The Lazy Poor

As I said, if you want to work, you'll work. Sometimes, it requires moving.

But if you aren't willing to work where employees are needed, then the fault isn't somebody else's. It's yours. I assume you were tethered to your home for some imaginary reason...but I guarantee, it was an imaginary reason. If you can't find a job where you live, then you move. Pretty simple.

You're forgetting, moving is very expensive. I know someone who moved from NYC back to GA, and it cost upwards of $1800 just for the moving truck alone - and these were bare bones movers. I'm not even going to go into how they're going to come up with a deposit + first and last month's rent when they get there. Now imagine you're flat broke and can't find a job. Imagine you've got a family. How does an already poor family move with no money as it is to live where they are? It's not that easy.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China.......but he is an Oklahoma resident. He will be spending the summer doing fire and safety work for BP in Alaska.

:lol: "summer" job. Good for him. Come back when you can show me he found a well paying permanent job. My brother was a fisherman in Alaska. He worked for only a few months of the year but he made good money. Even those jobs are hard to find these days and it's only for the young. They won't hire a 50 year old, especially if she's a woman.

No, things are not what they once were in this country and no matter what you say, jobs just aren't as easy to get as you think and the ones that are available, if you can find one, pays crap. You can't even put a roof over your head on a minimum wage job, even a crappy roof, not if you also want to pay for food and utilities.

You're not listening, Ms Glass Half Empty. Can't never did anything. It isn't a "summer" job. It's an internship. BP came to his school with 2 internships. There were 122 applicants. They granted 16 interviews. He is 1 of the 2 they hired. Most of those other applicants found other internships. Heck, my son who was selected as 1 out of 122 wasn't granted an interview by several others he applied for. Again, choices. The field he is studying for only has two accredited programs in the whole US and it is a field that every major corporation in the world needs. About 98% of the students in his field have a job secured during their senior year, some starting at 6 figures. If he'd decided to be an english or history major, he probably would be one of the kids who can't find a job either.

My nephew who graduated as Valedictorian of his high-school and went to MIT on a scholarship and graduated and was working for Intel decided to go back to school to get his law degree. He saw the writing on the wall. Intel had internships for their employees who went to law school but in-spite of his credentials, he didn't get one of those internships. He was glad later as every one of those people were laid off without finishing their internships. They had to go elsewhere and start over. My nephew is now a scum sucking corporate lawyer, but he has a job. Do you really think we need more scum sucking corporate lawyers?

And what the heck are those 120 other students suppose to do? Your son got lucky, not everyone is lucky.

But if you aren't willing to work where employees are needed, then the fault isn't somebody else's. It's yours. I assume you were tethered to your home for some imaginary reason...but I guarantee, it was an imaginary reason. If you can't find a job where you live, then you move. Pretty simple.

You're forgetting, moving is very expensive. I know someone who moved from NYC back to GA, and it cost upwards of $1800 just for the moving truck alone - and these were bare bones movers. I'm not even going to go into how they're going to come up with a deposit + first and last month's rent when they get there. Now imagine you're flat broke and can't find a job. Imagine you've got a family. How does an already poor family move with no money as it is to live where they are? It's not that easy.

I was basically going to post something just like this, I left California after I separated from the Military back to Virginia, I didn't have a job at the time and was taking a huge risk I spent alot of money moving but I was reimbursed by the Military, they allow you one last move after you separate so that helped me alot.

Yeah, my son went through this just a few months ago.

He moved his family into my house, he took my car, he parked in the parking lot of his employer (50 miles away), he worked and then came home on the weekends until he got his first check and they were able to get an apartment.

Cost? I dunno...a tank of gas or so. I had to bicycle around while he was using my rig but that's okay, I didn't mind.

And if I hadn't been able to help him, he would have found another way.

Then, AFTER he got his job and his apartment, he went and got his furniture and stuff that was some 350 miles away, in storage, where he'd put it before he moved in with me.

It's amazing. Where there's a will, there's a way.

If he hadn't had my car to use, he would have used a tent and found a place to put it up.

People don't have any concept of what it means to really go after something in the face of adversity. "Wah, I can't move cuz I can't affo4rd to bring all my stuff....." You know what? HAVE A FUCKING GARGAGE SALE, sell your stuff, and use that money to live on so you can go where you can get a JOB, and buy MORE stuff. How pathetic is it that people today allow their committment to FURNITURE prevent them from actually WORKING.

