The Ethics of Capital Punishment

That is part of the price we pay for being imperfect human beings. Sometimes a jury of 12 gets it wrong. In the vast majority of cases, that error is corrected in the appeals process, making the system nearly fool proof.
Yes, I said nearly.

What would it cost us to make it TOTALLY foolproof? Giving up executing criminals seems a small price to pay to avoid completely killing innocent people. It's not as if the convicted would not be punished at all, or even that they wouldn't be punished severely.

That is part of the price we pay for being imperfect human beings. Sometimes a jury of 12 gets it wrong. In the vast majority of cases, that error is corrected in the appeals process, making the system nearly fool proof.
Yes, I said nearly.

What would it cost us to make it TOTALLY foolproof? Giving up executing criminals seems a small price to pay to avoid completely killing innocent people. It's not as if the convicted would not be punished at all, or even that they wouldn't be punished severely.

And what do we do to people that kill, go to jail and continue to kill while in jail?

And what do we do to people that kill, go to jail and continue to kill while in jail?

Keep them in jail, of course.

While we're at it, not put into prison anyone who ISN'T violent, and end the war on drugs, so the size of our prison population isn't a national embarrassment that makes us look like a third-world totalitarian dictatorship.

Executing the perpetrator has nothing to do with healing for a young, traumatized child. Out of control adults filled with their own vengeance and rage, will not help a traumatized child by telling the child the perpetrator has been executed.
I'm sure the kid would feel much better if they became pen pals with the person who raped and murdered their mom.

Hardly.

While we're at it, not put into prison anyone who ISN'T violent, and end the war on drugs, so the size of our prison population isn't a national embarrassment that makes us look like a third-world totalitarian dictatorship.

So your solution to a killer that continues to kill guards and other inmates is to just let him. Some justice there. Do you even have a brain?

True, let’s at least imprison those who actually deserve it.

Those who support the death penalty need to at least be honest and admit that it does not serve as a deterrent, mistakes can happen, and they must therefore allow for a full, comprehensive appellate process to unfold before someone is indeed executed.

I support the death penalty only in this context and if it’s the will of the people of a given state; I look forward to its end, however, which can not come too soon.

Heres a new pen pal for you:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FkA0XifMbo&feature=relmfu]Duncan jury shown the video - YouTube[/ame]

Quite a few to be found here.

of course that link proves the point
NO innocent person has been executed* which is what we are discussing *
those that a reason has been found to give them the benefit of the doubt has been released from prison
I'm pretty sure that I said convicted and got the DP.

Yup, I did.
so whats your point? if they were given the DP or LWP and were later released because of some doubt or lawyer mongering doesnt that prove the system works no person has even been *executed *and proven not guilty after .

of course that link proves the point
NO innocent person has been executed* which is what we are discussing *
those that a reason has been found to give them the benefit of the doubt has been released from prison
I'm pretty sure that I said convicted and got the DP.

Yup, I did.
so whats your point? if they were given the DP or LWP and were later released because of some doubt or lawyer mongering doesnt that prove the system works no person has even been *executed *and proven not guilty after .

No, that doesn't prove that the system works. The gov't covers its ass - it's set up not to let anyone prove that an innocent person has been executed.

Just look down in Texas where the evidence was mounting that an innocent man had been executed for arson and Rick Perry frickin' shut down the investigation.

Last edited:

So your solution to a killer that continues to kill guards and other inmates is to just let him. Some justice there. Do you even have a brain?

The solution is to isolate him.

To sum up, the position of a majority of posters on this thread is that capital punishment is morally right.

To sum up, the position of a majority of posters on this thread is that capital punishment is morally right.

That was a broadbrush....if you read the thread, and the other similar threads on the forum, your conclusion is not accurate.

That being said anyone who says its morally right and is pro-life has some serious splaining to do.

That was a broadbrush....if you read the thread, and the other similar threads on the forum, your conclusion is not accurate.

That being said anyone who says its morally right and is pro-life has some serious splaining to do.

Count the posters who are for and against.

Count the posters who are for and against.

Make a poll?

An eye for an eye. Right or wrong?

I say it is wrong.

All human life is sacred. Society has a moral obligation to protect human life, not take it. The death penalty harms society by cheapening the value of life. Allowing the state to inflict death on certain of its citizens legitimizes the taking of life. The death of anyone, even a convicted killer, diminishes us all. Society has a duty to end this practice which causes such harm, yet produces little in the way of benefits.
Tell that to the meatheads proudly wearing a uniform for their corporate masters."Heroes".........to the board of directors at Hallburton and crony.

Im for capital punishment. Sometimes the only way to pay for a crime is through the shedding of your own blood. In fact, my complaint isnt that we dont have capital punishment, but that there arent more crimes that qualify in our system.

For example, Robbery used to be a capital crime. For very obvious reasons when you realize someone who robs, say your cattle from you, when you need that cattle to provide for yourself and your family ends up giving your family a death sentence. Rape is another one that should be capital in some circumstances

It's pretty sick IMO when you want to kill someone over a crime where no one died.

Forum List

Back