The Friday Five

1. As a child, what was your favorite toy?
I enjoyed all of my toys, but my favorites were my lionel train set along with my hot
wheels race track.

2. Were you more likely to play by yourself or with other children?
Generally played with the neighborhood kids.

3. What was your favorite children's game?
My favorite children's game that I also actively participated in was baseball.

4. What kind of play were you most interested in?
I really enjoyed playing cops and robbers or Cowboys and Indians.

5. How well did you share?
I shared my toys and cookies my mom made with the neighborhood kids.
ok, jug
which was better hot wheels or johnny lighting?
I never had the Johnny Lightning race track, but from what I heard it was better. I don't think they even had them yet back in the late 1960's when I got the Hot Wheels. I recall hot wheels and Johnny Lightning feuding at one point.
jug they did have them then I had both..... the johnny lightnings didn't stand up to crashes very well if you had the hot wheels double loop track you'd have known this!

ok, jug
I never had the Johnny Lightning race track, but from what I heard it was better. I don't think they even had them yet back in the late 1960's when I got the Hot Wheels. I recall hot wheels and Johnny Lightning feuding at one point.
jug they did have them then I had both..... the johnny lightnings didn't stand up to crashes very well if you had the hot wheels double loop track you'd have known this!

My....aren't we special! :smoke:

My....aren't we special! :smoke:
I guess so if doing yard work for the neighbors and getting paid for it so I could buy what I wanted yes, I guess I'm am.
there were no free lunches in my parents house if you wanted birthday gifts or Christmas gifts you put something in the kitty.

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

Easy Baked Oven
I wanted to play alone, but my siblings were very demanding
Hide N Seek
I loved climbing and swimming and running
Very well, I just wish my sister learned to share. Damn she is stingy

Oh and my family was real big in playing baseball. We had a baseball diamond in our back yard

I have to admit. I know just about everyone says they were into sharing, but sometimes I wasn't. After I was 9 my mom came down sick and we lost half of our income, so I didn't get much of anything for Christmas and rarely for birthdays. When it came to food or whatnot, sure, I liked sharing with my friends, but my toys, hell no. My friends never took care of their stuff so why give them a chance to break mine?

When you're poor it's harder to share than when you're rich. That's the thing, some may call it selfish, but you have to take care of your own first, and when you don't have enough to give away it's silly to make the sacrifice unless it's a worthy sacrifice.

It's rare that a child wants to sacrifice in such a manner and if they do they discover that the rewards aren't all that great. I guess each situation is different. It all depended on the situation, so it's nice that everyone feels they where sharing but let's face it, there is a difference between charity and being forced to do something because of guilt. The reason makes all the difference in the world.

I wasn't a good sharer.

But I had friends and cousins who shared sweetly with me. So I admired them and felt sad that I didn't have that instinct.

We weren't poor, but I was insecure -- moved around a lot without good reason -- it wasn't until I was over 30 that my age caught up with the number of places I'd lived.

I did meet a few generous young people along the way.

Last edited:
I have to admit. I know just about everyone says they were into sharing, but sometimes I wasn't. After I was 9 my mom came down sick and we lost half of our income, so I didn't get much of anything for Christmas and rarely for birthdays. When it came to food or whatnot, sure, I liked sharing with my friends, but my toys, hell no. My friends never took care of their stuff so why give them a chance to break mine?

When you're poor it's harder to share than when you're rich. That's the thing, some may call it selfish, but you have to take care of your own first, and when you don't have enough to give away it's silly to make the sacrifice unless it's a worthy sacrifice.

It's rare that a child wants to sacrifice in such a manner and if they do they discover that the rewards aren't all that great. I guess each situation is different. It all depended on the situation, so it's nice that everyone feels they where sharing but let's face it, there is a difference between charity and being forced to do something because of guilt. The reason makes all the difference in the world.

I wasn't a good sharer.

