The proliferation of guns sometimes makes police work "creepy."

Procrustes Stretched

Dante's Manifesto
Dec 1, 2008

"Nearly four hours offering law enforcement's case for tighter gun laws, confronting a well-known witness — National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre — and noting the proliferation of guns sometimes makes police work "creepy.""

Baltimore Co. chief joins fight in Congress for gun control - baltimoresun.com

The fight is on. I really do enjoy this.

:eusa_shhh:

"Nearly four hours offering law enforcement's case for tighter gun laws, confronting a well-known witness — National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre — and noting the proliferation of guns sometimes makes police work "creepy.""

Any gun ban on citizens would have to include police when they are off duty. If the chief feels so strongly, he should leave his sidearm at the precinct, and rely on a police response just like the rest of us.

If the police need heavier arms such as semi autos, they should be kept locked just like we would have to.

The police should not turn into some praetorian guard, where they keep firearm rights when we lose them.

Why do people disrespect and hate America's heroes ... our first responders?

Oh yeah, we only love them when they are part of our own silly agendas.

never mind

It has nothing to do with an agenda and everything to do with the creation of two tiers of citizenship in the country. Why should a police officer when off duty be able to defend his home if someone else is required to wait for the same police to respond?

When on duty they can be armed however they need to be. When off duty and retired they would need to follow the same rules are the rest of us.

Do you enjoy the idea of an armed ruling class over an unarmed class? I thought we got rid of that concept with feudalism.

never mind

At my house, I am the "first responder". I live in a rural area. I am the law enforcement and the fire department and the medic.

As the old saying goes, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away".

Why do you leftists ALWAYS depend on somebody else to protect you and employ you and feed you and do everything else for you?

Grow some BALLS, protect yourselves, get your own damn jobs, feed yourselves, and act like ADULTS!

never mind

It has nothing to do with an agenda and everything to do with the creation of two tiers of citizenship in the country. Why should a police officer when off duty be able to defend his home if someone else is required to wait for the same police to respond?

When on duty they can be armed however they need to be. When off duty and retired they would need to follow the same rules are the rest of us.

Do you enjoy the idea of an armed ruling class over an unarmed class? I thought we got rid of that concept with feudalism.

A police officer is never off-duty. I'm not sure if the policy remains in effect, but the San Francisco Police Department once required all officers to carry their service weapon at all times.

Common sense suggests tha a trained officer who passed an intensive background check is a better risk to carry 24-7-365 than most civilians.

See:

County prosecutor killed near Texas courthouse - Yahoo! News

Is this the future as the far right continues to demean professional peace officers?

Last edited:

never mind

A police officer is never off-duty. I'm not sure if the policy remains in effect, but the San Francisco Police Department once required all officers to carry their service weapon at all times.

Common sense suggests tha a trained officer who passed an intensive background check is a better risk to carry 24-7-365 than most civilians.

See:

Is this the future as the far right continues to demean professional peace officers?

Considering the limited amout of target practice most officers get, and the larger amount most CC carriers get (because they choose to carry and use guns) I would not wager on your statement being correct.

Police officer training for shooting situations is only a fraction of thier overall training. Thier knowledge of weapon use over civilians is often in increments, not orders of magniude.

See:

Considering the limited amout of target practice most officers get, and the larger amount most CC carriers get (because they choose to carry and use guns) I would not wager on your statement being correct.

Police officer training for shooting situations is only a fraction of thier overall training. Thier knowledge of weapon use over civilians is often in increments, not orders of magniude.

There's some truth to what you've posted. The fact remains a trained police officer/deputy/agent has a use of force guideline, is trained not only to hit the target but to avoid situations where unintended persons are shot. He or she has communications to alert backup which will include medical response and has passed psychological tests - both written and oral which help rule out most 'cowboys'.

See:

There's some truth to what you've posted. The fact remains a trained police officer/deputy/agent has a use of force guideline, is trained not only to hit the target but to avoid situations where unintended persons are shot. He or she has communications to alert backup which will include medical response and has passed psychological tests - both written and oral which help rule out most 'cowboys'.

The psych test for police officers are a joke. Just look at some of the power hungry idiots that manage to pass the pysch evaluations.

And as far as avoiding situations where unitended persons are shot, I would reference the shooting a few months ago in NYC where the cops hit 10 people with frags and spray trying to take down one guy with a handgun.

never mind

This is nonsense. This isn't about taking away the right of people to own guns in their homes for defense/

geesh the straw man cometh

weren't you leaving?

yeah. As a matter of fact Dante will leave this thread after this post.

Poof!

The psych test for police officers are a joke.

that may or may not be true. Where is the data on this or is anecdotal evidence all you've got?

In context the Police chief stated, “I find it to be scary, creepy, [and] simply not based on logic,” when referring to LaPierre's "justification of the need to carry high-powered assault weapons. LaPierre painted a scenario following a natural disaster such as a tornado, hurricane or riot in which people feel abandoned by their government. “The only way they’re going to protect themselves in the cold, in the dark, when they’re vulnerable, is with a firearm."

LaPierre was fear mongering with these statements and has yet to back them up with facts.

In context the Police chief stated, “I find it to be scary, creepy, [and] simply not based on logic,” when referring to LaPierre's "justification of the need to carry high-powered assault weapons. LaPierre painted a scenario following a natural disaster such as a tornado, hurricane or riot in which people feel abandoned by their government. “The only way they’re going to protect themselves in the cold, in the dark, when they’re vulnerable, is with a firearm."

LaPierre was fear mongering with these statements and has yet to back them up with facts.

correct

never mind

Why do some people want our law enforcement outgunned?

Its as if they WANT to get cops killed.

Forum List

Back