusts the federal government

For some odd reason, Moonpie thinks that if the government mandates that information be provided, that will somehow make the information more reliable than if the customer simply asks for it.

Lol
Says someone who trusts the federal government
Yeah having the 411 is so bad...I can tell you like to have the blind lead the blind...

Yeah, the alternative to government mandating information dumps is OBVIOUSLY that businesses would just refuse to tell customers anything, ever.

What color is the sky in your world?

Forum List

Back