The Pope Resigns. The Fall of Rome.

Peter Dow

Freedom lover & fighter
Mar 3, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
BBC: Pope Benedict XVI in shock resignation

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month after nearly eight years as the head of the Catholic Church, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

The unexpected development - the first papal resignation in nearly 600 years - surprised governments, Vatican-watchers and even his closest aides.

The Vatican says it expects a new Pope to be elected before Easter.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope in 2005 after John Paul II's death.

With the Fall of Rome, now is the time for a new saviour for a new age.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0PD8PmvXs]The Fall of Rome: Our saviour Condoleezza Rice vs. The Pope - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
BBC: Pope Benedict XVI in shock resignation

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month after nearly eight years as the head of the Catholic Church, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

The unexpected development - the first papal resignation in nearly 600 years - surprised governments, Vatican-watchers and even his closest aides.

The Vatican says it expects a new Pope to be elected before Easter.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope in 2005 after John Paul II's death.

With the Fall of Rome, now is the time for a new saviour for a new age.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0PD8PmvXs]The Fall of Rome: Our saviour Condoleezza Rice vs. The Pope - YouTube[/ame]

This is an interesting kettle of fish.....right when the courts have decided that all documents from the Los Angeles Diocese have to be released with NO NAMES redacted. Hmmmmm.

I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised that this pope is stepping down. He was the wrong man for the job, and now, he admits that he is no longer up to it. That is almost unprecedented. The conservatives in the church have been in charge for way too long. Maybe there is a chance that a liberal will be elected. i doubt it, but anything is possible. Most likely, another Italian will be the next pope. I have finally come to understand that, in spite of appearances, church dogma trumps the pope....which explains why it reamins hundreds of years behind the rest of the world.

I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised that this pope is stepping down. He was the wrong man for the job, and now, he admits that he is no longer up to it. That is almost unprecedented. The conservatives in the church have been in charge for way too long. Maybe there is a chance that a liberal will be elected. i doubt it, but anything is possible. Most likely, another Italian will be the next pope. I have finally come to understand that, in spite of appearances, church dogma trumps the pope....which explains why it reamins hundreds of years behind the rest of the world.

Which also explains why the Church does not seek your counsel when seeking popes or making decisions.

"no offense"

Last edited:

Which also explains why the Church does not seek your counsel when seeking popes or making decisions.

"no offense"

Which is good, indeed, for the church, because my advice would be for them to dissolve the entire institution and start over again.

I don't understand why they elect the ones that are so advanced in age like they do...I mean, come on, with old age comes certain health issues and ailments.
Towards the end of John Paul II life, I swear he was doped up on all sorts of meds. My heart went out to that poor man every time I saw him in his final few years.
IMO he was the kindest and most gentle hearted soul that ever lived...may he RIP.

As far as Pope Benedict XVI goes, I am glad he's stepping down...I have a feeling he knows he's doing the right thing due to seeing what his predecessor had endured...who knows what those who are corrupt in the Church may subject him too if he were to have stayed Pope.

I don't understand why they elect the ones that are so advanced in age like they do...I mean, come on, with old age comes certain health issues and ailments.
Towards the end of John Paul II life, I swear he was doped up on all sorts of meds. My heart went out to that poor man every time I saw him in his final few years.
IMO he was the kindest and most gentle hearted soul that ever lived...may he RIP.

As far as Pope Benedict XVI goes, I am glad he's stepping down...I have a feeling he knows he's doing the right thing due to seeing what his predecessor had endured...who knows what those who are corrupt in the Church may subject him too if he were to have stayed Pope.

There are the conservatives, and the liberals in the church hierchy. Whenever one side does not have a clear majority, they tend to compromise by electing someone who is old. That way, the minority will not have to wait too long for a chance for a turn about in policy, and the majority will still get someone who supports their beliefs, although for a short time. If I recall, John Paul was considered a progressive when he was elected, relatively young, but the liberals soon learned that he was not nearly as progressive as they though he would be.

Last edited:

They don't want 25 year Pontiffs like he was.

Rumors abound that he was asked to step down because of some scandal waiting in the wings to break.

Not a clue if there's any truth to the rumor, of course.

It's hard to imagine a more ignorant, presumptuous post on the subject.

Rumors abound that he was asked to step down because of some scandal waiting in the wings to break.

Not a clue if there's any truth to the rumor, of course.

YOu mean a worse scandal then helping to cover up the systematic sexual abuse of children, which this Pope was involved in?

I think it's more likely that he was too infirm to handle the job, and didn't want a situation like the end of JP2's reign where all these Cardinals had their own agendas.

Thankfully the Catholic Church is dying out, and some day, the Pope will just be a tourist attraction like he House of Windsor.

Forum List

Back