The Friday Five

1. As a child, what was your favorite toy?

Just one? Blarg! My stuffed Lassie dog, (stuffed animals in general) and matchbox cars.

2. Were you more likely to play by yourself or with other children?

Both.

3. What was your favorite children's game?

Run the bases, Barbies, bikes.

4. What kind of play were you most interested in?

That which required the use of my im-ag-in-aaaation.

5. How well did you share?

Somedays better than others.

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

Tough one.....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI]Chuck Berry - My Ding-A-Ling (1972) - YouTube[/ame]
Chuck Berry - My Ding-A-Ling (1972)

My second favorite toy was my bicycle.

Either. Friends were always preferred though. :):):)

Year round? Ringalerio.

Pool? Blind-Man's Bluff/MarcoPollo.

Group, Team.

That depends on circumstance. I like to take care of my things. Abuse it, lose the privilege. ;)

1. Microscopes, telescopes, bikes, footballs, chess and army men

2. Both

3. Scrabble

4. Musical instruments, theater, voice, sports

5. Very well

Haha Connery was a nerd!

That's okay, I always liked nerds when I was a kid.

Never thought it that way. I was also studying accounting and law at an early age, I believed in delayed gratification or so I thought. It all ran it's course and I retired years ago. Now I raise my boy and travel...who knew?....:dunno:

So happy [MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION] asked:

My fabulous trolls.

Other children, but usually one or two at a time.

Pretend. My best friend and I used to orchestrate pretend games, often orphans escaping from some horrible aunt. (Inspiration: The Wolves of Willoughby Chase).

Something very imaginative.

Very well...I used to make troll clothes for anyone who was interested. I was the Coco Chanel of troll fashion.

The Wolves of Willoughy Chase and Trolls - omg that brings back memories. One of my favorite childhood books along with Wrinkle in Time and the Narnian Chronicles.

We used to make felt outfits for the trolls. :)

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

I got a new GI Joe for Christmas one year. He was black. I cried when I opened the box. Later he volunteered for all the dangerous missions. He had a beard and a kung-fu grip. He was as tough as nails. I loved that his arms and legs rarely popped off - even when thrown off the roof of our house with a makeshift parachute (that never worked!) He lost one half of his thumb when he held on to a firecracker once....but other than that, he was always ready to play. He was by far my favorite toy. Rock em Sock em Robots were a distant second.

I could always play alone, but my best fondest play memories are with others.

Poker.

Sports.

I shared everything. I still do today.

Does anyone remember cap guns? You would thread a strip of red paper caps (little dots of gunpowder sealed in perforated paper) into your gun and it would POP nearly every time you pulled the trigger. Of course the temptation to smack a roll of caps with a hammer was too great and many caps went off together rather than separately.

Kids used caps as a gateway toy to bigger explosions. Lady finger firecrackers lead to M-80s and cherry bombs. It's all fun until someone loses an eye!

I remember playing with caps. We used to light the rolls on fire so they would go off like firecrackers.
We used to steal away to the railroad tracks once we hit 11 or 12 years old. Pennies on the tracks became talisman. Nickels were too dear to be wasted under the wheels of the coal trains. But once we found that a book of matches would explode like a fire cracker under the weight of a freight train, Sally bar the door!

the railroad tracks ran behind my parents house. we were always back there putting pennies on the track. we used to also line up small rocks for like a hundred feet. when the train went over them it sounded like a machine gun. a coal fired steam engine still pulled the passenger train. hot cinders from the stack were always starting brush fires

Tough one.....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI]Chuck Berry - My Ding-A-Ling (1972) - YouTube[/ame]
Chuck Berry - My Ding-A-Ling (1972)

My second favorite toy was my bicycle.

Either. Friends were always preferred though. :):):)

Year round? Ringalerio.

Pool? Blind-Man's Bluff/MarcoPollo.

Group, Team.

That depends on circumstance. I like to take care of my things. Abuse it, lose the privilege. ;)

Everyone should have a ding-a-ling to play with.

1 Big roll of paper my mom got me to draw on. I made up an entire world with maps a history and several made-up religions.

2 I invented games for the other kids to play.
Eight kids-one bathroom, boy do I understand that one...did you guys have to share baths?
I used to get to left over rolls of paper from work for my granddaughters' classes, they loved them!

Hard to do favorite toy,and it was a long time ago,different ones for each season. Flying saucers great in winter, bike was mandatory as car is today. Kids would always come to school with new fads like yoyos or slinkees.

