The most underrated cuisine is American

One has to remember that most of the food we think of as "Italian" is actually Italian American and thus falls under American Cuisine as well.
All food in the world falls under "American Cuisine."

Only when it gets modified in some way.
Modified or not.

Not so. American cuisines are taken from the "mother" country and were modified .....

American creativity changes things over time, but just as we are a country composed of peoples from all over the world, our cuisine is the cuisine from all over the world.

We do have that advantage. I like Lowcountry soul food, but I also love Northern Italian, French and some Mexican. We're blessed.

New Orleans cuisine is absolutely delicious! :thup: nothing underrated about it !!!
Creole and Cajun are Americanized versions of French cuisine as found in New Orleans. The main thing I cook. If you like that French cuisine would also be to your taste.

French cuisine seems a bit lighter... I like Creoles etc, but Lowcountry dishes are also lighter.. The roux are lighter and thinner.
I have not got around to learning the French cuisine yet but in the next year

Arguably you can trace back origins of BBQ to the colonist learning cooking methods of the American Indians.
The "plainer" foods such as meatloaf/mash/green beans is not really American. That is the foods settlers ate in Europe.
To me, American cuisine is like so many things American - we take basic foods and experiment the hell out of it to produce varieties of what was once very simple food. Cajun is a good example, BBQ another. Craft beer is a fine example of Americans willingness to stray from traditions and do new things.

Arguably you can trace back origins of BBQ to the colonist learning cooking methods of the American Indians.
The "plainer" foods such as meatloaf/mash/green beans is not really American. That is the foods settlers ate in Europe.
To me, American cuisine is like so many things American - we take basic foods and experiment the hell out of it to produce varieties of what was once very simple food. Cajun is a good example, BBQ another. Craft beer is a fine example of Americans willingness to stray from traditions and do new things.
I'm with you until you started talking craft beer--beer has been crafted since the monks in Belgium and before.

I'm with you until you started talking craft beer--beer has been crafted since the monks in Belgium and before.

They've had beer since Sumer. Read your Bible.. Noah gave the world wine.

Tell him--don't tell me, I think that is what I posted-- since the monks in Belgium and before.

Tell him--don't tell me, I think that is what I posted-- since the monks in Belgium and before.

The first chemically confirmed barley beer dates back to the 5th millennium BC in Iran, and was recorded in the written history of ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia and spread throughout the world. Though, the ancient Chinese artifacts suggested that beer brewed with grapes, honey, hawthorns, and rice were produced as far back as 7,000 BC.
History of beer - Wikipedia

The first chemically confirmed barley beer dates back to the 5th millennium BC in Iran, and was recorded in the written history of ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia and spread throughout the world. Though, the ancient Chinese artifacts suggested that beer brewed with grapes, honey, hawthorns, and rice were produced as far back as 7,000 BC.

Just sayin... I am a serious beer aficionado. Been a craft homebrewer since the 90s.
The first recorded beer brewing was indeed in Egypt. Hieroglyphics on tomb walls show the process of brewing of what had to be beer. It showed clear pictures of grains/fire under the pots and leaving the liquid in open containers.
You can make beer this way now, but it is pretty awful. Wild yeast produce very funky and/or sour flavors.

I am talking about what is referred as "craft beer"
For Pete's sake I wasn't talking about beer period. It is one of the most ancient alcoholic drinks on the planet.
There is even some signs of early man drinking fermented grain water before civilization.

Just sayin... I am a serious beer aficionado. Been a craft homebrewer since the 90s.
The first recorded beer brewing was indeed in Egypt. Hieroglyphics on tomb walls show the process of brewing of what had to be beer. It showed clear pictures of grains/fire under the pots and leaving the liquid in open containers.
You can make beer this way now, but it is pretty awful. Wild yeast produce very funky and/or sour flavors.

Maybe it was safer than the drinking water.

Oh, yeah! Bulgogi. That is awesome.
Bulgogi is not an actual dish, but a style of cooking meat on skewers over open flames.
The dish people call Bulgogi is nothing like what Bulgogi actually is...which translated literally means "fire meat".
The dish called Bulgogi isn't even cooked over a fire.

Absolutely, and is why wine and beer was made.
Beer is an incredible drink with history like no other.
It is even attributed to what made civilization even possible. Clean potable water was essential for early man to be able to travel across areas that had little water sources. So they began growing grains to brew beer for men to travel and trade/settle.
Did you know that early ship voyages discovered many Islands/lands because they needed to find grains to make beer so searched high and low for lands to stop and gather grains... it's true.

It is even attributed to what made civilization even possible. Clean potable water was essential for early man to be able to travel across areas that had little water sources. So they began growing grains to brew beer for men to travel and trade/settle.
Did you know that early ship voyages discovered many Islands/lands because they needed to find grains to make beer so searched high and low for lands to stop and gather grains... it's true.

They say the original Noah was a king of Sumer who hauled Grain, Beer and Livestock down river on barges.

They say the original Noah was a king of Sumer who hauled Grain, Beer and Livestock down river on barges.
Could have been.... watch this trailer of one of the best beer documentaries out there....

Oh, yeah! Bulgogi. That is awesome.
Thank you!

I am talking about what is referred as "craft beer"
For Pete's sake I wasn't talking about beer period. It is one of the most ancient alcoholic drinks on the planet.
There is even some signs of early man drinking fermented grain water before civilization.
What the Belgian monks were brewing was very similar to what you call "craft" beer. Those beers were and still are some of the best "craft" beers in the world.

Forum List

Back