The Lazy Poor

Yeah. He's so full of shit.

I just don't know where he and other lamebrains get the idea that everyone should feel obligated to help the poor.

No one asked me if I wanted my hardearned money going to the poor. Talk about noble idiots. Of course if they are asked to just spend their money on the poor I think you would see a big change of heart. The poor will take every dime they can get.

If you can't make responsible decisions in your life and get off your ass to take care of yourself then thats your damned problem. Not mine. And certainly not the taxpayers of America.

Which proves my point. You, as a conservative, want less of your money going to the poor, thus, you want to make them poorer.

I'm a fiscal conservative and I see no reason why my hard earned money should go to take care of poor people. I don't feel obligated to assume their responsibilities.

As for wanting them poorer? What an assinine statement.

If the poor don't want to be poor then they need to get off their asses and make the're lives better. That ball is in the're court.

You, of course, want the bandaid of welfare to keep them poor. As long as wefare is in place these folks have no incentive to better themselves. Your an ass.

If thats how you want YOUR money spent then feel free my friend. I just wish the rest of us had some say in the matter.

Oh and you better be ready. The poor will take every dime you want to give them and won't care where it comes from and won't even give you a thank you for your noble idiocy.

Really, you need to go work in a soup kitchen, or at your local food bank. Yeah, there are a few of the people taking advantage of those services who don't appreciate it but for the most part, people are really really grateful. Most of them are also trying to better their lives. It's just not possible when there are no jobs.

My friend, my son and I give out lunches to people who need them every Monday come rain or shine at the local church. I've met darn few who aren't grateful. Most of them are great people, just in bad circumstances. Heck, we even get families towards the end of the month who ran out of food because they don't make enough to pay for the roof over their heads AND food.

Are there people taking advantage of the system? Yes. Are they the majority? NO!

BTW, you want to end welfare, let's start with corporate welfare, that's a heck of a lot more of the budget than TANF, and we KNOW the corporations are taking advantage, they have lawyers to help them take advantage.

I just don't know where he and other lamebrains get the idea that everyone should feel obligated to help the poor.

No one asked me if I wanted my hardearned money going to the poor. Talk about noble idiots. Of course if they are asked to just spend their money on the poor I think you would see a big change of heart. The poor will take every dime they can get.

If you can't make responsible decisions in your life and get off your ass to take care of yourself then thats your damned problem. Not mine. And certainly not the taxpayers of America.

Which proves my point. You, as a conservative, want less of your money going to the poor, thus, you want to make them poorer.

Come on NY, you aren't THAT stoopid. My money is MY money. If I keep MY money, how am I making the poor poorer? It isn't THEIR money to begin with and I'm not taking anything away from them that they already had. I'm as charitable as the next person.....in fact more charitable tyhan many folks I know on both ends of the political spectrum......but I should be free to determine who I am charitable to. No one is entitled to my money and no one should demand that they deserve a poretion of what I earn.

I've asked this question over and over here at USMB and not a single liberal has ever answered it. If you have a spare bedroom at your house, are you OK with the government telling you that they will be placing a homeless person in that spare room? They need it and you don't. You have the whole rest of the house to yourself which is more than you need. All the government asks is that you give your "fair share". Tell me, what is the difference between the money you earn and the real estate you own? Why is the poor entitled to one and not the other?

Over the past 10 years we've taken in 3 homeless men. How many have you taken in?

I'm a fiscal conservative and I see no reason why my hard earned money should go to take care of poor people. I don't feel obligated to assume their responsibilities.

If the poor don't want to be poor then they need to get off their asses and make the're lives better. That ball is in the're court.

You, of course, want the bandaid of welfare to keep them poor. As long as wefare is in place these folks have no incentive to better themselves. Your an ass.

If thats how you want YOUR money spent then feel free my friend. I just wish the rest of us had some say in the matter.

Oh and you better be ready. The poor will take every dime you want to give them and won't care where it comes from and won't even give you a thank you for your noble idiocy.

Really, you need to go work in a soup kitchen, or at your local food bank. Yeah, there are a few of the people taking advantage of those services who don't appreciate it but for the most part, people are really really grateful. Most of them are also trying to better their lives. It's just not possible when there are no jobs.

My friend, my son and I give out lunches to people who need them every Monday come rain or shine at the local church. I've met darn few who aren't grateful. Most of them are great people, just in bad circumstances. Heck, we even get families towards the end of the month who ran out of food because they don't make enough to pay for the roof over their heads AND food.

Are there people taking advantage of the system? Yes. Are they the majority? NO!

BTW, you want to end welfare, let's start with corporate welfare, that's a heck of a lot more of the budget than TANF, and we KNOW the corporations are taking advantage, they have lawyers to help them take advantage.

Are the lunches you give out at your church (thanks for that, by the way) supported by tax dollars?

