The Great Awokening breaks Trader Joe's

The humorous bullying scolds of the Great Awokening how now turned their sites on Trader Joe's. In their sour worldview, Trader Jose, Trader Giotti and Trader Ming are WACIST. Sadly, Trader Joe's is caving into the mob, and relabeling everything as "Joe's" from now on. But isn't that PATRIARCHICAL?

"While this approach to product naming may have been rooted in a lighthearted attempt at inclusiveness, we recognize that it may now have the opposite effect— one that is contrary to the welcoming, rewarding customer experience we strive to create every day," said Kenya Friend-Daniel, national director of public relations for Trader Joe's. "With this in mind, we made the decision several years ago to use only the Trader Joe's name on our products moving forward. Since then, we have been in the process of updating older labels and replacing any variations with the name Trader Joe's, and we will continue do so until we complete this important work.

"At this time, I don’t have an exact date but we expect to have the work completed very soon. Packaging for a number of the products has already been changed, but there’s a small number of products in which the packaging is still going through the process."

OK, I guess I'm not woke and will probably not wake any time soon. I don't get the nature of the problem with Trader Joe's. I don't think there are any in Tennessee, so it probably will not effect me. All I know of Trader Joe's is, it is a supposed to be a good place to get cheap blended wine.
They have some good stuff and some bad stuff. Most of it is their house brand, especially things like mustard or mayonnaise or canned goods. They carry a few good bottles of beers that they sell as singles. It really appeals to the young professional who either hates to cook or just doesn’t want to bother. A large selection of frozen dinners, all healthy, organic, and not your usual pairings. They have really good coffee but too expensive. Their produce is top-notch.

The humorous bullying scolds of the Great Awokening how now turned their sites on Trader Joe's. In their sour worldview, Trader Jose, Trader Giotti and Trader Ming are WACIST. Sadly, Trader Joe's is caving into the mob, and relabeling everything as "Joe's" from now on. But isn't that PATRIARCHICAL?

"While this approach to product naming may have been rooted in a lighthearted attempt at inclusiveness, we recognize that it may now have the opposite effect— one that is contrary to the welcoming, rewarding customer experience we strive to create every day," said Kenya Friend-Daniel, national director of public relations for Trader Joe's. "With this in mind, we made the decision several years ago to use only the Trader Joe's name on our products moving forward. Since then, we have been in the process of updating older labels and replacing any variations with the name Trader Joe's, and we will continue do so until we complete this important work.

"At this time, I don’t have an exact date but we expect to have the work completed very soon. Packaging for a number of the products has already been changed, but there’s a small number of products in which the packaging is still going through the process."

OK, I guess I'm not woke and will probably not wake any time soon. I don't get the nature of the problem with Trader Joe's. I don't think there are any in Tennessee, so it probably will not effect me. All I know of Trader Joe's is, it is a supposed to be a good place to get cheap blended wine.

TJ's has much more than cheap blended wine. They have nice variety of produce, meat, cheese, baked goods, ingredients, and some prepared food. I love their house brand olive oils, which are now going to be Trader Joe's instead of Trader Giotti's. I hate the humorlessness of woke millennials.
Seriously, I read the article and still do not understand the problem of the Woke (what a damn word) millennials. I usually understand what people are bitching about, even if I blow it off as not applying to me or that I just don't care. This time I don't understand what I'm blowing off. Make me feel old somehow.

Woke is just another collectivist cult using shaming and domestic terrorism to gain power. French Revolution, Russian Revolution, Maoist Cultural Revolution...it's happened before and in the end, they consume themselves.
Woke is a social warrior word. Really it is extortion.............forced acceptance.......shaming and virtue signalling are all part of their tactics..................works on sheep.....not so much to people that flip them off.........

Time for more people to tell them to go to hell........if they get bent .....get violent because the spoiled little wankers don't get their way.......time for a beat down..........We have never needed that more in this country than today.............

Yet there really aren't such courageous folks.....

Why?

There are some: i.e the Goya CEO.

Where is the invisible Republican Party that we elected to confront this lawless lying revolution?

Excellent question.

I am not an optimist.

I believe we are viewing the end stage of a great and noble experiment in self governance.
And your solution to self governance is what, again?

