The Post-Election Fallout Is Going to Be Brutal for the Party That Loses the White House Race

Nope, they are not, but there are far too many of them. Yes, you are right about speaking up. The corporatism and neo-cons and social cons were warned about the racists and nativists attaching themselves to the GOP. In 2020, watch: there will be no more than four or five serious candidates in the mainstream. No one will allow the crazies to have this type of power again.

2020? What about now? My god, I've never seen so few profiles in courage than I have of so called moderate Republicans. Is the GOP going to nominate Paul Ryan? The biggest wuss of the House who can't even walk back a Trump endorsement? Every single one of them is falling in front of Trump. Cruz destroyed (thankfully) his future and no one other than .....Kasich? Is that who you are holding out for? Considering almost half of the GOP is solidly behind Trump, Kasich is dead in the water. That's all in the future though. If you really think the GOP can move above and beyond Trump (win or lose, they can't) and that is what is going to save the party then why are you throwing your vote away? News for you, voting for a perpetual losing candidate is not saving your party from Trump.
Aren't you the silly one? Trump is a blow by in history. Our GOP will recover just fine, as did yours from McGovern.

There is little resemblance between McGovern and Trump. I don't so the Democratic party looking back at McGovern with embarrassment. I don't see Democrats having to excuse McGovern's campaign or the votes that he did receive, he simply got his ass kicked.

Trump is different. At some point the Republican party has to forcefully make a turn away from Trump. That doesn't happen with non-endorsement endorsements. It doesn't happen by giving up and voting for a pseudo politician running under the banner of a pseudo political party and ideology. The GOP will only overcome Trump, Trumpism and far right wing morons by directly confronting them. Or, leave the party when you lose.
If you are saying that McGovern was not mentally crazed, OK. But your argument about Trump is specious. He will get his ass kicked. The GOP regulars and mainstream leaders will not put up with him at that. They won't have to.

If Trump gets his ass kicked (he'll lose at best by 4-5 points, probably less) and you rub it into the noses of wingnuts then I hope every Democrat on this board rubs your nose in the fact that you stood by and did nothing and let Democrats fix your problems for you.

How is advocating against him The entire primary doing nothing?

Trump losing actually is in the best interests of conservatives.

The post-Trump GOP can't get here soon enough. A party that is for a smaller federal government, more individual liberty, less spending, and the importance of the nuclear family and values.

Trump represents non of these.

Trump winning would kill the conservative movement for a decade.
Worse than three additional leftists on the Supreme Court for life? You sure about that?

We get 3 leftists on the supreme Court regardless who wins

Let's be honest here. The fall out for the entire world is going to be brutal no matter who is elected. We are going to war.
We have been at war since 9-11. If you are saying we are sending another huge army overseas, that won't happen.

Im not sure we will need to send them overseas.
Is this the con election refrain of "If we lose, theres going to be a civil war"? :eusa_doh:

You seriously think people angry enough to nominate trump are going to cease being angry if he loses?

Anger leads to violence. It's only a matter of time. Which will be magnified by the absolute corruption of a Clinton presidency.

Oh and that anger doesn't go away if Trump is elected. We will have angry leftists agitating for revolution and angry Republicans who will feel betrayed the second Trump starts ignoring them

You've never been a conservative Jake.
Once upon a time I was, then the paradigm shifted to the far crazy right. That I am not, you are right, a silly far right conservative.

When our GOP loses this election, the far right contards (the Cruzes) and the hard right cons (the Kasichs) are going to say I told you so.

The crazy rights that just wanted to punish the regular GOP and mainstream leaders are going to pay a very heavy price, just like they did back after the 1964 election when they were sent to the wilderness.

I disagree. Trump supporters aren't going anywhere. The GOP has cultivated this sort of rabid wingnut and now the GOP can't win with them because they are repugnant and since the GOP harbored these idiots in the first place they are more than half of the GOP base.

You guys really fucked yourselves and it started with Reagan.

Congratulations for speaking up about it now...a little late.

Meg Whitman just bailed from the GOP and is casting her vote for the best option to ensure Trump is never president. If only more could swallow their pride and do the right thing.

Spot on.
IMO, the two most damaging moves by the GOP in the last decade was embracing the Tea Party movement and supporting Citizens United. In an attempt to gain dominance they went too far. They allowed for unlimited money funding unlimited crazy.

The GOP embraced the tea party? Which is why they fought them tooth and nail and nominated someone who is the antithises of what the tea party stands for?

And you think supporting the first amendment is bad? What exactly about McCain fiengold banning advertisements criticizing incumbents was a good thing?

