The Lazy Poor

What did he study and is he willing to relocate? Two decisions that help determine "luck".

electronics, and no. He's special needs. High Functioning Autism. Again, your son is lucky.

If you want to call it luck, we'll go with that. Your son has limitations that affect his ability to find work beyond a bad economy and high unemployment. Mine does not. which increases his chances. Luck had nothing to do with it. It simply is what it is. Life is not fair or equal. I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and it limits what I can and can not do. As much as I wanted to go on a 10 day backpacking trip with my son when he was in Boy Scouts, it was unwise for me to do so. I learned this by attempting smaller prepatory trips. I've always wanted to learn to fly but I can't get a pilot's license. That isn't unfair and people who can do those things aren't lucky. They just lack the limitations that I have. I lack other limitiations that other people have. The worst limitations are the ones we impose on ourselves when we convince ourselves that we "can't". A crippled person can't walk across the country. But he can roll across it. Should he stay home because he is "unlucky" an can't walk?

I prefer to think that people are blessed as opposed to be lucky and we are all blessed with different things. It's when we think that others are lucky and we are therefore unlucky and allow that to control our situation that we become negative and convince ourselves that something is impossible. Can't never did anything.

And why is it that she thinks it's someone else's duty to provide her son with the things she wants for him? If he can't and she won't, then why should anyone else?

What did he study and is he willing to relocate? Two decisions that help determine "luck".

electronics, and no. He's special needs. High Functioning Autism. Again, your son is lucky.

If you want to call it luck, we'll go with that. Your son has limitations that affect his ability to find work beyond a bad economy and high unemployment. Mine does not. which increases his chances. Luck had nothing to do with it. It simply is what it is. Life is not fair or equal. I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and it limits what I can and can not do. As much as I wanted to go on a 10 day backpacking trip with my son when he was in Boy Scouts, it was unwise for me to do so. I learned this by attempting smaller prepatory trips. I've always wanted to learn to fly but I can't get a pilot's license. That isn't unfair and people who can do those things aren't lucky. They just lack the limitations that I have. I lack other limitiations that other people have. The worst limitations are the ones we impose on ourselves when we convince ourselves that we "can't". A crippled person can't walk across the country. But he can roll across it. Should he stay home because he is "unlucky" an can't walk?

I prefer to think that people are blessed as opposed to be lucky and we are all blessed with different things. It's when we think that others are lucky and we are therefore unlucky and allow that to control our situation that we become negative and convince ourselves that something is impossible. Can't never did anything.

I'm sure folks who made a good living making great horse drawn buggies, carriages, wagons, and buggy whips felt unlucky when all those quickly transitioned--within 10-20 years--to gasoline powered automobiles. And the folks who got in on the ground floor of the auto manufacturing industry almost certainly felt very lucky indeed.

You are right that we all have our gifts and abilities and instincts and aptitude that equips us to do different things very well. I should sit down and count up all the different things I've had to train or reeducate myself to do in order to have a job over my working life. Also my hubby and my kids. None of us are doing what we thought we would be doing when we first started out. All of us have worked or in working in areas we never imaged.

But it did require us to move sometimes. It did require some of us to start at entry level, even minimum wage, while we learned a new trade and then proved we were worth more money. I tried some things I really wasn't good at at all. And took a chance on some things that I didn't know if I could do, but it turned out that I had a strong aptitude for doing it.

The fact is some of us have aptitude that allows us to do stuff easily that other folks really struggle with and don't do well at all. And those other folks can always do at least one thing better than most others can. But if we try to dictate the direction our life will go, and refuse to adapt and adjust and figure out how to work with the situation that is, we'll probably experience a lot more frustration, disappointment, and unemployment than we otherwise would have to endure.

"blessed" "lucky" whatever you want to call it, it's the same. Some people have more of an advantage than others. That will never change. And no, the one who is a handicapped shouldn't stay home..but it's sure not going to be as easy for him to cross the country as one who can walk. I think you have made my point. Not everyone has the same advantages. That doesn't mean we should just give up on them.

"blessed" "lucky" whatever you want to call it, it's the same. Some people have more of an advantage than others. That will never change. And no, the one who is a handicapped shouldn't stay home..but it's sure not going to be as easy for him to cross the country as one who can walk. I think you have made my point. Not everyone has the same advantages. That doesn't mean we should just give up on them.

