The Front Porch Swing

Good morning!!!!

IMG_4647_0865_zps029705bf.jpg

Good morning from California.......if there is such a thing here......

And another thing, I am a supporter of diversity, however blaring Mariachi Music in a quiet gated community is not cool at 5 a.m. on Sunday morning....lol

Last edited:
Wow.

This post created by David Gerrold, writer of 'The Trouble with Tribbles.'

Talk about truth, squared.

Here's an insight.

How do you want to be known? Your reputation is the one thing you have the most control over.

If you tell the truth, if you arrive on time, if you're dependable, if you know how to clean up a mistake, if you produce results, you get a reputation for integrity.

If you gossip, whine, complain, snipe, conspire, compare, attack, and always have someone else to blame -- you do not get a reputation for credibility or integrity.

Pick a role model. Gandhi, John Wayne, Bugs Bunny, Godzilla. Ask yourself what that role model would do. Do that and that's how you will be known.

The really bad news about reputations is that they're incredibly fragile. One mistake can destroy a reputation as quickly as a pin can destroy a balloon or a spark can bring down the Hindenburg. Worse than that, you don't always have to be the author of your own destruction. There are plenty of people who will be happy to gossip about you behind your back, assume nefarious motives for even the most generous of acts and ascribe them to you.

There are a lot of ways to defend against malicious gossip. My favorite way is to take hold it up to the light and laugh at it in public. But sometimes just ignoring it and outliving it works too. The best defense is to live your life so that the worst gossip they can say about you is that your socks don't match. And if they say that, make it your trademark.

But back to the point at hand...how do you want to be known? Your behavior, everywhere you go -- everything you say, everything you write -- that will be the foundation on which your reputation will be built. So how do you want to be known to friends and family, colleagues and coworkers? How do you want to be known to all the people who know you only by name? Because your reputation will likely enter the room before you even finish parking the car.

What sparked this thought?

Oh, I dunno....

<whistles and walks away quietly>

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I would think that is good advice for all of us. And it was well written.

Consigning.

Wow.

Here's an insight.

How do you want to be known? Your reputation is the one thing you have the most control over.

If you tell the truth, if you arrive on time, if you're dependable, if you know how to clean up a mistake, if you produce results, you get a reputation for integrity.

If you gossip, whine, complain, snipe, conspire, compare, attack, and always have someone else to blame -- you do not get a reputation for credibility or integrity.

Pick a role model. Gandhi, John Wayne, Bugs Bunny, Godzilla. Ask yourself what that role model would do. Do that and that's how you will be known.

The really bad news about reputations is that they're incredibly fragile. One mistake can destroy a reputation as quickly as a pin can destroy a balloon or a spark can bring down the Hindenburg. Worse than that, you don't always have to be the author of your own destruction. There are plenty of people who will be happy to gossip about you behind your back, assume nefarious motives for even the most generous of acts and ascribe them to you.

There are a lot of ways to defend against malicious gossip. My favorite way is to take hold it up to the light and laugh at it in public. But sometimes just ignoring it and outliving it works too. The best defense is to live your life so that the worst gossip they can say about you is that your socks don't match. And if they say that, make it your trademark.

But back to the point at hand...how do you want to be known? Your behavior, everywhere you go -- everything you say, everything you write -- that will be the foundation on which your reputation will be built. So how do you want to be known to friends and family, colleagues and coworkers? How do you want to be known to all the people who know you only by name? Because your reputation will likely enter the room before you even finish parking the car.

Oh, I dunno....

I think I'm gonna have to print this one. It is very, very good. Thanks for sharing it.

On the flip side starting at midnight and going through noon Monday, winter storm warning.

I'd really love for it to be April right about now.

I think I'm gonna take my dogs and daughter for a walk through the snow later today before we get more and/or take her sledding and take the dogs to the dog park to run.

She slept really good last night, worn out from a friend's birthday party-huge indoor playground but the exercise is good for her and the dogs need it too, not to mention me.

Sun's out so that's a start. Have a good Sunday.

Wow.

Here's an insight.

Oh, I dunno....

That should be posted above the door to the Lounge!

Yo, @cereal_killer, can you make a Sticky of that and put it where everyone can see it?
It's simply awesome! Doesn't make sense as a sticky, but it is an incredible commentary. Boops should put it in the OP

100 SWINGING PAGES PARTY

big-party-smiley-emoticon.gif

happy-times-smiley-emoticon.gif
birthday-party-blower.gif
partying-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

That's a great idea....we should throw a party every 100Pages
confetti.jpg

Not to party poop the Boop Stoop, but the number of pages depends on how you have your site options set up. Mine is set for 20 posts per page so this appeared on page 76.

Which means two things:
(1) we could party down any time anybody reaches a hundred pages (mine will be coming up)
or (2) we could all just set our options to one post per page.

:party:

100 SWINGING PAGES PARTY

big-party-smiley-emoticon.gif

happy-times-smiley-emoticon.gif
birthday-party-blower.gif
partying-smiley-emoticon-1.gif

That's a great idea....we should throw a party every 100Pages
confetti.jpg

Not to party poop the Boop Stoop, but the number of pages depends on how you have your site options set up. Mine is set for 20 posts per page so this appeared on page 76.

Which means two things:
(1) we could party down any time anybody reaches a hundred pages (mine will be coming up)
or (2) we could all just set our options to one post per page.

:party:

Yes, and for me, it's just page 52.

I like to speedread. Fast through the book, slow in the bed.

Wow.

Here's an insight.

Oh, I dunno....

I think I'm gonna have to print this one. It is very, very good. Thanks for sharing it.

On the flip side starting at midnight and going through noon Monday, winter storm warning.

I'd really love for it to be April right about now.

I think I'm gonna take my dogs and daughter for a walk through the snow later today before we get more and/or take her sledding and take the dogs to the dog park to run.

She slept really good last night, worn out from a friend's birthday party-huge indoor playground but the exercise is good for her and the dogs need it too, not to mention me.

Sun's out so that's a start. Have a good Sunday.

I hope you enjoyed your trek! I was out yesterday, doing the little old lady shuffle through the Target parking lot. Good times. :thup:

Forum List

Back