The cops are useless

They could have held the woman overnight and would have had to release her

Not even ... people detained on grounds of potentially dangerous mental conditions aren't put in lock up. They're taken to a medical practitioner for evaluation then held or release solely on the advice of that practitioner.

Police are not trained, nor are they authorized, to make clinical judgements concerning mental health.
This is California. Someone presenting a danger is held for 72 hours. Then a panel of mental health practitioners will determine whether they can be released or held for an additional 30 days.

Not even ... people detained on grounds of potentially dangerous mental conditions aren't put in lock up. They're taken to a medical practitioner for evaluation then held or release solely on the advice of that practitioner.

Police are not trained, nor are they authorized, to make clinical judgements concerning mental health.
This is California. Someone presenting a danger is held for 72 hours. Then a panel of mental health practitioners will determine whether they can be released or held for an additional 30 days.

Not held in police facilities and while police input to observed behavior is sought, the decision is just of the medical practioners.

Police don’t get to lock people up for being crazy.

Not held in police facilities and while police input to observed behavior is sought, the decision is just of the medical practioners.

But the police START the procedure USUALLY.

But the police START the procedure USUALLY.

True. But only as a first response.

Police limitations on dealing with mental patients is a significant factor in the homeless problem.

In CA a person is taken into civil custody under the Health and Safety Code, Sec 5150 (a danger to themselves or others); they are held in a secure facility (an L facility, i.e. locked) based on the evaluation of a psychiatric staff for 72 Judicial Hours. If they cannot be treated during that time they can be held fo up to two weeks (if I remember correctly) under the H&S Code, 5250.

What are they going to do? America is not a police state.
Yet, anyway.
They had enough to hold her after the family called back that would have entailed a search and they would have found the firearm.
So she had a firearm. As long as it was legal, nothing they can do.

Want me to call the cops and say you are a danger, take away his guns and they do it?

Root cause of the issue is not addressed by destroying the Constitution.

I think I heard it /wasn't/ legal cause of CA gun laws, but I cannot find anything about it now.

What are they going to do? America is not a police state.
Yet, anyway.
They had enough to hold her after the family called back that would have entailed a search and they would have found the firearm.
So she had a firearm. As long as it was legal, nothing they can do.

Want me to call the cops and say you are a danger, take away his guns and they do it?

Root cause of the issue is not addressed by destroying the Constitution.

I think I heard it /wasn't/ legal cause of CA gun laws, but I cannot find anything about it now.

Guns must be carried in the trunk of a car, or a locked glove compartment. LE needs a warrant to search those areas.

Forum List

Back