I believe we are pretty close in understanding. Yes, everyone has some advantage over someone else. I'm a pretty intelligent guy, but I suck at anything other than basic math. My twin brother never studued and aced college level math classes. My dad and my son are mathmatical wiz's too. My dad never put a car in the shop to be worked on. He did it all himself out on the driveway until the day he died. My son, same way. Me, I can't remember which screw goes with which hole minutes after I tear into it. Whining or complaining about the "fairness" of it or thinking that fate is plotting against me is fruitless. Life isn't fair. Can't never did anything. You do the best with what you have.

"Let me make sure that I understand you correctly," I inquired of the welfare caseworker as I presented her with my pregnancy confirmation note from a doctor. "All I have to do for you to send me $465 a month, $176 worth of food stamps, and 100% free medical and dental assistance is keep this baby. As long as I don't have a bank account, find a job, or get married, I qualify for aid? Where do I sign up?"

$641 a month for a a single mom to take care of a newborn baby???

Doesn't seem like a lot of money to me for two people, Daycare costs would probably run the same.

Women are cut off medicaid after the child is born, it does not mention anything about housing.

Doesn't sound like the high living life to me.

What year did this take place nowadays the department of workforce services requires people to work in community service programs in some states.

Bill Clinton also reformed the welfare policy in which a person can only get assistance for a certain length of time and previous to that people lived on it for a lifetime.

Most Christians would rather the woman keep her baby over having an abortion. :dunno:

Why would someone who isn't working need daycare?

Women are not cut off of medicaid after they give birth, that is a lie. The only way they lose coverage is if they don't re-apply and let it lapse, or if their income is over the income standard.

Clinton did sign in reforms, and they had a hugely positive effect.

And Obama got rid of them.

Try again.

Women are not cut off of medicaid after they give birth, that is a lie. The only way they lose coverage is if they don't re-apply and let it lapse, or if their income is over the income standard.

Try again.

Pregnant Women | Medicaid.gov

They are covered for 60 days after birth delivery and some states have the option to prolong coverage up to the infants first birthday.

Generally ABAWDS between 18 and 50 who do not have any dependent children can get SNAP benefits only for 3 months in a 36-month period if they do not work or participate in a workfare or employment and training program other than job search. This requirement is waived in some locations.

With some exceptions, able-bodied adults between 16 and 60 must register for work, accept suitable employment, and take part in an employment and training program to which they are referred by the local office. Failure to comply with these requirements can result in disqualification from the Program.

Eligibility

Try again.

Someone has to watch the kids during happy hour. :dunno:

Try again.

Pregnant Women | Medicaid.gov

They are covered for 60 days after birth delivery and some states have the option to prolong coverage up to the infants first birthday.

Generally ABAWDS between 18 and 50 who do not have any dependent children can get SNAP benefits only for 3 months in a 36-month period if they do not work or participate in a workfare or employment and training program other than job search. This requirement is waived in some locations.

With some exceptions, able-bodied adults between 16 and 60 must register for work, accept suitable employment, and take part in an employment and training program to which they are referred by the local office. Failure to comply with these requirements can result in disqualification from the Program.

Eligibility

Lol. I don't need you to tell me about entitlement program eligibility.

Yes they have 60 days after birth..in the PREGNANT WOMEN'S medicaid program...then they RE-APPLY and they get rolled into another program. That's what I said. If they lose coverage, it's because their circumstances have changed and they no longer meet the income standards, or it's because they didn't re-apply.

And yes, the reforms required tanf/medicaid recipients to engage in jobs programs.

But Obama gutted them. They exist in a very insubstantial form at this point, but very, very few women are actually required to participate in jobs programs for medical.

TANF, the jobs requirements still exist in a bare bones form (and clients get state-paid child care to cover child care during their participation, incidentally) but NOT for medical. Medicaid parents are not required to participate in any job search or anything else, unless they receive cash assistance as well...and even then, the requirements are very, very fuzzy.

And they no longer keep track of the time spent on tanf (they never did medicaid). When Obama nixed the reforms, that's one of the reforms that was put away. Technically, the coding is still there...but workers are told not to track it.

Last edited:
And yes, the reforms required tanf/medicaid recipients to engage in jobs programs.

But Obama gutted them. They exist in a very insubstantial form at this point, but very, very few women are actually required to participate in jobs programs for medical.

TANF, the jobs requirements still exist in a bare bones form (and clients get state-paid child care to cover child care during their participation, incidentally) but NOT for medical. Medicaid parents are not required to participate in any job search or anything else, unless they receive cash assistance as well...and even then, the requirements are very, very fuzzy.

