The Origins and Causes of the U.S. Civil War

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's what they went to war for, bub -- One in three southern families owned slaves.
It was the lifeblood of their economy.

It's WHY they fought. Why they died.

Why they seceded.

Nothing you say will change that.

Last edited:
us_1860_slvperc_040201_400_zps784c1a83.jpg

It's what they went to war for, bub -- One in three southern families owned slaves.

Why they seceded.

how about what Lincoln said:

On Aug. 22, 1862, President Lincoln wrote a letter to the New York Tribune that included the following passage: "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

Do you know how old and tired that quote by the Lost Causer gets -- trotted out when their backs are against the wall ?

It shows how stupid the South was to secede -- and fire on Union ships, and seize forts and arsenals, long before Lincoln ever set foot into office.

Do you know how old and tired that quote by the Lost Causer gets -- trotted out when their backs are against the wall ?

It shows how stupid the South was to secede -- and fire on Union ships, and seize forts and arsenals, long before Lincoln ever set foot into office.

the American Revolution looked just as stupid but thats not the point, liberalism is.

Why they seceded.

On Aug. 22, 1862, President Lincoln wrote a letter to the New York Tribune that included the following passage: "If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."
"I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."

And? So? Therefore?

Why they seceded.

"I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."

And? So? Therefore?

therefore all men should be free, in time.

the American Revolution looked just as stupid but thats not the point, liberalism is.
No, it really didn't. You missed her point entirely, as usual; it was stupid because Lincoln was no threat to their institution unless they did the very thing that they did. To indulge in quoting Euripides, "Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad." (As in crazy. In case that's lost on you too.)

No, it really didn't. You missed her point entirely, as usual; it was stupid because Lincoln was no threat to their institution unless they did the very thing that they did. To indulge in quoting Euripides, "Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad." (As in crazy. In case that's lost on you too.)

Lincoln was 100% a threat to their aristocratic lifestyle. He was 100% opposed to their power and the way it prevented the little guy from rising up. THey stole land from his father in the course of consolidating there ever growing plantations. That was where Lincoln's hatred of the slave power came from. IN many ways it was similar to todays liberals and their hatred or corporate America.

Do you uderstand now?

Lincoln was 100% a threat to their aristocratic lifestyle. He was 100% opposed to their power and the way it prevented the little guy from rising up. THey stole land from his father in the course of consolidating there ever growing plantations. That was where Lincoln's hatred of the slave power came from.
So you're disagreeing with yourself now? If you're anti-tyranny, you would think opposing an aristocratic social order is the correct thing to do. I'm glad you agree with me. :razz:

So you're disagreeing with yourself now? If you're anti-tyranny, you would think opposing an aristocratic social order is the correct thing to do. I'm glad you agree with me. :razz:

yes it is correct to oppose, obviously, but not with a war that kills 800,000 many of whom had been slaves.

Do you understand now?

yes it is correct to oppose, obviously, but not with a war that kills 800,000 many of whom had been slaves.

Do you understand now?
Wow. Your thinking is so fucked up. Overall. Geeze.

Most of the slaves did not die in the war. A good bulk of the 4 mill were at home taking care of their massa's. They were property to be taken care of like farm animals. Some served their massa in the war as servants, to be sure-- and some lost lives, as fodder. But they were protected as one would protect a prize Cadillac.

Some of course escaped to the Union lines to fight for their freedom, and about 5% in total to the whole were lost there, many to disease and infections, as were so many in that horrible war.

Don't you understand these people treated live, living, human beings as PROPERTY??

4 Million of them? When will that sink through to you?

The inability of the Articles Congress to enforce the terms of the treaty was grounds for a lot of foreign tension in the years immediately after the war.

do you have any idea what your subject is?? This is supposed to be about Civil War causes. Do you have any idea what caused the civil war?
Yes, I do know what my subject is. The point is to establish that the men who wrote the Constitution (George Washington chaired the Constitutional Convention the year after writing that) did not intend for the Union to be broken up. As you may or may not have noticed, the subject of the thread kind of got changed back on page 3.

and so is the subject as the title implies: causes of civil war? Do you know the causes?

You clearly don't even begin to know anything about it.

Do you understand now?
I understand that war is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The Slave Power had to go. If there was a side in the conflict representing tyranny, it was the South.

Lincoln was 100% a threat to their aristocratic lifestyle. He was 100% opposed to their power and the way it prevented the little guy from rising up. THey stole land from his father in the course of consolidating there ever growing plantations. That was where Lincoln's hatred of the slave power came from. IN many ways it was similar to todays liberals and their hatred or corporate America.

Do you uderstand now?

