The First 3D-Printed Gun Has Been Fired. What Future Problems?

Since guns were invented, private citizens could make their own guns. You know why it rarely happens? The equipment to make them isnt cheap and it requires specialized training to operate. Assuming you had the enormous sum of cash youll need to buy a 3D printer, what makes you think you could program it with the specifications for making a plastic gun? Do you have a design you invented?

Relax people. 3D printer guns arent going to be a problem.

Last edited:

But it seems sort of scary? Thanks for reaffirming the notion that gun control advocates like yourself are driven by emotion and fear rather than rational thinking. Nothing about an inanimate object being made by a 3D printer seems sort of scary to people like me who understand that mentally ill criminals kill people, not Law abiding citizens.

Well, it's scary (problematic) for governments and law enforcement. It should also be a little scary to the average civilian.

To rational people... It isn't scary at all. Thanks for exposing your irrational emotional side.

I look forward to every child having one.

I also look forward to NRA gun nuts having gunfighter contests like in the movie "The Quick and the Dead" - for REAL. Wouldn't that be cool. I can't wait...

Well, if we have any problems, we can ban plastic. Eh Liberals?

Yup... If someone buys more than a specified (specified by big government) amount of polymers, they should no doubt be placed on some domestic terrorist watch list. Don't forget the impending 3D printer registry, and nobody should be allowed to own a 3D printer without a thorough background check. and of course a very expensive license to be granted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Printers (BATFP)... Providing you are willing to jump through all of the years of red tape required to obtain such a license, and have the financial means to pay for it. Kumbaya.

Attempting to control violence with gun control laws is like pissing on an anthill.

I also look forward to NRA gun nuts having gunfighter contests like in the movie "The Quick and the Dead" - for REAL. Wouldn't that be cool. I can't wait...

The NRA isn't gun nuts. gun nuts are criminals who possess illegal firearms and use them on innocent bystanders. As for you looking forward to real gunfighter contests, I must ask... When are you moving to Chicago?

The NRA isn't gun nuts. gun nuts are criminals who possess illegal firearms and use them on innocent bystanders. As for you looking forward to real gunfighter contests, I must ask... When are you moving to Chicago?

I'm not talking about gang warfare. I'm talking about macho NRA men facing each other in a televised gunfight like Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke. Of course, the loser's family would be compensated. That would be so cool.

BTW, why doesn't the NRA send some of its macho men into gangland Chicago to clean it up? That sounds like a good project for ole Ted "Shit My Pants" Nugent to lead.

Actually, the gun industry loves that gang violence.

I expect that the future will hold legislation banning and technology blocking the printing of these--and with the full cooperation of the gun lobby (who are, after all, only concerned with the profitability of the gun manufacturers that they represent)

This is sort of scary. Plastic guns undetectable in metal detectors. Presumably, you can melt them down. At what point do they become cheap enough and mass-marketed as disposable guns? How many criminals are going to want one of these. Imagine the crimes that people could get away with.

And not surprisingly, the conservative gun-lovers on this board are saying it should be their right to own one if they want, and calling people expressing common sense concern over this technology, gun-grabbers.

I can totally see the NRA defending this dangerous weapon.

Gun control legislation in Washington is moving at a snail’s pace, if at all, but technological developments are moving at a much faster one.

The world’s first gun made mostly with a 3D printer has been test fired and now you can buy 3D printers at Staples SPLS +2.59%. Soon blueprints to print a 3D gun in a garage will be available online.

We are on the verge of entering an era in which governments across the world may not be able to control the supply of guns. This has profound political, cultural, social, and law enforcement implications.

The first 3D printed gun has been produced by Defense Distributed. Andy Greenberg of Forbes has provided excellent coverage here.

Defense Distributed is headed by a 25-year old law student, Cody Wilson. His website states that his goal is to “produce and publish a file for a completely printable gun.” For me, it is publishing the file that stands out.

I am an engineer. At least in theory printing a rudimentary gun seems easy, one that any good engineer should be able to accomplish with relative ease. However, availability of a blueprint online will make it simple for those without expertise to print a gun.

More: 3D Printed Guns Stir Up Governments, Shoot Air Into 3D Printing Bubble - Forbes/Nigam Arora, Contributor

Meet The 'Liberator': Test-Firing The World's First Fully 3D-Printed Gun - Forbes

Meet Steve Israel, The Congressman Who Wants To Ban 3D-Printed Guns (Q&A) - Forbes

The First 3D-Printed Gun Has Been Fired (VIDEO)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=drPz6n6UXQY]Liberator - Dawn of the Wiki Weapons - YouTube[/ame]

I know practically nothing about this technology - but it seems sort of scary. Imagine what improvements will be like. How do governments and law enforcement control such things?

But it seems sort of scary? Thanks for reaffirming the notion that gun control advocates like yourself are driven by emotion and fear rather than rational thinking. Nothing about an inanimate object being made by a 3D printer seems sort of scary to people like me who understand that mentally ill criminals kill people, not Law abiding citizens.

Oh really?

You don't see problems with this?

Reagan outlawed all plastic guns..and for a reason. They are almost impossible to detect by standard means. Additionally, there's no way to track these weapons.

So much for your "rational thinking".

If you can't ban real guns, how can you expect to ban a plastic one? :rofl:

So again, you cant control guns, worry about criminals and execute them, publicly if need be

Once again, the right shows up with an answer that does not work. And an idiot shows up to thank him for his post.

LOL Im an idiot and you wonder why people live in high crime areas...you are just a genius my friend....GENIUS!

I did not call you an idiot. Sorry that you have such low self esteem.

Forum List

Back