The Multi Quote Abuse

Can't follow a REAL discussion with just one level of quote. If the dialogue is going ---- Me, Them, Me ---- then I want a MINIMUM of 2 level nested quotes so that I can point out all the questions the jerk ignored in my previous post. Too bad it's not Forum selectable at the Admin level. Because you don't need it in the Flame Zone or Announcements --- but it's useful everywhere else.

Just find places where you can break and start fresh with NO quotes or with manually selecting a SINGLE quote.. It's just called manners....

Good example of the problem is in Current Events,

"Mississippi man beaten after he's warned restaurant wasn't safe for whites" thread

Biggest 'nest' I've seen so far.

Manners? You expect people to manually delete a nested reply out of manners? :) I mean I avoid the nest n all but I'm a goody. :) Most aren't. And after the first page few are havng actual discussions. Sounds like you got this out of some circa 1970s manual of Netiquette written for people using UNIX at a university. :)

People need to edit the quotes. Its an add-on so its either/or. There is no allowing a certain number before it stops.

I prefer the way it handles quotes natively (only one quote) keeps the conversation moving forward and makes people actually read.

Nested quotes are pointless and only benefit those who are too lazy to read and keep up with a thread.
You're the man!

But hey, I ain't no kiss-ass!

Can something be done about that crap? Doing it to address a few folks is fine, but the way it is being used now is just flat out obnoxious.

It's not really multi-quote abuse....it's the nested quote thang.

I'd rather go back to the default set up where only the most recent post is quoted.

Good example of the problem is in Current Events,

"Mississippi man beaten after he's warned restaurant wasn't safe for whites" thread

Biggest 'nest' I've seen so far.

Manners? You expect people to manually delete a nested reply out of manners? :) I mean I avoid the nest n all but I'm a goody. :) Most aren't. And after the first page few are havng actual discussions. Sounds like you got this out of some circa 1970s manual of Netiquette written for people using UNIX at a university. :)

Number one, there's no point in making a citation like that without a link. Nobody's going to hunt it down. Would have taken less time than typing out the title.

Number two, when a nest gets out of hand the party that suffers is the writer, because nobody's going to read it at that level. That means it's in the writer's interest to edit judiciously if they want to be taken seriously. Just as writing clearly is imperative for the same purpose. So if it becomes a rat's nest, just refuse to read it until they fix it.

Maybe I am blind? Where does one QUOTE something from a news article? What icon does one use in the reply box?

Maybe I am blind? Where does one QUOTE something from a news article? What icon does one use in the reply box?

What do you mean? Citing some text in an article?
Only way I know is to copy what you want, insert in the post, then go back and copy the URL so you can link it.

I like to set mine off with the Indent feature -- or you can do it in another color or font. You could put it in a quote box -- some people do-- but I find it's then too small to read plus it's all in italics.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for...

Yeah..you answered my question fine. Confusing not having a quote icon, but I have been using italics and colored font for it since I can't quote it with quotation marks.
Thank you, hon.

Yeah..you answered my question fine. Confusing not having a quote icon, but I have been using italics and colored font for it since I can't quote it with quotation marks.
Thank you, hon.

We do have a manual quote box...

Like this

-- which is in the 'insert' button (between Media and Drafts).

"Drafts"? Wonder what that is.. :dunno:

Can something be done about that crap? Doing it to address a few folks is fine, but the way it is being used now is just flat out obnoxious.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you please elaborate?

In my personal experience, the multiquote is the single greatest new feature our lord and savior CK has brought to us by leading us to the promised land of milk and trolling called Xenforo.

I already commented on this. Some of these people are quoting until the boxes get so thin each line of text is one character.

Is that a poster consciously doing that or a glitch in the software? I just hit reply but get multiple quote boxes in my post to the point of ridiculousness. You can't even follow who said what without reverse engineering them.

I know there's a feature that eliminates all the quotes, except the one you're responding to. I've never had to do that in another forum, but here I've had to do it manually every time I respond to someone and it gets old.

I haven't found that feature yet. Could you point it out to me?

It sucks. I just now turned off all my alerts due to having towers of quotes and non stop scrolling just to get to the end of it.
And it especially sucks that people are doing it for fun and to irritate other readers.
I liked this new format, especially the alert function but now I won't use it at all. And, any thread that has the Monster Quote Towers..I will back out of from now on.

I don't think people are doing it intentionally it's a bug in the software or just bad software.

I already commented on this. Some of these people are quoting until the boxes get so thin each line of text is one character.

Is that a poster consciously doing that or a glitch in the software? I just hit reply but get multiple quote boxes in my post to the point of ridiculousness. You can't even follow who said what without reverse engineering them.

First, consider the source. :rolleyes:
It's not possible to reduce posts to a single character. We tried that in a sandbox, got it up to about 25 levels.

Finally, reverse engineering (editing) is indeed the prescribed solution. We should all be editing out old context that is no longer needed for the point, as a habit. That will prevent monsters from growing. And as I keep noting, it will be the poster trying to make a point who suffers those slings and arrows, so it's in that poster's interest to do so.

Forum List

Back