It's pretty obvious that you don't know any history at all, let alone knowing the causes of the Civil War. I think it's time we began your education in the hopes that you can be taught. We'll start with something easy, take notes because there will be a quiz later.
Pre-Civil War Virginia Showdowns Video C-SPAN.org

James, you never did answer the question.
If the Articles government was working so well, why was a convention called to alter it?
The answer to that question is instructive, but I'm curious to see your opinion.

Also, to address this:
One last thing...
Rogue9, You state that YOUR passport shows you as a U.S. citizen; this is because YOU submitted to the fictional jurisdiction established under UCC, I would not expect any ignorant such as you who has clearly shewn himself to have no understanding of his own U.S. CONstitution to understand how to obtain a passport wherein you are a flesh and blood American citizen. I have witnessed this having been accomplished by the Late Douglas McPherson, who had more intelligence in his little toe, than you have in your feeble brain.
Charming. Tell me, did George Washington also submit to "the fictional jurisdiction established under UCC," whatever UCC is supposed to mean in this context? From his Last Will and Testament:
George Washington said:
I, George Washington of Mount Vernon, a citizen of the United States and lately President of the same, do make, ordain and declare this instrument, which is written with my own hand and every page thereof subscribed with my name, to be my last Will and Testament, revoking all others.
That isn't exactly new language, sir.

I apologize for letting this get so out of hand; I was occupied all day and into the evening on Wednesday and I'm only just now catching up with the several pages of posts that appeared in the interval.
Rogue9,
I appologize for the delay, but some of us do actually work for a living. Also allow me first to ask you this question.....
Are you, or which one of you idiots is Woodrow Major????
As to your first question.....
"If the Articles government was working so well, why was a convention called to alter it?"
There was a split in the ideals of the Founders' one of which were the nationalists, these were those who quickly hijacked the title of federalists in order to con the people and gain favor and the upper hand, leaving the actual Federalists to be stuck with the label antifederalists.
I somehow doubt that you actually know the difference between the two systems.
These Nationalists wanted a nation of power, grandeur and splendor to rival that of King George's Great Britain.
The real federalists who were falsely labeled anti federalists were content with a simple Confederacy between the States to protect the liberty of the people.
Patrick HEnry explained it well on June 5th 1788.....
"Those Nations who have gone in search of power, grandeur and splendor, have all fallen a sacrifice, and been the victims of their own folly: While they acquired those visionary blessings, THEY LOST THEIR FREEDOM.
The Articles were working fine, it all depends on what goal you are trying to achieve, Liberty: or POWER, GRANDEUR, AND SPLENDOR ?
As we can clearly see with 20/20 hindsight, YOUR U.S. has become just what Patrick Henry warned...A nation of POWER Grandeur and Splendor, all at the sacrifice of our Liberty and Privacy. Edward Snowden recently exposed mush of this.
You no longer have a union of States, what you now have is a wholly national system run by a two party duopoly which is owned by the wealthy elite, and is built on hegemony, war and a debt that will never be paid, and will ultimately cause its collapse.
George Washington stated that he was a citizen of the U.S., NOT A U.S. Citizen.....Do you see the difference?????
I will copy and paste here the difference between a U.S. Citizen, and an American citizen.....
"There appears to be general misunderstanding by people in general as to the difference between a natural person and an artificial person. This document will explain that difference.

John Joseph Smith, is a natural, flesh and blood, person, created by God.

JOHN JOSEPH SMITH, is a U.S. corporate artificial person, U.S. citizen, created by the government.

In basic English grammar, a name spelled in upper and lower case, such as John Joseph Smith, is indicative of a flesh and blood man, a natural person.

Person.In general usage, a human being (i.e. natural person), though by statute term may include labor organizations, partnerships, associations, corporations, legal representatives, trustees, trustees in bankruptcy, or receivers. Black's Law Dictionary 6th Ed.

On the other hand, a name spelled in all caps, such as JOHN JOSEPH SMITH, is indicative of an artificial person.

Artificial persons. Persons created and devised by human laws for the purposes of society and government, as distinguished from natural persons.Corporations are examples of artificial persons. Black's 6th Ed.

U.S. v. Anthony 24 Fed. 829 (1873) "The term resident and citizen of the United States is distinguished from a Citizen of one of the several states, in that the former is a special class of citizen created by Congress."

The "United States" is defined in Title 28 USC Sec. 3002(15)(A) as a "Federal corporation".

It is also a municipal corporation.

Municipal.In narrower, more common, sense, it means pertaining to a local governmental unit, commonly, a city or town or other governmental unit. In its broader sense, it means pertaining to the public or governmental affairs of a state or nation or of a people.Black's Law Dictionary 6th Ed.

