🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Occupy Wall Street Movement is WORKING!!!

"'We think the Occupy movement has given voice to something very basic about what’s going on in our country right now,' said Damon Silvers, the A.F.L.-C.I.O.’s policy director. 'The fact that they’ve figured out certain concepts and language for doing that, we think is really important and positive.'

"Over the last month, unions have provided extensive support to Occupy protesters around the country, from rain ponchos to cash donations.

"National Nurses United is providing staff members for first-aid tables at many encampments, while the A.F.L.-C.I.O.’s headquarters two blocks from the White House is providing shower facilities for the protesters occupying McPherson Square, 300 yards to the east.

"Unions have also intervened with politicians on behalf of the protesters. In Los Angeles, labor leaders have repeatedly lobbied Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa not to evict the protesters.

"When New York City officials were threatening to evict the Occupy Wall Street protesters from Zuccotti Park, hundreds of union members showed up before daybreak to discourage any eviction, and the city backed down."

Occupy Movement Inspires Unions to Embrace Bold Tactics | Truthout

The "basic truth" that OWS has figured out is the same one that Adam Smith wrote about in 1776. The principal architects of policy (the richest 1% of humanity) consolidate state power and use it for their own selfish interests.

FLUSH the 1% along with Republicans AND Democrats.
Vote OWS and Labor in 2012.

How come I don't see any OWS party Candidates to vote for?

"'We think the Occupy movement has given voice to something very basic about what’s going on in our country right now,' said Damon Silvers, the A.F.L.-C.I.O.’s policy director. 'The fact that they’ve figured out certain concepts and language for doing that, we think is really important and positive.'

"Over the last month, unions have provided extensive support to Occupy protesters around the country, from rain ponchos to cash donations.

"National Nurses United is providing staff members for first-aid tables at many encampments, while the A.F.L.-C.I.O.’s headquarters two blocks from the White House is providing shower facilities for the protesters occupying McPherson Square, 300 yards to the east.

"Unions have also intervened with politicians on behalf of the protesters. In Los Angeles, labor leaders have repeatedly lobbied Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa not to evict the protesters.

"When New York City officials were threatening to evict the Occupy Wall Street protesters from Zuccotti Park, hundreds of union members showed up before daybreak to discourage any eviction, and the city backed down."

The "basic truth" that OWS has figured out is the same one that Adam Smith wrote about in 1776. The principal architects of policy (the richest 1% of humanity) consolidate state power and use it for their own selfish interests.

Probably for the same reason that there's no "Tea Party" on the ballot.

There are plenty of politicians hitching themselves to the OWS bandwagon though.

I don't think it's possible for OWS to endorse any candidate and remain credible; however, they might endorse a vote AGAINST every Republican AND Democratic incumbent running for reelection in 2012. Labor is talking about withholding their support from Democrats, but that seems like a long shot at this point.

OWS + Unions + Communists = Change
Fascism, Bolshevism and corporations grew from the same Hegelian roots.
In the case of US corporations they weren't legislated into existence.
They depended more on activist judges who were often former corporate lawyers.
Worry more about the devil close enough to hurt you.
Marx, Mao and Stalin are still dead.

OWS + Unions + Communists = Change
The only change I see is the 99% getting sick of the spoiled brat greedy 1% Occupados protesting in their public plazas and attacking their police and businesses.

You righties are missing the whole point of the OWS. Then again, you only operate on sound bites. Anything deeper and you get out of your depth..
Okay, Mr. Deep-end. Answer me this multi-part question.

1. The Occupados desire change from Capitalism.
a. What do they wish to change to?
b. How do they propose to get to that new system?
c. Who will be in charge of the system after it is created?

Since this has not been answerered in about 5 threads and over 2000 posts, I'm pretty sure you'll resort to soundbites and bullshit rhetoric instead of the solid answers you are required to give. Step up or step off.

"Workers are with the Occupy movement on the broader issues; they’re with them on the issue of inequality,” she said. “The question is, can the labor movement or the Occupy movement move that message down to the workplace, where workers confront low wages, low benefits and little power? Can we use it to organize workers where it really matters, in the workplace, to help their everyday life?”

Let's see who puts half-a-million marchers in the street first, OWS and Labor or Goldman Sachs and the Koch brothers?

You righties are missing the whole point of the OWS. Then again, you only operate on sound bites. Anything deeper and you get out of your depth..
Okay, Mr. Deep-end. Answer me this multi-part question.

1. The Occupados desire change from Capitalism.
a. What do they wish to change to?
b. How do they propose to get to that new system?
c. Who will be in charge of the system after it is created?

