The Derek Chauvin Trial Thread

According to legal analyst Andrew Branca over at Legal Insurrection....yesterday was a dumpster fire for the prosecution.....so bad that the defense is now going to call the prosectuions own witness for their side.....

From Legal insurrection......you could also listen to the analysis on the Law of Self Defense podcast.....

The horrible, no good day for the prosecution...

------
To ensure the point: The stateā€™s own use-of-force expert testified on cross that he personally had engaged in use-of-force conduct that the state had been using to demonize Chauvin as an unlawful killer. Thatā€™s not a good day for the state.
-------------------

Today was a terrible, horrible no good, very bad day for the prosecution, to a degree that I havenā€™t seen since the trial of George Zimmerman.

If you have no more than an hour to watch the video of todayā€™s proceedings, then I urge you to spend 44 minutes watching the cross-examination of state witness Johnny Mercil, the stateā€™s use-of-force training expert, and 22 minutes watching the cross-examination of Nicole MacKenzie, the stateā€™s medical care training expert. In both instances the result can only be called a train wreck of a disaster for the prosecution.

Indeed, after the judge dismissed Mercil from the witness stand, Prosecutor Schleiter appeared visibly shaken and angryā€”and he ought to have, given the mauling his case just received.

At one point Mercil testified the he himself had personally kept a suspect physically restrained until EMS had arrived on scene, behavior which the state has been arguing for over a week was misconduct on the part of Chauvin.

Even worse, not only did the cross-examination of MacKenzie by the defense also go badly for the prosecution, it went so badly that Nelson informed the court that he intended to re-call MacKenzie as a defense witness when he presented his case in chief.
-------

STATEā€™S WITNESS: MPD LIEUTENANT JOHNNY MERCIL, USE-OF-FORCE TRAINER
OK, with Yang out of the way, letā€™s jump into the first explosive stateā€™s witness of the day, MPD Lieutenant Johnny Mercil, presented as the stateā€™s expert on MPD use-of-force policy and training.
---
Mercil is also a genuine fan of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), saying (as many practitioners do, in my experience) that he had ā€œfallen in love with the sport.ā€ This was elicited on direct, led by Prosecutor Schleiter, no doubt to buttress Mercilā€™s credibility, as was the direct testimony of Mercil about his expertise in hand-to-hand force techniques as both a trainer and a street cop, and his mastery of MPD use-of-force policies. Little did Schleiter know how Mercilā€™s credibility would shortly boomerang on the prosecution.

Schleiter did his usual routine, where he portrayed use of force options as being cast in absolute and binary terms. If A, then B, if X then Y. Any variance of this was either out of MPD policy or at least ā€œuntrained by MPDā€ (an entirely different matter than being outside policy), and hence ā€œwrong-act.ā€

Schleiter made use of the MPD use of force continuum, and presented it in the most childish and sterile context possible. If at this level of the continuum, officer can do this, but not that, correct. Mercil dutifully answered in the affirmative. But if at that level of the continuum, officer can do that, but not this. Again, yes.

Schleiter would also pose simplified and hypothetical scenarios only minimally representative of what occurred with Floyd and ask if the use of, say, a neck restraint in that hypothetical would be reasonable. Of course, the answer from Mercil, as intended that narrow and specific question, would be, no, unreasonable.

Missing from all of this direct, of course, was any context around the complex dynamics and circumstances that often surround a police use of force event. That Schleiter wants to avoid any such discussion is understandable, because doing so provides an appearance for at least reasonableness, if not outright justification, for Chauvinā€™s use-of-force decisions and conduct with respect to Floyd.

Another common routine from Schleiter when doing direct on stateā€™s witnesses who have any purported use-of-force expertise is to show them the photo of Chauvin apparently (but perhaps not actually) kneeling on Floydā€™s neck and asking, ā€œIs this an MPD trained neck restraint?ā€ Invariably the answer is in the negative.
----

Nelson also once again put the use of pressure and body weight techniques in a favorable light. The state wants to present Chauvinā€™s knee in a negative light, as deadly mechanical asphyxiation, or as a ā€œblood chokeā€ as attested to by MMA Williams. In fact, however, the use of pressure and body weight to restrain a suspect was adopted by the MPD because it was a lesser intensity of force than the prior practice of using strikesā€”either barehanded, or with batons, or even with weighted glovesā€”to compel compliance. Mercil concurred.

