The Origins and Causes of the U.S. Civil War

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inability of the Articles Congress to enforce the terms of the treaty was grounds for a lot of foreign tension in the years immediately after the war.

do you have any idea what your subject is?? This is supposed to be about Civil War causes. Do you have any idea what caused the civil war?
Yes, I do know what my subject is. The point is to establish that the men who wrote the Constitution (George Washington chaired the Constitutional Convention the year after writing that) did not intend for the Union to be broken up. As you may or may not have noticed, the subject of the thread kind of got changed back on page 3.

and so is the subject as the title implies: causes of civil war? Do you know the causes?

The inability of the Articles Congress to enforce the terms of the treaty was grounds for a lot of foreign tension in the years immediately after the war.

do you have any idea what your subject is?? This is supposed to be about Civil War causes. Do you have any idea what caused the civil war?
Yes, I do know what my subject is. The point is to establish that the men who wrote the Constitution (George Washington chaired the Constitutional Convention the year after writing that) did not intend for the Union to be broken up. As you may or may not have noticed, the subject of the thread kind of got changed back on page 3.

and so is the subject as the title implies: causes of civil war? Do you know the causes?
Yes. Read the OP, I assure you it's quite thorough, though not as thorough as it could be because I ran into the character limit in the place it was originally posted.

Here is a big WHAT IF: What if The Union had let the south secede from the Union? How many lives would that have spared? And, slavery would have ended in 20 or 30 years because morally it was wrong, but because of other causes, cheap labor and machines do it better. I could live with the Confederation of the south.

Yes. Read the OP, I assure you it's quite thorough, though not as thorough as it could be because I ran into the character limit in the place it was originally posted.
as long as you agree the Civil War was standard clash between freedom and big liberal govt.

Here is a big WHAT IF: What if The Union had let the south secede from the Union? How many lives would that have spared? And, slavery would have ended in 20 or 30 years because morally it was wrong, but because of other causes, cheap labor and machines do it better. I could live with the Confederation of the south.

probably about 800,000 lives would have been spared at a time when population was only 30 million as I recall. Not to mention blacks would have been better off too when you consider how many died from disease and starvation after war and how war hardened attitudes against them.

You could live if you were one of the four million slaves living in the total population of the 9 million south? Nearly half the population?

For how long?

Some states were majority slave population. It wasn't dying out.

The entire black race -- including free blacks -- were not even citizens when the Civil War started, and you "could live with that?"

You could live if you were one of the four million slaves living in the total population of the 9 million south? Nearly half the population?

For how long?

The entire black race -- including free blacks -- were not even citizens when the Civil War started, and you "could live with that?"

slavery died out almost everywhere on earth . It would have died out here too without 800,000 being killed and 100 years of Jim Crow

*AHEM*

Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time.

You were saying?

probably about 800,000 lives would have been spared at a time when population was only 30 million as I recall. Not to mention blacks would have been better off too when you consider how many died from disease and starvation after war and how war hardened attitudes against them.
Yeah, fuck the 4 million who were property - treated as property to be bought as sold as farm animals, eh?

Put on auction blocks and sold and had their families torn apart, raped by their slavemasters, who the fuck cared for them anyhow, eh?

*AHEM*

Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time.

You were saying?
that slavery died out everywhere on earth with Lincoln's liberal interference.

*AHEM*

You were saying?
But not here. The South wouldn't let it go without fighting to the bloody death to preserve her precious institution of human bondage.

*AHEM*

You were saying?
But not here. The South wouldn't let it go without fighting to the bloody death to preserve her precious institution of human bondage.

idiotic speculation which is why you didn't suppoprt it nor explain how 800,000 dead helped the matter.

as long as you agree the Civil War was standard clash between freedom and big liberal govt.
Yes, but you have your positions reversed.

For how long?

slavery died out almost everywhere on earth . It would have died out here too without 800,000 being killed and 100 years of Jim Crow
*AHEM*

Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition.

That doesn't sound to me like the words of a man who intended for slavery to die out.

That doesn't sound to me like the words of a man who intended for slavery to die out.

especially when backed into a corner at which point mankind will dig in and fight harder than ever. Don't forget, most who fought had nothing to do with slavery, they fought for freedom just like our Founders

Yes, but you have your positions reversed.

For how long?

*AHEM*

Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition.

especially when backed into a corner at which point mankind will dig in and fight harder than ever. Don't forget, most who fought had nothing to do with slavery, they fought for freedom just like our Founders
Fought for freedom to keep men in bondage.

Hip hip HURRAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back