The Post-Election Fallout Is Going to Be Brutal for the Party That Loses the White House Race

The bigger question is...What will happen to Trump?

He will be soundly defeated. For most defeated candidates they disappear from the public eye. Think Mondale, Dukakis, Dole

But Trump can never stand for that. Will he come back in 2020? 2024? thinking he can recapture the magic?

Will he break off into a third party?
Television.
Fox News?

The GOP will never recover unless it rids itself of its racist moron base .. thus losing half of its constituency.

Will they do that .. who knows .. but if it doesn't, it will be reduced and diminished as a major party.

The GOP will never recover unless it rids itself of its racist moron base .. thus losing half of its constituency.

Will they do that .. who knows .. but if it doesn't, it will be reduced and diminished as a major party.
The most conservative county in the US elected Mia Love.
She is behind Owens.
Did he go on a mission like that worthless dad of his
His dad was a good man, as was Gunn McKay, Ron Inkley and some of the other congressional winners and losers in the seventies. You judge by political party, ty, and as Hugh B. Brown would have said of you, "He thinks politics is religion. It is not."
Say what??? Owens wanted Nixon impeached on his Vietnam policies when Nixon was trying to get us out. You forget owens was trouced by Garn. So trying to say my disgust of owens was influenced by religion is bogus Ya I voted for a democrat once, you know what his name was? ....Allen Howe Learned my lesson
Allen Howe? You idiot.

No excuse will be acceptable if the GOP loses the WH: none. We had conservatives, real conservatives, that would have wiped out Clinton. Now we got Comrade Trump, who is likely to lose by historic proportions. And he should if he can't clean up his act. There is no plot to rig the elections, unless the only plot is to report the new inanity Comrade Donald seemingly performs each day.

The Post-Election Fallout Is Going to Be Brutal for the Losing Party in November

In the case of Trump, the nominee’s obnoxious personal attributes will be compounded if he loses by the ideological motives various Republicans have for burying his candidacy and salting the earth around it. “Real conservatives” will have another “I told you so” example of how a departure from the One True Path leads down the primrose path to defeat. Establishment Republicans will try to get the GOP to return to the prescriptions they offered in the post-2012 autopsy report, with its downplaying of cultural issues and its emphasis on friendliness toward Latinos. And the Reformicons, who actually think Trump was striking an essential chord on both immigration and middle-class economics, will be especially exercised in fighting to protect those goals while putting the blame on Trump personally. If Republicans not only lose the White House again but suffer serious down-ballot losses, the battle will be extra loud andfrantic.

A Hillary Clinton loss would affect Democrats a bit differently, insofar as she was the candidate of the Democratic Establishment from the get-go. But Democrats who look at the demographics of Bernie Sanders’s primary voters and see the future, and also credit those polls showing Bernie doing better than Hillary against Trump, will have an ostensibly open-and-shut case that the Donkey Party needs to bury the entire Clinton era of baby-boomer centrism and move left. All that’s missing for this argument is an obvious post-Bernie leader of the progressive Democratic cause (Elizabeth Warren will be 71 in 2020). Meanwhile, centrist Democrats may well argue that a more left-leaning candidate would have done worse than Clinton; they, too, will have a post-Clinton, post-Obama leadership crisis unlessFLOTUS picks up the banner. And if Clinton loses and her party doesn’t make down-ballot gains, there may be legitimate fears of long-term minority status for Democrats (though a Trump presidency could be just what the doctor ordered).
You think, if Hillary loses, lying will become a sin again?

No excuse will be acceptable if the GOP loses the WH: none. We had conservatives, real conservatives, that would have wiped out Clinton. Now we got Comrade Trump, who is likely to lose by historic proportions. And he should if he can't clean up his act. There is no plot to rig the elections, unless the only plot is to report the new inanity Comrade Donald seemingly performs each day.