The take home message for the jury is that Chauvinā€™s knee, far from being a public execution in a public street, was a lesser force than would otherwise have been required.
---
When asked explicitly if any of the video of the event showed Chauvin placing Floyd in a ā€œchoke holdā€ (in this context meaning a respiratory choke but the term has been used with careless disregard for accuracy) Mercil was obliged to answer that it did not.

When asked if a carotid choke, or what MPD would refer to as an ā€œunconscious neck restraintā€ required both of the carotid arteries to be compressed, Mercil answered that it did. So much for MMA expert Williamsā€™ testimony to the contrary.
----

Further, when asked how quickly unconsciousness occurred when a carotid choke was placed, Mercil answered ā€œless than 10 seconds.ā€

Clearly, then Floyd was not being subject to a carotid choke for the large majority of the 9 minutes or so Chauvin had his knee in place, and likely never during that period.

When asked if Mercil trained officers that a suspect who had become unconscious could regain consciousness, get back into the fight, and perhaps even be more aggressive than previously, Mercil responded that he did.

This, of course, is a rationale for Chauvin maintain his knee across Floydā€™s back even after Floyd lost consciousness.

Last edited:
Thatā€™s your right of course. But I donā€™t entirely trust that they were not just caught up in the anti-cop mania and felt pressured by this to say what they thought people wanted to hear.

I know what youā€™ll probably say to that but let me say first that people have already proven themselves to be less than objective in these matters.

It has already happened that officers have been demonized for what turned out to be justified shootings. Whatā€™s more, some are still demonized after being officially cleared.

That's because our system is geared towards acquitting them no matter how guilty they are. Like the guy who shot Philandro Castille. Castille was cooperating, informed the officer he had a CC permit (Silly Darky, Rights are for White people) and was shot with his girlfriend and baby daughter feet away.

Castile was shot because he was reaching for something. He told the officer he had a firearm and the officer simply said ā€œOkayā€. But then Castile moved like he was maybe going to show the officer the gun or the permit. The officer then told Castile not reach for it but Castile insisted (ā€œI just need to...ā€) and thatā€™s when the officer fired.

Castile was not shot for being black nor was he shot for owning a firearm. He was shot for not heeding the officerā€™s command not to go for the weapon.

It was tragic and unnecessary and he did not deserve to die. But his race had nothing to do with it.

He had been pulled over for having a "wide set nose". How do you argue that had nothing to do with race?

Donā€™t be an idiot. The article says the officer said they looked like a pair that had just committed a robbery. Iā€™m assuming the remark about the wide set nose was referring to a description of the robbery suspects.

Cā€™mon man.

And by the way, the officer was Hispanic.

Castile and many others driving by that day. If you really believe they were "suspects" you don't have to make a ruse about a broken tail light and he had been pulled over so many times, a quick radio transmission would have stated who he was.

They were clearly simply targeting certain people.

Question: Was the tailight broken?

Thatā€™s your right of course. But I donā€™t entirely trust that they were not just caught up in the anti-cop mania and felt pressured by this to say what they thought people wanted to hear.

I know what youā€™ll probably say to that but let me say first that people have already proven themselves to be less than objective in these matters.

It has already happened that officers have been demonized for what turned out to be justified shootings. Whatā€™s more, some are still demonized after being officially cleared.

That's because our system is geared towards acquitting them no matter how guilty they are. Like the guy who shot Philandro Castille. Castille was cooperating, informed the officer he had a CC permit (Silly Darky, Rights are for White people) and was shot with his girlfriend and baby daughter feet away.