I suspect the two of you are arguing about two different things.

Come on NY, you aren't THAT stoopid. My money is MY money. If I keep MY money, how am I making the poor poorer? It isn't THEIR money to begin with and I'm not taking anything away from them that they already had. I'm as charitable as the next person.....in fact more charitable tyhan many folks I know on both ends of the political spectrum......but I should be free to determine who I am charitable to. No one is entitled to my money and no one should demand that they deserve a poretion of what I earn.

I've asked this question over and over here at USMB and not a single liberal has ever answered it. If you have a spare bedroom at your house, are you OK with the government telling you that they will be placing a homeless person in that spare room? They need it and you don't. You have the whole rest of the house to yourself which is more than you need. All the government asks is that you give your "fair share". Tell me, what is the difference between the money you earn and the real estate you own? Why is the poor entitled to one and not the other?

Don't expect an answer.

NY just likes to point out how everyone is selfish WITH THEIR OWN MONEY and how all these poor people HAVE A RIGHT TO YOUR MONEY. Oh and if you don't want to give said money your a selfish asshole who only want the poor to stay poor. He's an ass..

He thinks we should all be tickled pink to assume the resonsibilities of others.

I also give to charity but I pick and choose those charities and no one tells me which charity to give to. It MY money and I give where I choose to give.

That's the thing. Americans are the most generous of all people on Earth. You find them--sometimes the most narrow minded, legalistic, eeeeeeevil religious conservatives--organizing, maintaining, and staffing and voluneering in leper colonies, orphanages in some of the world's most dangerous places, homes for unwed mothers, domestic violence centers, soup kitchens, thrift shops, homeless shelters, halfway houses, prison ministries, free legal services and tutoring programs, and risking their very lives to get food into disaster areas where government officials are not allowed to go. In study after study, it is almost always religious conservatives who give the most to all forms of charitable organizations. And they do it out of sight of reporters and cameras and other photo op opportunities.

But private charities are much better at weeding out those who milk the system rather than become productive citizens. I have seen few government agencies who seriously even encourage the unmotivated to become productive; I have witnessed first hand private efforts not only encouraging it but doing so successfuly.

But if the government didn't give out another dime to the poor, nobody would have to go hungry in this country. There are always people willing to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, visit those in prison.

The difference between government and private charity however, is that government has strong motivation to keep people needy and therefore dependent on government. Private charity has no such motivation and is proud when people move from being beneficiaries of charity into the group who provides it.

"If you have a spare bedroom at your house, are you OK with the government telling you that they will be placing a homeless person in that spare room?"

Heck...the Liberal-in-Chief closed down the White House, and the kiddies just wanted to visit.....

Are the lunches you give out at your church (thanks for that, by the way) supported by tax dollars?

No, but not the point. Most of the people who come for those lunches are on some kind of welfare. Welfare doesn't provide everything. One of our regulars was thrilled when they finally found him an apartment. He was almost dead by then. He'd been hit by a bus, the hospital had kicked him out and he had no where to go to heal. IMO, the bus company should have provided for him but they didn't. Another of our regulars is dead now, died a young man because he couldn't get enough help. He got sick and died in his tent, in his sleep. It's not that he wasn't willing to work, most places won't hire you if you don't have an address and how do you get an address when you are homeless?

Like I said, go work at your local food bank or soup kitchen. Meet these people you are disparaging.

You may be right in some respects but all the Welfare folks I've had contact with could care fucking less where the money comes from as long as that EBT card has money in it. And believe me. I ain't holding my breath for any thankyou for the theft of my hard earned money.

Soup kitch isn't the same as welfare and yes I have worked in a soup kitchen and yes those folks are grateful and have no problem saying thanks. Loads of homeless but not that many on Welfare in that soup kitchen. After all they have out tax dollars in that EBT card and can buy their food using taxpayer dollars.

As for corporate welfare?? I see no reason to support a company. If they can't make it on their own then they don't work to survive. Get rid of corporate welfare.

And yes. They are all taking advantage.

Last edited:

Over the past 10 years we've taken in 3 homeless men. How many have you taken in?

Homeless, no. Friends in need, yes.......and lent them money when they were in financial straights. Among other things, I've been one of those eeeeevil Boy Scout leaders for the past 10 years.....even after my son aged out and moved off to college. More valuable than my money.....which I've easily spent in the 10's of thousands over the last 10 years on the program.......is my time, talent, mentoring and energy. I couldn't even begin to count the number of hours I've given to the program. And while you might think that who I work with are well off white kids, that is only partly true. I also work with one of our districts that is in the part of town people don't want to wander into at night. I've mentored many a kid of color that many other folks wouldn't even think of helping. I've given them rides, I've paid for their meals, I've bought them uniform pieces, etc. Then there is the work I've done thru my church.

