The Lawfare Editor in Chief posits great arguments on Kavanaugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBvM

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2018
... ... ...
I have known Brett Kavanaugh for a long time—in many different contexts. I am fond of him personally. I think the world of him intellectually. I don’t believe he lied in his Senate testimony. I don’t believe he’s itching to get on the Supreme Court to protect Donald Trump from Robert Mueller. I’m much less afraid of conservative judges than are many of my liberal friends. As recently as a few days ago, I was cheerfully vouching for Kavanaugh’s character.

That said, the allegation against him is, at least so far as one can tell from the press reports, credible, and it deserves to be taken seriously.

Brett Kavanaugh Bears the Burden of Proof - The Atlantic

And how does Trump help his nominee? He doesn't

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Avenatti is a third rate lawyer who is good at making false accusations, like he did on me and like he is now doing on Judge Brett Kavanaugh. He is just looking for attention and doesn’t want people to look at his past record and relationships - a total low-life!

Michael Avenatti @MichaelAvenatti

“False accusations?” Like those crimes your fixer Cohen pled to? You are an habitual liar and complete narcissist who also is a disgrace as a president and an embarrassment to our nation. You are so inept that your “best and brightest” are Cohen and Giuliani. Let’s go.

I have known Brett Kavanaugh for a long time—in many different contexts. I am fond of him personally. I think the world of him intellectually. I don’t believe he lied in his Senate testimony. I don’t believe he’s itching to get on the Supreme Court to protect Donald Trump from Robert Mueller. I’m much less afraid of conservative judges than are many of my liberal friends. As recently as a few days ago, I was cheerfully vouching for Kavanaugh’s character.

That said, the allegation against him is, at least so far as one can tell from the press reports, credible, and it deserves to be taken seriously.

The accused never has the burden of proof. But you know this.

You do know that does not apply outside a court of law? Did poor little Billy_Kinetta actually read what he is commenting upon?

I sort of doubt it.

You do know that does not apply outside a court of law?

Poor little Billy K

quotes: Kavanaugh is an excellent lawyer. He knew, I’m sure, when he issued his categorical denial that he was leaving himself no wiggle room. Perhaps he intended the move as a show of strength, a hint that he will rebut Ford’s allegations persuasively when given the chance to speak. Whatever the motivation, the move locks him in. The only plausible defense now for him is self-exculpation on the facts.

And in this endeavor, Kavanaugh himself bears the burden of proof. This sounds like unjust ground to stake out in a society in which the accused is innocent until proven guilty. But in practical terms, Kavanaugh is the one who has to persuade the marginal senator to vote for him. He is the one who has to give Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski enough confidence in him that they can vote to confirm believing they can defend their actions to a legion of angry voters. It is he, not Ford, who needs to count to 50.

You do know that does not apply outside a court of law? Did poor little Billy_Kinetta actually read what he is commenting upon?

I sort of doubt it.

You do know that does not apply outside a court of law?

In any case the burden is on the accuser, since a negative cannot be proven.

Poor little Billy K

quotes: Kavanaugh is an excellent lawyer. He knew, I’m sure, when he issued his categorical denial that he was leaving himself no wiggle room. Perhaps he intended the move as a show of strength, a hint that he will rebut Ford’s allegations persuasively when given the chance to speak. Whatever the motivation, the move locks him in. The only plausible defense now for him is self-exculpation on the facts.

And in this endeavor, Kavanaugh himself bears the burden of proof. This sounds like unjust ground to stake out in a society in which the accused is innocent until proven guilty. But in practical terms, Kavanaugh is the one who has to persuade the marginal senator to vote for him. He is the one who has to give Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski enough confidence in him that they can vote to confirm believing they can defend their actions to a legion of angry voters. It is he, not Ford, who needs to count to 50.

Whose quotes?

In any case the burden is on the accuser, since a negative cannot be proven.

Billy said:
Whose quotes?
the article you are commenting upon? LOL

Poor little Billy K

Billy said:
Whose quotes?
the article you are commenting upon? LOL

I love what we are becoming. From Innocent until proven guilty, to guilty and never able to prove your innocence, our standards have not so much done a 180 as been destroyed totally. We use political standards for criminal issues.

I told a neighbor that I would not fly the American Flag because we had become the old Soviet Union. Every day I see more and more examples of how right I am in that assessment.

I love what we are becoming. From Innocent until proven guilty, to guilty and never able to prove your innocence, our standards have not so much done a 180 as been destroyed totally. We use political standards for criminal issues.

I told a neighbor that I would not fly the American Flag because we had become the old Soviet Union. Every day I see more and more examples of how right I am in that assessment.

No. Not that Republicans impress me, but it's the Democrats alone who have become the old Soviet Union. There's still time to flatten them.

It takes just one to tip that first domino.

Based on your source, The Atlantic, I gave you the respect of reading, the article.

THe piece is complete shit that boils down to, "so much accusations, it looks like something"

My view of the Atlantic just went down several notches. This is pathetic.

`
I read the article and the author sums it up nicely;
`
`

0m9iW2x.jpg

`
`

`
I read the article and the author sums it up nicely;
`
`

0m9iW2x.jpg

`
`

He doesn't have to defend anything. The burden of proof is on the accuser. Without proof, the accusers can be shown the door.

This is all merely another Leftist circus. Kavanaugh should openly condemn every Democrat in that room today specifically and their party generally. Give them a little of their own theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back