Articulate the question.
Are you saying you are against self governance, with a plurality of different viewpoints balance somewhat and preferring a designated strongman to hand down a single focused (I hate to use the word dictatorial, but am limited by my vocabulary, more than you) form of governance?

"Are you saying you are against self governance "

Of course not.
Thank you. You had me worried for a moment. This "experiment in self governance is nowhere near over. Watch the show. Keep making your voice heard. You should have lived the 60s and 70s. This ain't jack$hit in comparison.
1968 over a 100k died in this country..............we didn't shut down........

We also didn't have social media and hype daily.........3 channels 4 if you are lucky and in black and white.............so the HYSTERIA of TODAY wasn't there ...................Tech can be great and a about and the NIGHTMARE.......

We were lucky with a TV/Radio repair guy farmer for a father, we had at our home in Paducah, picking up Paducah, Cape Girardeau, Harrisburg, Jackson, Memphis and Nashville and yes, with color plus a lot of static with a tower, booster, 128 element Channel Master color crossfire antennae. I do not remember an epidemic in 1968, mostly just the war, war protests, convention protests, and race riots in major cities. Killing politicians, and civil rights leaders was still popular and of course the dying in Vietnam and the spitting on veteran returning home if they got to return home standing, along with long hair, short skirts and wild rock concerts good drugs, hitting the scene.
Do not pay attention to "HYSTERIA of TODAY". and do not stay attuned to the social media brought to you by the computer connected world. You can go back, if you choose to nightly news and newspapers any time you like and will probably sleep more soundly for it. You sound like your biggest problem is information overload. Everybody is trying to sell you on their ideas and describe reality in their terms or more accurately, the terms used by like minded individuals who have bought, mostly into hype. Don't buy it. Don't allow it to be sold to you. Guide your own ship and be the captain of your own fate. Live your own life. Especially do not get caught up chasing somebody else's idea of the American Dream and do not marry a woman chasing somebody else's idea of the American Dream, either.
We have seen worse. We will see better. Unfortunately we may someday see actually worse, but this ain't it, by a long shot.

TJ's has much more than cheap blended wine. They have nice variety of produce, meat, cheese, baked goods, ingredients, and some prepared food. I love their house brand olive oils, which are now going to be Trader Joe's instead of Trader Giotti's. I hate the humorlessness of woke millennials.
Seriously, I read the article and still do not understand the problem of the Woke (what a damn word) millennials. I usually understand what people are bitching about, even if I blow it off as not applying to me or that I just don't care. This time I don't understand what I'm blowing off. Make me feel old somehow.

Woke is just another collectivist cult using shaming and domestic terrorism to gain power. French Revolution, Russian Revolution, Maoist Cultural Revolution...it's happened before and in the end, they consume themselves.
Woke is a social warrior word. Really it is extortion.............forced acceptance.......shaming and virtue signalling are all part of their tactics..................works on sheep.....not so much to people that flip them off.........

Time for more people to tell them to go to hell........if they get bent .....get violent because the spoiled little wankers don't get their way.......time for a beat down..........We have never needed that more in this country than today.............

Yet there really aren't such courageous folks.....

Why?

There are some: i.e the Goya CEO.

Where is the invisible Republican Party that we elected to confront this lawless lying revolution?

Excellent question.

I am not an optimist.

I believe we are viewing the end stage of a great and noble experiment in self governance.
And your solution to self governance is what, again?

Articulate the question.
Are you saying you are against self governance, with a plurality of different viewpoints balance somewhat and preferring a designated strongman to hand down a single focused (I hate to use the word dictatorial, but am limited by my vocabulary, more than you) form of governance?

"Are you saying you are against self governance "

Of course not.
Thank you. You had me worried for a moment. This "experiment in self governance is nowhere near over. Watch the show. Keep making your voice heard. You should have lived the 60s and 70s. This ain't jack$hit in comparison.
1968 over a 100k died in this country..............we didn't shut down........

We also didn't have social media and hype daily.........3 channels 4 if you are lucky and in black and white.............so the HYSTERIA of TODAY wasn't there ...................Tech can be great and a about and the NIGHTMARE.......