And they no longer keep track of the time spent on tanf (they never did medicaid). When Obama nixed the reforms, that's one of the reforms that was put away. Technically, the coding is still there...but workers are told not to track it.

Those are up to date links I provided:cool:

I believe we are pretty close in understanding. Yes, everyone has some advantage over someone else. I'm a pretty intelligent guy, but I suck at anything other than basic math. My twin brother never studued and aced college level math classes. My dad and my son are mathmatical wiz's too. My dad never put a car in the shop to be worked on. He did it all himself out on the driveway until the day he died. My son, same way. Me, I can't remember which screw goes with which hole minutes after I tear into it. Whining or complaining about the "fairness" of it or thinking that fate is plotting against me is fruitless. Life isn't fair. Can't never did anything. You do the best with what you have.

And you accept that some people have limitations that you don't, and you help them.

"Let me make sure that I understand you correctly," I inquired of the welfare caseworker as I presented her with my pregnancy confirmation note from a doctor. "All I have to do for you to send me $465 a month, $176 worth of food stamps, and 100% free medical and dental assistance is keep this baby. As long as I don't have a bank account, find a job, or get married, I qualify for aid? Where do I sign up?"

Doesn't seem like a lot of money to me for two people, Daycare costs would probably run the same.

Women are cut off medicaid after the child is born, it does not mention anything about housing.

What year did this take place nowadays the department of workforce services requires people to work in community service programs in some states.

Bill Clinton also reformed the welfare policy in which a person can only get assistance for a certain length of time and previous to that people lived on it for a lifetime.

Most Christians would rather the woman keep her baby over having an abortion. :dunno:

Actually what Bill Clinton did was basically nothing. Before his welfare reform, most people (80%) were off of welfare in 2 years or less, he made that a requirement but allowed for a 20% "except" clause. So basically, he did nothing.

Seems to me people are all blaming the 80% for what the 20% are doing.

And you accept that some people have limitations that you don't, and you help them.

Sure. But if I'm an employer, I don't give a crippled guy the job of jumping fences to read electric or gas meters. That job goes to the person who is actually capable of doing it.

Try again.

When my friend was unemployed, all she wanted was daycare. They offered her all kinds of programs but she said "no." She was living with her parents at the time, but her parents weren't very good babysitters so all she asked for was daycare so she could look for work and enough money for gas so she could drive to her interviews. They finally gave it to her.

It didn't take her long to find a job. Of course that was many years ago and things are different today. I don't think most of you understand just how different it is.

I don't know about most Christians, but this Christian wants people to educate themselves and prepare themselves to support a family and get married to a responsible person BEFORE they have kids.

I don't know about most Christians, but as much as possible, this Christian wants kids to grow up in a home with role models of a mom and dad who teach positive values including education and who promote personal accountability, responsibility, and push their kids to accomplish their potential.

I don't know about most Christians, but I want kids growing up watching a least one parent get up and get cleaned up and properly dress every morning and going out to work for a paycheck.

I don't know about most Christians, but I don't want kids growing up watching their parent live fairly adequately via government charity and seeing that as an option rather than doing the hard job of educating themselves, learning a trade, and working for a living.

I don't know about most Christians, but I think if parents aren't willing to feed, clothe, educate, and love their kids, those kids should be placed with people who are willing to do that for them. This is what the general rule should be across the board. The inevitable anecdotal exception should not be the catalyst for making policy for the whole.

I understand, so of course sheila's offended by that, and going to ignore me, lol.

Daycare is still available for working parents, and also for parent on TANF who are looking for work.

But we don't just pay daycare for people because they want a break from the kids. They are, after all, your kids. It's not the responsibility of taxpayers to give you a break from them.

Try again.

When my friend was unemployed, all she wanted was daycare. They offered her all kinds of programs but she said "no." She was living with her parents at the time, but her parents weren't very good babysitters so all she asked for was daycare so she could look for work and enough money for gas so she could drive to her interviews. They finally gave it to her.

It didn't take her long to find a job. Of course that was many years ago and things are different today. I don't think most of you understand just how different it is.

I'm just curious. Are you of the opinion that every Tom, Dick and Harry should be able to decide what they would like to do as a job, walk into an employer, ask for it and have it handed to them at whatever wage they want? You keep acting as if employers owe something to people who are unemployed.

Not only should they give her the job she demands, they should also pay her what she demands, no questions asked, and not be allowed to hire people who ask for less $$.

And they should pay for someone to take care of her kids and husband while she's working.

Forum List

Back