The Fallacy of Race

You made a claim you couldn't prove and you call me a moron?

Grow up.

I DID prove it, moron.

Pay attention.

Nope you said almost everyday , and then offered up what about five days worth?

I (kindly) provided a representative sample that anyone but a moron like you would understand. In case you were wondering; yes, that is proof. Go ask an adult to explain it to you. If you really want 365 links, go google your little heart out.

Getting back to the op subject is an excerpt from the book.

The classifiers of the "races" of mankind who have devised
the various classificatory schemes of mankind during the last
hundred years have mostly agreed in one respect they have
unexceptionally taken for granted the one thing which they
were attempting to prove, namely, the existence of human
"races." Starting off with the fact that "extreme" types of man-
kind, such as Negro, white, and Mongol, could obviously be
recognized as races, they proceeded to refine these grosser
classifications by attempting to fit local groups of mankind
into similar racial schemes. Thus, to take a contemporary ex-
ample, Coon has recently created a large number of new
European "races" and "sub-races" upon the basis, principally,
of slight differences in the characters of the head exhibited by
different groups of Europeans, and this in spite of the fact

For the latest anthropological example of this fractionating method see
Coon, The Races of Europe.

4 Huxley and Haddon, We Europeans, p. 114. In order to avoid possible
misunderstanding of this passage, it is desirable to point out that by the
words "genetically purified into their original components" the authors do not
have reference to preexisting "pure races/' but to the earlier states of their
ancestral groups.

4 ORIGIN OF THE "RACE" CONCEPT

that it has been repeatedly shown that the form of the head
is not as constant a character as was formerly believed. 5 It is
true that some biologists have seen fit to create new sub-races
among lower animals on the basis of such single slight char-
acters as difference in pigmentation of the hair on a part of
the tail. Such a procedure would be perfectly justifiable if it
were taxonomically helpful. One would not even have to make
the requirement that animals in other groups shall not ex-
hibit this character, but one would have to insist that every
member of one or both sexes of the new subrace shall exhibit
it. No such requirement is fulfilled by the "races" and "sub-
races" which Coon has created.

Coon simply assumes that within any group a certain nu-
merical preponderance of heads of specified diameters and,
let us say, noses of a certain shape and individuals of a certain
stature are sufficient to justify the creation of a new "race" or
"sub-race." Few biologists would consider such a procedure
justifiable, and there are few anthropologists who would. Yet
this kind of overzealous taxonomy, which has its origin prin-
cipally in the desire to force facts to fit preexisting theories,
continues down to the present day. More often than not such
theories do not even require the sanction of facts to be put
forward as such. Thus, the term "race" and the concept
for which it stands represent one of the worst examples we
know of a word which from the outset begs the whole ques-
tion.

The very failure of ambitious anthropological attempts at
classification strongly suggests that human races do not, in
fact, exist in anything like the number that many of these
classifiers would have us believe.

From the standpoint of a classificatory view of mankind
which has due regard for the facts it is possible to recognize
four distinctive stocks or divisions of mankind. These are the

Boas, Changes in Bodily Form of Descendants of Immigrants; Shapiro,
Migration and Environment; Dornfeldt, "Studien fiber Schadelform und
Scha'delveranderung von Berliner Ostjuden und ihren Kindern," Zeit. f. Morph.
. Anthrop., XXXIX (1941), 290-372; Goldstein, Demographic and Bodily
Changes in Descendants of Mexican Immigrants.

No, my comments specifically and sufficiently addressed your 'invitation.' Try reading more carefully, moron.

More insults. Once again you proved me right.

This is a clumsy attempt at diversion. Hoping to put some distance between you and your failed attempts at making a point?

Wow you're on a roll. Insult after insult. That's all you have and once again you're proving me right.

in 3.....2........1.....

Nazis loved the concept of race

It has already been pointed out that in biological usage a
race is conceived to be a subdivision of a species which inher-
its the physical characteristics serving to distinguish it from
other populations of the species. In the genetic sense a race
may be defined as a population which differs in the incidence
of certain genes from other populations, with one or more of
which it is exchanging or is potentially capable of exchanging
genes across whatever boundaries (usually geographical) may
separate them. 8 If we are asked whether in this sense there
exist a fair number of races in the human species, the answer
is very definitely that there do. But this is not the sense in
which the racists and many of the race classifiers employ the
term. For them "race" represents a compound of physical,
mental, personality, and cultural traits which determines the
behavior of the individuals inheriting this alleged compound.

