The Front Porch Swing

Okay, so if you know anybody who suffers from anxiety, here's a lovely peek inside.

After Seeing These 9 Images, Anxiety and Panic Attacks all Make Sense

That was really good!

Thank you for sharing that! :smiliehug:

My daughter shared it. We both have some level of depression and anxiety, so it resonates with us.

Do you ever read at Hyperbole and a Half She had a bit of a breakdown, didn't post for like a year. Then she came back and posted a column where I thought - "Oh. How sweet. But honey? It's just not that easy."

Here is the column she posted after another extended absence, and by Jove, I think she got it.

Hyperbole and a Half: Depression Part Two

Months oozed by, and I gradually came to accept that maybe enjoyment was not a thing I got to feel anymore. I didn't want anyone to know, though. I was still sort of uncomfortable about how bored and detached I felt around other people, and I was still holding out hope that the whole thing would spontaneously work itself out. As long as I could manage to not alienate anyone, everything might be okay!

However, I could no longer rely on genuine emotion to generate facial expressions, and when you have to spend every social interaction consciously manipulating your face into shapes that are only approximately the right ones, alienating people is inevitable.

It's weird for people who still have feelings to be around depressed people. They try to help you have feelings again so things can go back to normal, and it's frustrating for them when that doesn't happen. From their perspective, it seems like there has got to be some untapped source of happiness within you that you've simply lost track of, and if you could just see how beautiful things are...

She is simply amazing. And on a happier note, this is my favorite post of hers ever.

"CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!!"

Hyperbole and a Half: This is Why I'll Never be an Adult

Whew.....I'm so glad that damn yard sale is over and done with. I did pretty good....I made $75 in two hours.....we could have stayed on, but I was bored, it was getting cold and I wanted to go to Chili's for their half-rack of ribs....so we put everything that didn't sell in the car and hauled it to the Goodwill.

I had 2 old TV's.....(not flat screens) that I wanted to get rid of, I sold one, and the other one I took to Goodwill only to find out they don't take them. However, the attendant at Goodwill told us that Best Buy takes them, so we drove over to the nearest one, and Voila! they took it.....so glad to be rid of them. I still have one....a huge one...probably will have to pay to have hauled off.

Anyway.....good afternoon everyone....

Good-Afternoon-Cat.gif

Whew.....I'm so glad that damn yard sale is over and done with. I did pretty good....I made $75 in two hours.....we could have stayed on, but I was bored, it was getting cold and I wanted to go to Chili's for their half-rack of ribs....so we put everything that didn't sell in the car and hauled it to the Goodwill.

I had 2 old TV's.....(not flat screens) that I wanted to get rid of, I sold one, and the other one I took to Goodwill only to find out they don't take them. However, the attendant at Goodwill told us that Best Buy takes them, so we drove over to the nearest one, and Voila! they took it.....so glad to be rid of them. I still have one....a huge one...probably will have to pay to have hauled off.

Good-Afternoon-Cat.gif

Yard sales.... wow.... memories...

Good-Afternoon-Cat.gif

Enjoy the ribs! I saw a commercial that they have a bunch of new menu items that look REALLY good.

Good-Afternoon-Cat.gif

Good afternoon to you! That's strange that Goodwill would not accept your televisions. I have a good friend who is a VP with them and recycled electronics (especially TV's and CD players are a big part of their business.

I am missing my mom.

02df74a4082dbb3ae9558c69ee99fe78.jpg

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

You are welcome.

I am in the window between the anniversary of her birth and death. It's ... ... yeah. She comes and goes. Shows up in my dreams. I remember things that I didn't comprehend when I was little, and am just amazed at what a strong woman she was.

I am missing my mom.

02df74a4082dbb3ae9558c69ee99fe78.jpg

You are welcome.

I am in the window between the anniversary of her birth and death. It's ... ... yeah. She comes and goes. Shows up in my dreams. I remember things that I didn't comprehend when I was little, and am just amazed at what a strong woman she was.

We never accept the loss of a parent, we just learn to live with it. My Dad passed well into my adult years, and I still struggle on his birthday and the date of his passing. And ironically, we buried him on my birthday in 2006.

You are welcome.

We never accept the loss of a parent, we just learn to live with it. My Dad passed well into my adult years, and I still struggle on his birthday and the date of his passing. And ironically, we buried him on my birthday in 2006.

That's very sad. Was his passing unexpected?

Good-Afternoon-Cat.gif

Enjoy the ribs! I saw a commercial that they have a bunch of new menu items that look REALLY good.

They do....but I had seen a commercial with the ribs the night before and my heart was set on ribs....was thinking about those ribs while doing the yard sale....couldn't hardly wait for it to be over....:)

Good-Afternoon-Cat.gif

Good afternoon to you! That's strange that Goodwill would not accept your televisions. I have a good friend who is a VP with them and recycled electronics (especially TV's and CD players are a big part of their business.

Yeah, I was surprised that they wouldn't take it, because a friend had told me they did...but it was the same guy at Goodwill that then told me that Best Buy takes them....so I don't think he was lying...maybe certain areas have been flooded with them? It's possible that only some take them....I'm just glad that we were able to get rid of it, my hubs did not want to drag it back into the house after dragging it out to the yard sale, and then to the car....can't say I blame him, it is a heavy one.

You are welcome.

Actually he and my Mom had both fully retired in late 2004, sold their home in San Francisco for more than they thought they would get, and bought a great house in their hometown in Kansas on a private lake and moved. He was diagnosed with bone cancer 2 months after and lasted a little over a year.

Last edited:

Actually he and my Mom had both fully retired in late 2004, sold their home in San Francisco for more than they thought they would get, and bought a great house in their hometown in Kansas on a private lake and moved. He was diagnosed with bone cancer 2 months after and lasted a little over a year.

That kind of thing just ticks me off. It's a peeve I have. I figure if a marriage stays the course like that, they should get to do the happily ever after.

That kind of thing just ticks me off. It's a peeve I have. I figure if a marriage stays the course like that, they should get to do the happily ever after.

They were together 55 years, and had known each other since they were in grade school. So it was definately difficult for my Mom. But, at the age of 81, she is very healthy and lives independently.

Forum List

Back