So the federal corporation United States, that pertains to the public affairs of a people, would be a municipal corporation.The federal government pertains to the affairs of its sovereign people.

Municipal corporation. A body corporate consisting of the inhabitants of a designated area created by the legislature with or without the consent of such inhabitants for governmental purposes . . .A municipal corporation has a dual character, the one public and the other private, and exercises corresponding twofold functions and duties -- one class consisting of those acts performed by it in the exercise of delegated sovereign powers for benefit of people generally, as arm of the state, enforcing general laws made in pursuance of general policy of the state, and the other consisting of acts done in exercise of power of the municipal corporation for its own benefit, or for the benefit of its citizens alone, or citizens of the municipal corporation and its immediate locality. Black's 6th Ed.

A municipal corporation is an artificial person, as shown above, and consists of the general inhabitants called citizens, and these artificial persons (citizens) were created by the legislature, not by God. A corporation can be a citizen itself, and that corporation can have its own citizens. A corporation also has it's own officers. When a corporation is dissolved, then the officers of that corporation no longer exist. A government has it's own citizens and employees. When that government is dissolved, then those citizens also cease to exist, since both officers and citizens of a corporation are both artificial persons.

Corporate citizen. Corporate status in the state of incorporation . . . Black's 6th Ed.

A municipal corporation in its broader sense, such as the United States, consists of the inhabitants (U.S. citizens) of a designated area (federal United States). And a corporation can through its legislative branch create artificial persons, who are termed citizens of the municipal corporation. Can an artificial person create a flesh and blood natural man? Can the creator create a being superior to itself? Or can an artificial person only create (make) another artificial person?

I claim that when the municipal corporation United States, creates a citizen through legislative act, that citizen is then a corporate U.S. citizen. That corporate citizen's name is spelled in all capital letters, to indicate that it is an artificial person, as distinguished from a natural person whose name is spelled in upper and lower case letters. That corporate citizen is subject to its creator, the U.S. government, and is subject to its exclusive jurisdiction.

Constitution of the United States of America
14th
Amendment. Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof,are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any States deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

A citizen of the United States is a corporate citizen, with corporate status, created by the corporation called United States, and is acting as their agent for the purpose of collecting revenue. This citizen has only privileges and immunities under the 14th Amendment. A natural person has inalienable rights, secured by the Constitution. A person with corporate status, would have corporate income.

COLLECTIVE ENTITY RULE

Brasswell v. United States 487 U.S. 99 (1988) This doctrine - known as the collective entity rule- has a lengthy and distinguished pedigree.

What is a "collective entity"? A collective entity is simply a corporate entity. Since the status of U.S. citizen can be created by naturalization let's see what naturalization is, and determine if a U.S. citizen is part of a collective entity.

Naturalization.The process by which a person acquires nationality after birth and becomes entitled to the privileges of U.S. citizenship. In the United States collective naturalization occurs when designated groups are made citizens by treaty (as Louisiana Purchase), or by a law of Congress (as in annexation of Texas and Hawaii). Black's 6th Ed.

Person.Scope and delineation of term necessary for determining to whom Fourteenth Amendment of Constitution affords protections since this Amendment expressly applies to "person".

Let's review the definition of artificial person.

Artificial persons. Persons created and devised by human laws for the purposes of society and government, as distinguished from natural persons. Corporations are examples of artificial persons. Black's 6th Ed.

The 14th Amendment applies to "persons", and person in legal parlance means an artificial person, in distinction from a natural person. "Collective" "naturalization occurs when designated groups" (inhabitants) "are made (created) citizens by a law of Congress". These artificial persons were "created and devised by human laws (14th Amendment U.S. citizen) for the (revenue) purposes of society and government", and have their names spelled in all capital letters. These designated groups are "made" or created corporate citizens/employees and are distinguished from natural persons.

A natural person, with his named spelled in upper and lower case letters, has inalienable rights, and is NOT a corporate U.S. citizen. An artificial person, and corporate citizen of the United States, has his name spelled in all capital letters. A natural person cannot be an artificial person at the same time.

The theme of the collective entity rule states:
Brasswell v. United States 487 U.S. 99 (1988) quoting, United States v. White 322 U.S. 694 (1944) But individuals, when acting as representatives of a collective group, cannot be said to be exercising their personal rights and duties, nor be entitled to their purely personal privileges. Rather they assume the rights, duties and privileges of the artificial entity or association of which they are agentsor officers and they are bound by its obligations.

