The downside of carrying a firearm...

"The last time someone was killed by celebratory fire on New Years Eve in New Orleans was in 1994 ... Amy Silberman, a tourist from Boston."

You are going to minimalize this, because it does not happen every year?

Ok.

And good luck with your firearm in New Orleans. The everage inner city 16 year old kid is not only faster than you, but outguns you, as well.

No more than you minimalized the 38 deaths reported by one hospital in Los Angeles between 1985 and 1992 ... But that wasn't the point either ... And I wasn't minimalizing anything.
Plus you have no idea who you are talking to, what I carry nor what I can or cannot do ... But hey, if it makes you feel better, knock yourself out ... I am laughing.

"The last time someone was killed by celebratory fire on New Years Eve in New Orleans was in 1994 ... Amy Silberman, a tourist from Boston."

Ok.

And good luck with your firearm in New Orleans. The average inner city 16 year old kid is not only faster than you, but outguns you, as well.

Not true.

just a ghetto legend.

But we here know better. ;)

I tell ya what, if I see you there I'll alert them. Maybe I'll volunteer to search you :D

That amazed me when I moved there, people walking around packing as if it were an umbrella. People go to work packing heat. Weird. I'm glad not to live among that kind of scene any more.

Oh come on now Pogo ... You and I both know what you mean about 'gun culture' ... And we pretty much agree. ... We just don't agree with the fix.
I would warn you about giving me a hard time in New Orleans ... I got friends there that might not take kindly to you causing me problems ... You know how that works ... :lol:

But we here know better. ;)

I tell ya what, if I see you there I'll alert them. Maybe I'll volunteer to search you :D

That amazed me when I moved there, people walking around packing as if it were an umbrella. People go to work packing heat. Weird. I'm glad not to live among that kind of scene any more.

Oh come on now Pogo ... You and I both know what you mean about 'gun culture' ... And we pretty much agree. ... We just don't agree with the fix.
I would warn you about giving me a hard time in New Orleans ... I got friends there that might not take kindly to you causing me problems ... You know how that works ... :lol:

We don't? How do we know? Have we even discussed the fix?

I have lots of friends in N'awlins dear. I know all about siccing my friends on your friends. Yeah you rite. :beer:

Sorry I did't see your post before posting on the same subject. A pretty good argument for strict background checks wouldn't you agree?

So then people are dropping like flies on New Years eve every year in New Orleans.
Sorry about that, I've missed the stories.

Somehow, that does not surprise me....

United States[edit]
July 4, 2013: A 7-year old boy, Brendon Mackey, was struck in the top of his head and killed while walking with his father shortly before 9 p.m. amid a large crowd prior to the fireworks display over the Swift Creek Reservoir. [21]
July 4, 2012: A 34-year woman, Michelle Packard, was struck in the head and killed while watching the fireworks with her family. The police believe the shot could have come from a mile away.[22]
January 1, 2010: A four-year-old boy, Marquel Peters, was struck by a bullet and killed inside his church The Church of God of Prophecy in Decatur, GA. It is presumed the bullet may have penetrated the roof of the church around 12:20AM.[23]
December 28, 2005: A 23-year-old U.S. Army private on leave after basic training fired a 9mm pistol into the air in celebration with friends, according to police, and one of the bullets came through a fifth-floor apartment window in the New York City borough of Queens, striking a 28-year-old mother of two in the eye. Her husband found her lifeless body moments later. The shooter had been drinking the night before and turned himself in to police the next morning when he heard the news. He was charged with second-degree manslaughter and weapons-related crimes,[24][25] and was later found guilty and sentenced to four to 12 years in prison.[26]
June 14, 1999: Arizona, A fourteen year-old girl, Shannon Smith, was struck on the top of her head by a bullet and killed while in the backyard of her home. [27] This incident resulted in Arizona enacting "Shannon's Law" in 2000, that made the discharge of a firearm into the air illegal[28]
December 31, 1994: Amy Silberman, a tourist from Boston, was killed by a falling bullet from celebratory firing while walking on the Riverwalk in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana. The Police Department there has been striving to educate the public on the danger since then, frequently making arrests for firing into the air.[29][dead link]

Wiki

I remember Amy Silberman, when that happened.