Since this has not been answerered in about 5 threads and over 2000 posts, I'm pretty sure you'll resort to soundbites and bullshit rhetoric instead of the solid answers you are required to give. Step up or step off.

At its most basic, they want to know why those on Wall St are paid shitloads of money, given massive bonuses, even when the companies they are in charge of either don't make a profit, or lose money.

Most of them don't want capitalism changed, they just don't want unfettered, unregulated capitalism. Look what happened when that occured in 2008, and it looks like the worst is yet to come.

What they don't like is Wall St being in charge of Wall St. They want accountability, but every time it is mentioned, these Wall St retards try and scare the crap out of people by saying it wont' work, it will case the collapse of Western Civilisation, whereas, what it is really about is they don't like being held accountable.

And it doesn't matter how many times you right wing loons go after the peripheral players of the OWS movement as if they are the norm (in order to bolster your argument - hell, is it even an argument you are interesting in providing???), they do not represent the majority. Makes nice sounds bites though

Last edited:

Organized labor has hitched their busted wheel wagon to a bunch of freeloading pricks. Good move. 93% of us are union free. Unions are on their death bed because most people cannot stand them.
Oh, before you go off on tangent about the repeal of the anti collective bargaining law in Ohio, that vote was the knockout blow to public worker unions in the Buckeye State.
Beginning in 2012, public employment in Ohio will see thousands of permanent layoffs as cash strapped cities and counties will have no alternative but to slash public employment.
The voters basically ties the hands of their own elected officials.

Why are those Ohio cities and counties cash strapped?
Organized labor, OWS or Wall Street?
$12.8 trillion is the total so far "lent, spent or guaranteed" for bailing out your Wall Street heroes.
And it appears their bad bets in Europe are coming due.
Are you ready for "Martial Law II?"

Organized labor in the US never had the muscle to compete with management compared to countries like Germany, for example. German unions have voting members sitting on the boards of directors of German Corporations. Which is why German factories didn't move to China when their US competition did. Which is why the richest 1% of Germans earned 11% of total German income in the 1970s and they earn the same 11% today.

By contrast, your role models among the richest 1% of US citizens earned 8% of total income in the 1970s and over 20% today.

Your solution is to give the 1% even more?
Good thinking.
Governments in the US should stop borrowing from the richest 1% and resume taxing them at the same levels they paid 40 years ago.

The true cost of the bank bailout | Need to Know | PBS

The discussion has moved from deficits to jobs, and the policy discussions have moved distinctly to the left. The OWS movement has had a dramatic impact on the political landscape.

One thing seems fairly obvious.

The technicque of calling OWS protestors "communists" isn't working.

I have little doubt the people who hate the OWS take some small conmfort believing that nonsense, but nobody else does.

The debate has shifted, folks.

OWS has already accomplished its goal.

What debate has shifted ?

Formerly the debate centered around the deficit and national debt.

It is now shifting to what is happening to the American people.

In what I watch, there has hardly been any debate at all.

Okay.

We are still in deep trouble with our debt and we need to elect folks to congress who will address it.

Ah, you prove my point. You still think the primary problem is the debt. Clearly others, a whole lot of others, don't.

No new taxes is still at the front and will continue to be so until there are serious cuts in the budget, SS is addressed and Medicare is made to look like it might last more than a few years.

I ahppen to agree with the GOP about no additional taxation. I disagree about cutting the budget. Social Security isn't the problem. Social security is well funded for now.

There is no debate if you bankrupt the country.

There nation will be bankrupt if we don't shore up the middle class.

I will say that many conservatives have taken heart in the fact that these protests represent an admission tht the democratic party is a failure.

Grasp at whatever straw makes you feel better.

This is seen as a the last gasp of the "Yes we can" crowd that figured out that "Well, really we are pretty inept and it seems like we can't"....but don't want to let go of their dreams.

Have you? Perhaps. But the outcomes of key elections suggest otherwise.

The OWS is an open admission that the democratic approach is a failure.

Is it?

The discussion has moved from deficits to jobs, and the policy discussions have moved distinctly to the left. The OWS movement has had a dramatic impact on the political landscape.
A few years ago half-a-million citizens (and others) gathered in downtown Los Angeles to protest immigration "reform." If OWS and organized labor can put those same numbers into streets around the country next November, it's possible millions of voters will discover a "choice" between Democrat OR Republican is really no choice at all.

I think I should run as the OWS candidate.

I'm perfect.

I'm well educated, I have a Doctorate from Berkeley. I've never had an illegal alien housekeeper; well technically, I've never had a house. I've never had a job, never paid taxes, don't know what office I want to run for, don't know what I would do if elected AND I'm a convicted felon.

I represent the 99% better than anyone I can think of.

Forum List

Back