Under the collective entity rule, if John Joseph Smith contracted to be a representative or agent of the corporate citizen JOHN JOSEPH SMITH, then he would not be able to exercise his inalienable rights, which are his personal rights. John Joseph Smith (American Citizen) is contracting to be the agent of JOHN JOSEPH SMITH (U.S. citizen), thereby waiving his inalienable rights.

After the birth of John Joseph Smith, a new artificial person was created (JOHN JOSEPH SMITH), by the 14th Amendment, under the collective entity rule, and was naturalized as a corporate citizen of the United States. This did not destroy the natural person, but simply created a second separate legal entity, a legal fiction, artificial person. This legal fiction was created as an agent (U.S. citizen) of the corporate U.S. government to engage in commerce and collect revenue for the governments, federal, state, and local. You contracted to represent this artificial perosn, thereby waiving your inalienable rights.

A sovereign flesh and blood person is an American Citizen.

A corporate U.S. citizen is an artificial person and is a government agent/employee.

WHICH ONE ARE YOU?"
There has been much work posted on this subject.

Last edited:
The Slave Power had been wielding the federal government like a club for nearly eighty years. .

yes and then the Republicans took over, the South did not want to submit, much like our founders did not want to submit, and the war started. Do you understand?
There wasn't anything to submit to. Lincoln's government hadn't even done anything, up to and including taken office!

Anyway, while I'm on the subject of Washington and his views on citizenship, I might as well go into it further. He had quite a bit to say about the nature of the Union, after all.

First, this letter to Reverend William Gordon.

It now rests with the Confederated Powers, by the line of conduct they mean to adopt, to make this Country great, happy, and respectable; or to sink it into littleness; worse perhaps, into Anarchy and Confusion; for certain I am, that unless adequate Powers are given to Congress for the general purposes of the Federal Union that we shall soon moulder into dust and become contemptable in the Eyes of Europe, if we are not made the sport of their Politicks; to suppose that the general concern of this Country can be directed by thirteen heads, or one head without competent powers, is a solecism, the bad effects of which every Man who has had the practical knowledge to judge from, that I have, is fully convinced of; tho' none perhaps has felt them in so forcible, and distressing a degree. The People at large, and at a distance from the theatre of Action, who only know that the Machine was kept in motion, and that they are at last arrived at the first object of their Wishes are satisfied with the event, without investigating the causes of the slow progress to it, or of the Expences which have accrued and which they now seem unwilling to pay; great part of which has arisen from that want of energy in the Federal Constitution which I am complaining of, and which I wish to see given to it by a Convention of the People, instead of hearing it remarked that as we have worked through an arduous Contest with the Powers Congress already have (but which, by the by, have been gradually diminishing) why should they be invested with more?

To say nothing of the invisible workings of Providence, which has conducted us through difficulties where no human foresight could point the way; it will appear evident to a close Examiner, that there has been a concatenation of causes to produce this Event; which in all probability at no time, or under any Circumstances, will combine again. We deceive ourselves therefore by this mode of reasoning, and what would be much worse, we may bring ruin upon ourselves by attempting to carry it into practice.

We are known by no other character among Nations than as the United States; Massachusetts or Virginia is no better defined, nor any more thought of by Foreign Powers than the County of Worcester in Massachusetts is by Virginia, or Glouster County in Virginia is by Massachusetts (respectable as they are); and yet these Counties, with as much propriety might oppose themselves to the Laws of the State in wch. they are, as an Individual State can oppose itself to the Federal Government, by which it is, or ought to be bound. Each of these Counties has, no doubt, its local polity and Interests. these should be attended to, and brought before their respective legislatures with all the force their importance merits; but when they come in contact with the general Interest of the State; when superior considerations preponderate in favor of the whole, their Voices should be heard no more; so should it be with individual States when compared to the Union. Otherwise I think it may properly be asked for what purpose do we farcically pretend to be United? Why do Congress spend Months together in deliberating upon, debating, and digesting plans, which are made as palatable, and as wholesome to the Constitution of this Country as the nature of things will admit of, when some States will pay no attention to them, and others regard them but partially; by which means all those evils which proceed from delay, are felt by the whole; while the compliant States are not only suffering by these neglects, but in many instances are injured most capitally by their own exertions; which are wasted for want of the United effort. A hundd. thousand men coming one after another cannot move a Ton weight; but the united strength of 50 would transport it with ease. so has it been with great part of the expence which has been incurred this War. In a Word, I think the blood and treasure which has been spent in it has been lavished to little purpose, unless we can be better Cemented; and that is not to be effected while so little attention is paid to the recommendations of the Sovereign Power.

