The First Excerpts Of Paul Krugman's Battle With Joe Scarborough Are Out...

The First Excerpts Of Paul Krugman's Battle With Joe Scarborough Are Out...

Paul Krugman Vs. Joe Scarborough On PBS: First Excerpts - Business Insider

http://www.alternet.org/does-joe-scarborough-really-think-he-can-outsmart-paul-krugman

http://www.businessinsider.com/krugman-i-just-blew-it-in-my-debate-with-joe-scarborough-2013-3

it looks like Krugman whiffed.

In a post titled "Urk" he writes (Via @buzzfeedben):

Well, we’ll see how it comes out after editing, but I feel that I just had my Denver debate moment: I was tired, cranky, and unready for the blizzard of misleading factoids and diversionary stuff (In 1997 you said that the aging population was a big problem! When Social Security was founded life expectancy was only 62!) Oh, and I wasn’t prepared for Joe Scarborough’s slipperiness about what he actually advocates (he’s for more spending in the near term? Who knew?).

We'll know more soon enough.

UPDATE: Via email, Krugman explains a little bit more about what happened:

Don't know what will make it into the program. But it was many of the usual zombies -- the US could handle debt after WWII only because all our competitors were in ruins, the Social Security age 62 plus the irrelevant 15 to 1 ratio from 1950, and the risk of a bond attack from nowhere -- all the stuff I've dealt with repeatedly on the blog, but wasn't prepared to rebut effectively all over again. Oh, and Charlie raised the damned Reinhart-Rogoff 90 percent.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/krug...ate-with-joe-scarborough-2013-3#ixzz2MddxX2Uc

Last edited:
Just from the little bit, as always, Krugman makes real suggestions. Then they show what Scarborough says:

SCARBOROUGH: “You want to get the parties talking.

Huh? "You want to get the parties talking?" That's it? He says the same thing on his show. "Get them talking". Then nothing.

Let me summarize:

Corporations are making historic profits. That means the problem is old people on Social Security.

There, did that help?

rdean said:
Just from the little bit, as always, Krugman makes real suggestions. Then they show what Scarborough says:

SCARBOROUGH: “You want to get the parties talking.

Huh? "You want to get the parties talking?" That's it? He says the same thing on his show. "Get them talking". Then nothing.

Let me summarize:

Corporations are making historic profits. That means the problem is old people on Social Security.

There, did that help?

relocated

we have more than one PBS station out here in this market. have to watch it again, catch the whole thing start to finish

but it was funny watching Mourning Joe do his routine. Had to bring up Al Gore and complain that Gore and Krugman complain about ad hominem attacks, only to then attack Krugman personally

Their dispute is reflective of a bigger divide: On one side is the standard Washington wise man/centrist pundit view of the world, embodied by Scarborough and some of the people he cites, like former Joint Chiefs chair Mike Mullen and Richard Haass of the Council on Foreign Relations. On the other are a wide variety of economists—avowed liberals like Krugman, but also the not-particularly-ideological analysts at places like the Federal Reserve, major bank economics shops, and business forecasting firms, who generally see wisdom in reducing the deficit over time but also see big risks to the economy if the effort moves to fast, and not much reason to fear an imminent debt crisis.

But to economists, deficits are simply the difference between revenues and outlays. A large deficit could be a good thing if it’s going toward a productive investment. A small deficit can be a bad thing if the economy needs more support. So if you’re worried about deficits, you need to say why.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...economist-pundit-divide-on-debt-and-deficits/

Last edited:
If Krugman won a substantive point let's hear it or admit you're wasting time.

Krugman is basically a fool who along with Paul Samuelson cant/couldn't understand why the Depression did not come back as government spending died after WW 2. That's why he recently proposed that we pretend an alien attack was imminent and start building weapons to defend ourselves.

Didn't his advice get us the 2008 meltdown? The other Paul, Ron, tried to warn him but Paul K would have none of that...

Krugman is an academic. Mourning Joe is a pundit and campaigner.
Ferret face is a polemicist, propagandist and demagogue....The morning Schmoe is a token (R) on a network filled to the gills with polemicists, propagandists and demagogues.

They're two meas on a pod, two sides of the same coin, two wings of the same sick carrion feeding bird.

Didn't his advice get us the 2008 meltdown? The other Paul, Ron, tried to warn him but Paul K would have none of that...

Ron Paul is like a broken clock. And Krugman writing on economic matters ages ago when the economy was different? Context

Krugman is basically a fool who along with Paul Samuelson cant/couldn't understand why the Depression did not come back as government spending died after WW 2. That's why he recently proposed that we pretend an alien attack was imminent and start building weapons to defend ourselves.

Government spending didn't die after wwII.

You forget the GI Bill, the superhighways built by Eisenhower or the Korean War?