Castile was shot because he was reaching for something. He told the officer he had a firearm and the officer simply said ā€œOkayā€. But then Castile moved like he was maybe going to show the officer the gun or the permit. The officer then told Castile not reach for it but Castile insisted (ā€œI just need to...ā€) and thatā€™s when the officer fired.

Castile was not shot for being black nor was he shot for owning a firearm. He was shot for not heeding the officerā€™s command not to go for the weapon.

It was tragic and unnecessary and he did not deserve to die. But his race had nothing to do with it.

He had been pulled over for having a "wide set nose". How do you argue that had nothing to do with race?

Donā€™t be an idiot. The article says the officer said they looked like a pair that had just committed a robbery. Iā€™m assuming the remark about the wide set nose was referring to a description of the robbery suspects.

Cā€™mon man.

Castile and many others driving by that day. If you really believe they were "suspects" you don't have to make a ruse about a broken tail light and he had been pulled over so many times, a quick radio transmission would have stated who he was.

It was clearly an excuse. I have no idea if it was. He was fishing.

As honest as I can be, watch the two body cam videos.
Floyd was combative, uncooperative and was acting/saying things that wasn't making sense - which we now know was the result of the drugs he had taken.
He was asked - "are you on something now?" - he answered no. At that point he could have said "I swallowed a bunch of drugs because I was afraid of getting caught". - Perhaps if he was honest and said that, he would have received medical care for that - and would be alive today.
When he was resisting going into the squad car, three police officers couldn't get him in the car. He was a big strong dude.
When they placed him on the ground, he kicked at the two officers... at that point... Chauvin pinned him to the ground.
Indeed, he said several times I can't breathe. But a person who can't breath, can't talk. He continued to talk, groan and shout out.
Plus you have to take into consideration - he was talking about dying, and breathing problems continuously BEFORE he was pinned.

All the officers wanted him to do was simply sit down in the squad car. That is all. And he wouldn't do it. He talked about dying, talked about not wanting to die today... BECAUSE HE KNEW HE TOOK THE HIGH DOSE... but throughout the whole time, he never mentions he did that.

It's not murder.
You forgot the fact that Floyd shouldnā€™t even have been arrested in the first place. The chief testified that arrests are not made for such crimes. Thereā€™s no way to determine in real time if it was done deliberately. It gets referred for investigation.
Chauvin was wrong across the board.
Chief says that criminals aren't arrested for counterfeit money? Seriously, you don't see a problem with the chiefs comments? The law isn't the law I guess.

...to a violent felon, high on 2X the lethal dose of fentanyl...

Not for nothin', but if he'd taken twice the lethal dose, why wasn't he already dead?

He was dying.....had the police not arrived, he would have died anyway.
Just murdered by a cop first.
Chauvin is cooked. There is no defense when his boss says his actions were in no way compliant with their departmental policies or protocols.
Really-----you think everyone else is to stupid to think for themselves? The training videos and thousands of other cops taking down violent criminals by the same technique say otherwise.
Really-----you think everyone else is to stupid to think for themselves? The training videos and thousands of other cops taking down violent criminals by the same technique say otherwise
Derp...
Thereā€™s been at least four police witnesses including the chief and today the actual use of force training officer who say it is not an authorized technique. Try actually watching it instead of being a moron.
How else are you supposed to arrest 6'6 or 6'7 drugged up violent criminals--ask them pretty please? The "technique" is used all over the country----------

The chief is an idiot---------playing games --political games instead of doing what is right--------I don't about the other 3, but quit frankly I only care about the facts and logic. Violent criminal had to be taken down--criminals lovers whined when guns were used, whine when tasers are used, whine when batons are used, and now you can't even use your knees to take down criminals? No wonder Minneapolis is a mess------------the Chief should be ashamed of himself.

Cā€™mon man.

So you donā€™t know. You chose to condemn the officer based on less than all the facts that you never bothered to verify.

Given that you were not interested enough about the case to verify your assumptions, I can only conclude that you chose to condemn the officer because heā€™s a cop and because Castile was black.

Cā€™mon man.

