The downside of carrying a firearm...

See video of open-carry gun advocate's confrontation with Grand Rapids Police that sparked lawsuit

See video of open-carry gun advocate's confrontation with Grand Rapids Police that sparked lawsuit | MLive.com

In Part 3 the police officer said he didn't have a problem with the man exercising open carry if he called the department ahead of time and let them know.
The best part was when the supervisor showed up and the responding officer asked the supervisor what do to.

"Dust him off and let him go" ... Were the first words out of the Supervisor on the matter.

I am not knocking the police for stopping someone if they think there is probable cause ... But that doesn't mean you lecture them and try to rewrite the law in the process.
At the same time I wouldn't have argued with the police officer ... Requested a supervisor on scene ... And asked the cop to shut up until the supervisor got there.

the 911 call is also on the site

worth listening to

Listen to 911 caller report Grand Rapids man with holstered gun; federal lawsuit follows | MLive.com

Sweden had 58 people killed by firearms....something we should aspire to

There's a lot of guns in Sweden.

We have 300 million

How many do they have?

There are a good number of hunting weapons - rifles and shotguns - in Sweden. Some owned by my brothers in law. Neither they nor I know anyone, or have even heard of anyone, who owns a handgun.

Such international statistical comparisons as I have seen do not differentiate between hand guns and hunting weapons and are therefore not much use in this context.

See video of open-carry gun advocate's confrontation with Grand Rapids Police that sparked lawsuit

See video of open-carry gun advocate's confrontation with Grand Rapids Police that sparked lawsuit | MLive.com

In Part 3 the police officer said he didn't have a problem with the man exercising open carry if he called the department ahead of time and let them know.
The best part was when the supervisor showed up and the responding officer asked the supervisor what do to.

"Dust him off and let him go" ... Were the first words out of the Supervisor on the matter.

I am not knocking the police for stopping someone if they think there is probable cause ... But that doesn't mean you lecture them and try to rewrite the law in the process.
At the same time I wouldn't have argued with the police officer ... Requested a supervisor on scene ... And asked the cop to shut up until the supervisor got there.

worth listening to

Listen to 911 caller report Grand Rapids man with holstered gun; federal lawsuit follows | MLive.com

Yeah well ... I think the dispatcher handled the caller better than the police handled the man.
If the responding officer had any guts at all and knew the law ... They should have approached him differently.
There was no cause for excessive alarm from the caller ... There was no indication of imminent danger.
Unlawful detention could be an issue, although I would be less likely to pursue that if the police officer isn't an ass.

There were two firearms involved in the initial encounter ... And the only person pointing one at somebody and threatening them at the same time was the responding officer.

The irrational outrage and illogical posts from lefties here is a result of getting beaten numerous times by the NRA, the 2nd Amendment, and rational courts numerous times. It funny to read the abject stupidity that this butthurt has brought them to.

:popcorn:

Cool, another noob who prefers more dead people than less.

Osama bin Laden is nothing next to Wayne LaPierre. American guns kill way more people than Al-Qaeda ever did.

worth listening to

Yeah well ... I think the dispatcher handled the caller better than the police handled the man.
If the responding officer had any guts at all and knew the law ... They should have approached him differently.
There was no cause for excessive alarm from the caller ... There was no indication of imminent danger.
Unlawful detention could be an issue, although I would be less likely to pursue that if the police officer isn't an ass.

There were two firearms involved in the initial encounter ... And the only person pointing one at somebody and threatening them at the same time was the responding officer.

When a police officer hears the word "gun" they automatically prepare for the worst.

Not to defend the officers action but just clarifying his mindset. I wasn't able to see the video for some reason it never came up on the link provided but I'm wondering how much experience this officer had. In my experiences it's the younger cops that are more apt to respond in an excessive fashion when faced with an armed individual.

We have 300 million

How many do they have?

There are a good number of hunting weapons - rifles and shotguns - in Sweden. Some owned by my brothers in law. Neither they nor I know anyone, or have even heard of anyone, who owns a handgun.

Such international statistical comparisons as I have seen do not differentiate between hand guns and hunting weapons and are therefore not much use in this context.

I imagine there's a lot of things that you haven't heard of. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

In Sweden, private possession of handguns (pistols and revolvers) is permitted under license, in some cases, but not for the protection of person or property.

Sweden — Gun Facts, Figures and the Law

These LIB-pussy-men-who-pee-sitting-down are fools. Whenever they are in any sort of harms way who do they run to crying like the babies they are? Some one with a gun.
Some mental case starts waving a gun around in the supermarket and what's the first words out of these babies mouths? "ANYONE GOT A GUN?"

