The Psychology of Gun Ownership

[From the state formerly known as "The Land Of Steady Habits", the birthplace of mass production, Eli Whitney's cotton gin, Colt Firearms, now known as the state where a man can marry a man but where a man cannot own a firearm to protect himself and his family from an Obama supporter planning on exacting their own personal Obamatax on the man and his family, also now known as the land of the anal fornicator and the muff diver........

Bristol gun manufacturer decides to say 'adios' to Connecticut due to new gun laws. Comrade Cucksocker Governor Dannell Malloy, who won the states gubernatorial election two years ago only by virtue of the discovery 36 hours after the polls closed of an SEIU planted bag of 10,000 ballots behind a boarded up storefront window in one of the states major cities, is seen thumbing his nose at the company while uttering the phrase 'Don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out". Governor Malloy is contemplating writing a book after his term in office ends "How I turned Connecticut Into Detroit In Four Short Years"]

"BRISTOL – A Bristol gun manufacturer is going to leave Connecticut because of the gun control measure adopted by the state last week.

“With a heavy heart but a clear mind, we have been forced to decide that our business can no longer survive in Connecticut – the former Constitution state,” declared PTR Industries in a statement released on its website.

The manufacturer of rifles and small arms with 41 employees said it “has not decided upon a specific relocation site at this time” but plans to review “offers from states that are friendly to the industry.”

“We hope to have a site identified within the next six weeks, and hope to have our move completed by the end of this year,” it said.

Bristol Mayor Art Ward said the new law is “a big, big burden” on gun makers so he can understand why PTR is likely to go.

One day the company is humming along, the mayor said, “and then, boom, you’re prohibited from doing anything. It’s a game changer, no doubt about it.”

Ward said it’s too bad that a measure designed to protect people in the wake of the Dec. 14 massacre in Newtown has created a situation where communities and employees have to suffer as companies pack up and leave the state."

The Bristol Press: Bristol, Conn., and surrounding areas (BristolPress.com)

Connecticut Dem Governor On Gun Manufacturers Fleeing State After He Signs Strict Anti-Gun Bill: Oh Well? | Weasel Zippers

I hope Henery, Colt and the others that have production facilities in the North East follow Birstols lead. The commie mf's don't need the revenue or the jobs.

Last edited:
There must be a number of facets to gun ownership, status, fear, hostility, and still others. The one I have encountered is the one where a gun owner has shown me his collection and given me the background of each piece, the rate of fire, weight, value, workmanship and so on. I have never understood that part of gun ownership. I think a few of those facets of gun ownership come through on these boards.

He was more than just a gun owner, he was a collector, if he collected classic cars you would not have thought a thing about his bragging about his collection, would you.

Many people own guns for different reasons. I'd never even shot a gun til I got hired in law enforcement. Now that I'm out, I own several and enjoy shooting them. Kinda like golf...on steroids. Its a fun challenge.

I dont usually carry day to day. I just dont live in that level of fear, or a part of town that I'd truly need it. Odds that I'd need it are so tiny (just like the odds that any of YOU would need it are tiny).

BUT, when I travel I almost always do. I find it to be like an insurance thing. Its there. Probably will never need it. But, nice knowing its there.

But its true. The majority of gun owners will NEVER need their gun for self defense. If the majority of cops go their whole career without firing a shot, then most gun owners have an even smaller chance. Hell, outside of the combat jobs, most military folks go their whole career and never fire a gun. Even some combat troops dont.

Im all for gun rights. But people need them far less than they think.

Smart-ass tell me when I should carry? Do you know the exact time anyone will need a gun? You'll only need it when it's not their.

Well said. Gun ownership carries a heavy responsibility. Those who enter irresponsibly are the problem.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Marksmanship training and civics lessons for gang bangers a solution?
:cool:
I agree and we should do something about it. We have laws to prevent people from driving that would be a danger to others and we should have laws to restrict gun ownership for people that are a danger to others.

Those laws are already in place, there were 15,000 people that attempted to purchase a firearm last year that were not eligible to do so, only 44 were prosecuted. Laws are only as good as the enforcement.

Last edited:
White people and their anxiety about blacks & Hispanics is the number one factor motivating the gun nuts.
You're a racist piece of shit.