Lived in country on farm, always busy, two brothers and one sister. It was idyllic.

Roger on building forts, cowboys and Indians,and exploring. Great grandfather and I played countless games of canasta. Always good with numbers after that.

Life never stopped moving and changing and mother was ahead of her time as over-achieving parent. So we did it all back then, though they tried to steer me to gentlemen sports like tennis and horseback riding instead of what I was really suited for.

Momma and daddy didn't raise no spoiled brats, you shared or you got an ass-whipping, that's how long ago that was.

Nice exercise Syrenn!

I didn't have a favorite go to toy...I had lots of choices thanks to a mom who set up a fantastic play room with all sorts of sections. I didn't have the chance to get bored.

I think it was a good balance of both. My mom worked and I went to a neighbor's house who had lots of kids to play with, plus the other neighborhood kids. I was an only child until 11, and very content to entertain myself.

My Grandma got me hooked on Rummy and Yahtzee.

Loved the nice weather when we could all hop on our bikes and go into the woods and traverse the paths and look for new areas to make forts.

In regards to my belongings, outwardly I would be polite and share, but inside I was not usually pleased because I was very particular about how my things were treated.

1. A wooden Jeep pedal car, lovingly made by an uncle.

2. With other children but in small groups.

3. Playing at building stuff.

4. Taking apart stuff like batteries and old radios.

5. With one other at any given time, very well. With groups? Not so much.

1. Dolls, I was a dolls girl, and playhouses.
2. I played with other kids, cousins, but could entertain myself quite well.
3. Jumping rope.....we could do it with two ropes going opposite ways.
4. When I played with my boy cousins I loved to play tag football, with girls it was
dress-up, dolls, dishes (we made food from our fruit trees).
5. I didn't have to share much, everyone had their own skates, bike, etc.. (when I was very young, like 3, I wouldn't share at all, pushed my cousin off my trike.)

My parents always got me dolls which I had no interest in at all. Since I got hand me downs from my cousin I got all his old toys too so I got tinkertoys and tonka trucks. They were at least interesting. I even got a little train set. I would wind up the train and watch the cat go crazy, then the dog.

A little late as I just noticed the invite

1. My dog
2. Other children
3. Monopoly
4. Sports
5. Very well

I have to admit. I know just about everyone says they were into sharing, but sometimes I wasn't. After I was 9 my mom came down sick and we lost half of our income, so I didn't get much of anything for Christmas and rarely for birthdays. When it came to food or whatnot, sure, I liked sharing with my friends, but my toys, hell no. My friends never took care of their stuff so why give them a chance to break mine?

When you're poor it's harder to share than when you're rich. That's the thing, some may call it selfish, but you have to take care of your own first, and when you don't have enough to give away it's silly to make the sacrifice unless it's a worthy sacrifice.

It's rare that a child wants to sacrifice in such a manner and if they do they discover that the rewards aren't all that great. I guess each situation is different. It all depended on the situation, so it's nice that everyone feels they where sharing but let's face it, there is a difference between charity and being forced to do something because of guilt. The reason makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited:

1) Inside: Atari, Electronics Kit, slot racing, strategy games... Outside: Cushman Mini Bike, Kites, Bikes, Balls, Kit Airplanes
2) Others
3) Truth or Dare with the girls
4) Sports
5) The concept of not sharing was unknown to me.

Last edited:

1. A football
2. With that toy? With others, it is pretty hard to have even a game of catch alone.
3. Not sure I would call it a child's game but we used to play a double solitaire game we called Nertz.
4. Sports
5. Pretty well.

I didn't have a favorite go to toy...I had lots of choices thanks to a mom who set up a fantastic play room with all sorts of sections. I didn't have the chance to get bored.

I think it was a good balance of both. My mom worked and I went to a neighbor's house who had lots of kids to play with, plus the other neighborhood kids. I was an only child until 11, and very content to entertain myself.

My Grandma got me hooked on Rummy and Yahtzee.

Loved the nice weather when we could all hop on our bikes and go into the woods and traverse the paths and look for new areas to make forts.

In regards to my belongings, outwardly I would be polite and share, but inside I was not usually pleased because I was very particular about how my things were treated.

we were always making forts. its funny because when I go back to my parents house now and walk through the woods is see remnants of a lot of the forts we built 45-50 years ago. especially the tree forts

Forum List

Back