So you donā€™t know. You chose to condemn the officer based on less than all the facts that you never bothered to verify.

Given that you were not interested enough about the case to verify your assumptions, I can only conclude that you chose to condemn the officer because heā€™s a cop and because Castile was black.

49 times in 13 years. The police were targeting minorities.

I posted as this trial got under way that the video was damning. After a week, Iā€™m not so sure that chauvin did anything wrong...I just donā€™t know...One thing I do know is that a fair trial may not be possible.

Funny..I thought I wrote REASONABLE...must check....yes I did. I already said so you dill!!!

Greg

The problem is you guys aren't presenting reasonable doubts. You are doing handstands to come up with reasons why this man died after having a knee to his neck for nine minutes and being unable to breathe.

Yeah....the video doesn't show everything, doesn't take into account the entire situation......

No damage to the neck, no trauma to the neck.....he died from the over dose...

Except that wasn't the ruling of the coroner. The Coroner ruled it a homicide.

Even better because racist uneducated cop hating shitbags like you, supergaygirl, and other idiots are showing your true stupidity. Check your ignorance asshole.

Actually, 99% of cops are great guys doing a difficult job. Their job is made a lot more difficult by guys like Chauvin acting like thugs.

Floyd needed killing. A career criminal is like a cockroach. Needs to be stepped on. But Floyd killed himself with drugs/

^^^^^This idiot probably wonders why there's something called "Black Lives Matter" ^^^^^

...to a violent felon, high on 2X the lethal dose of fentanyl...

Not for nothin', but if he'd taken twice the lethal dose, why wasn't he already dead?

Just murdered by a cop first.
Chauvin is cooked. There is no defense when his boss says his actions were in no way compliant with their departmental policies or protocols.
Really-----you think everyone else is to stupid to think for themselves? The training videos and thousands of other cops taking down violent criminals by the same technique say otherwise.
Really-----you think everyone else is to stupid to think for themselves? The training videos and thousands of other cops taking down violent criminals by the same technique say otherwise
Derp...
Thereā€™s been at least four police witnesses including the chief and today the actual use of force training officer who say it is not an authorized technique. Try actually watching it instead of being a moron.
Try learning something instead of being ignorant your entire life dummy. That technique was taught and was in every instructional video and manual. Proven and shown multiple times. Of course being a law hating libtard, you hate the truth.

I learned it from the sworn testimony of the MPD Chief, their use of force training officer, Chauvinā€™s supervisor and the crisis management training officer who all said youā€™re dumb as shit.
And you also omit the fact that he had to admit that that technique actually WAS taught until just recently. So youā€™re just another dumbfuck cop hating libtard. And that pile of shit youā€™re eating is smarter than you.
And you also omit the fact that he had to admit that that technique actually WAS taught until just recently. So youā€™re just another dumbfuck cop hating libtard. And that pile of shit youā€™re eating is smarter than you.
Not true at all.
the use of force training officer said itā€™s never been an authorized hold.

Floyd was combative, uncooperative and was acting/saying things that wasn't making sense - which we now know was the result of the drugs he had taken.
He was asked - "are you on something now?" - he answered no. At that point he could have said "I swallowed a bunch of drugs because I was afraid of getting caught". - Perhaps if he was honest and said that, he would have received medical care for that - and would be alive today.
When he was resisting going into the squad car, three police officers couldn't get him in the car. He was a big strong dude.
When they placed him on the ground, he kicked at the two officers... at that point... Chauvin pinned him to the ground.
Indeed, he said several times I can't breathe. But a person who can't breath, can't talk. He continued to talk, groan and shout out.
Plus you have to take into consideration - he was talking about dying, and breathing problems continuously BEFORE he was pinned.

All the officers wanted him to do was simply sit down in the squad car. That is all. And he wouldn't do it. He talked about dying, talked about not wanting to die today... BECAUSE HE KNEW HE TOOK THE HIGH DOSE... but throughout the whole time, he never mentions he did that.

