The Official "Sky is Falling" Government Shutdown Thread.

WelfareQueen

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2013
Uranus
Since our good friends on the left have already started approximately 25 threads on the possible Government shut down (code name Armageddon or the Apocalypse to Democrats), I thought I'd start a definitive "Sky-is-Falling Government shutdown thread.

We all know if there is a Government shut down...life on our planet is over. The universe stops spinning on its axis and we all die.

Remember the Great Sequestration Panic. Remember all the death and doom predictions by Obama and his idiot followers? How did that turn out?

To fondly remember the hysteria, here's a clip of our buffoon-in-chief. It is very funny as well as being enlightening. Please watch the whole thing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a bunch more jobs lost. No biggie

We were supposed to lose millions of jobs with sequestration, remember? How did that turn out? Was it maybe just another fake crisis for Obama to attempt to exploit?

Remember, Rahm Emmanuel (Obama's former Chief-Of-Staff) said never pass up a good crisis...real or imagined.

Shutdown's potential effects on jobs:

How a Potential Government Shutdown Could Affect NASA

If government shuts down, economy would feel it

Sequester's real effects on jobs:

State estimates 21,000 Md jobs lost to sequester cuts - baltimoresun.com

Sequester's toll - The Hill's Congress Blog

Argument that sequester hasn't lost jobs (basically arguing that we'll never know what would've happened if there hadn't been a sequester so the facts are dumb and so on):
PolitiFact Georgia | Math on sequester job cuts doesn't add up

My office has been notified if there's a shutdown, we'll come in for 4 hours on Tuesday morning and shut down the place.

Essential operators, the hydroelectric plant guys and the navigation lock operators, will still be at work.

Excerpt from the email:
Orderly Shutdown:

If a gap in funding occurs, non-essential operations will be discontinued effective midnight 30 September 2013 Eastern Daylight Time. Employees will be expected to report to work on their next scheduled work day upon the lapse in appropriations to prepare for the suspension of operations (Tuesday morning, OCT 01 for most employees). Employees will report to their supervisor and receive a furlough notice letter. They will then conduct any actions required to conduct an orderly shutdown of their activities (secure equipment, properly secure documents, change phone messages, set up email "out of office" notifications, etc.). If leave in lieu of furlough is authorized, leave requests will have to be submitted/approved prior to receiving the furlough letter. It is expected that these activities should take less than four (4) hours. Employees will be released by their supervisor once these activities are complete.

Furloughed employees who are scheduled to telework may, if approved by their supervisor, perform these shutdown activities from their telework location provided an existing telework agreement is in place. Supervisors may at their discretion allow other employees to conduct shutdown activities from a remote location, even without an existing telework agreement; if the nature of the employee's shut down activities is de minimus (I.E. can be completed in approximately 15 minutes).

Non-furloughed employees will accrue pay for the time worked during shutdown operations but will not be paid until such time as Congress makes appropriated funds available to compensate them for their period of service.

We are uncertain of the duration of any furloughs that result from a gap in funding. The bulk of district employees will be placed on furlough. During the furlough, furloughed employees will be in a non-work, non-pay status. These employees will not be permitted to serve as unpaid volunteers in their workplace and must remain away from the workplace and refrain from working from remote locations (i.e., telework) unless and until recalled.

Recall:

During funding hiatus, furloughed employees should regularly check the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website (OPM.gov) or local media as to whether an appropriation or CRA has been signed. Furloughed employees should report to work the next business day following enactment of a CRA or an appropriation related to USACE or request leave. The District HQ will send an alert using the emergency notification system (IRIS) recalling employees once notification of an appropriation or CRA is received. Employees need to contact their supervisor and let them know that they received the message. Supervisors will follow up with employees that they do not hear from to ensure that they received the recall message.

We can both agree the Seqestration hype was mostly bullshit. I am not going to argue over different estimates by different organizations that don't really know a damn thing.

The reality of the impact of sequestration, versus the crap Obama said is not even close. It was a classic chicken little scenario. If there is a Government shut down, no one will die. The universe will not explode. Really...everything is gonna be okay. Relax people. :)

My office has been notified if there's a shutdown, we'll come in for 4 hours on Tuesday morning and shut down the place.

Essential operators, the hydroelectric plant guys and the navigation lock operators, will still be at work.

Excerpt from the email:
Orderly Shutdown:

If a gap in funding occurs, non-essential operations will be discontinued effective midnight 30 September 2013 Eastern Daylight Time. Employees will be expected to report to work on their next scheduled work day upon the lapse in appropriations to prepare for the suspension of operations (Tuesday morning, OCT 01 for most employees). Employees will report to their supervisor and receive a furlough notice letter. They will then conduct any actions required to conduct an orderly shutdown of their activities (secure equipment, properly secure documents, change phone messages, set up email "out of office" notifications, etc.). If leave in lieu of furlough is authorized, leave requests will have to be submitted/approved prior to receiving the furlough letter. It is expected that these activities should take less than four (4) hours. Employees will be released by their supervisor once these activities are complete.

Furloughed employees who are scheduled to telework may, if approved by their supervisor, perform these shutdown activities from their telework location provided an existing telework agreement is in place. Supervisors may at their discretion allow other employees to conduct shutdown activities from a remote location, even without an existing telework agreement; if the nature of the employee's shut down activities is de minimus (I.E. can be completed in approximately 15 minutes).

Non-furloughed employees will accrue pay for the time worked during shutdown operations but will not be paid until such time as Congress makes appropriated funds available to compensate them for their period of service.