Let us see, as an example typical of this school, what a lead-
ing exponent of Nazi "race science," Dr. Lothar G. Tirala,
has to say upon this subject. 9 He begins by asserting that it is
"a well-grounded view that it is highly probable that different
human races originated independently of one another and
that they evolved out of different species of ape-men. The
so-called main races of mankind are not races, but species/'

Far from being "well-grounded," this is a view which no
biologist and no anthropologist with whom I am familiar
would accept. It is today generally agreed that all men belong
to the same species, that all were probably derived from the
same ancestral stock, and that all share in a common patrimony.

sDobzhansky, "On Species and Races of Living and Fossil Man," Amer. J.
Phys. Anthrop., N.S., II (1944), 251-65.
Tirala, Rasse, Geist und Seele.

More insults. Once again you proved me right.

This is a clumsy attempt at diversion. Hoping to put some distance between you and your failed attempts at making a point?

Wow you're on a roll. Insult after insult. That's all you have and once again you're proving me right.

in 3.....2........1.....

Your diversion is still not working. You were still PROVEN wrong, no matter how hard you close your eyes and jam your fingers in your ears, moron.

in 3.....2........1.....

Your diversion is still not working. You were still PROVEN wrong, no matter how hard you close your eyes and jam your fingers in your ears, moron.

I was proven wrong? Really? I wasn't the one that made a claim I couldn't back up. That was all you sparky.

Those who maintain that race is only a social construct need to explain what they mean by race and what they mean by social construct.

In addition, they need to present a set of circumstances that would disprove their assertion.

If they maintain that the average ability levels and behavior between the races are equivalent, this is clearly not true.

A person's race can be determined both by the person's skeleton, and by DNA. The different races differ not only by average ability levels and behavior, but by susceptibility to various diseases and congenital deficiencies. These differences can be explained by the different environments in which the races have evolved for thousands of years.

For example, blacks are more likely to suffer high blood sugar and its attendant problems than whites. This can be explained by the fact that they evolved in a hotter climate that required them to conserve salt.

Also, blacks are less susceptible to malaria. This is because malaria is endemic to sub Saharan Africa. During the thousands of years malaria has existed blacks have evolved various genetic resistances. This is also true for other diseases like sleeping sickness.

Until modern medicines were developed to treat these diseases white explorers who tried to penetrate the jungles of Africa nearly always died after a few months.

On the other hand, the New World had few dangerous diseases. White settlers brought with them diseases like smallpox and measles. Because these had existed for centuries in Europe Europeans had immunities that American Indians did not have.

When liberals tell us that race is only a social construct what they are really telling us is that we should not consider race. Then they violate what they are telling us by advocating affirmative action policies.

Those who maintain that race is only a social construct need to explain what they mean by race and what they mean by social construct. .

Or maybe ignorant cowards like you need to read the hundreds of links on the subject that have already been posted about this on thread after thread.

Those who maintain that race is only a social construct need to explain what they mean by race and what they mean by social construct. .

Or maybe ignorant cowards like you need to read the hundreds of links on the subject that have already been posted about this on thread after thread.

In your own words tell me what you mean by "race" and what you mean by "social construct."

For me race is a valid biological classification that enables us to predict within a certain range characteristics of members in the race.

As far as "social construct" is concerned, I am not sure what it means. That is why I am asking those who think race is only a social construct to define it.

Go and read; you lazy, ignorant shit. This stuff has been posted over and over and over.

Go and read; you lazy, ignorant shit. This stuff has been posted over and over and over.

There were a lot of copy and paste jobs. If I want hot air from the internet I will look for it myself. Unless you are able to explain what "social construct" means in your own words you don't understand it yourself.

What I mean by "race" is a group of human beings which for centuries or longer has evolved similar characteristics in response to a similar environment, and which has common ancestors.

I think this thread is a fallacy. We human beings are genetically the same, that is a fact. But Human beings are also nearly 99% genetically identical to apes....This thread is more about good intentions and political correctness. We humans have this need to find security within our little tribes, kinfolk, or race. I think that is a innate instinctual drive. We might be able to fight off that instinct and work together as a global community. Instinct is very powerful, and idealism and rationality not so much.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVH_45acqaM]Katie Couric puts the boots to racist Glenn Beck on his refusal to define 'white culture' - YouTube[/ame]

There were a lot of copy and paste jobs. If I want hot air from the internet I will look for it myself. Unless you are able to explain what "social construct" means in your own words you don't understand it yourself.

What I mean by "race" is a group of human beings which for centuries or longer has evolved similar characteristics in response to a similar environment, and which has common ancestors.

If you bothered to educated yourself even to the extremely limited extent of reading what has already been linked to over and over then YOU wouldn't need to waste so much of the oxygen you are wasting spouting the same old bullshit that, when you get down to it, is just an expression of your base cowardice.

Forum List

Back