The New American Center

kiwiman127

Comfortably Moderate
Oct 19, 2010
4th Cleanest City in the World-Minneapolis
As I deal with demographics with my job, I found this article pretty interesting:
==========================================

The New American Center: Why our nation isn't as divided as we think

It’s the most conventional wisdom in Washington, the unchallenged idea that America is a divided nation, a country ripped into red and blue factions in perpetual conflict. The government shutdown this fall would seem like only the latest evidence of this political civil war. But is the idea of two Americas even true? Not according to a new Esquire-NBC News survey.

At the center of national sentiment there’s no longer a chasm but a common ground where a diverse and growing majority - 51% - is bound by a surprising set of shared ideas.

“Just because Washington is polarized doesn’t mean America is,” says Robert Blizzard, a partner at Public Opinion Strategies, the lead pollster for Mitt Romney in 2012. His firm co-created the survey with the Benenson Strategy Group, pollsters for President Obama, and the result is a nation in eight distinct segments: two on the far right ("The Righteous Right" and "The Talk Radio Heads"), two on the far left ("The Bleeding Hearts" and "The Gospel Left"), and four in the middle that represent nothing less than a new American center ("Minivan Moderates," "The MBA Middle," "The Pick-up Populists, and "The #WhateverMan.")
The New American Center: Why our nation isn't as divided as we think - NBC Politics

=========================================
The 2012 election exit polls basically confirm that in today's world within the US, moderates (the center) is the largest segment and it's growing. The center isn't just made up of people who claim to be moderates, centralist or Independents. It also includes people who believe they are Republican, Democrat, conservative and liberal but based on their beliefs are more centralist. And this majority sometimes agrees with the Democrats and sometimes agrees with the Republicans.
This is bad news for the extreme left and the extreme right because their ideas/ideologies really don't represent the core overall beliefs/convictions/values of the growing centralist majority, they are too extreme!
There's a quiz the one can take to see where they fit into the eight centralist categories.
As USMB is a political board, most posters here are dedicated lefties or righties who will have no interest with the quiz. But there are a few (myself included) that are more so centralist who may have interest with this quiz.
Below is where I ended up.

Attachments

• $summary_pickuppopulist.jpg
    $summary_pickuppopulist.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 67

Forum List

Back