To me it would seem not more absurd, to hear a traveller, who was setting out on a long journey, declare he would take no Money in his pocket to defray the Expences of it but rather depend upon chance and charity lest he should misapply it, than are the expressions of so much fear of the powers and means of Congress. For Heavens sake who are Congress? are they not the Creatures of the People, amenable to them for their Conduct, and dependant from day to day on their breath? Where then can be the danger of giving them such Powers as are adequate to the great ends of Government, and to all the general purposes of the Confederation (I repeat the word genl, because I am no advocate for their having to do with the particular policy of any State, further than it concerns the Union at large). What may be the consequences if they have not these Powers I am at no loss to guess; and deprecate the worst; for sure I am, we shall, in a little time, become as contemptable in the great Scale of Politicks as we now have it in our power to be respectable; and that, when the band of Union gets once broken, every thing ruinous to our future prospects is to be apprehended; the best that can come of it, in my humble opinion is, that we shall sink into obscurity, unless our Civil broils should keep us in remembrance and fill the page of history with the direful consequences of them.

I omit quote tags because at this point I suspect that certain people in the thread aren't actually opening them to read the contents. At any rate, he could hardly be more clear; the states have no more right to nullify or contravene the acts of the federal government than counties do to override their states (and in point of fact, state preemption of local laws on certain subjects has become very popular of late), and the federal government is, quote, "the Sovereign Power."

Or how about this 1787 letter to David Stuart, accompanying copies of the Federalist Papers and urging their distribution:

I have seen no publication yet that ought, in my judgment, to shake the proposed Constitution in the mind of an impartial and candid public. In fine, I have hardly seen one that is not addressed to the passions of the people, and obviously calculated to alarm their fears. Every attempt to amend the Constitution at this time is in my opinion idle and vain. If there are characters, who prefer disunion, or separate confederacies, to the general government, which is offered to them, their opposition may, for aught I know, proceed from principle; but as nothing, according to my conception of the matter, is more to be deprecated than a disunion of these distinct confederacies, as far as my voice can go it shall be offered in favor of the latter. That there are some writers, and others perhaps who may not have written, that wish to see this Union divided into several confederacies, is pretty evident. As an antidote to these opinions, and in order to investigate the ground of objections to the Constitution which is submitted, the Federalist, under the signature of PUBLIUS, is written. The numbers which have been published, I send you. If there is a printer in Richmond who is really well disposed to support the new Constitution, he would do well to give them a place in his paper. They are, I think I may venture to say, written by able men; and before they are finished will, or I am mistaken, place matters in a true point of light. Although I am acquainted with the writers, who have a hand in this work, I am not at liberty to mention names, nor would I have it known that they are sent by me to you for promulgation.

Again, pretty clear: The United States are exactly that.

Or how about this letter to John Jay in 1786:

Your sentiments, that our affairs are drawing rapidly to a crisis, accord with my own. What the event will be, is also beyond the reach of my foresight. We have errors to correct; we have probably had too good an opinion of human nature in forming our confederation. Experience has taught us, that men will not adopt and carry into execution measures the best calculated for their own good, without the intervention of a coercive power. I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged some where a power, which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner, as the authority of the State Governments extends over the several States.

To be fearful of investing Congress, constituted as that body is, with ample authorities for national purposes, appears to me the very climax of popular absurdity and madness. Could Congress exert them for the detriment of the public, without injuring themselves in an equal or greater proportion? Are not their interests inseparably connected with those of their constituents? By the rotation of appointment, must they not mingle frequently with the mass of Citizens? Is it not rather to be apprehended, if they were possessed of the powers before described, that the individual members would be induced to use them, on many occasions, very timidly and inefficaciously for fear of losing their popularity and future election? We must take human nature as we find it: perfection falls not to the share of mortals. Many are of opinion that Congress have too frequently made use of the suppliant humble tone of requisition, in applications to the States, when they had a right to assert their imperial dignity and command obedience. Be that as it may, requisitions are a perfect nihility where thirteen sovereign independent disunited States are in the habit of discussing and refusing compliance with them at their option. Requisitions are actually little better than a jest and a bye word throughout the land. If you tell the Legislatures they have violated the Treaty of Peace, and invaded the prerogatives of the confederacy, they will laugh in your face. What then is to be done? Things cannot go on in the same train forever. It is much to be feared, as you observe, that the better kind of people, being disgusted with the circumstances, will have their minds prepared for any revolution whatever. We are apt to run from one extreme into another. To anticipate and prevent disastrous contingencies, would be the part of wisdom and patriotism.

