The First 3D-Printed Gun Has Been Fired. What Future Problems?

When can I get one? That's my only problem.

Sincere question: Why would you want one? I would also guess that anyone with a computerized machine shop could crank them out - even in metal once they get the blueprint online.

That's the case NOW. Any good fab shop with a CAD-CAM system (which is pretty much all of them, now) can scan the parts of a gun into a computer, then make copies.

I expect that the future will hold legislation banning and technology blocking the printing of these--and with the full cooperation of the gun lobby (who are, after all, only concerned with the profitability of the gun manufacturers that they represent)

This is no threat to gun manufacturers...it's as much a threat to Smith & Wesson or Ruger as Superformance or Factory Five are to Ford Motor Company. You are delusional.

Anyone with a fraction of an ounce of common sense can see how a gun that is undetectable by metal detectors at airports, and which can be manufactured by any whackjob on a jihad is something we should all be very concerned about. A bullet does not contain enough metal to set off a metal detector.

Bullshit. A DIME will trip a metal detector.

The maker of the gun pretends he gives a flying fuck about this by asking people to insert a hunk of metal in the resin gun, but just how stupid does he think we are?

In your case: PLENTY STUPID!

Well, it's scary (problematic) for governments and law enforcement. It should also be a little scary to the average civilian.

They said on NPR this morning that these printed guns are non-traceable, and you probably cannot get ballistic evidence from them. Damn right these are scary. You gun nuts are certifiably insane.

Any gun can be made untraceable and there are tens of millions of guns with no ballistics. (I own one.) You're delusional.

It's already illegal to possess a firearm that cannot be detected by a walk-through scanner

relax

When can I get one? That's my only problem.

Sincere question: Why would you want one? I would also guess that anyone with a computerized machine shop could crank them out - even in metal once they get the blueprint online.

I hate to break this to you, but a gun isn't all that complicated. Any high school drafting student could design a working gun.

Making one is an entirely different proposition.

Look, Ma! I can drawz atom bomb!

Anyone with a thousand dollars and a brain in his head can make a 3D printer from readily available parts.

Actually, if you had a brain, you would know you can buy one from an office supply store. Easier.

Power really is passing into the hands of the people.

Who woulda thunk?

Clearly not you.

The power of technology was officially pushed to the limit on Sunday when the world's first 3D-printed gun fired a shot.

And California legislators are wasting no time fighting back.

State Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) said in a press release Tuesday that he plans to introduce legislation that would ban using technology to create weapons with 3D printers. "We must be proactive in seeking solutions to this new threat rather than wait for the inevitable tragedies this will make possible," he said.

More: California 3D Gun Legislation: Leland Yee To Introduce Measure Banning DIY Weapons

Gun control legislation in Washington is moving at a snail’s pace, if at all, but technological developments are moving at a much faster one.

The world’s first gun made mostly with a 3D printer has been test fired and now you can buy 3D printers at Staples SPLS +2.59%. Soon blueprints to print a 3D gun in a garage will be available online.

We are on the verge of entering an era in which governments across the world may not be able to control the supply of guns. This has profound political, cultural, social, and law enforcement implications.

The first 3D printed gun has been produced by Defense Distributed. Andy Greenberg of Forbes has provided excellent coverage here.

Defense Distributed is headed by a 25-year old law student, Cody Wilson. His website states that his goal is to “produce and publish a file for a completely printable gun.” For me, it is publishing the file that stands out.

I am an engineer. At least in theory printing a rudimentary gun seems easy, one that any good engineer should be able to accomplish with relative ease. However, availability of a blueprint online will make it simple for those without expertise to print a gun.

More: 3D Printed Guns Stir Up Governments, Shoot Air Into 3D Printing Bubble - Forbes/Nigam Arora, Contributor

Meet The 'Liberator': Test-Firing The World's First Fully 3D-Printed Gun - Forbes

Meet Steve Israel, The Congressman Who Wants To Ban 3D-Printed Guns (Q&A) - Forbes

The First 3D-Printed Gun Has Been Fired (VIDEO)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=drPz6n6UXQY]Liberator - Dawn of the Wiki Weapons - YouTube[/ame]

I know practically nothing about this technology - but it seems sort of scary. Imagine what improvements will be like. How do governments and law enforcement control such things?

