The New Dutch Government: An End to Tolerance?

Sounds to me like they're encouraging tolerance. Who do these immigrants think they are, with their intolerance of the Dutch language.

Once they're tolerant of Dutch, maybe next they'll become tolerant of English and French.

Do you really have a problem with a sovereign nation with a unique culture desiring to keep their identity in tact? They shouldn't have to make a law, if someone emigrates to another nation, learning the language and respecting their culture should be mandated by that person's moral compass and sense of integrity. Speaking the language is the very least someone could do when they are welcomed into a new homeland.

According to the article the government will provide classes in language and citizenship to new immigrants.
It doesn't quite say what the headline states.
The government program includes measures to ban the burqa; reject more asylum-seekers; halve immigration from non-Western countries; bar radical religious leaders entering the country; set language and citizenship classes for immigrants applying for residence permits; and fast-track expulsions of immigrants convicted of crimes.

Nevertheless, I believe that immigrants should accept the general culture of the country that they've settled in.

The Netherlands Tells Immigrants to Learn Dutch or Get Out - Video - TIME.com
It only makes sense. Newcomers can't assimilate into the culture unless they learn the language.

I keep hearing this 'assimilate' thing. This is total BS. What Muslims need to do is just learn enough Dutch to get by at work. Beyond that, they have right to enjoy the food, movies and clothes of their choice (aka culture) as long as it does not violate decency.

For example, I like cricket. You can call it my culture if you so desire. So using your assimilation thingie, you may think that you have the right to force me to not like cricket? And, I would say that is a BS. However, I have to exercise my common sense in my love for cricket and I cannot go around American parks ans start playing cricket with Brett Lee who throws balls at the speed of 100mph.

It only makes sense. Newcomers can't assimilate into the culture unless they learn the language.

I keep hearing this 'assimilate' thing. This is total BS. What Muslims need to do is just learn enough Dutch to get by at work. Beyond that, they have right to enjoy the food, movies and clothes of their choice (aka culture) as long as it does not violate decency.

For example, I like cricket. You can call it my culture if you so desire. So using your assimilation thingie, you may think that you have the right to force me to not like cricket? And, I would say that is a BS. However, I have to exercise my common sense in my love for cricket and I cannot go around American parks ans start playing cricket with Brett Lee who throws balls at the speed of 100mph.

In saying that...The Netherlands had a pretty impressive run at the recent 20/20 World Cup...or World Championship or whatever it is.

Look at what's happening in some European countries that embrace multiculturalism. There is tension and conflict, especially in cities like London. When newcomers tend to isolate themselves (ghettoize), and not assimilate, it is a recipe for disaster. Why would they move someplace where they would not be in tune with the culture? I would be miserable living someplace where I stick out like a sore thumb.

In saying that...The Netherlands had a pretty impressive run at the recent 20/20 World Cup...or World Championship or whatever it is.

Yes, the T20 World Cup, I started watching the event with minimum expectation because of India's performance lately. BTW, I blame you Kiwis for that. But I got excited when India beat the crap out of Australia and Pakistan. But I guess Indian team on a mission to torment me lost in the final against Sri Lanka.

I did not watch the game between The Netherlands and England. I heard it was a thriller and the Dutch thrashed English big time.
(Or, was it the Irish they beat?)

Last edited:

Yes, the T20 World Cup, I started watching the event with minimum expectation because of India's performance lately. BTW, I blame you Kiwis for that. But I got excited when India beat the crap out of Australia and Pakistan. But I guess Indian team on a mission to torment me lost in the final against Sri Lanka.

I did not watch the game between The Netherlands and England. I heard it was a thriller and the Dutch thrashed English big time.

Yeah, England AND Ireland...and I'm sorry about NZ's part in your agony.

You know, the Netherlands is a sovereign nation. They could always say get the hell out or you can't come in. What is the benefit of allowing muslims to integrate if they have no desire to embrace the Dutch culture...if the intention is to change the dynamics of what the Dutch are?

Yeah, England AND Ireland...and I'm sorry about NZ's part in your agony.

I can buy Netherlands beating Ireland but it is hard to believe they kicked English a$$. That is impressive. Go Orange!

Regarding India's NZ tour, it is a dog eat dog world. What can I say. You either win or you lose. That is the way it is. That is why they call it sports. BTW, congratulations to your team! I liked your new fast bowlers.

Last edited:
Could you ever imagine a Christian or a Jew moving to Saudi Arabia and demanding they change their culture, language and religious practices to satisfy their immigrants? If Muslims want to escape the harsh realities of living in a Muslim country, why are they so dead set on changing the customs of the nations in which they immigrate?

Oh, I forgot, this thread is now about cricket...I guess that's why all you can hear are cricket's chirping.

Could you ever imagine a Christian or a Jew moving to Saudi Arabia and demanding they change their culture, language and religious practices to satisfy their immigrants? If Muslims want to escape the harsh realities of living in a Muslim country, why are they so dead set on changing the customs of the nations in which they immigrate?

Oh, I forgot, this thread is now about cricket...I guess that's why all you can hear are cricket's chirping.

Saui Arabia is a different country with different policies.
Throwing up false equivalencies means nothing.

I see - so this whole ideal of a world without borders and globalization only applies to non-Muslim nations? The Netherlands can't define their own policies, but Saudi Arabia can.

Nonsense!

I see - so this whole ideal of a world without borders and globalization only applies to non-Muslim nations? The Netherlands can't define their own policies, but Saudi Arabia can.

Nonsense!

What Saudi Arabia does is wrong, actually, it is way worse than what Netherlands does but Saudi Arabia's policies should not be used as an excuse to engage in bigotry.

Nonsense!

What Saudi Arabia does is wrong, actually, it is way worse than what Netherlands does but Saudi Arabia's policies should not be used as an excuse to engage in bigotry.

How is the Dutch law, bigotry? If I walked into your house, demanded you hang a crucifix over every door and made you observe my holidays, is that acceptable? If you say no, does that make you a bigot? Pure nonsense! The truth of the matter is that muslims are trying to bully their faith into nations that do not accept backwards traditions and hate.

Forum List

Back