So what does it take to think of that -- to fire a gun into the air, at nothing? It takes a gun-obsessed culture. What a weird thing to do.

Ignorant, irresponsible, and criminal as well.

Sorry I did't see your post before posting on the same subject. A pretty good argument for strict background checks wouldn't you agree?

Not sure who you're posting to but I heartily approve of your namesake. Welcome to the site :)

I have lots of friends in N'awlins dear. I know all about siccing my friends on your friends. Yeah you rite. :beer:

Oh yeah, we discussed it before ... Maybe you forgot ... And for the record I didn't say I would actually have to say or do anything for you to get yourself in trouble messing with me.

It would be fun to watch anyway ... As long as no one got seriously hurt ... :beer:

Oh yeah, we discussed it before ... Maybe you forgot ... And for the record I didn't say I would actually have to say or do anything for you to get yourself in trouble messing with me.

It would be fun to watch anyway ... As long as no one got seriously hurt ... :beer:

Obviously it plowed a deep-groove impression in the cotton field vinyl record of my mind. :rolleyes: --- why do I get the idea we didn't come up with anything profound... :dunno:

Speaking of which I left you a li'l sump'm in the Jukebox... :D

Ok.

And good luck with your firearm in New Orleans. The everage inner city 16 year old kid is not only faster than you, but outguns you, as well.

No more than you minimalized the 38 deaths reported by one hospital in Los Angeles between 1985 and 1992 ... But that wasn't the point either ... And I wasn't minimalizing anything.
Plus you have no idea who you are talking to, what I carry nor what I can or cannot do ... But hey, if it makes you feel better, knock yourself out ... I am laughing.

It seems only fair to tell you that I do not have a clue as to what you are talking about in Los Angeles.

But I can tell you this. I lived in New Orleans for 10 years, and there are nieghborhoods where even the cops don't enter at night unless they are in teams of four. So, unless you are Sylvester Stallone, I feel secure in telling you that, even with my firearms training through the Pima County Sheriff's department, I would not enter certain nieghborhoods in New Orleans without a bazookaza, but I bow down to you, the ultimate terminator, who is prepared to take on an entire group of gangsters who are armed to the teeth, have nothing to lose, and hate your guts, just for being in their neighborhood.

Of course, if you have George Zimmerman with you, that would be a different story altogether.....

Last edited:
So we're moving from "can do" to "illegal"...

Moving-The-Goalposts.jpg

You're such a toy.

Did you know that most of the weapons that Charles Whitmore, the tower shooter you referenced earlier, were bolt action?

In other words, it is pretty easy to kill large numbers of people even without semi automatic weapons.

The action is irrelevant. The point, which has been muddled, is that you can't do a Charles Whitman or a John Muhammad or (fill in the rest) with a sword. Firearms are in a class by themselves.

Do you have a sword fetish? Isn't it a little risky to stick sharp objects into your anal cavity?

The point is that you are an ignorant ass.

Did you know that most of the weapons that Charles Whitmore, the tower shooter you referenced earlier, were bolt action?

In other words, it is pretty easy to kill large numbers of people even without semi automatic weapons.

The action is irrelevant. The point, which has been muddled, is that you can't do a Charles Whitman or a John Muhammad or (fill in the rest) with a sword. Firearms are in a class by themselves.

Do you have a sword fetish?

I do not. Some gun fetishists like to compare guns to swords, baseball bats, or even cars. An argument of Thoreauean quiet desperation. So we show them why oranges are not apples.

Got a problem with that then?

Isn't it a little risky to stick sharp objects into your anal cavity?