I think you were the target of the comment; pointing out what is self evident does not make him a racist.

You're just as racist for defending a racist. Why even mention race when it's not relevant? If anti gunners aren't racist why do they support a racist agenda?

It is the people like you who want to make people like me a possible victim of those who don't care about the laws who are the ones that are screwed up.

Nice try. I don't beieve you even understand the concept of empathy. When the monster you are so scared of come out of your closet and kills you, I'll have empathy for you. Maybe.
You'll only need when you don't have it.

I agree and we should do something about it. We have laws to prevent people from driving that would be a danger to others and we should have laws to restrict gun ownership for people that are a danger to others.

Good point. Now how to do that? Restricting gun sales to those who appear to be responsible should be a bar reasonable citizens can agree on. Let's do it. I would favor it being a state issue for several years so that we have 50 laboratories coming up with unique ideas to fit their specific regions. Over time, great ideas will be hatched, put into place and tweaked to efficiency. Successful state laws will be adopted by other states. I'm not confident about a one size fits all knee jerk plan coming from a Washington bureaucrat who doesn't have skin in the game. This is a complex issue that won't be solved with a media sound bite by a politician with one eye on the next election.

There still remains the criminal element. Make all the laws you want, they won't comply. We have the three strikes you're out law which is losing support in a few states. What would you here on this board think of a one strike with a weapon and you're out to get the criminally armed and violent off the streets? There are already stiffer penalties for crimes committed with guns. Should those be increased or deemed ineffective against the criminal element--since they won't comply with any law?
I agree tougher laws and enforcement for guns used in a crime are needed. However, we need to do a better job of enforcing guns laws in general. Too often violators of state gun laws are given a pass.

I don't believe regulation of the sale of guns should be at a state level. It's just too easy to cross state lines and purchase whatever you want with no background check plus purchases over the Internet would be impossible for the state to regulate.

Other guns laws should be at the state level such as permitting and training because enforcement at the federal level would be difficult and the needs would probably vary a lot between states.

Good point. Now how to do that? Restricting gun sales to those who appear to be responsible should be a bar reasonable citizens can agree on. Let's do it. I would favor it being a state issue for several years so that we have 50 laboratories coming up with unique ideas to fit their specific regions. Over time, great ideas will be hatched, put into place and tweaked to efficiency. Successful state laws will be adopted by other states. I'm not confident about a one size fits all knee jerk plan coming from a Washington bureaucrat who doesn't have skin in the game. This is a complex issue that won't be solved with a media sound bite by a politician with one eye on the next election.

There still remains the criminal element. Make all the laws you want, they won't comply. We have the three strikes you're out law which is losing support in a few states. What would you here on this board think of a one strike with a weapon and you're out to get the criminally armed and violent off the streets? There are already stiffer penalties for crimes committed with guns. Should those be increased or deemed ineffective against the criminal element--since they won't comply with any law?
I agree tougher laws and enforcement for guns used in a crime are needed. However, we need to do a better job of enforcing guns laws in general. Too often violators of state gun laws are given a pass.

I don't believe regulation of the sale of guns should be at a state level. It's just too easy to cross state lines and purchase whatever you want with no background check plus purchases over the Internet would be impossible for the state to regulate.

Other guns laws should be at the state level such as permitting and training because enforcement at the federal level would be difficult and the needs would probably vary a lot between states.
It's just too easy to cross state lines and purchase whatever you want with no background check plus purchases over the Internet would be impossible for the state to regulate.
You don't have any idea what you are talking about. To make a purchase of a firearm over the internet you have to have an FFL to do the background check.

You really hit the nail on the head! Often in this discussion, we talk about what new laws will do the trick when we don't enforce the laws we have. What about the laws against murder and assault? Those don't stop murder and assault--weapons aside. Criminals don't obey laws.

Rights come with responsibilities. Citizens recognize and honor this. Criminals never will. We should focus on disarming criminals and the mentally ill.

BTW, I have great empathy for those who have been victimized by people using any kind of a weapon, be it their hands, feet, clubs, knives, cars, trucks, or guns.

I just don't blame the object used, I blame the person who used the object.