The Post-Election Fallout Is Going to Be Brutal for the Losing Party in November

In the case of Trump, the nominee’s obnoxious personal attributes will be compounded if he loses by the ideological motives various Republicans have for burying his candidacy and salting the earth around it. “Real conservatives” will have another “I told you so” example of how a departure from the One True Path leads down the primrose path to defeat. Establishment Republicans will try to get the GOP to return to the prescriptions they offered in the post-2012 autopsy report, with its downplaying of cultural issues and its emphasis on friendliness toward Latinos. And the Reformicons, who actually think Trump was striking an essential chord on both immigration and middle-class economics, will be especially exercised in fighting to protect those goals while putting the blame on Trump personally. If Republicans not only lose the White House again but suffer serious down-ballot losses, the battle will be extra loud andfrantic.

A Hillary Clinton loss would affect Democrats a bit differently, insofar as she was the candidate of the Democratic Establishment from the get-go. But Democrats who look at the demographics of Bernie Sanders’s primary voters and see the future, and also credit those polls showing Bernie doing better than Hillary against Trump, will have an ostensibly open-and-shut case that the Donkey Party needs to bury the entire Clinton era of baby-boomer centrism and move left. All that’s missing for this argument is an obvious post-Bernie leader of the progressive Democratic cause (Elizabeth Warren will be 71 in 2020). Meanwhile, centrist Democrats may well argue that a more left-leaning candidate would have done worse than Clinton; they, too, will have a post-Clinton, post-Obama leadership crisis unlessFLOTUS picks up the banner. And if Clinton loses and her party doesn’t make down-ballot gains, there may be legitimate fears of long-term minority status for Democrats (though a Trump presidency could be just what the doctor ordered).
If we had a real conservative like Kasich, the GOP would win the WH and hold the Senate. Guess what?

That is what Republicans SHOULD do.....return to sanity

But it won't happen. On the day of Obama's election, they met and decided rather than compromise to save whatever they could of their agenda, they would unite to obstruct EVERYTHING Obama tried to do. Obama did not receive a single Republican vote, even on positions they previously supported

Hillary will face the same stonewall. Republicans will even vote against their own best interests to block Hillary. Even if they wanted to, a moderate Republican would face immediate attacks from both the Teatards and the rightwing media for even thinking of working with Hillary for the common good

Then they are truly doomed.

This is not Trumps fault

Republicans sold out their party to the bat shit crazies when Clinton was President. They have only gotten worse. Trump should be the final straw in forcing Republicans to return to sanity

But all anyone has to do is read the positions of conservative posters on this board to realize it won't happen

Well to make it happen the Tea Party needs to be crushed, so sanity can come back into the party. Republican elected leaders needs to say NO to the Tea Party, the religious far right. If they don't, you're right this party will never come back. They need to take the anger, the emotion out of this party, and put the brains back in.

B9321378930Z.1_20160317115853_000_GA5DPLMM5.1-0.jpg

It took Republicans 25 years to get to the state they are in

They are not going to turn things around on a dime and be a whole new party by 2020. Expect them to double down on dumb and see what happens

That is why I say....The next Republican President hasn't been born yet

Very True--instead of the Republican party learning anything from prior loses, they just double down on the rhetoric and try it again 4 years later. I doubt most of them even know why they lost in 2012. They chased off women by dragging the party into abortion, that then went into who's not going to pay for birth control pills, that then went into what is legal-legitimate rape questions, that sent women running into Obama's column by double digits, younger women by 36 points. There was also some very harsh rhetoric coming out of their mouths over immigration--so they lost the Latino vote, another large voting block. Romney's fate was sealed long before he even became the nominee.
The GOP's woman problem goes beyond Trump
Why Romney Lost And Republicans Keep Losing
Gender Gap in 2012 Vote Is Largest in Gallup's History
GOP Win Will Need More Than 40 Percent Of Latino 2016 Vote, Says Study
Latino conservatives: If Donald Trump is the nominee, we will not work to elect him
Poll: 8 in 10 Hispanics don’t like Trump

So in 2016 they just doubled down on women's issues, now gay marriage issues, aka U.S. Supreme court issues (something that prior GOP candidates never brought up, much less campaigned on) and went full throttle on Latino's. Their 2016 platform is now more extreme and divisive than ever.
Poll: 8 in 10 Hispanics don’t like Trump

As long as Rush Limbaugh, and other Reich wing talk show hosts, including those on FOX News are filling their audiences with 3 or more daily hours of Reich wing hyperbole, half truths, misconceptions, and conspiracy theories, the Republican party may never get back to the party of Lincoln or Reagan.

r42913rush.jpg
Ever heard of msnbc, cnn, abc, cbs. Real right wing folk there.