We are uncertain of the duration of any furloughs that result from a gap in funding. The bulk of district employees will be placed on furlough. During the furlough, furloughed employees will be in a non-work, non-pay status. These employees will not be permitted to serve as unpaid volunteers in their workplace and must remain away from the workplace and refrain from working from remote locations (i.e., telework) unless and until recalled.

Recall:

During funding hiatus, furloughed employees should regularly check the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website (OPM.gov) or local media as to whether an appropriation or CRA has been signed. Furloughed employees should report to work the next business day following enactment of a CRA or an appropriation related to USACE or request leave. The District HQ will send an alert using the emergency notification system (IRIS) recalling employees once notification of an appropriation or CRA is received. Employees need to contact their supervisor and let them know that they received the message. Supervisors will follow up with employees that they do not hear from to ensure that they received the recall message.

Most Americans have been through the same thing in the private sector. I have more than once. Welcome to the real world. Yes, it sucks. You'll live.

We can both agree the Seqestration hype was mostly bullshit. I am not going to argue over different estimates by different organizations that don't really know a damn thing.

The reality of the impact of sequestration, versus the crap Obama said is not even close. It was a classic chicken little scenario. If there is a Government shut down, no one will die. The universe will not explode. Really...everything is gonna be okay. Relax people. :)

Yea it won't affect me so I'm not running around thumping the issue. But it's certainly not good.

And politicians will always find ways to exaggerate it both ways.

I could care less if 800K federal workers get sent packing, but the problem is armed forces. If you don't get paid then there will be a shitstorm.

The Reactionary Left's biggest fear regarding a Government Shutdown is that the majority of Americans will actually be happy about it.

Yea it won't affect me so I'm not running around thumping the issue. But it's certainly not good.

I think you are correct on all counts. For the record, I do not want a Government shutdown. I think it is a bad idea. Obama has staked his entire legacy on Obamacare. He will not give in.

The Republicans are pissed because it got rammed down their throats by a Dem super-majority that didn't give a damn what they thought. The Republicans are now acting out and playing this stupidly in my opinion. My guess is you agree.

And the Dems will not give in because they rammed it down America's throat even though the majority did not want it, and even less want it now. It is either back Obamacare to the hilt, or admit they really screwed up. That is not going to happen either.

So you have the President, Republicans, and Dems all locked into their respective positions. That is why we are in this situation imo.

Who cares if some government workers (who make twice the private sector average) lose a few day's pay? It'll give them an idea of what the real world is like.

18 shutdowns in the last 35 years and we're still here!

Does that tell you something?

Oh yeah, all you who voted for the Bumbler-in-Chief, remember he IS the chief executive of the United States and it's HIS job to ensure vital functions keep running as part of his oath of office. Nowhere in the constitution does it say he can blame his lack of leadership on anyone else!

I think you are correct on all counts. For the record, I do not want a Government shutdown. I think it is a bad idea. Obama has staked his entire legacy on Obamacare. He will not give in.

The Republicans are pissed because it got rammed down their throats by a Dem super-majority that didn't give a damn what they thought. The Republicans are now acting out and playing this stupidly in my opinion. My guess is you agree.

And the Dems will not give in because they rammed it down America's throat even though the majority did not want it, and even less want it now. It is either back Obamacare to the hilt, or admit they really screwed up. That is not going to happen either.

So you have the President, Republicans, and Dems all locked into their respective positions. That is why we are in this situation imo.

I think republicans will cave on this after a couple weeks of the shutdown. I wonder if they'll get any concessions for their trouble.

Republicans should also try to remember that eventually they'll have their turn with the law and they'll be able to mess with it however they want.

the worst problem is Republicans listening to the "Sky Is Falling" lying shit media....

1chris-mathews-tingle-620x350.jpg

Republicans would get further if they approached Obombacare piecemeal. Yeah, yeah I know. It was shoved down our throats in its entirety so the Rs are screaming they want to defund it in its entirety. It. Won't. Work. They really need to come up with something different. I've heard their mantra (defund, delay, repeal, replace). They truly suck at getting their message/ideas out to the public. Try going for a delay, try going after the taxes in it, try going after changing/improving something else in it with something better. Have they done this? Not that I can tell. Why not? Because big gov Rs like Obombacare, more gov't control is more gov't control. I don't trust any of them - either side- to have our backs.

And politicians will always find ways to exaggerate it both ways.[/quote]

So you have the President, Republicans, and Dems all locked into their respective positions. That is why we are in this situation imo.[/QUOTE]

I think republicans will cave on this after a couple weeks of the shutdown. I wonder if they'll get any concessions for their trouble.

Republicans should also try to remember that eventually they'll have their turn with the law and they'll be able to mess with it however they want.[/QUOTE]

Old School,

I have worked as a healthcare provider for many years. Obamacare is a disaster. Bring in a single-payor system before this monster. United healthcare, Cigna, Aetna, etc are not healthcare companies. They are risk management companies.

If you owned an auto insurance company, would you insure someone with 3 prior DUI's and with multiple crashes?

The same goes for healthcare. The sick and old cost more. Obama puts them in insurance pools with the rest of us...which means our rates will go way up. It doesn't seem very fair, does it? Either keep it in the private sector, or go to single payor where the government assumes all the risk. Then we get to fairly severe care rationing like they are doing in Canada and Europe, which is maybe where it should go.

Obamacare has been sold as a lie. At least tell people the truth. For the vast majority of Americans, your rates will go way up because the very sick, and the very old will be dumped in the same insurance pools with the rest of us.

$obamacare.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back