The Front Porch Swing

I guess this is my first post on the front porch swing. I did not notice it because I usually just post on threads I am subscribed to, after clicking on user cp.

Welcome Dajjal :)

Pull up a rocker and would you like English tea or a pint of bitter instead?

Tea thanks, I have been off drink for eighteen months.

Here you go, a pot of Earl Gray and some scones with cream and jam.

BB-106(pp_w667_h444).jpg

Anybody here ever work graveyard? Back in 86-93, I did. And probably twice a year I'd crash and burn.

Yesterday was no exception. I slept from 7:00 am to 7:30 pm, then watched some Who with my sister. I then slept from 10:30pm to 2:30 am. I watched two episodes of Supernatural, and then slept for at least another three hours - possibly more.

Apparently, I needed it.

Yes, I worked the grave yard shift as a switch board operator once. It didn't last long. I couldn't get used to staying awake all night. I think that has to be the most difficult shift there is. No wonder your exhausted!

Anybody here ever work graveyard? Back in 86-93, I did. And probably twice a year I'd crash and burn.

Yesterday was no exception. I slept from 7:00 am to 7:30 pm, then watched some Who with my sister. I then slept from 10:30pm to 2:30 am. I watched two episodes of Supernatural, and then slept for at least another three hours - possibly more.

Apparently, I needed it.

I did for short periods, in the daze when I did the regular-routine thing (which I hate anyway). I wasn't a big fan of that shift; it seemed to put a dent in the day that left it wounded, where there really wasn't enough time to do anything. But I hated the second shift (3-11) more. That seemed to wipe out the whole day and leave me nothing but lonely late-night. Also maybe because that's my natural peak awareness time and I hated to waste it on work.

Now my sister, she worked rotating shifts for years. I don't know how she made those adjustments. But then she has no life so she wouldn't mind so much.

On the whole I'd rather get some hours of work in in the early morning, not because I like to get up early (I don't) but because I'm not really aware of what I'm doing yet so the time seems less wasted.

For the most part, I wake up whenever I want to and still have time before work. If I need to do dinner with friends or family, that's the time I would be awake anyway.

Which reminds me, a friend and I have GOT to get together soon, it's been far too long and nobody is getting any younger.

Apparently, I needed it.

My first real full time job was as a computer operator and yes, I worked graveyard shifts from midnight to 8 am. I only recalling crashing out once but I suspect that it was because of an allergic reaction. My girlfriend at the time was a nurse and she kept stopping by and feeding me and when I woke up 24 hours later it was the weekend. Never did find out what actually caused that lost day in my life.

Weird, isn't it. How you can go to sleep at 'normal time' and wake up so many hours later. I just refer to it as the turn-around weekend ... which now that I think of it, is rather odd that it always happens on a weekend.

Apparently, I needed it.

Yes, I worked the grave yard shift as a switch board operator once. It didn't last long. I couldn't get used to staying awake all night. I think that has to be the most difficult shift there is. No wonder your exhausted!

Yeah, given my reaction to how things were unfolding last week - I should have been aware that I was about to go under. I never seem to figure these things out until they are past-tense.

Tea thanks, I have been off drink for eighteen months.

Well congratulations!

I deserve no congrats because the only reason I stopped drinking is it started upsetting my stomach. I would still be drinking every night if I could get away with it, but age has taken its toll.

If you say so - but I've seen people keep drinking through that and worse! I will honor your wishes though. :eusa_angel:

Good Morning, everyone. This is a rare cross-posting, but one I thought both the Porch-Swingers and the Coffee Shoppers would enjoy.

I know we have had very sad news from Bloodrock44, so I thought to publish something that is happy news as well, especially for Blood and for Hossfly.

My daughter had her 7th birthday party today and we celebrated at an American-Style bowling alley close to where I live. Three hours long, my daughter and six of her classmates were bowling gutters, splits and spares!!!

This was her birthday cake (which her mother made and it was delicious):

IMG_20140223_120039_zps4acfa685.jpg

Cute, eh???

And my little one got a stuffed bowling pin as a present from the personnel at the bowling alley - they knows us, because we are regulars!! (Yes, Papa likes to bowl...) and now she is exhausted from hours of partying (this is serious stuff, folks) and is couching out and watching Pipi Longstocking and Taka-Tuka-Land and schmoozing with her new stuff animal:

IMG_20140223_162152_zps7ebaf594.jpg

Gotta tell you, minding 7 7-year olds for three hours is not the easiest job in the world, but they were really quite wonderful and I have never seen little kids snarf down birthday cake like these 7 did. Thank goodness I didn't turn my head away for a second...

Enjoy.

Thank you for sharing with us the details and pictures of Marlene and her birthday party....looks to me those kids had a blast. She's adorable with her stuffed " bowling pin" and her cake is really cute. I'm sure she'll have fond memories of this birthday for years to come...you're a good daddy, Stat....:)

Apparently, I needed it.

Never as a regular thing, but every now and then I had to pull graveyard duty....I had a hard time sleeping during the day. Since I didn't do it long enough to get used to it, it was always a bitch. I can't sleep with the slightest bit of light, the room has to be dark as night, so there was no way I could ever get it to be that dark during the day....plus there was too much noise, street noise and other kinds of noise, it was awful.

Forum List

Back