The most conservative county in the US elected Mia Love.
She is behind Owens.
His dad was a good man, as was Gunn McKay, Ron Inkley and some of the other congressional winners and losers in the seventies. You judge by political party, ty, and as Hugh B. Brown would have said of you, "He thinks politics is religion. It is not."
Say what??? Owens wanted Nixon impeached on his Vietnam policies when Nixon was trying to get us out. You forget owens was trouced by Garn. So trying to say my disgust of owens was influenced by religion is bogus Ya I voted for a democrat once, you know what his name was? ....Allen Howe Learned my lesson
Allen Howe? You idiot.
He was my wife's family lawyer.
Howe won btw. But then.....

If we had a real conservative like Kasich, the GOP would win the WH and hold the Senate. Guess what?
Too bad he got clobbered by Donald...or himself. Now try to answer my question.

She is behind Owens.
Allen Howe? You idiot.
He was my wife's family lawyer.
Howe won btw. But then.....
Did he help you continue the farm subsidies?

Too bad he got clobbered by Donald...or himself. Now try to answer my question.
when has lying not been a sin? are you feeling OK today?

He will be soundly defeated. For most defeated candidates they disappear from the public eye. Think Mondale, Dukakis, Dole

But Trump can never stand for that. Will he come back in 2020? 2024? thinking he can recapture the magic?

Very good question. Being a narcissist, I doubt he is going to debate Hillary Clinton. It will be interesting to see how he reacts, he is definitely going to get creamed. I think he'll disappear for a while, and come back later to see if he still has support. It will be very interesting to see where he puts the blame on his loss--because to be certain he won't be able to blame himself.
A neuroscientist explains: Trump has a mental disorder that makes him a dangerous world leader

Another question is what will happen to Trump International once he loses?

Will Trump, being an ex-Presidential candidate, be more attractive to investors?
Or, has he exposed himself as an orange buffoon incapable of being taken seriously?

Will Trump get richer or poorer ?

Very good question. Being a narcissist, I doubt he is going to debate Hillary Clinton. It will be interesting to see how he reacts, he is definitely going to get creamed. I think he'll disappear for a while, and come back later to see if he still has support. It will be very interesting to see where he puts the blame on his loss--because to be certain he won't be able to blame himself.
A neuroscientist explains: Trump has a mental disorder that makes him a dangerous world leader

I think he will blame the Republican Party for not supporting him. He is partially correct

Television.
Fox News?

FOX News is always going to go for the ratings, but I think the majority of people watching FOX have an understanding that FOX really gave Trump unprecedented news coverage during the debates and are therefore responsible for the incoming Tsunami that is going to hit the Republican Party. Will they then put him back on the air? Who knows? Not only will the Republican party have to be rebuilt but FOX News is going to have to change it's ways if they expect to get millions of their viewers back.

Television.
Fox News?

FOX News is always going to go for the ratings, but I think the majority of people watching FOX have an understanding that FOX really gave Trump unprecedented news coverage during the debates and are therefore responsible for the incoming Tsunami that is going to hit the Republican Party. Will they then put him back on the air? Who knows? Not only will the Republican party have to be rebuilt but FOX News is going to have to change it's ways if they expect to get millions of their viewers back.

Be interesting to see what a post Roger Ailes Fox News is like. Will they continue the money making formula or move to right center?

Will Trump, being an ex-Presidential candidate, be more attractive to investors?
Or, has he exposed himself as an orange buffoon incapable of being taken seriously?

