The real reason we have an electoral college instead of using the popular vote

Nope. Not because of some visionary genius by the Founders. Not some remedy for small states vs. large states, or rural vs. urban.

Like just about everything else in the history of America, it was connected to race, and slavery.

To put it simply -

Slaves couldn't vote, but they were counted at 3/5ths apiece to determine congressional representation.

The Southern states were thus at a disadvantage if the popular vote were to determine the winner,

but they got a big boost by the use of electors representing the size of their congressional delegations, since the counting of the slaves increased the number of house representatives those states were entitled to.

The Southern slave states got their way and that's where the electoral college comes from.

Not sure why your post is getting so many "funnies," oh yeah....I forgot, this is USMB, home of the conservative moron. What you stated is an absolute fact.

The Troubling Reason the Electoral College Exists

Nope. Not because of some visionary genius by the Founders. Not some remedy for small states vs. large states, or rural vs. urban.

Like just about everything else in the history of America, it was connected to race, and slavery.

To put it simply -

Slaves couldn't vote, but they were counted at 3/5ths apiece to determine congressional representation.

The Southern states were thus at a disadvantage if the popular vote were to determine the winner,

but they got a big boost by the use of electors representing the size of their congressional delegations, since the counting of the slaves increased the number of house representatives those states were entitled to.

The Southern slave states got their way and that's where the electoral college comes from.

Your ignorance of history and really everything else, is well know to all of us already. You needn't keep displaying it.

You're welcome to refute with evidence anything I've said.

I present as exhibit A, your ignorant post above. The Electoral College had nothing at all to do with racism and everything to do with being a representative republic instead of a democracy.

No charge for the education.

To put it simply -

Not sure why your post is getting so many "funnies," oh yeah....I forgot, this is USMB, home of the conservative moron. What you stated is an absolute fact.

The Troubling Reason the Electoral College Exists

TIME Magazine, a left wing fake news purveyor. You lose.

Yeah let's put everything to a popular, let's start with Obamacare. That will work for me.

To put it simply -

PURE BULLSHIT

>

I give intelligent replies to intelligent posters. You get nothing but disdain and name calling, because that's all you deserve.

No you do not have an intelligent reply and that is why you call people names.

if you scan the body of my replies, there are plenty of intelligent replies. However, again, you don't deserve that courtesy, and NYcarbineer barely does, sometimes.

So fuck off you jew hating twat.

Get over yourself. You have no call to accuse me of not wanting to debate on the issues.

I can accuse you of whatever I want. Man up.

Your right to be wrong is not under dispute.

Your ability to say what is wrong is in question. Your ability to be wrong on the other hand, is undisputed.

Go find yourself a pogrom, asshole.

They resort to calling names, as they have no intelligent reply in defense of their ignorance.

I give intelligent replies to intelligent posters. You get nothing but disdain and name calling, because that's all you deserve.

if you scan the body of my replies, there are plenty of intelligent replies. However, again, you don't deserve that courtesy, and NYcarbineer barely does, sometimes.

I don't think you ever have an intelligent reply.

Just because you can't understand it, doesn't mean its unintelligent.

Add up the population of the slave and non slave states respectively.The reason the slave states wanted the slaves to count becomes apparent.
For obvious reasons. Every state wanted to drive up their numbers. Still, the link disproved your claim "slave states were the small states before slaves were added". Move the goalposts all you like, but 1) the EC wasn't enacted because of slavery and 2) the smallest population states were not all south of the Mason-Dixon line.

OK

Get over yourself. You have no call to accuse me of not wanting to debate on the issues.

Your ability to say what is wrong is in question. Your ability to be wrong on the other hand, is undisputed.

You've offered nothing to prove me wrong.

To put it simply -

PURE BULLSHIT

>

See? That is what passes for rebuttal in the Land of the Homeschooled.

Pajama-Boy-vs-G.I.-Joe.png

You refuse to even contemplate what is offered.

To put it simply -

PURE BULLSHIT

>

See? That is what passes for rebuttal in the Land of the Homeschooled.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

I have come to the realization the I got some things turned around yesterday when I was speaking about the 3/5 Compromise. Other were correct in telling me that the South was not/did not count slaves as a person. The North did, and thus was the 3/5 "Compromise" born.

My bad, And I apologize for being more ignorant on the subject than I thought I was.

I provided a set of historical facts. They prove that contrary to conventional wisdom, the formation of the electoral college did NOT benefit small states to any degree comparable to the degree it benefited the slave states.

I provided a set of historical facts. They prove that contrary to conventional wisdom, the formation of the electoral college did NOT benefit small states to any degree comparable to the degree it benefited the slave states.

The fact that each state has 2 senate related votes regardless of population pokes a hole in your argument from the start.

The fact that each state has 2 senate related votes regardless of population pokes a hole in your argument from the start.

That has no effect on the huge advantage that the slave states got from being able to count slaves.

The point is, the electoral college is not genius, it is the result of expedient compromise that was needed to cobble together a union of states under a supreme federal government when each state had its own set of special interests.

That has no effect on the huge advantage that the slave states got from being able to count slaves.

The point is, the electoral college is not genius, it is the result of expedient compromise that was needed to cobble together a union of states under a supreme federal government when each state had its own set of special interests.

They wanted to count them as 5 fifths.

And each State still has their own interests, something which we have to get back to respecting.

To put it simply -

Interesting opinion, however you have no proof.

Why the Electoral College

The Reason for the Electoral College - FactCheck.org

You got any proof, no but at least now you can claim racism as you nutters always do when you have nothing else, however the act is getting old and most people are wise to your game.

Forum List

Back