The Daily Show Destroys Fox News pundits who whine about minimum wage strikers

At some point we will be so crushed by universal minimum wage that we will have to do what other countries have done and that is move to minimum wage categories.

The minimum wage peaked in 1968, adjusted for inflation.

Everyone who is complaining about the minimum wage going higher and higher is doing so as the minimum wage goes lower and lower.

Explain why we don't raise the minimum wage to $50/hr.

Because no one is asking for it to be raised that much, you idiot.

The people who make minimum wage are only asking for $15 an hour as a negotiation to get about $11 an hour which is reasonable.

Everyone agrees $50 would be too much.

Everyone who is complaining about the minimum wage going higher and higher is doing so as the minimum wage goes lower and lower.

The people who make minimum wage are only asking for $15 an hour as a negotiation to get about $11 an hour which is reasonable.

11 bucks an hour for flipping a hamburger is reasonable...How many businesses do you own?

How about we quit having this administration print more money in an attempt to fabricate a stronger economy. By actually strengthening the U.S. dollar, and stopping all this wasteful government spending that does nothing to stimulate long term growth, our nation may finally be on the true path to reaching greater prosperity.

Why should gov't dipshits that know jack shit about business have any say at all regarding wages in this country?......

A high school kid should be in school.

The purpose of a minimum wage is to keep business from exploiting labor. Business has no conscience; it has to be imposed on business by those who do.

All high school kid should have a job.

It builds character, responsibility, and teaches them how to handle money.

Everyone I knew had jobs from the time they were 15. I was delivering papers at 8 years old by the time I was 12 I had one of the biggest routes in town.

I learned a lot about running a business from that paper route.

Several of my friends and i worked nearly 40 hours a week our junior and senior years. I saved 80% of that money for college and still managed to graduate in the top 10%

So there is no reason for a high school kid not to have a job.

And back then the minimum wage was higher than it is now.

irrelevant.

Only 3% of all earners make less than the federal minimum wage and some of those are food service workers who receive tips that can put them well over the FMW.

So can you tell me what you're really whining about here?

If you make minimum wage you are doing the job a high school kid should be doing.

The purpose of a minimum wage is to keep business from exploiting labor. Business has no conscience; it has to be imposed on business by those who do.

Everyone I knew had jobs from the time they were 15. I was delivering papers at 8 years old by the time I was 12 I had one of the biggest routes in town.

Several of my friends and i worked nearly 40 hours a week our junior and senior years. I saved 80% of that money for college and still managed to graduate in the top 10%

Agreed that instilling a work ethic is a good idea but just wanted to point out that there are no more paper routes.

Agreed that instilling a work ethic is a good idea but just wanted to point out that there are no more paper routes.

High school kids work in fast food joints. That's why they pay minimum wage. It's a job so simple and mindless that even liberals can do it.

All you've said is that $15 an hour is more politically palatable than $50 an hour. What I'm asking for is the economic principle that makes you think $15 an hour is justified but $50 an hour isn't. What's the economic principle. We know $15 an hour is more politically palatable. That's because the American people aren't quite as stupid as liberals. They understand that the laws of supply and demand apply to labor, just like any commodity. However, liberals don't understand that. So some other principle is the basis for their demands. What is that principle?

Last edited:

I saw a lady on MSNBC (of course) this morning complaining that you can't support a family on minimum wage.

Well no shit. Is that what you really think it's supposed to do?

We'll probably end up having to raise it though, our culture is pumping out more and more people who think they're entitled to it. Quality of work irrelelvant, just pay me what I want.

You obviously didn’t think this through before posting.

If the quality of one’s work is high, then he should be compensated accordingly, and indeed make demands as to his wage.

The mistake you make is incorrectly inferring that if one earns minimum wage, the quality of his work is ‘low,’ which is not always the case.

I saw a lady on MSNBC (of course) this morning complaining that you can't support a family on minimum wage.

Well no shit. Is that what you really think it's supposed to do?

We'll probably end up having to raise it though, our culture is pumping out more and more people who think they're entitled to it. Quality of work irrelelvant, just pay me what I want.

You obviously didn’t think this through before posting.

If the quality of one’s work is high, then he should be compensated accordingly, and indeed make demands as to his wage.

The mistake you make is incorrectly inferring that if one earns minimum wage, the quality of his work is ‘low,’ which is not always the case.

The value of your work is what counts. Quality is only one of the things that affects that. flipping burgers doesn't take any skills. Any pimply faced high school kid can do it. That's why it doesn't pay much.

Sigh...it has NOTHING to do with "conscience", Carbineer. A free market economy sets the rate for what a job is worth just as a free market sets the price of what a burger is worth.