Let's be honest here. The fall out for the entire world is going to be brutal no matter who is elected.

We are going to war.
You're taking a lot of heat for this comment, but i definitely agree this election doesn't end in a quiet concession. Trump is openly talking about rigged elections in preparation for losing. During the primary his "concession" speeches were anything but. Go to Twitter and you'll find he's got a lot of support in the Gamergate, #AltRight and #WhiteHolocaust movements. Those guys are freaking terrifying. They're definitely not "all talk" folks and they routinely make death threats and doxx folks they disagree with. Trump's got them stirred up enough that if he vows to fight the election results come November I don't see this turning out well.

Let's be honest here. The fall out for the entire world is going to be brutal no matter who is elected.

We are going to war.
You're taking a lot of heat for this comment, but i definitely agree this election doesn't end in a quiet concession. Trump is openly talking about rigged elections in preparation for losing. During the primary his "concession" speeches were anything but. Go to Twitter and you'll find he's got a lot of support in the Gamergate, #AltRight and #WhiteHolocaust movements. Those guys are freaking terrifying. They're definitely not "all talk" folks and they routinely make death threats and doxx folks they disagree with. Trump's got them stirred up enough that if he vows to fight the election results come November I don't see this turning out well.

Unfortunately people are completely blind to what is going on. We have Trump supporters and Bernie supporters talking about completely burning the system down. This isn't reform this is a whole different animal and it's not one that can be easily controlled

Let's be honest here. The fall out for the entire world is going to be brutal no matter who is elected. We are going to war.
We have been at war since 9-11. If you are saying we are sending another huge army overseas, that won't happen.

Im not sure we will need to send them overseas.
Is this the con election refrain of "If we lose, theres going to be a civil war"? :eusa_doh:

You seriously think people angry enough to nominate trump are going to cease being angry if he loses?

Anger leads to violence. It's only a matter of time. Which will be magnified by the absolute corruption of a Clinton presidency.

Oh and that anger doesn't go away if Trump is elected. We will have angry leftists agitating for revolution and angry Republicans who will feel betrayed the second Trump starts ignoring them
Good on you for cheering-on that non-democratic nonsense. Keep up the good work

The post-Trump GOP can't get here soon enough. A party that is for a smaller federal government, more individual liberty, less spending, and the importance of the nuclear family and values.

The GOP will never recover unless it rids itself of its racist moron base .. thus losing half of its constituency.

Will they do that .. who knows .. but if it doesn't, it will be reduced and diminished as a major party.

The GOP will never recover unless it rids itself of its racist moron base .. thus losing half of its constituency.

Will they do that .. who knows .. but if it doesn't, it will be reduced and diminished as a major party.
The most conservative county in the US elected Mia Love.
She is behind Owens.
Did he go on a mission like that worthless dad of his

Once again jake shows his ignorance of the Bible. The LORD will put hooks in their mouths and draw all nations to the valley of decision
I had to correct a silly comment by a Mormon elsewhere yesterday about end days. When you understand scripture, I will let you know.
whatever you say Charles T. Russell.

We are going to war.

Unfortunately people are completely blind to what is going on. We have Trump supporters and Bernie supporters talking about completely burning the system down. This isn't reform this is a whole different animal and it's not one that can be easily controlled
Bernie and Trump were both populist movements and those get inherently scary. I'm less worried about the Bernie Bros as they were stopped in the primaries and are effectively done. They've got no one to get fired up about in the general.

I am truly worried about the fringe elements backing Trump. The rank and file GOP folks, the Tea Party, etc aren't the issue. I'm talking about the truly scary guys that are following Trump on Twitter and Reddit. The #AltRight are modern skinheads and they feel empowered by Trump. Gamergate folks are just as bad and have zero qualms about targeting folks for doxxing or other electronic attacks as a way to act out. Those guys are scary and with Trump talking now about a rigged election those guys aren't likely to go quietly in defeat.

Once upon a time I was, then the paradigm shifted to the far crazy right. That I am not, you are right, a silly far right conservative.

When our GOP loses this election, the far right contards (the Cruzes) and the hard right cons (the Kasichs) are going to say I told you so.

The crazy rights that just wanted to punish the regular GOP and mainstream leaders are going to pay a very heavy price, just like they did back after the 1964 election when they were sent to the wilderness.

I disagree. Trump supporters aren't going anywhere. The GOP has cultivated this sort of rabid wingnut and now the GOP can't win with them because they are repugnant and since the GOP harbored these idiots in the first place they are more than half of the GOP base.

Meg Whitman just bailed from the GOP and is casting her vote for the best option to ensure Trump is never president. If only more could swallow their pride and do the right thing.