It's not murder.
You forgot the fact that Floyd shouldnā€™t even have been arrested in the first place. The chief testified that arrests are not made for such crimes. Thereā€™s no way to determine in real time if it was done deliberately. It gets referred for investigation.
Chief says that criminals aren't arrested for counterfeit money? Seriously, you don't see a problem with the chiefs comments? The law isn't the law I guess.
He explained why. I suggest you review his testimony.

It's not murder.

It is a misdemeanor to knowingly try and pass counterfeit money. Simple possession is not because there is no way of knowing how you got it.

And I certainly could not account for where I got every bill in my wallet. Could you? Oh that twenty I got as cash back from the pharmacy. Yes I am sure. No. I got that twenty as cash back from the grocery store. I got that one when I paid for a 12 pack of blue moon with a fifty.

Essentially it is the equivalent of shoplifting. A petty crime. No it is not right. But it is also worth noting we arenā€™t talking about Dillinger here. The worst case scenario was that the cops had found a petty thief. The most likely scenario was that he had gotten it elsewhere without realizing it.

I didn't see one, so forgive me if there's already one, two or three in existence.

If not, let this be the official thread to discuss the biggest trial of the century.
Lynch Mobs in the age of wokness is not the trial of a Century

I donā€™t think you could honestly call this a lunch mob. The accused has a lawyer. And every time the lawyer belches the Extreme Right and the White Wing rush out to show that the entire case is bullshit based upon that gastric release.

Honestly your reaction is one of the reasons that the defenders of Chauvin are doing so poorly outside of the dedicated far right websites. You sound as dumb as Professor George Lakoff. He was the left wing nut who wanted to call the gulf oil spill the Gulf Death Gusher.

It's not murder.

It is a misdemeanor to knowingly try and pass counterfeit money. Simple possession is not because there is no way of knowing how you got it.

And I certainly could not account for where I got every bill in my wallet. Could you? Oh that twenty I got as cash back from the pharmacy. Yes I am sure. No. I got that twenty as cash back from the grocery store. I got that one when I paid for a 12 pack of blue moon with a fifty.

Essentially it is the equivalent of shoplifting. A petty crime. No it is not right. But it is also worth noting we arenā€™t talking about Dillinger here. The worst case scenario was that the cops had found a petty thief. The most likely scenario was that he had gotten it elsewhere without realizing it.
he's a career criminal......assuming he was passing a counterfeit bill and didn't know is an ignorant assumption.
Secondly, he was told that it was a counterfeit and to give the cigerattes back--he refused
Third two other counterfeit bills were found in the truck (its what he was twirling around in the truck trying to hide when the cops arrive as per the police cams)
Fourth--its a felony--a federal crime to do counterfeit money
Fifth, crime is crime--you don't allow crimes even broken windows to go unanswered or you wind up with shit holes like minnepolis where the criminals like floyd and their supporters think they rule the street leading to crime wave making everyone unsafe.

It's not murder.

he's a career criminal......assuming he was passing a counterfeit bill and didn't know is an ignorant assumption.
Secondly, he was told that it was a counterfeit and to give the cigerattes back--he refused
Third two other counterfeit bills were found in the truck (its what he was twirling around in the truck trying to hide when the cops arrive as per the police cams)
Fifth, crime is crime--you don't allow crimes even broken windows to go unanswered or you wind up with shit holes like minnepolis where the criminals like floyd and their supporters think they rule the street leading to crime wave making everyone unsafe.
Yes..
Chauvin was doing the Lordā€™s work by removing this dangerous animal from society. Bless him.

It's not murder.

Actually. The broken Windows approach has never been done correctly. At least according to the guy who came up with it. But Iā€™ve covered that already. Studies into it have come back as inconclusive. In other words there is no proof it does anything about crime.

Federal Crimes are enforced by Federal Authorities. That is why we have Federal Agents. It is why the Sanctuary Cities have broken no Federal Law in ignoring Immigration Remainder Requests. If all cops were Federal Agents then they could enforce federal law. Thankfully that is not the case.

Forum List

Back