The Front Porch Swing

Ok, so now I officially have a sprained neck according the ER to go with the bad back! I was waiting in the intersection to turn left when the light turned orange and after the last vehicle went through I started to cross only to have some idiot try to run the light. He rammed me so hard my car was up on 2 wheels. I managed somehow not to hit any other vehicles and stopped at the side of the road with my flashers on. I was in a lot of pain so I just stayed in the car and called 911.

While I am waiting the other driver comes over and wants my insurance info because he says that he is in a hurry and wants to leave right away. Then he accuses me of cutting in front of him. He was 5+ car lengths away in a 35 mph zone when I started to turn. More than sufficient time and distance to safely stop for the light. He says he has a "witness".

I am probably going to be ticketed for making an "unsafe turn" but thinking about in the ER I am more inclined to believe that this was road rage. He was stuck in heavy traffic because there was construction further down that road (which I knew about hence I was taking an alternative route) and he was "in a hurry". So I honestly believe that he accelerated and tried to run the light.

I know this sounds like I am trying to justify myself but I was in no hurry myself. I had plenty of time and was finished with my errands and heading home for lunch. Some days you think everything will be just like normal and then it all goes wrong. One thing I will say though, that car is built like a tank. It took a full broadside and there was no damage intrusion into the cabin that I could detect. Then again I haven't seen what it looks like from the outside but I am willing to bet it won't be pretty or cheap to fix. Both passenger doors are probably write offs.

So I am still feeling shaky from the adrenelin [sp?] rush and the drugs haven't kicked in yet. Tomorrow will probably be even worse. On the positive side I am alive and able to make this post.

Peace
DT

When did this happen??? Today?

Well first off he can't leave the scene of an accident, hurry or no hurry.

Here's a first thought: does the light have a camera? Were other witnesses lined up? If the light was already amber/orange, then you should have the right of way and he shouldn't be in the intersection at all, whether there's a car turning or not.

Did he drive away then? Without waiting for the police?

Are you in ER now?

I need a drink from some social forum... Lol
Going on a date with a guy I knew from junior high. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

Ok, so now I officially have a sprained neck according the ER to go with the bad back! I was waiting in the intersection to turn left when the light turned orange and after the last vehicle went through I started to cross only to have some idiot try to run the light. He rammed me so hard my car was up on 2 wheels. I managed somehow not to hit any other vehicles and stopped at the side of the road with my flashers on. I was in a lot of pain so I just stayed in the car and called 911.

While I am waiting the other driver comes over and wants my insurance info because he says that he is in a hurry and wants to leave right away. Then he accuses me of cutting in front of him. He was 5+ car lengths away in a 35 mph zone when I started to turn. More than sufficient time and distance to safely stop for the light. He says he has a "witness".

I am probably going to be ticketed for making an "unsafe turn" but thinking about in the ER I am more inclined to believe that this was road rage. He was stuck in heavy traffic because there was construction further down that road (which I knew about hence I was taking an alternative route) and he was "in a hurry". So I honestly believe that he accelerated and tried to run the light.

I know this sounds like I am trying to justify myself but I was in no hurry myself. I had plenty of time and was finished with my errands and heading home for lunch. Some days you think everything will be just like normal and then it all goes wrong. One thing I will say though, that car is built like a tank. It took a full broadside and there was no damage intrusion into the cabin that I could detect. Then again I haven't seen what it looks like from the outside but I am willing to bet it won't be pretty or cheap to fix. Both passenger doors are probably write offs.

So I am still feeling shaky from the adrenelin [sp?] rush and the drugs haven't kicked in yet. Tomorrow will probably be even worse. On the positive side I am alive and able to make this post.

Peace
DT

Hopefully you have witnesses...stick to your story and get your insurance company to fight for you being in the right.

Many years ago, I was in an accident (not hurt but my car was totalled) when a 92 year old man ran a red light when I was making a green arrow left turn. He insisted I ran the light but he also didn't even know what town he was in when he filed his accident report with his insurance company. Fortunately, my insurance believes me because he hit me in the back right side which meant I was mostly thru the intersection when he hit me. I spun pretty good, but was ok (always wear my seat belt snug).

Peace
DT

Here's a first thought: does the light have a camera? Were other witnesses lined up? If the light was already amber/orange, then you should have the right of way and he shouldn't be in the intersection at all, whether there's a car turning or not.

Are you in ER now?

He only stuck around because I told him I had called 911. Dunno if there was a camera but I hope there was. Given where my vehicle would have been when he hit it he could not have entered the intersection until a fraction of a second before the impact. I was in the ER for a couple of hours until they completed a CAT scan on my neck. Once again a MINI has proven to be well built because the other car was a big Audi 8 series from what little I saw of it. Going to interesting to see that police report.

Peace
DT

Hopefully you have witnesses...stick to your story and get your insurance company to fight for you being in the right.

Many years ago, I was in an accident (not hurt but my car was totalled) when a 92 year old man ran a red light when I was making a green arrow left turn. He insisted I ran the light but he also didn't even know what town he was in when he filed his accident report with his insurance company. Fortunately, my insurance believes me because he hit me in the back right side which meant I was mostly thru the intersection when he hit me. I spun pretty good, but was ok (always wear my seat belt snug).

I was broadside on so I suspect that he hit both doors and the rear quarter panel but that meant that I was almost through the intersection when the impact occurred. Another 1/8 second and there would have been just a near miss. :dunno: what the police report will say but they usually issue tickets immediately if they think you are in the wrong. Perhaps he will go and check to see if there is a camera before he makes a decision.

Wearing a seat belt is always a good idea. I am scrupulous about wearing mine and my daughter makes me wait until hers is fastened before we can drive off. :)

Peace
DT

Are you in ER now?

He only stuck around because I told him I had called 911. Dunno if there was a camera but I hope there was. Given where my vehicle would have been when he hit it he could not have entered the intersection until a fraction of a second before the impact. I was in the ER for a couple of hours until they completed a CAT scan on my neck. Once again a MINI has proven to be well built because the other car was a big Audi 8 series from what little I saw of it. Going to interesting to see that police report.

I have no idea what the regulations and red tape might be on getting access to a red light camera photo if there is one - seems to me it would have triggered on (his) movement after the amber light was lit.

Yeah I could tell the first time I drove my MINI that it is decidedly not a flimsy car. Well I hope all settles calmly and that you feel better tomorrow rather than worse.

Good evening Porch Swingers. I want to thank you all for your prayers and kind wishes. Hossfly and I lost our sister Sandi at 11:22 this morning. She passed peacefully. so I am at peace.

So sorry to hear it. Will keep you and your family in my prayers, may her memory bring smiles to your hearts knowing that she is at peace and no longer in pain...:)

Peace
DT
Saw this over at the CS. Hope you're not too sore tomorrow...please keep us updated.

Last edited:

Jr. High? .... I thought boys were so nasty in Jr. high? Was he different? Just kidding, hope you have fun and it goes great....:)

Peace
DT

I'm curious to see how this turns out, DT.

Peace
DT

I'm curious to see how this turns out, DT.

Me too, MF. I will keep everyone posted.

Jr. High? .... I thought boys were so nasty in Jr. high? Was he different? Just kidding, hope you have fun and it goes great....:)

He was kind of mean to me back then. Lol
Not sure if it will work now either. I like him but can be a little too serious.

Forum List

Back