This would seem to be a much bigger problem for countries with strict gun control laws. I don't see how it becomes a problem in the US. I might be wrong, but it seems the cost of producing one of these would be much more expensive than just going out and buying one.

Yep, the genie is out of the bottle. I foresee problems...

Clearly the answer here is to require background checks and registrationf for 3-D printers, and to add a gazillion % tax on sheets of resin and plastic.

From Cooke at The Corner | National Review Online

"The answer is we have to ban 3D. No one really needs a third dimension. If it will save just one life, it will be well worth it. Living in a two-dimensional world is just a sensible limitation on our depth perception."

Cooke- 'This is pretty funny but, as with most things that are pretty funny, it strikes at a real point – that being that the Second Amendment implications of limiting the printing of guns are the least of America’s worries. If previous panicked attempts to prohibit items of which the state disapproves are anything to go by, the whole Bill of Rights will eventually find its way into the crosshairs of the censors, liberty interests being subjugated as usual by ostensible “necessity.” There is simply no way of making a serious effort to prevent — not prosecute after the fact, but prevent — people from making, carrying, and transporting 3D-printed guns without going after Americans’ First Amendment right to distribute whatever blueprints they wish and without undermining in some way their Fourth Amendment right to privacy. Moreover, as we have seen with the disatrous War on Drugs, in the absence of a Prohibition-style constitutional amendment, the Constitution would likely get quite the run around in the process. The Gonzales v. Raich decision made clear that when it comes to prosecuting people of whom the federal government doesn’t approve, the Tenth and Fifth Amendments are deemed to be irrelevant in the face of the all powerful Commerce Clause. Do we really trust Chuck Schumer to consider the implications of his new hobby horse?'

A good point. It is not just the 'Genie out of the bottle' problem, by extension, all hand gun blueprints are controlled by the State Department?

"Arguing that, by making the files available internationally, Defense Distributed may have violated International Traffic in Arms Regulations, the State Department issued the following letter to the group’s founder, Cody Wilson:"

{The Department of State, Bureau of Political Military Affairs, Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance, Enforcement Division (DTCC/END) is responsible for compliance with and civil enforcement of the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2778) (AECA) and the AECA’s implementing regulations, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (22 C.F.R. Parts 120-130) (ITAR). The AECA and the ITAR impose certain requirements and restrictions on the transfer of, and access to, controlled defense articles and related technical data designated by the United States Munitions List (USML) (22 C.F.R. Part 121)....}

Last edited:
No reason this cannot be used to print functional AR-15 lower receivers.
So much for any possibility of ever banning them.

And -why- are the anti-gun loons up in arms about this?
Because it puts a kink in their efforts to improve public safety?
No.
It spells doom for their plans for the state to have a monopoly on force.

What seems to be the problem? Civilians have always been making guns since the Chinese figured out how to make gunpowder. Custom guns have been around for a long time and any 1st year metal shop student can build a single shot zip gun.

What seems to be the problem? Civilians have always been making guns since the Chinese figured out how to make gunpowder. Custom guns have been around for a long time and any 1st year metal shop student can build a single shot zip gun.
The problem?
If the citizenry remains armed, the state cannot have a monopoly on force.

Blueprints for 3D-plastic gun downloaded 100,000 times in 2 days before the State Department orders the site to take down the weapon designs
Blueprints for 3D-plastic gun downloaded 100,000 times in 2 days before the State Department orders the site to take down the weapon designs | Mail Online

'Until further notice, the US government claims control of the information'... New York Senator Chuck Schumer plans to introduce legislation that would ban plastic guns made from 3-D printers
Blueprints for 3D-plastic gun downloaded 100,000 times in 2 days before the State Department orders the site to take down the weapon designs | Mail Online

Forum List

Back