I would assume so, and good for you for asking advice. Let us know how that works out.

The point is that you are an ignorant ass.

"Point"... "sword"' I get it I get it. That's the funniest pun I've heard in the last forty seconds.
rofl.gif

Not sure who you're posting to but I heartily approve of your namesake. Welcome to the site :)

I'm a little confused by the UI but I'm not a total numbskull (my claim anyway) so I'll get it. Thx for the welcome.

Just click the "quote" button of the post in question, and it will pop open your response window. Write under that. :thup:

Obviously your knowledge of history and weapons sucks.

The unfortunate difference is, you can't sit in a tower, or in an upper floor of a mall, or in the trunk of a car, and sword people.

But arrows, crossbow bolts, or bullets from bow or sling have been doing the job quite nicely for most of recorded history.

For that matter, you couldn't mass-assault a roomful of Amish girls with the firearm technology of the 18th century either

Of course you could. You never heard of fowling pieces, shotguns, muskets, multi-barreled weapons or cannons?
Never read about the Aztecs, Incas, or American Indians in the 15th and 16th centuries?

Pogo, I think you missed this.

No, what you're leaving out is the action of the victims... i.e. in the time it takes the 18th century musketeer to load and reload, the Amish girls or the Newtown kids have plenty of time to scatter. The bottom line is that at the time the Constitution was written, Sandy Hook was inconceivable.

This is a small example of a blunderbuss, a weapon designed to clear the deck of a ship. Tell me exactly how those Amish girls would fare when shot a .75 caliber blunderbuss being fired in their general direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
So then people are dropping like flies on New Years eve every year in New Orleans.
Sorry about that, I've missed the stories.

Somehow, that does not surprise me....

United States[edit]
July 4, 2013: A 7-year old boy, Brendon Mackey, was struck in the top of his head and killed while walking with his father shortly before 9 p.m. amid a large crowd prior to the fireworks display over the Swift Creek Reservoir. [21]
July 4, 2012: A 34-year woman, Michelle Packard, was struck in the head and killed while watching the fireworks with her family. The police believe the shot could have come from a mile away.[22]
January 1, 2010: A four-year-old boy, Marquel Peters, was struck by a bullet and killed inside his church The Church of God of Prophecy in Decatur, GA. It is presumed the bullet may have penetrated the roof of the church around 12:20AM.[23]
December 28, 2005: A 23-year-old U.S. Army private on leave after basic training fired a 9mm pistol into the air in celebration with friends, according to police, and one of the bullets came through a fifth-floor apartment window in the New York City borough of Queens, striking a 28-year-old mother of two in the eye. Her husband found her lifeless body moments later. The shooter had been drinking the night before and turned himself in to police the next morning when he heard the news. He was charged with second-degree manslaughter and weapons-related crimes,[24][25] and was later found guilty and sentenced to four to 12 years in prison.[26]
June 14, 1999: Arizona, A fourteen year-old girl, Shannon Smith, was struck on the top of her head by a bullet and killed while in the backyard of her home. [27] This incident resulted in Arizona enacting "Shannon's Law" in 2000, that made the discharge of a firearm into the air illegal[28]
December 31, 1994: Amy Silberman, a tourist from Boston, was killed by a falling bullet from celebratory firing while walking on the Riverwalk in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana. The Police Department there has been striving to educate the public on the danger since then, frequently making arrests for firing into the air.[29][dead link]

Wiki

I remember Amy Silberman, when that happened.

So what does it take to think of that -- to fire a gun into the air, at nothing? It takes a gun-obsessed culture. What a weird thing to do.

A bit like posting on an anonymous message board and pretending you know about guns?

"I do not. Some gun fetishists like to compare guns to swords, baseball bats, or even cars. An argument of Thoreauean quiet desperation. So we show them why oranges are not apples."

Gosh, you mean you are not always shown to be wrong like you have here?

Forum List

Back