!

Really? Conscience has no place in the 'free market'? Then why is child/teenage prostitution illegal?

There's certainly a lucrative 'market' for it.

Child/teenage prostitution is illegal because we as a society have decided it should be illegal. We've done so to protect a vulnerable segment of society from harm. We've done so to protect children and teens.

Now take what you want to do with minimum wage law...

You can't seem to comprehend who will end up being hurt by this. In order to "protect" adult members of society who don't have the ambition to move from entry level positions that require few skills to higher paying...higher skilled jobs...you're going to make it harder for teens to get into the job market at the entry level. You're going to artificially inflate wages so that people don't have to progress to improve their lot in life which means more of them staying right where they are. Joblessness amongst black teens is above 40% right now! If you were to pass legislation mandating a $15 an hour minimum wage I can guarantee you that the percentage of teens looking for work and not being able to find it would soar to up above 60% if not higher. So why would you as a progressive WANT to pass legislation that would absolutely destroy the ability of black teens to enter the work force? Do you hate black teens? Or are you just woefully ignorant of what your policy would do to them?

Sigh...it has NOTHING to do with "conscience", Carbineer. A free market economy sets the rate for what a job is worth just as a free market sets the price of what a burger is worth.

!

Really? Conscience has no place in the 'free market'? Then why is child/teenage prostitution illegal?

Child/teenage prostitution is illegal because we as a society have decided it should be illegal. We've done so to protect a vulnerable segment of society from harm. We've done so to protect children and teens.

You can't seem to comprehend who will end up being hurt by this. In order to "protect" adult members of society who don't have the ambition to move from entry level positions that require few skills to higher paying...higher skilled jobs...you're going to make it harder for teens to get into the job market at the entry level. You're going to artificially inflate wages so that people don't have to progress to improve their lot in life which means more of them staying right where they are. Joblessness amongst black teens is above 40% right now! If you were to pass legislation mandating a $15 an hour minimum wage I can guarantee you that the percentage of teens looking for work and not being able to find it would soar to up above 60% if not higher. So why would you as a progressive WANT to pass legislation that would absolutely destroy the ability of black teens to enter the work force? Do you hate black teens? Or are you just woefully ignorant of what your policy would do to them?

Businesses either need the labor or they don't. You don't hire someone you don't need because you can get him for 7 dollars an hour instead of 9.

Yes, the minimum wage is an issue of conscience and morality. The anti-minimum wagers have been arguing for decades that if the minimum wage were just lower, all sorts of jobs would magically appear.

Well, the fact is, for the thousandth time, the minimum wage PEAKED IN 1968. You've been getting the lower minimum wage you want for 45 years...

...WHERE ARE THE JOBS??

Your argument has already failed. It's a failed argument with no merit. Stop using it.

Wow.. The Daily Show?

:lol:

You lefty moonbats never cease to amaze when it comes to what you find relevant.

Businesses either need the labor or they don't. You don't hire someone you don't need because you can get him for 7 dollars an hour instead of 9.

Yes, the minimum wage is an issue of conscience and morality. The anti-minimum wagers have been arguing for decades that if the minimum wage were just lower, all sorts of jobs would magically appear.

Well, the fact is, for the thousandth time, the minimum wage PEAKED IN 1968. You've been getting the lower minimum wage you want for 45 years...

...WHERE ARE THE JOBS??

Your argument has already failed. It's a failed argument with no merit. Stop using it.

Why do you lefties always want to foist your morality one the rest of us?

Just hang out by the mailbox and wait for your gubmint check and leave the rest of us that pay the bills alone.

If you make minimum wage you are doing the job a high school kid should be doing.

The other poster said all minimum wage jobs should be done by high school kids.

If fast food restaurants are paying minimum wage, all those jobs should be done by high school kids??

lol, last time I looked, every fast food joint around here was open Monday thru Friday during normal school hours...

...how do you propose to fill those jobs with high school kids??

Like I said, high school kids should be in school. Not missing school to serve lunch at MacDonald's.

It's disgraceful what kind of a country you people want America to be.

All you've said is that $15 an hour is more politically palatable than $50 an hour. What I'm asking for is the economic principle that makes you think $15 an hour is justified but $50 an hour isn't. What's the economic principle. We know $15 an hour is more politically palatable. That's because the American people aren't quite as stupid as liberals. They understand that the laws of supply and demand apply to labor, just like any commodity. However, liberals don't understand that. So some other principle is the basis for their demands. What is that principle?

Screw it. Pay these petulant asswipes what they want and see how long the business stays viable when customers see what they have to pay.

Statists know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Forum List

Back