What astonishing changes a few years are capable of producing. I am told that even respectable characters speak of a monarchical form of Government without horror. From thinking proceeds speaking, thence to acting is often but a single step. But how irrevocable and tremendous! what a triumph for our enemies to verify their predictions! what a triumph for the advocates of despotism to find that we are incapable of governing ourselves, and that systems founded on the basis of equal liberty are merely ideal and fallacious! Would to God that wise measures may be taken in time to avert the consequences we have but too much reason to apprehend.

The "Treaty of Peace" he referred to is the 1783 Treaty of Paris which ended the Revolutionary War; though the terms of the treaty forbid retaliation against British loyalists and demand honoring of debts on both sides, several states, notably Virginia, confiscated property from them as a matter of course and passed laws forbidding the payment of British debts. The inability of the Articles Congress to enforce the terms of the treaty was grounds for a lot of foreign tension in the years immediately after the war.
The Slave Power had been wielding the federal government like a club for nearly eighty years. .

yes and then the Republicans took over, the South did not want to submit, much like our founders did not want to submit, and the war started. Do you understand?
There wasn't anything to submit to. Lincoln's government hadn't even done anything, up to and including taken office!

Anyway, while I'm on the subject of Washington and his views on citizenship, I might as well go into it further. He had quite a bit to say about the nature of the Union, after all.

First, this letter to Reverend William Gordon.

It now rests with the Confederated Powers, by the line of conduct they mean to adopt, to make this Country great, happy, and respectable; or to sink it into littleness; worse perhaps, into Anarchy and Confusion; for certain I am, that unless adequate Powers are given to Congress for the general purposes of the Federal Union that we shall soon moulder into dust and become contemptable in the Eyes of Europe, if we are not made the sport of their Politicks; to suppose that the general concern of this Country can be directed by thirteen heads, or one head without competent powers, is a solecism, the bad effects of which every Man who has had the practical knowledge to judge from, that I have, is fully convinced of; tho' none perhaps has felt them in so forcible, and distressing a degree. The People at large, and at a distance from the theatre of Action, who only know that the Machine was kept in motion, and that they are at last arrived at the first object of their Wishes are satisfied with the event, without investigating the causes of the slow progress to it, or of the Expences which have accrued and which they now seem unwilling to pay; great part of which has arisen from that want of energy in the Federal Constitution which I am complaining of, and which I wish to see given to it by a Convention of the People, instead of hearing it remarked that as we have worked through an arduous Contest with the Powers Congress already have (but which, by the by, have been gradually diminishing) why should they be invested with more?

To say nothing of the invisible workings of Providence, which has conducted us through difficulties where no human foresight could point the way; it will appear evident to a close Examiner, that there has been a concatenation of causes to produce this Event; which in all probability at no time, or under any Circumstances, will combine again. We deceive ourselves therefore by this mode of reasoning, and what would be much worse, we may bring ruin upon ourselves by attempting to carry it into practice.

We are known by no other character among Nations than as the United States; Massachusetts or Virginia is no better defined, nor any more thought of by Foreign Powers than the County of Worcester in Massachusetts is by Virginia, or Glouster County in Virginia is by Massachusetts (respectable as they are); and yet these Counties, with as much propriety might oppose themselves to the Laws of the State in wch. they are, as an Individual State can oppose itself to the Federal Government, by which it is, or ought to be bound. Each of these Counties has, no doubt, its local polity and Interests. these should be attended to, and brought before their respective legislatures with all the force their importance merits; but when they come in contact with the general Interest of the State; when superior considerations preponderate in favor of the whole, their Voices should be heard no more; so should it be with individual States when compared to the Union. Otherwise I think it may properly be asked for what purpose do we farcically pretend to be United? Why do Congress spend Months together in deliberating upon, debating, and digesting plans, which are made as palatable, and as wholesome to the Constitution of this Country as the nature of things will admit of, when some States will pay no attention to them, and others regard them but partially; by which means all those evils which proceed from delay, are felt by the whole; while the compliant States are not only suffering by these neglects, but in many instances are injured most capitally by their own exertions; which are wasted for want of the United effort. A hundd. thousand men coming one after another cannot move a Ton weight; but the united strength of 50 would transport it with ease. so has it been with great part of the expence which has been incurred this War. In a Word, I think the blood and treasure which has been spent in it has been lavished to little purpose, unless we can be better Cemented; and that is not to be effected while so little attention is paid to the recommendations of the Sovereign Power.