:cuckoo:

Krugman is an academic. Mourning Joe is a pundit and campaigner.
Ferret face is a polemicist, propagandist and demagogue....The morning Schmoe is a token (R) on a network filled to the gills with polemicists, propagandists and demagogues.

They're two meas on a pod, two sides of the same coin, two wings of the same sick carrion feeding bird.

Okay Doktor

Government spending didn't die after wwII.

You forget the GI Bill, the superhighways built by Eisenhower or the Korean War?

:cuckoo:

dear, Krugman and Samuelson were concerned about the spending levels after WW 2 because they went way way down from 55% of GDP to 18%.

They very very stupidily thought it would bring back the depression because they very very stupidly think government spending is magical rather than soviet or Solyndra-like.

note: edited:
I agree with the below:

“While the economist seemed to expect an academic and substantive discourse, the former congressman came prepared with opposition research on Krugman’s past statements and debated his foe like he would an opposing candidate in an election. Scarborough was on the attack from the beginning and didn’t let up, even mocking the Nobel laureate at times, and occasionally misrepresenting his own or Krugman’s arguments to make a point.”

Read more: Social media scores Scarborough and Krugman bout - Mackenzie Weinger - POLITICO.com

“I thought Krugman did fairly well given what he was dealing with. He thought he was going to have a policy debate, but Joe Scarborough brought a political debate,” he wrote. “The fact that Krugman was unprepared for the misleading factoids and diversions should give him a bit of insight into what President Obama has gone through from the moment that he came into office.”

Read more: Social media scores Scarborough and Krugman bout - Mackenzie Weinger - POLITICO.com

Last edited:
I agree with the below:

“While the economist seemed to expect an academic and substantive discourse, the former congressman came prepared with opposition research on Krugman’s past statements and debated his foe like he would an opposing candidate in an election. Scarborough was on the attack from the beginning and didn’t let up, even mocking the Nobel laureate at times, and occasionally misrepresenting his own or Krugman’s arguments to make a point.”

“I thought Krugman did fairly well given what he was dealing with. He thought he was going to have a policy debate, but Joe Scarborough brought a political debate,” he wrote. “The fact that Krugman was unprepared for the misleading factoids and diversions should give him a bit of insight into what President Obama has gone through from the moment that he came into office.”

too stupid!!! Did Krugman make any good point at all. If so what was it!!!!
You're concerned about it as a horserace because you lack the IQ for the substance of the debate.

I agree with the below:

You're concerned about it as a horserace because you lack the IQ for the substance of the debate.
On economic policy, yes. Like Scarborough, you would strive to make political points in a policy debate ad would misrepresent most everything you had to in order to score political points. It is your m.o.

Scarborough said anyone that knew him well knew he never engages in ad hominem attacks? Really?
The world-historical event never comes up at Republican conventions; the only impeachment firebrands still prominent in our politics today are Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, and Joe Scarborough, who hosts a TV show. Some of the reporters who made their careers chasing phantom crimes all over Arkansas are still around, but the second impeachment of a president in our history might as well have taken place on the moon. There are a number of reasons for this. I generally include shame among them.

Read more: Bill Clinton PBS Documentary - Impeachment Blues - Esquire Bill Clinton PBS Documentary - Impeachment Blues - Esquire

First, I followed Mourning Joe since his days in Congress and the incident where Lori Klausutis, an aide was found dead in Joe Scarborough's office. Iremember when back in 2003, Scarborough joked about this tragedy on the Don Imus on Imus's radio program. btw, Joe resigned real quick in 2001. Talk:Joe Scarborough/Archive 01 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I agree with the below:

On economic policy, yes. Like Scarborough, you would strive to make political points in a policy debate ad would misrepresent most everything you had to in order to score political points. It is your m.o.

Scarborough said anyone that knew him well knew he never engages in ad hominem attacks? Really?
The world-historical event never comes up at Republican conventions; the only impeachment firebrands still prominent in our politics today are Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, and Joe Scarborough, who hosts a TV show. Some of the reporters who made their careers chasing phantom crimes all over Arkansas are still around, but the second impeachment of a president in our history might as well have taken place on the moon. There are a number of reasons for this. I generally include shame among them.

Read more: Bill Clinton PBS Documentary - Impeachment Blues - Esquire Bill Clinton PBS Documentary - Impeachment Blues - Esquire

First, I followed Mourning Joe since his days in Congress and the incident where Lori Klausutis, an aide was found dead in Joe Scarborough's office. Iremember when back in 2003, Scarborough joked about this tragedy on the Don Imus on Imus's radio program. btw, Joe resigned real quick in 2001. Talk:Joe Scarborough/Archive 01 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perfect air head liberal can't identify even one good point on economics that Krugman made??

Perfect air head liberal can't identify even one good point on economics that Krugman made??

Dante knows better than to attempt to engage you in a rational debate on economic or any other policy points made. I have no interest in a back and forth with a moron like you

Last edited:

Forum List

Back