The First 3D-Printed Gun Has Been Fired. What Future Problems?

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Gun control legislation in Washington is moving at a snail’s pace, if at all, but technological developments are moving at a much faster one.

The world’s first gun made mostly with a 3D printer has been test fired and now you can buy 3D printers at Staples SPLS +2.59%. Soon blueprints to print a 3D gun in a garage will be available online.

We are on the verge of entering an era in which governments across the world may not be able to control the supply of guns. This has profound political, cultural, social, and law enforcement implications.

The first 3D printed gun has been produced by Defense Distributed. Andy Greenberg of Forbes has provided excellent coverage here.

Defense Distributed is headed by a 25-year old law student, Cody Wilson. His website states that his goal is to “produce and publish a file for a completely printable gun.” For me, it is publishing the file that stands out.

I am an engineer. At least in theory printing a rudimentary gun seems easy, one that any good engineer should be able to accomplish with relative ease. However, availability of a blueprint online will make it simple for those without expertise to print a gun.

More: 3D Printed Guns Stir Up Governments, Shoot Air Into 3D Printing Bubble - Forbes/Nigam Arora, Contributor

Meet The 'Liberator': Test-Firing The World's First Fully 3D-Printed Gun - Forbes

Meet Steve Israel, The Congressman Who Wants To Ban 3D-Printed Guns (Q&A) - Forbes

The First 3D-Printed Gun Has Been Fired (VIDEO)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=drPz6n6UXQY]Liberator - Dawn of the Wiki Weapons - YouTube[/ame]

I know practically nothing about this technology - but it seems sort of scary. Imagine what improvements will be like. How do governments and law enforcement control such things?

So again, you cant control guns, worry about criminals and execute them, publicly if need be

I'm sure the founding fathers foresaw this when they wrote the 2nd Amendment.

When can I get one? That's my only problem.

Sincere question: Why would you want one? I would also guess that anyone with a computerized machine shop could crank them out - even in metal once they get the blueprint online.

Sincere question: Why would you want one? I would also guess that anyone with a computerized machine shop could crank them out - even in metal once they get the blueprint online.

to protect my home? Why do you care. See if someone uses it to kill, just execute them.

Does board management know you have two accounts?

I dont, you just have to accept you're in the minority....rdea...er lakhota

Gun control legislation in Washington is moving at a snail’s pace, if at all, but technological developments are moving at a much faster one.

The world’s first gun made mostly with a 3D printer has been test fired and now you can buy 3D printers at Staples SPLS +2.59%. Soon blueprints to print a 3D gun in a garage will be available online.

We are on the verge of entering an era in which governments across the world may not be able to control the supply of guns. This has profound political, cultural, social, and law enforcement implications.

The first 3D printed gun has been produced by Defense Distributed. Andy Greenberg of Forbes has provided excellent coverage here.

Defense Distributed is headed by a 25-year old law student, Cody Wilson. His website states that his goal is to “produce and publish a file for a completely printable gun.” For me, it is publishing the file that stands out.

I am an engineer. At least in theory printing a rudimentary gun seems easy, one that any good engineer should be able to accomplish with relative ease. However, availability of a blueprint online will make it simple for those without expertise to print a gun.

More: 3D Printed Guns Stir Up Governments, Shoot Air Into 3D Printing Bubble - Forbes/Nigam Arora, Contributor

Meet The 'Liberator': Test-Firing The World's First Fully 3D-Printed Gun - Forbes

Meet Steve Israel, The Congressman Who Wants To Ban 3D-Printed Guns (Q&A) - Forbes

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=drPz6n6UXQY]Liberator - Dawn of the Wiki Weapons - YouTube[/ame]

I know practically nothing about this technology - but it seems sort of scary. Imagine what improvements will be like. How do governments and law enforcement control such things?

But it seems sort of scary? Thanks for reaffirming the notion that gun control advocates like yourself are driven by emotion and fear rather than rational thinking. Nothing about an inanimate object being made by a 3D printer seems sort of scary to people like me who understand that mentally ill criminals kill people, not Law abiding citizens.

But it seems sort of scary? Thanks for reaffirming the notion that gun control advocates like yourself are driven by emotion and fear rather than rational thinking. Nothing about an inanimate object being made by a 3D printer seems sort of scary to people like me who understand that mentally ill criminals kill people, not Law abiding citizens.

Well, it's scary (problematic) for governments and law enforcement. It should also be a little scary to the average civilian.

When can I get one? That's my only problem.

to protect my home? Why do you care. See if someone uses it to kill, just execute them.

Why would you have your family live somewhere that you need a gun to protect your home?

Why would you have your family live somewhere that you need a gun to protect your home?

Well I wouldnt, and nor would most people, so why do people live in places they need a gun? Lets think about that for a little while.....really????

Forum List

Back