To me it would seem not more absurd, to hear a traveller, who was setting out on a long journey, declare he would take no Money in his pocket to defray the Expences of it but rather depend upon chance and charity lest he should misapply it, than are the expressions of so much fear of the powers and means of Congress. For Heavens sake who are Congress? are they not the Creatures of the People, amenable to them for their Conduct, and dependant from day to day on their breath? Where then can be the danger of giving them such Powers as are adequate to the great ends of Government, and to all the general purposes of the Confederation (I repeat the word genl, because I am no advocate for their having to do with the particular policy of any State, further than it concerns the Union at large). What may be the consequences if they have not these Powers I am at no loss to guess; and deprecate the worst; for sure I am, we shall, in a little time, become as contemptable in the great Scale of Politicks as we now have it in our power to be respectable; and that, when the band of Union gets once broken, every thing ruinous to our future prospects is to be apprehended; the best that can come of it, in my humble opinion is, that we shall sink into obscurity, unless our Civil broils should keep us in remembrance and fill the page of history with the direful consequences of them.

I omit quote tags because at this point I suspect that certain people in the thread aren't actually opening them to read the contents. At any rate, he could hardly be more clear; the states have no more right to nullify or contravene the acts of the federal government than counties do to override their states (and in point of fact, state preemption of local laws on certain subjects has become very popular of late), and the federal government is, quote, "the Sovereign Power."

Or how about this 1787 letter to David Stuart, accompanying copies of the Federalist Papers and urging their distribution:

I have seen no publication yet that ought, in my judgment, to shake the proposed Constitution in the mind of an impartial and candid public. In fine, I have hardly seen one that is not addressed to the passions of the people, and obviously calculated to alarm their fears. Every attempt to amend the Constitution at this time is in my opinion idle and vain. If there are characters, who prefer disunion, or separate confederacies, to the general government, which is offered to them, their opposition may, for aught I know, proceed from principle; but as nothing, according to my conception of the matter, is more to be deprecated than a disunion of these distinct confederacies, as far as my voice can go it shall be offered in favor of the latter. That there are some writers, and others perhaps who may not have written, that wish to see this Union divided into several confederacies, is pretty evident. As an antidote to these opinions, and in order to investigate the ground of objections to the Constitution which is submitted, the Federalist, under the signature of PUBLIUS, is written. The numbers which have been published, I send you. If there is a printer in Richmond who is really well disposed to support the new Constitution, he would do well to give them a place in his paper. They are, I think I may venture to say, written by able men; and before they are finished will, or I am mistaken, place matters in a true point of light. Although I am acquainted with the writers, who have a hand in this work, I am not at liberty to mention names, nor would I have it known that they are sent by me to you for promulgation.

Again, pretty clear: The United States are exactly that.

Or how about this letter to John Jay in 1786:

Your sentiments, that our affairs are drawing rapidly to a crisis, accord with my own. What the event will be, is also beyond the reach of my foresight. We have errors to correct; we have probably had too good an opinion of human nature in forming our confederation. Experience has taught us, that men will not adopt and carry into execution measures the best calculated for their own good, without the intervention of a coercive power. I do not conceive we can exist long as a nation without having lodged some where a power, which will pervade the whole Union in as energetic a manner, as the authority of the State Governments extends over the several States.

To be fearful of investing Congress, constituted as that body is, with ample authorities for national purposes, appears to me the very climax of popular absurdity and madness. Could Congress exert them for the detriment of the public, without injuring themselves in an equal or greater proportion? Are not their interests inseparably connected with those of their constituents? By the rotation of appointment, must they not mingle frequently with the mass of Citizens? Is it not rather to be apprehended, if they were possessed of the powers before described, that the individual members would be induced to use them, on many occasions, very timidly and inefficaciously for fear of losing their popularity and future election? We must take human nature as we find it: perfection falls not to the share of mortals. Many are of opinion that Congress have too frequently made use of the suppliant humble tone of requisition, in applications to the States, when they had a right to assert their imperial dignity and command obedience. Be that as it may, requisitions are a perfect nihility where thirteen sovereign independent disunited States are in the habit of discussing and refusing compliance with them at their option. Requisitions are actually little better than a jest and a bye word throughout the land. If you tell the Legislatures they have violated the Treaty of Peace, and invaded the prerogatives of the confederacy, they will laugh in your face. What then is to be done? Things cannot go on in the same train forever. It is much to be feared, as you observe, that the better kind of people, being disgusted with the circumstances, will have their minds prepared for any revolution whatever. We are apt to run from one extreme into another. To anticipate and prevent disastrous contingencies, would be the part of wisdom and patriotism.

What astonishing changes a few years are capable of producing. I am told that even respectable characters speak of a monarchical form of Government without horror. From thinking proceeds speaking, thence to acting is often but a single step. But how irrevocable and tremendous! what a triumph for our enemies to verify their predictions! what a triumph for the advocates of despotism to find that we are incapable of governing ourselves, and that systems founded on the basis of equal liberty are merely ideal and fallacious! Would to God that wise measures may be taken in time to avert the consequences we have but too much reason to apprehend.