Last edited:
:lol: "summer" job. Good for him. Come back when you can show me he found a well paying permanent job. My brother was a fisherman in Alaska. He worked for only a few months of the year but he made good money. Even those jobs are hard to find these days and it's only for the young. They won't hire a 50 year old, especially if she's a woman.

No, things are not what they once were in this country and no matter what you say, jobs just aren't as easy to get as you think and the ones that are available, if you can find one, pays crap. You can't even put a roof over your head on a minimum wage job, even a crappy roof, not if you also want to pay for food and utilities.

You're not listening, Ms Glass Half Empty. Can't never did anything. It isn't a "summer" job. It's an internship. BP came to his school with 2 internships. There were 122 applicants. They granted 16 interviews. He is 1 of the 2 they hired. Most of those other applicants found other internships. Heck, my son who was selected as 1 out of 122 wasn't granted an interview by several others he applied for. Again, choices. The field he is studying for only has two accredited programs in the whole US and it is a field that every major corporation in the world needs. About 98% of the students in his field have a job secured during their senior year, some starting at 6 figures. If he'd decided to be an english or history major, he probably would be one of the kids who can't find a job either.

This probably is attributable to the god-like qualities of your son, and the virtues of hard work and upright living. Plus, he is simple better than the "other" 99%.

LOL

God-like? No. Better than 99% of people? No. Hard work and upright living? Yes. He was blessed with intelligence among many other things. He was a straight A honor student and yes, an Eagle Scout. This is his sophomore year and he carried 18 hours his first semester and 22 hours this semester and he carried a 4.0 both semesters. That was after taking summer courses between his freshman and sophomore year. His cumulative GPA is 3.7 and he is in the Honors College. I forgot to mention, he has always had a job in addition to school.

If it makes you feel better about your shortcomings, go ahead and call him "lucky". I know different. He has busted his ass and it made his own "luck".

My nephew who graduated as Valedictorian of his high-school and went to MIT on a scholarship and graduated and was working for Intel decided to go back to school to get his law degree. He saw the writing on the wall. Intel had internships for their employees who went to law school but in-spite of his credentials, he didn't get one of those internships. He was glad later as every one of those people were laid off without finishing their internships. They had to go elsewhere and start over. My nephew is now a scum sucking corporate lawyer, but he has a job. Do you really think we need more scum sucking corporate lawyers?

And what the heck are those 120 other students suppose to do? Your son got lucky, not everyone is lucky.

You need to pay attention to what you are reading.

Sorry, that will never happen. That place is a shithole, and that's why they have to pay so much for people to move there. The climate is horrible, the scenary is stark, the population is dreary, and it is a harsh right-wing political environment--not very inviting for anyone under the age of, say, 60.

Oh it could very well happen.

I spent 20yrs in Northern NH almost on the Canadian border so if you think cold weather would bother me then your out to lunch there pal.

There were days when 8 degrees was the high for the whole week and 36 below zero was the temp at night.

As for the scenery and the population I guess that would matter if I gave a shit.

I could care if I had a neighbor.

For a right wing political environment ND does pretty damed good. Or perhaps its BECAUSE its a right wing environment. ND is a pretty healthy STate. Low UE and they have their own State Bank. Jobs up the ass. Yup. ND in a right wing environment is doing A O K.

Gee. Mayby the rest of the country should catch a clue.

And why does North Dakota have a low unemployment rate? Because the ONLY reason to live there is for employment. If you don't have a job and you're still living in ND, you're retired, "disabled," or just plain stupid.

Their budget is in good shape because they get so damned much money from the rest of the country through the U.S. government. North Dakota is nowhere near self-sustaining; without federal help, it would be a wasteland.

Two words describe North Dakota--Farm Subsidies.

Jobs up the ass? Hardly. They have a good growth rate, but that's easily done when they started from basically a zero non-agricultural employment base. You can take the entire annual employment growth in North Dakota by numbers, and it wouldn't affect New York by even a tenth of a percent. In other words, it's way overblown. Mainly right wing talk radio blather.

The fact of the matter is that there are many reasons why North Dakota cannot fill job openings, and you should think about that before you extol the virtues of right wing environments.

North Dakota weathered the Great Recession with a boom in natural resources, particularly oil extraction from the Bakken formation, which lies beneath the western part of the state.[6] The development has driven strong job and population growth, and low unemployment.[7][8]

Yeah. Sounds like ND is doing piss poor.

Yeah, and speaking of Federal Funding:

Here in North Dakota, thanks to years of our all-Democrat federal delegation (up to and including Senator Kent “deficit hawk” Conrad) bragging about how much federal pork they bring into the state, the situation is dire. According to a new report by the North Dakota Policy Council, in the current biennium federal funds make up 41% of the state budget.

