The Ethics of Capital Punishment

The Quakers were the first to be against capital punishment. The United Methodist Church is against the DP. Catholics are against the DP. Buddhists are against the DP. American Baptist Churches are against the DP. the Evangelical Luthern Church of America is against the DP. Eastern Orthodox Churches against the DP. Presbyterian, Episcopal, and Reformed Churches of America all against the DP. United Church of Christ, against the DP. The Mennonites, Amish, and Unitarian Universalists have historically been among the most active groups in opposition to the death penalty.

Last edited:
Countries with 25 or more executions per year: Iraq , Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, USA.

Countries with 2 to 25 executions: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Japan, North Korea, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen.

Countries with 1 execution: Belarus, Botswana, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Kuwait.

Note: No other Western civilized country executes people. The US stands alone with the worst violators of human rights in the world.

Countries with 25 or more executions per year: Iraq , Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, USA.

Countries with 2 to 25 executions: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Japan, North Korea, Singapore, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen.

Note: No other Western civilized country executes people. The US stands alone with the worst violators of human rights in the world.

Your figures are wrong.

The Quakers were the first to be against capital punishment. The United Methodist Church is against the DP. Catholics are against the DP. Buddhists are against the DP. American Baptist Churches are against the DP. the Evangelical Luthern Church of America is against the DP. Eastern Orthodox Churches against the DP. Presbyterian, Episcopal, and Reformed Churches of America all against the DP. United Church of Christ, against the DP. The Mennonites, Amish, and Unitarian Universalists have historically been among the most active groups in opposition to the death penalty.

so whats your point ??
the churches some or all are against a lot of things we except in society ABORTION , ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION , BIRTH CONTROL etc . most religions have at some time or another been the reasons for wars
so i say again whats your point ?

truth is the church does,nt RUN the county those elected by the citizens do
and im glad about that .

so whats your point ??
the churches some or all are against a lot of things we except in society ABORTION , ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION , BIRTH CONTROL etc . most religions have at some time or another been the reasons for wars

and im glad about that .

My point is that these churches argue that the death penalty is not moral.

Your figures are wrong.

Prove it. Link?

so whats your point ??

and im glad about that .

who cares what the churches think they need to get there own houses in order first before preaching moral to others

so whats your point ??

and im glad about that .

who cares what the churches think they need to get there own houses in order first before preaching moral to others

I agee they need to get their own houses in order first. The topic is the ethics of capitial punishment. Some say their religion justifies state sanctioned pre-meditated vengeance, I show that some religions find abolition of the death penalty consistent with religious morals.

I agee they need to get their own houses in order first. The topic is the ethics of capitial punishment. Some say their religion justifies state sanctioned pre-meditated vengeance, I show that some religions find abolition of the death penalty consistent with religious morals.

It does not matter one damn bit what churches,religions or cults believe in. They have no bearing on the law, or sentencing.

The death penalty is not vengeance... what they get is far to good be called vengeance. The death penalty is the punishment for the crimes they committed.

It does not matter one damn bit what churches,religions or cults believe in. They have no bearing on the law, or sentencing.

The death penalty is not vengeance... what they get is far to good be called vengeance. The death penalty is the punishment for the crimes they committed.

It doesn't matter to YOU what religions think of the DP, but it matters to a discussion of the ETHICS of capital punishment. A popular bumper sticker shows the irony: "We murder people to show people that murder is wrong."

The death penalty is vengeance murder. The motivation behind execution is hatred toward the criminal and revenge. I understand having those kinds of feelings when you've been hurt beyond belief. I don't think the state should follow a human beings worst impulses when they are most vulnerable. The DP murders the criminal for the victims's family.

Some say it's for justice, but that's not true. When someone loved one is murdered there is no justice. Taking the life of the murder will not bring the victim back. All punishment by its nature is retributive, not only the death penalty. Whatever legitimacy, therefore, is to be found in punishment as just retribution can in principle be satisfied without recourse to executions. Criminals no doubt deserve to be punished, and punished with severity appropriate to their culpability and the harm they have caused to the innocent. But severity of punishment has its limits -- imposed both by justice and our common human dignity. Governments that respect these limits do not use premeditated, violent homicide as an instrument of social policy.

Governor John Kitzhaber just suspended the death penalty in Oregon for being morally wrong. I voted for Governor Kitzhaber and I'm proud of him.

"I refuse to be a part of this compromised and inequitable system any longer; and I will not allow further executions while I am governor." Governor John Kitzhaber

Last edited:

It doesn't matter to YOU what religions think of the DP, but it matters to a discussion of the ETHICS of capital punishment.

The death penalty is vengeance murder. It is the pre-meditated taking of one life in exchange for another.

Religion has ZERO bearing on the ethics of capitol punishment... though i am sure you would like it to. Unless we live under sharia law, as far as i know we don't, so religion means nothing.

Again, it is not vengeance. It is suffering the punishment of their crimes.... a known possibility and a chance they took.

It doesn't matter to YOU what religions think of the DP, but it matters to a discussion of the ETHICS of capital punishment.

The death penalty is vengeance murder. It is the pre-meditated taking of one life in exchange for another.

Religion has ZERO bearing on the ethics of capitol punishment... though i am sure you would like it to. Unless we live under sharia law, as far as i know we don't, so religion means nothing.

Again, it is not vengeance. It is suffering the punishment of their crimes.... a known possibility and a chance they took.

Yes, it is vengeance. Your own words have proven it many times. I remember you saying how much you'd like to do the killing yourself.

Religion means NOTHING to you, but morality means a great deal to most human beings. The DP is not moral for all the reasons I've previously mentioned in the posts you refuse to read.

Forum List

Back