The Friday Five

Does anyone remember cap guns? You would thread a strip of red paper caps (little dots of gunpowder sealed in perforated paper) into your gun and it would POP nearly every time you pulled the trigger. Of course the temptation to smack a roll of caps with a hammer was too great and many caps went off together rather than separately.

Kids used caps as a gateway toy to bigger explosions. Lady finger firecrackers lead to M-80s and cherry bombs. It's all fun until someone loses an eye!

I forgot all about cap guns. I loved those things. Nowadays you are likely to get shot by a cop playing with one. :doubt:

1. As a child, what was your favorite toy?
Like Coyote I loved my model horses more than anything. Also modeling clay.

2. Were you more likely to play by yourself or with other children?
With other children when available, but also enjoyed playtime by myself when I could be more creative.

3. What was your favorite children's game?
By myself, using the modeling clay to build sets and make up stories using the horses. With the other kids, sandlot baseball and playing cowboys and Indians.

4. What kind of play were you most interested in?
Imaginative stuff acted out with other kids or by myself.

5. How well did you share?
I had no siblings near my own age and all the other neighborhood kids were a lot richer than I was so I didn't have anything they wanted me to share.

Does anyone remember cap guns? You would thread a strip of red paper caps (little dots of gunpowder sealed in perforated paper) into your gun and it would POP nearly every time you pulled the trigger. Of course the temptation to smack a roll of caps with a hammer was too great and many caps went off together rather than separately.

Kids used caps as a gateway toy to bigger explosions. Lady finger firecrackers lead to M-80s and cherry bombs. It's all fun until someone loses an eye!

I remember playing with caps. We used to light the rolls on fire so they would go off like firecrackers.
We used to steal away to the railroad tracks once we hit 11 or 12 years old. Pennies on the tracks became talisman. Nickels were too dear to be wasted under the wheels of the coal trains. But once we found that a book of matches would explode like a fire cracker under the weight of a freight train, Sally bar the door!

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

1. major mat mason (action figure) and all the equipment.
2. there were 7 kids in my family so playing by yourself was a luxury, as was spending more then 5 min in the bathroom.
3. hide and seek board game: life
4. don't understand the question ,the word play could mean almost anything.
5. refer to answer 2.

I enjoyed all of my toys, but my favorites were my lionel train set along with my hot
wheels race track.

Generally played with the neighborhood kids.

My favorite children's game that I also actively participated in was baseball.

I really enjoyed playing cops and robbers or Cowboys and Indians.

I shared my toys and cookies my mom made with the neighborhood kids.

I enjoyed all of my toys, but my favorites were my lionel train set along with my hot
wheels race track.

ok, jug
which was better hot wheels or johnny lighting?

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

1. Probably my Nintendo or GI Joe figures.
2. i had a group of friends. We kept each other out of trouble. I still talk to most of them.
3. Monopoly. Yeah Im a geek
4. Swimming in the pool during the summer I suppose
5. Well enough. I never had too many complaints.

1. I was never into toys, though I did go to the homes of children that I now realize were more well off, and wished I had a G.I Joe.

2. I played by myself just fine, but always played with others when they were around.

3. Favorite game I guess was War, you know, building forts of some kind and bombing each other with dirt balls and what have you that could be thrown without real harm.

4. Out in the forest building forts or treehouses, pretending we were knights or whatever. In winter, we built caves in the mountains of hay bales stacked in our humogous barns. In summer we built rafts of whatever we could find and sailed down the Kanawha and Ohio Rivers like Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn.

5. I was good at sharing. I usually got what I needed. Now living in Sweden, I know the Vikings once called it "Logrum," which the closest you can interpret is "enough" as they passed a common mug around, and each man took what he needed.

Last edited:

Mostly, anything outside. In the house, I think it would have to be Rock-em Sock-em Robots.

7 Kids in our house and tons of neighbors....Never had lack of teammates or adversaries for a 15 on a side football game.

War. right behind our house was a carpet cleaners. And they had an exhaust where all the dust came out. You gould actually make like a snowball out of it.. Wasn't ever any "Got you..No you didn't"

Anything outside...

Like we had a choice?

1. My pedal car. Before I got a handbag, I was HelenWheels.
10pslt2.jpg

2. By myself.
3. The Game of Life.
4. Swimming in the summer and ice skating in the winter.
5. I'm an only. Didn't have to. :D

wheels race track.

ok, jug
which was better hot wheels or johnny lighting?
I never had the Johnny Lightning race track, but from what I heard it was better. I don't think they even had them yet back in the late 1960's when I got the Hot Wheels. I recall hot wheels and Johnny Lightning feuding at one point.

I remember playing with caps. We used to light the rolls on fire so they would go off like firecrackers.
We used to steal away to the railroad tracks once we hit 11 or 12 years old. Pennies on the tracks became talisman. Nickels were too dear to be wasted under the wheels of the coal trains. But once we found that a book of matches would explode like a fire cracker under the weight of a freight train, Sally bar the door!

My mother told stories of her adventures as a child growing up in Cedar Hill, TX (a tiny suburb of Dallas at that time.) On Halloween, they would smear a liberal dose of heavy axle grease on the railroad tracks so that the daily train would slip and struggle to make it up the hill near the family home.

My knife. I was never without it.

I never played with other children.

I did not play games at all

Setting up Lincoln Log villages and shooting them down with a bow and arrow

I never had to share

My mother told stories of her adventures as a child growing up in Cedar Hill, TX (a tiny suburb of Dallas at that time.) On Halloween, they would smear a liberal dose of heavy axle grease on the railroad tracks so that the daily train would slip and struggle to make it up the hill near the family home.
My Uncle Ducky and his brother, my grandfather did the same thing to the trolley tracks that came down the Lisbon Street hill. They giggled when they recalled the trolley slipping out into the middle of East Eighth Street. The screams of the women passengers, the wide eyed frightened look of the conductor and the screeching brakes of the Hudsons and Packards as they tried to avoid a collision all made their memories of the prank sweeter. Such rascals I claim as ancestors!

dirtbike
small group, didn't like a crowd
Kings corner. a card game
anything that involved getting dirty
shared whatever I had

Forum List

Back