Ummm--you know with these 3500 law suits going on with Trump, it would really surprise me that investors would back Trump, especially with this Trump University civil suit going on right now--that is due to come up during this election season. So I will go with the later on that one, I think his business record is coming into full view now.
Yes, Trump University Was a Massive Scam, by Ian Tuttle, National Review

Michael Bloomberg sure didn't have anything nice to say about Trump's business record.

Ummm--you know with these 3500 law suits going on with Trump, it would really surprise me that investors would back Trump, especially with this Trump University civil suit going on right now--that is due to come up during this election season. So I will go with the later on that one, I think his business record is coming into full view now.
Yes, Trump University Was a Massive Scam, by Ian Tuttle, National Review

Michael Bloomberg sure didn't have anything nice to say about Trump's business record.

I think Trump has seriously hurt the TRUMP brand. Used to stand for excellence and luxury. You bought TRUMP you bought the best

Now it seems almost cartoonish. Are those with real money going to buy into the Trump mystique anymore?

Silly dems. Of course we can throw out the bad guys, and it will take time just as it did for you to get rid of the white supremacists.

Yeah, it took a Democratic President the bravery to concede the South by doing the right thing and signing the civil rights bill. Today's GOP can't even un endorse a lunatic let alone do anything about kicking out much of it's base.

And voting for Gary Johnson isn't solving anything either.
Trump is not denying or endorsing segregation or lynch law, as your people did for a century. HJ, getting rid of the trumpfucs will be much easier than you think.

No, Trump isn't, but he is asking why we the U.S. can't use nuclear weapons.

Trump supporters are mostly the tea party. After Trump moves off the stage you still have your ridiculous base to deal with. They have nowhere else to go and there are more of them in your party then there are of you. If they have one thing right it is that when they call moderates RINOs, it's true.

2020? What about now? My god, I've never seen so few profiles in courage than I have of so called moderate Republicans. Is the GOP going to nominate Paul Ryan? The biggest wuss of the House who can't even walk back a Trump endorsement? Every single one of them is falling in front of Trump. Cruz destroyed (thankfully) his future and no one other than .....Kasich? Is that who you are holding out for? Considering almost half of the GOP is solidly behind Trump, Kasich is dead in the water. That's all in the future though. If you really think the GOP can move above and beyond Trump (win or lose, they can't) and that is what is going to save the party then why are you throwing your vote away? News for you, voting for a perpetual losing candidate is not saving your party from Trump.
Aren't you the silly one? Trump is a blow by in history. Our GOP will recover just fine, as did yours from McGovern.

There is little resemblance between McGovern and Trump. I don't so the Democratic party looking back at McGovern with embarrassment. I don't see Democrats having to excuse McGovern's campaign or the votes that he did receive, he simply got his ass kicked.

Trump is different. At some point the Republican party has to forcefully make a turn away from Trump. That doesn't happen with non-endorsement endorsements. It doesn't happen by giving up and voting for a pseudo politician running under the banner of a pseudo political party and ideology. The GOP will only overcome Trump, Trumpism and far right wing morons by directly confronting them. Or, leave the party when you lose.
If you are saying that McGovern was not mentally crazed, OK. But your argument about Trump is specious. He will get his ass kicked. The GOP regulars and mainstream leaders will not put up with him at that. They won't have to.

If Trump gets his ass kicked (he'll lose at best by 4-5 points, probably less) and you rub it into the noses of wingnuts then I hope every Democrat on this board rubs your nose in the fact that you stood by and did nothing and let Democrats fix your problems for you.

How is advocating against him The entire primary doing nothing?

By voting for Johnson and making your vote pointless. To get rid of Trump there is only one person to vote for where you are being productive.

Also in general, decades of Republicans pandering to cultural wackjobs gave the country Trump. Moderate Republicans were all to happy to cede territory within their own party if for the sake that they can exploit their votes.

Well, it's now apparent how well that worked out and we all get to pay the price for it if Trump wins.

Hopefully the Democrats can do the job that moderate Republicans failed to do, defend the country from their Frankenstein.

