The Ramifications of the Press in Collapse

I agree in principle, but we've reached a point at which we can't even agree on "facts".

I would suggest some kind of self-governing body (like FINRA in the financial sector), but that would be labeled "corrupt" before it even got off the ground.

This to me is a cultural issue, like most of our problems. And easily one of the most dangerous.
The press was supposed to be the guard dog for our constitutional republic, which is why we have freedom on the press. It has obviously failed at that responsibility as it feels its main job is to lead people down the correct path, rather than just provide the facts and allow the people to make their own informed decisions. Instead of being a guard dog, most of the mainstream media is the lap dog for liberals.

We need at least a couple of news outlets that have an outstanding reputation for integrity and honesty. At one time the New York Times or “The Gray Lady” had such a reputation but no longer.

This could end up being one of the biggest examples of "be careful what you ask for" that we'll see in this country.

Our press is in collapse. The proliferation of "sources" calling themselves "news" and has so diluted the information landscape that we have pulled ourselves into two entirely separate informational universes.

Yes, one end of our political spectrum will cheer this. They will love this. Rather than fix our press, they are destroying it by diluting it, dividing into two competing realities. And I have no doubt that they haven't taken even one (1) moment to consider the ramifications of this. You repair, you evolve, you improve, you innovate; you don't destroy. A republic can't exist when it can't even agree on reality, if it can't make important decisions based on shared facts.

So I guess my question here is: What is your goal? What would you like to see? Or, perhaps more importantly, do you have a goal at all?

Let's see if we get any clear, thoughtful, direct answers. I would be pleasantly surprised.

Long-form interviews and articles and interconnect your content across platforms--for instance lots of youtubes connected to your print articles. That is the only way you can distinguish yourself when you are competing with "influencers" and the like.

I was waiting for a stupid idiot like you to challenge this simple and basic truth.

There was a time in this country when the news was a service, meaning it was not monetized.

During that time we actually got news, there were no clear motivations or biases other than perhaps national and cultural.

However, once the bright idea arose to make money from the news, now you have an audience.

An audience has a preference, when that audience doesn't get their preference, they get upset and turn away.

Then you have competition, that seeks that audience.

To seek that audience one has to do more and/or better to capture that audience.

Thus the news gets more filtered and more biased until it's no longer news, but simply infotainment and bias confirmation.

This is where we're at today and why the OP, and others, are complaining about the state of the media.

Capitalism brought us here.

Socialize it!

Legacy media isn't journalism. It's political activism...

The MSM is the propaganda arm of the Democratic Party. An infomercial for Democrats.

They're now like one of those news boxes you see on streets with a source you never heard of, cheap handouts IOW.

The MSM still has one place of influence, inside the Beltway, where the incestuous band consumes their trash and believe that trash is the rest of America and the real world.

I was waiting for a stupid idiot like you to challenge this simple and basic truth.

There was a time in this country when the news was a service, meaning it was not monetized.

During that time we actually got news, there were no clear motivations or biases other than perhaps national and cultural.

However, once the bright idea arose to make money from the news, now you have an audience.

An audience has a preference, when that audience doesn't get their preference, they get upset and turn away.

Then you have competition, that seeks that audience.

To seek that audience one has to do more and/or better to capture that audience.

Thus the news gets more filtered and more biased until it's no longer news, but simply infotainment and bias confirmation.

This is where we're at today and why the OP, and others, are complaining about the state of the media.

Capitalism brought us here.

Ah, yes, the idiot Marxist view. Oh! To be in the USSR and have TASS and Pravda, eh, comrade?

This could end up being one of the biggest examples of "be careful what you ask for" that we'll see in this country.

Our press is in collapse. The proliferation of "sources" calling themselves "news" and has so diluted the information landscape that we have pulled ourselves into two entirely separate informational universes.

Yes, one end of our political spectrum will cheer this. They will love this. Rather than fix our press, they are destroying it by diluting it, dividing into two competing realities. And I have no doubt that they haven't taken even one (1) moment to consider the ramifications of this. You repair, you evolve, you improve, you innovate; you don't destroy. A republic can't exist when it can't even agree on reality, if it can't make important decisions based on shared facts.

So I guess my question here is: What is your goal? What would you like to see? Or, perhaps more importantly, do you have a goal at all?

Let's see if we get any clear, thoughtful, direct answers. I would be pleasantly surprised.

This is what your media did to themselves (with your total support and complicity):

1706300995975.png

1706300902584.png

Dorothy Kilgallen was the last REAL Reporter in the USA. She was Murdered after getting an interview with Jack Ruby.

The demise of the media is a real tragedy for the nation. Local media, for instance, has all but disappeared. The reporters who used to cover local government are gone and there is nothing to replace them. Buy a local paper lately? Is it owned by Gannett and full of inconsequential stories that have nothing to do with your community? Local government can be a cesspool of corruption. If there are no reporters covering the mayor or the county commissioners, who is? I guess it is Facebook and Next Door. This is like the only news source being USMB on a national level.

Speaking of the national level, there are only a few, very few, media that will hold politicians accountable and they are shrinking. Even these are under siege from those who hate the media. Those who could less about holding their own accountable.

The fourth estate is in decline and a new paradigm needs to be found to hold politicians and corporate elites accountable. Or we are all in trouble.

Forum List

Back