🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Great War - WWI Christmas Truce of 1914

• Banned
Published on Nov 9, 2013
"Over There" is a 1917 song popular with United States soldiers in both world wars. It was written by George M. Cohan during World War I. Notable early recordings include versions by Nora Bayes, Enrico Caruso, Billy Murray, Arthur Fields and Charles King. According to Michael Duffy of FirstWorldWar.com, "Cohan later recalled that the words and music to the song came to him while travelling by train from New Rochelle to New York shortly after the U.S. had declared war against Germany in April 1917."

This song, as well as "It's a Long Way to Tipperary", was a popular patriotic song during the First World War. On June 29, 1936, President Franklin D. Roosevelt awarded Cohan the Congressional Gold Medal for this and other songs.

It has been revived on various occasions also after World War II. As the specific country "over there" is not named, the words can serve as an exhortation for any sending of American troops to any foreign military intervention.

The slogan "The Yanks are Coming" is derived from this song, as is its negation "The Yanks are not Coming".

Verse 1
Johnny, get your gun, get your gun, get your gun.Take it on the run, on the run, on the run.Hear them calling you and me,Every Son of Liberty.Hurry right away, no delay, go today.Make your Daddy glad to have had such a lad.Tell your sweetheart not to pine,To be proud her boy's in line.
Verse 2
Johnny, get your gun, get your gun, get your gun.Johnny, show the "Hun" you're a son-of-a-gun.Hoist the flag and let her flyYankee Doodle do or die.Pack your little kit, show your grit, do your bit.Yankee to the ranks from the towns and the tanks.Make your Mother proud of youAnd the old red-white-and-blue
Chorus
Over there, over there,Send the word, send the word over there That the Yanks are coming, the Yanks are comingThe drums rum-tumming everywhere.So prepare, say a prayer,Send the word, send the word to beware -We'll be over, we're coming over,And we won't come back till it's over, over there.

American Entry into World War I 1917 - 1914 1920 - Milestones - Office of the Historian

Forum List

Back