Guess your not a fan of North Dakota and I can plainly see your not a fan of conservatism.

You do seem to be a fan of the Dems though. The Dems that loaded the State with all that Fed pork??

He moved his family into my house, he took my car, he parked in the parking lot of his employer (50 miles away), he worked and then came home on the weekends until he got his first check and they were able to get an apartment.

Cost? I dunno...a tank of gas or so. I had to bicycle around while he was using my rig but that's okay, I didn't mind.

Then, AFTER he got his job and his apartment, he went and got his furniture and stuff that was some 350 miles away, in storage, where he'd put it before he moved in with me.

If he hadn't had my car to use, he would have used a tent and found a place to put it up.

People don't have any concept of what it means to really go after something in the face of adversity. "Wah, I can't move cuz I can't affo4rd to bring all my stuff....." You know what? HAVE A FUCKING GARGAGE SALE, sell your stuff, and use that money to live on so you can go where you can get a JOB, and buy MORE stuff. How pathetic is it that people today allow their committment to FURNITURE prevent them from actually WORKING.

But in my experience, friend, your son's experience is fairly normal. That happens all of the time, and I could share similar experiences of my own (or my children's) that are similar. What's your point?

This probably is attributable to the god-like qualities of your son, and the virtues of hard work and upright living. Plus, he is simple better than the "other" 99%.

LOL

God-like? No. Better than 99% of people? No. Hard work and upright living? Yes. He was blessed with intelligence among many other things. He was a straight A honor student and yes, an Eagle Scout. This is his sophomore year and he carried 18 hours his first semester and 22 hours this semester and he carried a 4.0 both semesters. That was after taking summer courses between his freshman and sophomore year. His cumulative GPA is 3.7 and he is in the Honors College. I forgot to mention, he has always had a job in addition to school.

If it makes you feel better about your shortcomings, go ahead and call him "lucky". I know different. He has busted his ass and it made his own "luck".

How in the world can anyone afford 22 credit hours in one semester? That's hugely expensive.

Uh, no, as usual you are completely confused.

North Dakota has jobs because there is INDUSTRY going on there. People are building things. Washington doesnt' give a shit if North Dakota's air is polluted and the water is spoiled, because nobody from Washington ever wants to vacation there.

EXACTLY. That's my point. And also, look at the actual numbers of jobs in that state--not the rates.

Nobody wants to live kneedeep in waste sands and coated with heavy metals. Are you familiar with Romania?

Hmm. I wonder if there is ANYBODY on the planet who you think actually merited the job they have or any place that is doing well without help from the federal government? Do you ever wonder where the federal government gets the money to prop up everybody and every place in the country? I wonder what economic system you would say actually works?

February 6, 2013

North Dakota, Midwestern States Lead U.S. in Hiring

Maine had lowest Job Creation Index score in 2012

by Jeffrey M. Jones

PRINCETON, NJ -- North Dakota led the nation in job creation in 2012, according to worker self-reports of hiring activity at their places of employment. Five more states in the Midwest -- South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, and Indiana -- rank among the top states. Maine had the lowest job creation score, along with Connecticut, Idaho, and New Jersey.
North Dakota, Midwestern States Lead U.S. in Hiring[/url
]

North Dakota also led the nation in having the lowest unemployment rate this year:
[url=http://www.deptofnumbers.com/unemployment/states/]State Unemployment | Department of Numbers

North Dakota is ranked No. 10 of states receiving most federal outlays per capita, but only because of the nature of those outlays, the very high percentage of agricultural base, and the fact that ND has the third smallest population among U.S. states.

Last edited:
Oh it could very well happen.

I spent 20yrs in Northern NH almost on the Canadian border so if you think cold weather would bother me then your out to lunch there pal.

There were days when 8 degrees was the high for the whole week and 36 below zero was the temp at night.

As for the scenery and the population I guess that would matter if I gave a shit.

I could care if I had a neighbor.

For a right wing political environment ND does pretty damed good. Or perhaps its BECAUSE its a right wing environment. ND is a pretty healthy STate. Low UE and they have their own State Bank. Jobs up the ass. Yup. ND in a right wing environment is doing A O K.

Gee. Mayby the rest of the country should catch a clue.

And why does North Dakota have a low unemployment rate? Because the ONLY reason to live there is for employment. If you don't have a job and you're still living in ND, you're retired, "disabled," or just plain stupid.