We were lucky with a TV/Radio repair guy farmer for a father, we had at our home in Paducah, picking up Paducah, Cape Girardeau, Harrisburg, Jackson, Memphis and Nashville and yes, with color plus a lot of static with a tower, booster, 128 element Channel Master color crossfire antennae. I do not remember an epidemic in 1968, mostly just the war, war protests, convention protests, and race riots in major cities. Killing politicians, and civil rights leaders was still popular and of course the dying in Vietnam and the spitting on veteran returning home if they got to return home standing, along with long hair, short skirts and wild rock concerts good drugs, hitting the scene.
Do not pay attention to "HYSTERIA of TODAY". and do not stay attuned to the social media brought to you by the computer connected world. You can go back, if you choose to nightly news and newspapers any time you like and will probably sleep more soundly for it. You sound like your biggest problem is information overload. Everybody is trying to sell you on their ideas and describe reality in their terms or more accurately, the terms used by like minded individuals who have bought, mostly into hype. Don't buy it. Don't allow it to be sold to you. Guide your own ship and be the captain of your own fate. Live your own life. Especially do not get caught up chasing somebody else's idea of the American Dream and do not marry a woman chasing somebody else's idea of the American Dream, either.
We have seen worse. We will see better. Unfortunately we may someday see actually worse, but this ain't it, by a long shot.

How so............we didn't shut down the country back then and destroy it.........At the same time though Globalist didn't have control of the currency yet either........was still valued off gold............Tricky Dick did that..........

TV repair then was take the tubes out and take to a tube tester and find the bad one that didn't light up.

Our country is going down the tubes and you don't see it...........Well maybe it will stay afloat long enough for us to not have to see what is coming.

measles chicken pox and mumps............brother lost some of his eyesight to measles......I got pox..........bumps all over.

They have some good stuff and some bad stuff. Most of it is their house brand, especially things like mustard or mayonnaise or canned goods. They carry a few good bottles of beers that they sell as singles. It really appeals to the young professional who either hates to cook or just doesn’t want to bother. A large selection of frozen dinners, all healthy, organic, and not your usual pairings. They have really good coffee but too expensive. Their produce is top-notch.
If I ever get to a town that has one, I will check it out. I love a good business model, that keeps working.

If I ever get to a town that has one, I will check it out. I love a good business model, that keeps working.
They have very devoted fans. I don’t go to mine often because I get almost everything from Costco.

They have very devoted fans. I don’t go to mine often because I get almost everything from Costco.
We are kinda backwoods out here in the hinterland. No Trader Joe, No Whole Foods or even a Costco.

Yay! Trader Joe's struck back against the Wokerati and is keeping its fun names for products! Announcement on their website:

In light of recent feedback and attention we’ve received about our product naming, we have some things we’d like to say to clarify our approach.

A few weeks ago, an online petition was launched calling on us to “remove racist packaging from [our] products.” Following were inaccurate reports that the petition prompted us to take action. We want to be clear: we disagree that any of these labels are racist. We do not make decisions based on petitions.

We make decisions based on what customers purchase, as well as the feedback we receive from our customers and Crew Members. If we feel there is need for change, we do not hesitate to take action.

Decades ago, our Buying Team started using product names, like Trader Giotto’s, Trader José’s, Trader Ming’s, etc. We thought then—and still do—that this naming of products could be fun and show appreciation for other cultures. For example, we named our Mexican beer “Trader José Premium” and a couple guacamole products are called “Avocado’s Number” in a kitschy reference to a mathematical theory. These products have been really popular with our customers, including some budding mathematicians.

We constantly reevaluate what we are doing to ensure it makes sense for our business and aligns with customers’ expectations. A couple years ago we asked our Buying Team to review all our products to see if we needed to update any older packages, and also see if the associated brands developed years ago needed to be refreshed. We found that some of the older names or products just weren’t connecting or selling very well; so, they were discontinued. It’s kind of what we do.

Recently we have heard from many customers reaffirming that these name variations are largely viewed in exactly the way they were intended—as an attempt to have fun with our product marketing. We continue our ongoing evaluation, and those products that resonate with our customers and sell well will remain on our shelves.

Trader Joe’s has been a unique, fun and neighborly place to shop for over 50 years. We look forward to taking care of our wonderful customers for many future decades.

- Trader Joe’s

Forum List

Back