The Juke Box II

Andrew Wood (singer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Andrew Patrick Wood
[1] (January 8, 1966 – March 19, 1990) was an American musician best known as the lead singer for alternative rock bands Malfunkshun[2] andMother Love Bone.[3] Wood was also known for his flamboyant aesthetical persona.

Wood formed Malfunkshun, in 1980,[1] with his brother Kevin and Regan Hagar.[2] The band used alter ego personas onstage, with Wood using the name Landrew the Love Child.[1] Though the band only had two songs released, "With Yo' Heart (Not Yo' Hands)" and "Stars-n-You", on the Deep Six compilation album,[2][4][5] they are often cited as being among the "founding fathers" of the Seattle's grunge movement.[2] It was during his time in Malfunkshun that Wood started relying heavily on drugs, entering rehab in 1985.[2]

By 1988, Malfunkshun had disbanded[2] and Wood began jamming with former Green River[5] members Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament,[3] performing briefly as the cover band Lords of the Wasteland.[2] They soon began writing original material and formed Mother Love Bone the same year, adding guitarist Bruce Fairweather[3] and former10 Minute Warning[6] and Skin Yard[7] drummer Greg Gilmore to the lineup.[3] The following year, the band signed a deal with PolyGram,[3] issuing a six-song EP, Shine,[3]before going on to tour, supporting The Dogs D'Amour.[1] Towards the end of the year,[1] the band recorded their debut album, Apple, which was scheduled for release in 1990.[3]

Due to his struggle with drug addiction,[1] Wood checked himself into rehab in 1989,[1][3] hoping to get clean for the release of Mother Love Bone's debut album.[3] On March 16, 1990,[1] Wood was found in a comatose state by his girlfriend, Xana La Fuente, having overdosed on heroin.[1][8] Wood was taken to the hospital and placed onlife support, however, he died three days later.[1]

Okay, if Pearl Jam is involved, it must be grungy. :D
Wasn't Vedder the first or one of the first to call him the Godfather of Grunge? I know he gave Young's R&R HoF induction speech.

I don't know if I've heard about that before. :dunno: Could be, but I think a lot of the classic rock bands were very influential in the creation of grunge rock, so it wouldn't be surprising.

But would I consider Neil Young to be grunge? Probably not. He's great though, don't get me wrong.

Forum List

Back