I believe the only way for the GOP to get rid of it's dark side is to first ensure Trump does not win. Then crack open that autopsy report again and actually do something.

This country desperate needs a modern conservative party not hung up on social issues that have already been decided. We need competing ideas on how to lead this country, not one side hampered by the others inability to do anything. A debate of ideas and grand compromises. Something both sides have been hesitant to do though most obviously from Republicans.

First thing first, beat Trump then cast a wider net to attract more than just white males. It may be too late and the only save for the GOP on a national level will be if the Democrats get too big and begin to crack. Shit, did you see the DNC convention? There is no way that broad of a coalition will last.

The post Trump GOP would do well to spend the next four years being honest actors for the American people. They need to work with Clinton in tackling some of the larger issues that were swept aside by Congress while Obama was in office. They need to show that they are willing and able to govern in a thoughtful and responsible way that addresses the issues facing all Americans.
I Believe Ryan can be that guy but he needs to grow a pair and work to silence the crazies.

That is what Republicans SHOULD do.....return to sanity

But it won't happen. On the day of Obama's election, they met and decided rather than compromise to save whatever they could of their agenda, they would unite to obstruct EVERYTHING Obama tried to do. Obama did not receive a single Republican vote, even on positions they previously supported

Hillary will face the same stonewall. Republicans will even vote against their own best interests to block Hillary. Even if they wanted to, a moderate Republican would face immediate attacks from both the Teatards and the rightwing media for even thinking of working with Hillary for the common good

Then they are truly doomed.

This is not Trumps fault

Republicans sold out their party to the bat shit crazies when Clinton was President. They have only gotten worse. Trump should be the final straw in forcing Republicans to return to sanity

But all anyone has to do is read the positions of conservative posters on this board to realize it won't happen

Well to make it happen the Tea Party needs to be crushed, so sanity can come back into the party. Republican elected leaders needs to say NO to the Tea Party, the religious far right. If they don't, you're right this party will never come back. They need to take the anger & the emotion out of this party, and put the brains back in.

B9321378930Z.1_20160317115853_000_GA5DPLMM5.1-0.jpg

Which Republicans are going to stand up to their base, face losing their own re elections and be blamed for years and years of GOP losses while they reorganize? What is the GOP going to do without a substantial base?

Aren't you the silly one? Trump is a blow by in history. Our GOP will recover just fine, as did yours from McGovern.

There is little resemblance between McGovern and Trump. I don't so the Democratic party looking back at McGovern with embarrassment. I don't see Democrats having to excuse McGovern's campaign or the votes that he did receive, he simply got his ass kicked.

Trump is different. At some point the Republican party has to forcefully make a turn away from Trump. That doesn't happen with non-endorsement endorsements. It doesn't happen by giving up and voting for a pseudo politician running under the banner of a pseudo political party and ideology. The GOP will only overcome Trump, Trumpism and far right wing morons by directly confronting them. Or, leave the party when you lose.
If you are saying that McGovern was not mentally crazed, OK. But your argument about Trump is specious. He will get his ass kicked. The GOP regulars and mainstream leaders will not put up with him at that. They won't have to.

If Trump gets his ass kicked (he'll lose at best by 4-5 points, probably less) and you rub it into the noses of wingnuts then I hope every Democrat on this board rubs your nose in the fact that you stood by and did nothing and let Democrats fix your problems for you.

How is advocating against him The entire primary doing nothing?

By voting for Johnson and making your vote pointless. To get rid of Trump there is only one person to vote for where you are being productive.

Also in general, decades of Republicans pandering to cultural wackjobs gave the country Trump. Moderate Republicans were all to happy to cede territory within their own party if for the sake that they can exploit their votes.

Well, it's now apparent how well that worked out and we all get to pay the price for it if Trump wins.

Hopefully the Democrats can do the job that moderate Republicans failed to do, defend the country from their Frankenstein.
:) If the Dems could get rid of the evil KKK and whites supremacists, getting rid of the trumphucs is easy peasy.

Forum List

Back