When a police officer hears the word "gun" they automatically prepare for the worst.

Not to defend the officers action but just clarifying his mindset. I wasn't able to see the video for some reason it never came up on the link provided but I'm wondering how much experience this officer had. In my experiences it's the younger cops that are more apt to respond in an excessive fashion when faced with an armed individual.

Well I think that is as much a part of our gun culture as anything else.

It is easy to understand that police officer is always thinking about worst possibilities ... But their duty is to serve and protect ... It is what they signed up for.
Waving a firearm around in a neighborhood with congested church traffic ... And with houses directly behind a man that is not breaking the law or acting suspiciously ... Would make me seriously doubt the judgment of the responding officer.

That poor police officer should be on desk duty until he can figure out it what it takes to man-up and respect the people he serves ... Before he gets someone killed.

Well I think that is as much a part of our gun culture as anything else.

It is easy to understand that police officer is always thinking about worst possibilities ... But their duty is to serve and protect ... It is what they signed up for.
Waving a firearm around in a neighborhood with congested church traffic ... And with houses directly behind a man that is not breaking the law or acting suspiciously ... Would make me seriously doubt the judgment of the responding officer.

That poor police officer should be on desk duty until he can figure out it what it takes to man-up and respect the people he serves ... Before he gets someone killed.

I agree, I didn't see the video but what you described was indeed improperly handled.

These LIB-pussy-men-who-pee-sitting-down are fools. Whenever they are in any sort of harms way who do they run to crying like the babies they are? Some one with a gun.
Some mental case starts waving a gun around in the supermarket and what's the first words out of these babies mouths? "ANYONE GOT A GUN?"

What cartoon world do you live in?

The irrational outrage and illogical posts from lefties here is a result of getting beaten numerous times by the NRA, the 2nd Amendment, and rational courts numerous times. It funny to read the abject stupidity that this butthurt has brought them to.

:popcorn:

Cool, another noob who prefers more dead people than less.

Osama bin Laden is nothing next to Wayne LaPierre. American guns kill way more people than Al-Qaeda ever did.

Oh, thanks for offering yourself up as an example of the stupidity I was talking about. If anyone was unclear about what and who I was talking about, they are clear now. Thanks.

But guns kill more people than knives, fists, feet, baseball bats, lead pipes combinedThat is why we are concerned with gun violence

Not true.

Actually plain falling kills TWICE as much people as firearms do.

should we ban sidewalks, roofs and ladders?

But guns kill more people than knives, fists, feet, baseball bats, lead pipes combinedThat is why we are concerned with gun violence

Not true.

Falling is not murder

2/3 of all MURDERS are caused by guns

To claim we can't do anything about gun violence untill all other possible causes of death are eliminated is ridiculous

What Americans do is none of my business but I'm glad that there are very, very few "people with guns" in Sweden.

Sweden crime stats.

Sweden had 58 people killed by firearms....something we should aspire to

Sweden has 9 million people.

we have 320 million.

it is almost 40 times more than we do.

58x40 is 2360 which is not that impressively less than our 11 000.

Most of our 11K is gang violence.

Sweden does not have gang violence at all.
Maybe we should address that aspect FIRST?

We have 300 million

How many do they have?

300 million averages out to less than one per person

That's not a lot.

Sweden has a population of 9 million so if they have more than 9 million guns in the country then they have more per person than we do.

euro%20gun%20owner.jpg

Sweden has one gun for every four people, we have a gun for almost evry American

Our murder rate is three times that of Sweden

Last edited:

Not true.

Falling is not murder

2/3 of all MURDERS are caused by guns

To claim we can't do anything about gun violence untill all other possible causes of death are eliminated is ridiculous

How many of those are from legally owned registered firearms?

I'm all for getting rid of illegal guns as long as you leave law abiding people alone.

We have 300 million

How many do they have?

300 million averages out to less than one per person

That's not a lot.

Sweden has a population of 9 million so if they have more than 9 million guns in the country then they have more per person than we do.

euro%20gun%20owner.jpg

Sweden has one gun for every four people, we have a gun for almost evry American

Our murder rate is three times that of Sweden

The murder rate is a red herring.

More people are killed by fists and feet than by rifles and shotguns combined.

And you have to be careful when comparing murder rates. For example in the UK a death is only called a murder after there is a conviction whereas we count all deaths not by accident or suicide murder no matter if there is a conviction or not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back