🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Politics of Affirmative Action: SCOTUS To Decide Today on Race Consideratons

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Supreme Court is set to decide on the matter of whether Schools and Universities should be allowed to consider race in their admissions process, today. My hunch is that it will be a 5-4 decision in prohibition. It explicitly violates the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause.

Last edited:
yeah, so how is it a university can grant admissions on whether your parents went there as a consideration, but not race?

I will explain in more detail. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prevents discrimination based on race, sex, age and et cetera, that's one reason. The other is, that if you are considering race in your admissions process, you are violating the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause. Each student should be considered equally for admission into the institution.

yeah, so how is it a university can grant admissions on whether your parents went there as a consideration, but not race?

What are you talking about? You wouldn't be objecting if it were a black person bringing up this case. This has to do with a referendum by Michigan voters in 2006 doing away with affirmative action.

Last edited:

What are you talking about? You wouldn't be objecting if it were a black person bringing up this case. Ironically enough, it is a white woman.

No irony at all. White Women were the primary beneficiaries of affirmative action. And it was so successful for them that after a certain point, they probably didn't need it anymore.

What are you talking about? You wouldn't be objecting if it were a black person bringing up this case. Ironically enough, it is a white woman.

No irony at all. White Women were the primary beneficiaries of affirmative action. And it was so successful for them that after a certain point, they probably didn't need it anymore.

That's a lie. Just how can you substantiate that?

A simple search on google would provide a lot on that.

Sally Kohn: Affirmative Action Helps White Women More Than Others | TIME.com

The distinction here is "White Women." That is an opinion piece. Not white people in general. However, why does it matter who it helps more? Are you upset it's benefiting white people more than blacks? Looks as if to me affirmative action has backfired.

Last edited:
I have said this 1000 times - Affirmative action is unconstitutional and illegal discrimination.
To put one child in school because they are of a certain race is against every principle this country stands on. It is wrong no matter the reason.
Merit based acceptance is the ONLY fair way. (And this includes whether their parents are alumni)

The distinction here is "White Women." That is an opinion piece. Not white people in general. However, why does it matter who it helps more? Are you upset it's benefiting white people more than blacks? Looks as if to me affirmative action has backfired.

I'm not really upset at all. Affirmative action is doing EXACTLY what it is intended to do- giving women and minorities a chance at consideration.

The thing is, even if people aren't racist, they tend to empathize more with people who are like themselves. The proverbial "old boy" network.

And when most of the hiring is done by white males, they are inclined to hire other white males.

Article I Section 26 Michigan's Constitution:

The University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, and any other public college or university, community college, or school district shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.

I have said this 1000 times - Affirmative action is unconstitutional and illegal discrimination.
To put one child in school because they are of a certain race is against every principle this country stands on. It is wrong no matter the reason.
Merit based acceptance is the ONLY fair way. (And this includes whether their parents are alumni)

Hmmmm...

Yeah. the principles this country was founded on was a bunch of rich white guys not wanting to pay their taxes and being able to keep their slaves.

I'd have no problem with "merit" selection as long as they can actually prove merit.

I'm not really upset at all. Affirmative action is doing EXACTLY what it is intended to do- giving women and minorities a chance at consideration.

STOP

So then why were you claiming that it helps white people more?

Last edited:

The thing is, even if people aren't racist, they tend to empathize more with people who are like themselves. The proverbial "old boy" network.

And when most of the hiring is done by white males, they are inclined to hire other white males.

The rest of this is complete and utter bullshit. Your argument is toast.

And, here's a case in precedent that may influence the Supreme Court in their decision:

Regents of Univ. of California v. Bakke - 438 U.S. 265 (1978)

In 1978, the landmark Regents of California v. Allan Bakke made racial quotas unconstitutional. Bakke, a white student, sued after being denied admission to medical school twice, challenging the special admissions used to admit minority groups.

Last edited:

STOP

WHITE WOMEN!!!!

Jesus, to I have to spell it out for you?

Oh, gee, BiPolar Boy, is this the part where you declare victory because you don't have a counter-argument?

Because that shit never gets old.

STOP

WHITE WOMEN!!!!

Jesus, to I have to spell it out for you?

The question still stands. You're reaching. First it's race in general, then it's white women or minorities. Don't. Just don't.

Oh, gee, BiPolar Boy, is this the part where you declare victory because you don't have a counter-argument?

Because that shit never gets old.

My OP and supporting posts are my argument. I don't need one, you do. I provided a legal and constitutional basis for my argument. Where's yours? Your shit is always old, and it smells to high heavens.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back