The most underrated cuisine is American

New Orleans cuisine is absolutely delicious! :thup: nothing underrated about it !!!
Creole and Cajun are Americanized versions of French cuisine as found in New Orleans. The main thing I cook. If you like that French cuisine would also be to your taste.

French cuisine seems a bit lighter... I like Creoles etc, but Lowcountry dishes are also lighter.. The roux are lighter and thinner.

Fried okra.

Shrimp and grits. Catfish stew.
I've never had grits. Several years ago grits was a topic here because I bought a box and HereWeGoAgain said that they don't have a taste but pick up whatever is around them. I can't see putting something as expensive as shrimp with it. I think I ended up throwing it out.

I want to like catfish but it kind of tastes funny. We have a couple of places that do fried catfish.

New Orleans cuisine is absolutely delicious! :thup: nothing underrated about it !!!
Creole and Cajun are Americanized versions of French cuisine as found in New Orleans. The main thing I cook. If you like that French cuisine would also be to your taste.
French, African, Caribbean, Italian. Creole is "city" food and Cajun is more "country".

Cajun food does the very best of vegetables.

Fried okra.

I've never had grits. Several years ago grits was a topic here because I bought a box and HereWeGoAgain said that they don't have a taste but pick up whatever is around them. I can't see putting something as expensive as shrimp with it. I think I ended up throwing it out.

I want to like catfish but it kind of tastes funny. We have a couple of places that do fried catfish.

Hominy grits fried after bacon.

Fried okra.

Hominy grits fried after bacon.
Well, if bacon is involved.....

Most of it had to be modified simply because of the unavailability of ingredients. Like, Greek food uses lemons but before the mid 1990s we didn't have mega grocery stores. Lemons are seasonal and so........vinegar was used instead. Also, how we wound up with crap like sweet and sour pork etc.

One has to remember that most of the food we think of as "Italian" is actually Italian American and thus falls under American Cuisine as well.
All food in the world falls under "American Cuisine."

Only when it gets modified in some way.
Modified or not.

Not so. American cuisines are taken from the "mother" country and were modified for the raw materials present here, either better, worse, or just different.

Most Southern Italians were too poor to afford beef or veal, but it became an Italian American staple.

One has to remember that most of the food we think of as "Italian" is actually Italian American and thus falls under American Cuisine as well.

Modified or not.

Not so. American cuisines are taken from the "mother" country and were modified .....

American creativity changes things over time, but just as we are a country composed of peoples from all over the world, our cuisine is the cuisine from all over the world.

Modified or not.

Not so. American cuisines are taken from the "mother" country and were modified for the raw materials present here, either better, worse, or just different.

Most Southern Italians were too poor to afford beef or veal, but it became an Italian American staple.
Fry Bread!

Forum List

Back