The difference is, I do it because I want to. I make a choice. I teach others to give selflessly. I do not force people against their wishes to give me what belongs to them in the name of "doing good" at the hands of the government. That is the difference between conservatives and liberals. Liberals want someone else with more than them to give their "fair share" to help the people they see in need and then feel good about themselves be cause it was done under the auspices of "we the people". Conservatives believe in picking a cause and giving of themselves personally without a nanny state telling them what to do.

So no, I have not taken a homeless person in and I'm ok with that because of what I do choose to do.

No, but not the point. Most of the people who come for those lunches are on some kind of welfare. Welfare doesn't provide everything. One of our regulars was thrilled when they finally found him an apartment. He was almost dead by then. He'd been hit by a bus, the hospital had kicked him out and he had no where to go to heal. IMO, the bus company should have provided for him but they didn't. Another of our regulars is dead now, died a young man because he couldn't get enough help. He got sick and died in his tent, in his sleep. It's not that he wasn't willing to work, most places won't hire you if you don't have an address and how do you get an address when you are homeless?

Like I said, go work at your local food bank or soup kitchen. Meet these people you are disparaging.

It is against the law for a hospital to deny needed care based on ability to pay.

It is against the law for a hospital to deny needed care based on ability to pay.

Hospitals don't keep anyone until they are completely healed anymore. They even dump them on the streets if they have to, and yes, they've been caught, but they keep doing it.

I've volunteered with local seniors for 15 years and sit on the boards of two non-profits. I've sat with 'em, cried with 'em, changed their sheets. I know how it works, and I am "disparaging" no one.

No one but the most whacked-out absolutist whackos think that the homeless and mentally ill should be ignored. The larger question is finding an equilibrium between providing needed help and creating life-damaging dependency.

It's mathematics. If a poor person gets $100 a month in food stamps, that person is $100 less poor.

If you want to end food stamps so you don't have to pay for them, that's fine. But don't pretend that it doesn't make the poor person poorer.

Conservatives want the poor poorer because they want their money back that goes to making the poor less poor. You can't take their taxpayer funded benefits away from them without making them poorer, and you can't give people their tax money back without taking it away from the poor.

So whether you like the description or not, you want the poor to be poorer.

I am not wrong.

I do work hands on with the chronically 'poor' and yes, some really are poor through no fault of their own, and others, probably most, due to poor choices and/or lack of motivation. There will always be a few people who fall between the cracks of the best intended efforts of both government and private charitable efforts. Pouring more and more taxpayer money into the process won't change that and will in fact create more 'poor'.

Every dollar taken out of the economy in taxes is a dollar that isn't available to create capital, opportunities, jobs, and better wages and benefits through which people become self sustaining and successful. And more importantly every dollar taken in taxes goes mostly to feed the enormous, bloated, and every growing government so that only a small fraction of it actually gets to the poor if even that. A good private charity has some overhead and usually has to pay some people, but it does a far better job in getting the money it takes in to those who need it. And if we help folks directly out of pocket, 100% gets to those who need it.

And again the private charity has no incentive to keep people poor and benefits in no way from there being more poor. The government does.

If private charity worked there would be no poverty problems. Private charity is nothing more than a voluntary tax on the generous,

while the greedy get off for free.

The greedy need to be forced to help those in need.

If private charity worked there would be no poverty problems. Private charity is nothing more than a voluntary tax on the generous,

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Seriously, that is about the most ding dong thing I've seen posted here in a long time. It's so ridiculous it doesn't even merit an answer, because I suspect you know better.

Take your war against those who have more than you somewhere else. You have no right to force anyone to do anything. We aren't your slaves..you don't have slaves. If you want a slave, you should get ahold of some local muslims and ask them when the next auction is. They will know, and they will probably give you a ticket, if they think you have money.

Then you can buy a slave, and you can *force* your slave to do your bidding.

Otherwise, fuck off.

Seriously, that is about the most ding dong thing I've seen posted here in a long time. It's so ridiculous it doesn't even merit an answer, because I suspect you know better.

Take your war against those who have more than you somewhere else. You have no right to force anyone to do anything. We aren't your slaves..you don't have slaves. If you want a slave, you should get ahold of some local muslims and ask them when the next auction is. They will know, and they will probably give you a ticket, if they think you have money.

Otherwise, fuck off.

Agree, except for the last two words of your post.

Then, again, vulgar obscenity is just about the only language free-loaders respond to and understand.

Otherwise, fuck off.

I have to agree. NY's statement was so over the top, even for him, I now suspect him as one of those people who is paid to derail and/or make food fights of threads like this so that the subject can't be discussed rationally and won't gain any legs in the minds of the people. Big government and those organizations that feed on it and promote it don't want any of us upsetting the status quo by promoting ideas that actually help people and make big government less necessary.

Forum List

Back