The "Treaty of Peace" he referred to is the 1783 Treaty of Paris which ended the Revolutionary War; though the terms of the treaty forbid retaliation against British loyalists and demand honoring of debts on both sides, several states, notably Virginia, confiscated property from them as a matter of course and passed laws forbidding the payment of British debts. The inability of the Articles Congress to enforce the terms of the treaty was grounds for a lot of foreign tension in the years immediately after the war.
Thus was the concern of the Nationalists such as George Washington .....
" unless adequate Powers are given to Congress for the general purposes of the Federal Union that we shall soon moulder into dust and become contemptable in the Eyes of Europe, if we are not made the sport of their Politicks;"
Oh and do I look FAT in this dress dear?
His Concern was what Europe may think, rather than the protection of Liberty.
Here is a letter from Alexander Hamilton to George Washington, and here we must remember that Hamilton advocated a Monarchy for the States.....
July 3 1787………
“Dear Sir,
In my passage through the Jerseys, and since my arrival here, I have taken particular pains to discover the public sentiment; and I am more and more convinced that this is the critical opportunity for establishing the prosperity of this country on a solid foundation”

Now let us remember that Alexander Hamilton, on June 17 1787 proclaimed the British government…….

“The best in the world“

…..Continuing on Mr. Hamilton’s letter to Mr. Washington July 3 1787……….

“The people begin to be convinced that “their excellent form of Government,” as they have been used to call it, will not answer their purpose, and that they must substitute something not very remote from that which they have lately quitted.

These appearances, though they will not warrant a conclusion that the people are yet ripe for such a plan as I advocate, yet serve to prove that there is no reason to despair of their adopting one equally energetic, if the Convention should think proper to propose it”

What had they “lately quitted”? A Monarchy, a strong National government.
What plan did Hamilton advocate? answer... A Monarchy.

On the one hand, we have those founders who shared Mr. Hamilton’s view abandoning the Confederacy in favor of a National government…………

Not very remote from that which they have lately quitted

Rogue9 No ones opinion is relevant to what the actual Constitution States, as none of these men, any more than you or I were the final arbiter, that actually rested with the States, because ultimately Article XIII of The Articles of Confederation had to be followed as it was THE LAW....
" nor shall any alteration at any time hereafter be made in any of them; unless such alteration be agreed to in a Congress of the United States, and be afterwards confirmed by the legislatures of every State."

The inability of the Articles Congress to enforce the terms of the treaty was grounds for a lot of foreign tension in the years immediately after the war.

do you have any idea what your subject is?? This is supposed to be about Civil War causes. Do you have any idea what caused the civil war?
Yes, I do know what my subject is. The point is to establish that the men who wrote the Constitution (George Washington chaired the Constitutional Convention the year after writing that) did not intend for the Union to be broken up. As you may or may not have noticed, the subject of the thread kind of got changed back on page 3.
What Washington may have intended, differs from what the States had enumerated in the Constitution before they would ratify it, that being the tenth amendment and the protection of their SOVEREIGN POWERS, one of which was to exit the union if they no longer felt it served their best interest.

Here is a big WHAT IF: What if The Union had let the south secede from the Union? How many lives would that have spared? And, slavery would have ended in 20 or 30 years because morally it was wrong, but because of other causes, cheap labor and machines do it better. I could live with the Confederation of the south.
You could live if you were one of the four million slaves living in the total population of the 9 million south? Nearly half the population?

For how long?

Some states were majority slave population. It wasn't dying out.

The entire black race -- including free blacks -- were not even citizens when the Civil War started, and you "could live with that?"
Oh paperview hop down of your moral stump!
You seem to be one who was appalled by slavery, yet seem fine with YOUR U.S. Governments extermination of the Native American Indian.

Here is a big WHAT IF: What if The Union had let the south secede from the Union? How many lives would that have spared? And, slavery would have ended in 20 or 30 years because morally it was wrong, but because of other causes, cheap labor and machines do it better. I could live with the Confederation of the south.

probably about 800,000 lives would have been spared at a time when population was only 30 million as I recall. Not to mention blacks would have been better off too when you consider how many died from disease and starvation after war and how war hardened attitudes against them.
Yeah, fuck the 4 million who were property - treated as property to be bought as sold as farm animals, eh?

Put on auction blocks and sold and had their families torn apart, raped by their slavemasters, who the fuck cared for them anyhow, eh?
Again paperview "fuck" the Native American Indian, rape exterminate (KILL THEM ALL) right? Again hop down of your moral stump, YOU DONT BELONG THERE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back