Their budget is in good shape because they get so damned much money from the rest of the country through the U.S. government. North Dakota is nowhere near self-sustaining; without federal help, it would be a wasteland.

Two words describe North Dakota--Farm Subsidies.

Jobs up the ass? Hardly. They have a good growth rate, but that's easily done when they started from basically a zero non-agricultural employment base. You can take the entire annual employment growth in North Dakota by numbers, and it wouldn't affect New York by even a tenth of a percent. In other words, it's way overblown. Mainly right wing talk radio blather.

The fact of the matter is that there are many reasons why North Dakota cannot fill job openings, and you should think about that before you extol the virtues of right wing environments.

North Dakota weathered the Great Recession with a boom in natural resources, particularly oil extraction from the Bakken formation, which lies beneath the western part of the state.[6] The development has driven strong job and population growth, and low unemployment.[7][8]

Yeah. Sounds like ND is doing piss poor.

Yeah, and speaking of Federal Funding:

Here in North Dakota, thanks to years of our all-Democrat federal delegation (up to and including Senator Kent “deficit hawk” Conrad) bragging about how much federal pork they bring into the state, the situation is dire. According to a new report by the North Dakota Policy Council, in the current biennium federal funds make up 41% of the state budget.

Guess your not a fan of North Dakota and I can plainly see your not a fan of conservatism.

You do seem to be a fan of the Dems though. The Dems that loaded the State with all that Fed pork??

My point is that you "conservatives" in North Dakota are completely dependent upon federal assistance to maintain your state. Your population would not be able to do it alone.

Also, farm states tend to do better in recessions because so much of their income is derived from agricultural industry and subsidies. They do better than industrial states; and, when "stimulus" packages are created, they indulge just like the other states. ON THE OTHER HAND, though, when times improve and stimulative spending is cut, the industrials states improve on their own--whereas the rural states see a decline in their economic growth. This happens over and over.

LOL

How in the world can anyone afford 22 credit hours in one semester? That's hugely expensive.

I can tell you this, the government isn't paying for it. It's a combination of him paying part, a few scholarships and my wife and I picking up the rest. He will finish his sopohomore year with 79 hours. By the end of his first semester of his junior year, he will be technically classified as a senior. The nice thing is, he can take fewer hours these last two years which will reduce his tuition bill and allow him even more time to concentrate on his major. It all evens out in the end.

But in my experience, friend, your son's experience is fairly normal. That happens all of the time, and I could share similar experiences of my own (or my children's) that are similar. What's your point?

I was responding to Peepers retarded comment that moving was too expensive for poor people, because they have to rent trucks to move their stuff. My point is that that is a stupid argument.

Anything else?

Last edited:

Do you have difficulty tracking? You just said that moving was too expensive for poor people. My point is that that is a stupid argument.

Anything else?

That's funny, KG. You're confusing me with someone else. I don't recall saying anything about moving costs.

Fixed it. I was responding to the comment that I included in my post. I don't know how to make it more clear.

LOL

My son graduated from his college with a 4.0 and he still can't get a job, so yeah, your son is lucky.

LOL

My son graduated from his college with a 4.0 and he still can't get a job, so yeah, your son is lucky.

What did he study and is he willing to relocate? Two decisions that help determine "luck".

What did he study and is he willing to relocate? Two decisions that help determine "luck".

electronics, and no. He's special needs. High Functioning Autism. Again, your son is lucky.

electronics, and no. He's special needs. High Functioning Autism. Again, your son is lucky.

If you want to call it luck, we'll go with that. Your son has limitations that affect his ability to find work beyond a bad economy and high unemployment. Mine does not. which increases his chances. Luck had nothing to do with it. It simply is what it is. Life is not fair or equal. I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and it limits what I can and can not do. As much as I wanted to go on a 10 day backpacking trip with my son when he was in Boy Scouts, it was unwise for me to do so. I learned this by attempting smaller prepatory trips. I've always wanted to learn to fly but I can't get a pilot's license. That isn't unfair and people who can do those things aren't lucky. They just lack the limitations that I have. I lack other limitiations that other people have. The worst limitations are the ones we impose on ourselves when we convince ourselves that we "can't". A crippled person can't walk across the country. But he can roll across it. Should he stay home because he is "unlucky" an can't walk?

I prefer to think that people are blessed as opposed to be lucky and we are all blessed with different things. It's when we think that others are lucky and we are therefore unlucky and allow that to control our situation that we become negative and convince ourselves that something is impossible. Can't never did anything.

Forum List

Back