Spot on.
IMO, the two most damaging moves by the GOP in the last decade was embracing the Tea Party movement and supporting Citizens United. In an attempt to gain dominance they went too far. They allowed for unlimited money funding unlimited crazy.

The GOP embraced the tea party? Which is why they fought them tooth and nail and nominated someone who is the antithises of what the tea party stands for?

And you think supporting the first amendment is bad? What exactly about McCain fiengold banning advertisements criticizing incumbents was a good thing?

The Teatards support Trump

We are going to war.

They lack the passion

You want passion? Look at the Civil Rights and anti-war protesters of the 60s

Todays Bernie and Trump supporters don't want to put down their smartphone.....OHHHhhh, I am so mad, watch me send out this mean tweet!

We are going to war.

They lack the passion

You want passion? Look at the Civil Rights and anti-war protesters of the 60s

Todays Bernie and Trump supporters don't want to put down their smartphone.....OHHHhhh, I am so mad, watch me send out this mean tweet!
Man I hope you're right.

But even if they won't put down their smart phones the guys targeted by the #AltRight and #GamerGate crowds online can tell you that they can do real damage to a person.

I'm about at the point that I'm going to delete my Twitter account. The average Trump supporter is a pretty decent guy, but if you wade in it takes almost zero effort to connect @RealDonaldTrump with some damn scary folks on Twitter and they are fired up.

My suspicion is that if Clinton wins Trump will refuse to concede and will fight this in court. While that's happening we will see a resurgence of the militia movements that occurred under Bill. Last thing I want to see is another Waco or Ruby Ridge but I'm finding it hard to believe we avoid that.

The Republican party is no longer the party of Lincoln or Reagan, it's been hijacked by the Reich wing. It isn't even recognizable anymore. It is now the TRUMP Party. Myself being a life long Republican am pissed off about this, because I had to change my party status to Independent because of Trump, and because of the Reich wing continual march on already settled U.S. Supreme court issues as their main focus, not the economy, deficits, jobs, etc. IOW--They've gone bat shit crazy. The Republican party no longer represents me. Their 2016 platform is more extreme an divisive than ever.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/19/opinion/the-most-extreme-republican-platform-in-memory.html?_r=0

So I am following the advise of a long time friend and staffer of Ronald Reagan, and will be voting for Hillary Clinton.

We Republicans 54% of the party that didn't do this, should not feel any loyalty toward the new Trump Party. Maybe after this election we can rebuild the party--as to the way it was (without these Reich wing nut cases in it.)--if not I'll stay Independent.

They wanted Trump now they OWN Trump.
You Wanted Trump, You’ve Got Him | The American Spectator

And according to the above article--for all you that did support Trump for the nomination--this is a preview of what you get to look forward to on election night. Frankly, you should be wearing bags over your heads. You were warned time and time again, and you ignored it all.

1964PresElect.jpg

I believe the only way for the GOP to get rid of it's dark side is to first ensure Trump does not win. Then crack open that autopsy report again and actually do something.

This country desperate needs a modern conservative party not hung up on social issues that have already been decided. We need competing ideas on how to lead this country, not one side hampered by the others inability to do anything. A debate of ideas and grand compromises. Something both sides have been hesitant to do though most obviously from Republicans.

First thing first, beat Trump then cast a wider net to attract more than just white males. It may be too late and the only save for the GOP on a national level will be if the Democrats get too big and begin to crack. Shit, did you see the DNC convention? There is no way that broad of a coalition will last.

The post Trump GOP would do well to spend the next four years being honest actors for the American people. They need to work with Clinton in tackling some of the larger issues that were swept aside by Congress while Obama was in office. They need to show that they are willing and able to govern in a thoughtful and responsible way that addresses the issues facing all Americans.
I Believe Ryan can be that guy but he needs to grow a pair and work to silence the crazies.

That is what Republicans SHOULD do.....return to sanity

But it won't happen. On the day of Obama's election, they met and decided rather than compromise to save whatever they could of their agenda, they would unite to obstruct EVERYTHING Obama tried to do. Obama did not receive a single Republican vote, even on positions they previously supported

Hillary will face the same stonewall. Republicans will even vote against their own best interests to block Hillary. Even if they wanted to, a moderate Republican would face immediate attacks from both the Teatards and the rightwing media for even thinking of working with Hillary for the common good

Then they are truly doomed.