But I had friends and cousins who shared sweetly with me. So I admired them and felt sad that I didn't have that instinct.

We weren't poor, but I was insecure -- moved around a lot without good reason -- it wasn't until I was over 30 that my age caught up with the number of places I'd lived.

I did meet a few generous young people along the way.

I think with you if someone is important enough to share with they would feel lucky.

The Friday Five is something I have enjoyed on many forums. How about we all have some fun with it here.

Teddy
Other children
Putting on shows for any captive audience in the garden
Swinging on the front gate
Very well

As a child, I could have anything I wanted. We were not rich, but well off, I guess the word is. Which is why I didn't mind sharing with those who had nothing. However, after Dad died, all that changed. I bailed home at 17 to get away from Ma and dad died about 3 months later. Then she promptly cut me out of the will with the help of her new slick lawyer. After that...I didn't have much. I fought for everything I had, worked by ass off, took care of my own, ON my own, any way I could.
However, I never got over the sharing thing. Still do that to this day. If someone needs something more than I do...I give it to them. Or share it, whatever "it" is.

#4 question I didn't understand so I put NONE. My favorite play to do was just getting away from home on my bike, climbing trees, being with nature in open fields, alone. But nothing beat being up in a tree as high as I could go,being covered with leaves so nobody could see me up there.

As a child, I could have anything I wanted. We were not rich, but well off, I guess the word is. Which is why I didn't mind sharing with those who had nothing. However, after Dad died, all that changed. I bailed home at 17 to get away from Ma and dad died about 3 months later. Then she promptly cut me out of the will with the help of her new slick lawyer. After that...I didn't have much. I fought for everything I had, worked by ass off, took care of my own, ON my own, any way I could.
However, I never got over the sharing thing. Still do that to this day. If someone needs something more than I do...I give it to them. Or share it, whatever "it" is.

#4 question I didn't understand so I put NONE. My favorite play to do was just getting away from home on my bike, climbing trees, being with nature in open fields, alone. But nothing beat being up in a tree as high as I could go,being covered with leaves so nobody could see me up there.

I could always climb like a monkey.

I didn't go there not to be seen, but so I could see everything better.

as kid living in socal in the 60's we had built in areas to play war in they were called orange groves.
can't remember how many times I came home covered with pulp, juice and rotten orange goo.
then have my mom go batshit on me with the belt or brush or whatever was handy.
damn! it was soooo worth it!

ok, jug
I don't recall if they had the Johnny Lightning when I got my hot wheels, but some neighborhood kids also had the hot wheels at the time, no one had the Johnny Lightning. Later on, we're talking years, some kids got the Johnny Lightning. I recall the Johnny Lightning cars were nicer, but since I already had the hot wheels, and I was getting older, my folks did not get me the Johnny Lightning. :(

Damn.... the edit times out.... So again, if ive missed you in the invite, i am sorry :)

@NTL

Easy Baked Oven
I wanted to play alone, but my siblings were very demanding
Hide N Seek
I loved climbing and swimming and running
Very well, I just wish my sister learned to share. Damn she is stingy

Oh and my family was real big in playing baseball. We had a baseball diamond in our back yard

:smoke: :lol:

1. Model horses - I was nuts for them :)

2. By myself

3. My best friend and I would make up our own games and they varied, so I didn't have a "favorite"

4. Play that involved my own imagination, or with one friend at a time

5. It depended on the situation...

I loved those Breyer horse models...had several of them. We used to play Horses and Barbies. The horses were the smart ones who played tricks on the stupid Barbies.

The Wolves of Willoughy Chase and Trolls - omg that brings back memories. One of my favorite childhood books along with Wrinkle in Time and the Narnian Chronicles.

We used to make felt outfits for the trolls. :)

I love "A Wrinkle In Time" - we used to play that too.

And my huge troll wardrobe was made out of felt. I still have a box of the best outfits in my spare closet.

Forum List

Back