Would you ban all knives because of what happened in Texas?

You mean Texas where no one actually died because a knife isn't nearly as effective as a gun to kill people?

You really hit the nail on the head! Often in this discussion, we talk about what new laws will do the trick when we don't enforce the laws we have. What about the laws against murder and assault? Those don't stop murder and assault--weapons aside. Criminals don't obey laws.

Rights come with responsibilities. Citizens recognize and honor this. Criminals never will. We should focus on disarming criminals and the mentally ill.

The problem is, most people who say, "We need to enforce the laws there are" don't realize the laws are as weak as they are.

For instance, most people think we have background checks already. We don't. Not thorough ones and not in all cases. As Holmes, Loughner and Cho proved.

Another for instance, did you know that most Americans are unaware that people on terrorist watch lists are not prohibited from buying guns?

The problem with gun violence isn't the "Criminal". Most gun deaths are 1) Suicides and 2) Domestic quarrels gone horribly wrong. 80% of murder victims know their killers.

The NRA notion that there are a bunch of criminals out there randomly shooting people, only kept at bay by the home gun is ludicrous.

A gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a member of the household than a bad guy.

The problem is, most people who say, "We need to enforce the laws there are" don't realize the laws are as weak as they are.

For instance, most people think we have background checks already. We don't. Not thorough ones and not in all cases. As Holmes, Loughner and Cho proved.

Another for instance, did you know that most Americans are unaware that people on terrorist watch lists are not prohibited from buying guns?

The problem with gun violence isn't the "Criminal". Most gun deaths are 1) Suicides and 2) Domestic quarrels gone horribly wrong. 80% of murder victims know their killers.

The NRA notion that there are a bunch of criminals out there randomly shooting people, only kept at bay by the home gun is ludicrous.

A gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a member of the household than a bad guy.
of course that's total bullshit.

He pretty much correct
This video discusses an important aspect of firearm ownership.....The fact that in your travels it may be necessary to take another human's life in defense of your own. Many people do not consider the concept seriously, or they may think that gun ownership is a joke. In this video we try to bring to light the responsibility that everybody undertakes when they decide to carry a firearm for protection. Not only can you become a liability to yourself by failing to "pull the trigger", but you can also endanger the lives of those around you if you lack the personal fortitude needed.

[ame=http://youtu.be/L-Djb8JSPXU]Gun Gripes Episode 18: The Psychology of Gun Ownership - YouTube[/ame]

White people and their anxiety about blacks & Hispanics is the number one factor motivating the gun nuts.

Thats where you're wrong. While protecting my home and my wife is high on the list of reasons to own a firearm,the real reason is for what the founders intended the 2nd to be for. And if the gov has no designs on tyranny they have nothing to worry about.
So why not just do their jobs and stop the people who are actually committing the crimes?
Politically incorrect to do so?

I have never viewed it as a psychological condition, but perhaps it is for some. *shrugs*

A lot of them are "compensating" for something.

Why do you hate America?

I love America.

I just think we have some retarded ass laws.

the one that says Crazy Joker Holmes can walk into a gun store with his orange hair and buy a bunch of military grade weapons without a background check is Corky whose parents were related level retarded.

Thats where you're wrong. While protecting my home and my wife is high on the list of reasons to own a firearm,the real reason is for what the founders intended the 2nd to be for. And if the gov has no designs on tyranny they have nothing to worry about.
So why not just do their jobs and stop the people who are actually committing the crimes?
Politically incorrect to do so?

That gun in your home is 43 times more likey to kill someone in your household than a bad guy.

We also lock up more people than any other country in the world. Even Communist China. We have 2 million people in prison and another 7 million on probation or parole.

Also, the notion that you need a gun to fight the government is downright silly. They have bombers, tanks, missiles, etc. You have your gun. That's going to be a really one-sided fight.

A lot of them are "compensating" for something.

Why do you hate America?

I love America.

I just think we have some retarded ass laws.

the one that says Crazy Joker Holmes can walk into a gun store with his orange hair and buy a bunch of military grade weapons without a background check is Corky whose parents were related level retarded.

He was able to buy a fully automatic weapon !! WOW things are worse then I thought.

Forum List

Back