This is not Trumps fault

Republicans sold out their party to the bat shit crazies when Clinton was President. They have only gotten worse. Trump should be the final straw in forcing Republicans to return to sanity

But all anyone has to do is read the positions of conservative posters on this board to realize it won't happen

Well to make it happen the Tea Party needs to be crushed, so sanity can come back into the party. Republican elected leaders needs to say NO to the Tea Party, the religious far right. If they don't, you're right this party will never come back. They need to take the anger & the emotion out of this party, and put the brains back in.

B9321378930Z.1_20160317115853_000_GA5DPLMM5.1-0.jpg

Last edited:

Worse than three additional leftists on the Supreme Court for life? You sure about that?

The pendulum swings both ways. Conservatives have had the majority for decades.

Conservatives think they own the Supreme Court. They have controlled the court since Nixon

Now, with the court swinging liberal, they are prepared to block all appointments to the court because they can't call the shots

They set themselves up for this. Denying appointments and Clinton's agenda like they did Obama will only compound their problems and maybe give Clinton another term IMO. They need to prove they can be reasonable again post Trump.

It is interesting to see how far Republicans will go with this

They have already shown indifference to having eight justices on the court. Will they let it drop to seven or six?

Good question. I would like to think they would not like to inflict more hits to the credibility of their party after this election but you never know.

The pendulum swings both ways. Conservatives have had the majority for decades.

Conservatives think they own the Supreme Court. They have controlled the court since Nixon

Now, with the court swinging liberal, they are prepared to block all appointments to the court because they can't call the shots

They set themselves up for this. Denying appointments and Clinton's agenda like they did Obama will only compound their problems and maybe give Clinton another term IMO. They need to prove they can be reasonable again post Trump.

It is interesting to see how far Republicans will go with this

They have already shown indifference to having eight justices on the court. Will they let it drop to seven or six?
Where do get this stuff? Indifference? Clearly you don't understand the meaning.
Yes...I mean indifference

Republicans do not give a damn about filling Supreme Court seats....especially if it means a Liberal Court

They absolutely care about the court and are following recent precedent established by Harry Reid and the Dems. It's not my fault you suffer from a poor vocabulary.

Spot on.

GOP voters and funders embraced the Tea Party big-time. The leadership went along with stunts like debt ceiling fights and shut downs. They only fought them when they no longer could control them.

We are going to war.
The truly scary ones are the liberal democrats that have turned executing cops into a national pastime.

I believe the only way for the GOP to get rid of it's dark side is to first ensure Trump does not win. Then crack open that autopsy report again and actually do something.

This country desperate needs a modern conservative party not hung up on social issues that have already been decided. We need competing ideas on how to lead this country, not one side hampered by the others inability to do anything. A debate of ideas and grand compromises. Something both sides have been hesitant to do though most obviously from Republicans.

First thing first, beat Trump then cast a wider net to attract more than just white males. It may be too late and the only save for the GOP on a national level will be if the Democrats get too big and begin to crack. Shit, did you see the DNC convention? There is no way that broad of a coalition will last.

The post Trump GOP would do well to spend the next four years being honest actors for the American people. They need to work with Clinton in tackling some of the larger issues that were swept aside by Congress while Obama was in office. They need to show that they are willing and able to govern in a thoughtful and responsible way that addresses the issues facing all Americans.
I Believe Ryan can be that guy but he needs to grow a pair and work to silence the crazies.

That is what Republicans SHOULD do.....return to sanity

But it won't happen. On the day of Obama's election, they met and decided rather than compromise to save whatever they could of their agenda, they would unite to obstruct EVERYTHING Obama tried to do. Obama did not receive a single Republican vote, even on positions they previously supported

Hillary will face the same stonewall. Republicans will even vote against their own best interests to block Hillary. Even if they wanted to, a moderate Republican would face immediate attacks from both the Teatards and the rightwing media for even thinking of working with Hillary for the common good

Then they are truly doomed.

This is not Trumps fault

Republicans sold out their party to the bat shit crazies when Clinton was President. They have only gotten worse. Trump should be the final straw in forcing Republicans to return to sanity

But all anyone has to do is read the positions of conservative posters on this board to realize it won't happen

Well to make it happen the Tea Party needs to be crushed, so sanity can come back into the party. Republican elected leaders needs to say NO to the Tea Party, the religious far right. If they don't, you're right this party will never come back. They need to take the anger, the emotion out of this party, and put the brains back in.

B9321378930Z.1_20160317115853_000_GA5DPLMM5.1-0.jpg

It took Republicans 25 years to get to the state they are in

They are not going to turn things around on a dime and be a whole new party by 2020. Expect them to double down on dumb and see what happens

That is why I say....The next Republican President hasn't been born yet

Forum List

Back