The reality of being standed in an EV in a snowstorm

And those of us that are not deep in dementia can look at the gas gauge or amount of charge occasionally, and make sure we have adequate fuel for the weather conditions.

Assuming there's a charging station close by.
Which of course is unlikely on the open highway. And I dont want to hear about quick charging which damages the batteries.
And I of course dont need to worry about getting stuck in the snow in my truck or finding fuel when needed.

Assuming there's a charging station close by.
Which of course is unlikely on the open highway. And I dont want to hear about quick charging which damages the batteries.
And I of course dont need to worry about getting stuck in the snow in my truck or finding fuel when needed.
If you are in the middle of a jam, that truck will not move the other vehicles on the highway. The Supercharger network of Tesla routinely does quick charging, and their batteries last just fine. Remember, we don't need to charge to 80%, just enough to get to the nearest charging point of any type.

If you are in the middle of a jam, that truck will not move the other vehicles on the highway. The Supercharger network of Tesla routinely does quick charging, and their batteries last just fine. Remember, we don't need to charge to 80%, just enough to get to the nearest charging point of any type.

Have you ever heard of a shoulder?

You do realize that the point of EV's is to NOT have to rely on fossil fuels, right?

And a generator able to produce the output required to fast charge an EV won't run on a small dinky can of gas.
The point of a EV is that it is a better choice to power vehicles, no matter what source is used to supply the electricity. The fact that some of the electricity can be generated without fossil fuels, and that amount will increase with technology is a bonus. The maximum charge rate for a Tesla is 48 amps. I have a 30 year old Lincoln welding machine that will run all day on 16 gallons of gas, is rated at 200 amps, and easily fits in my pickup.

Have you ever heard of a shoulder?
And you are going to find a shoulder here that will get you through? LOL

1641849945309.png

The point of a EV is that it is a better choice to power vehicles, no matter what source is used to supply the electricity. The fact that some of the electricity can be generated without fossil fuels, and that amount will increase with technology is a bonus. The maximum charge rate for a Tesla is 48 amps. I have a 30 year old Lincoln welding machine that will run all day on 16 gallons of gas, is rated at 200 amps, and easily fits in my pickup.
Damn! I love those old machines. Very smooth welder.

So you're saying an electric car needs a chase truck with a generator and ten gallons of gas?
I have to say I've never heard anything so stupid,not even kidding.
Not even close to what I said. I said that in a situation like all those cars stranded on I95 it wouldn't be much more trouble to give a quick charge than it would be to bring gas to a regular car.

At this growth rate, how long before they become the backbone of our generating capacity?

• Electricity from renewable energy sources grew at the fastest rate in two decades during 2020, according to a new report from the International Energy Agency.
  • Capacity added jumped 45% to 280 gigawatts last year.
  • The increase is poised to become the “new normal” as supportive policies and declining costs drive adoption, IEA said.
  • Renewables grew at fastest rate in two decades last year, IEA says in new report
unicorn-magical-farting-rainbow.jpg

Lol. The fact remains that fossil fuels still make up a large percentage. the fact remains that the more ev we add will stress our electric grid even more. The fact remains that the more ev added means we will need more generators whatever the means of power. The fact remains that we are paying even more for so called renewable generation of electric because of government subsidies.
One big fact remains no matter how much you want to pretend that an ev is not dependent on fossil fuels it is.
Did somebody say stressed electric grid?

California, Facing Power Crisis, Frets Over Electric Car Charging Routines

Your Lincoln's welding output is 200 amps at 25 volts AC or DC, more or less. Can't charge your Tesla from that. You'd have to plug it into the convenience outlets, which are 20 amps at 120 volts.

And the EV drivers feel all smug and superior.

If it comes to that Dave, here's my plan:

beater-truck-joe-moore.jpg

1. Buy a big, powerful old beater truck w/ICE engine run off points.
  2. Build a directed energy weapon using microwaves that you can aim at nearby EV cars like Old Rock Teslas hidden inside a couple of wood barrels capable of frying electronics at close range with an EMP.
  3. As you drive down roads and encounter obnoxious EV owners like Rocky with 'holier than thou' attitudes, first take out the computer operating their car, then you sideswipe them crumpling their body as you drive deep scratches of rust into their bodies leaving them busted up and broken.
  4. Drive away laughing.

So you are standed in an EV in a snowstorm;

"On the plus side, and EV can keep you warm quite well. Most EVs have electric seat heaters, which will keep one side of you toasty and keep you alive, even if the other side gets cold. They only draw about 60 watts (per seat) but a 20% degraded EV battery can provide that from full for almost a month! (That’s not true in a Tesla TSLA -3.5%, which won’t turn on the seat heater without running he computer, and the computer draws 240 watts and would only last a week.) A gasoline car, on the other hand, uses around 0.16 gallons/hour to idle, and thus can not idle for nearly that long, though that keeps the whole car warm. Idling an engine to keep you warm is vastly less efficient than doing it directly with wires in your seat.

Of course, drivers would prefer to heat the whole interior — but a full battery should be able to do that for around 3 days. Nobody has a full battery, but it’s still likely to beat the gasoline car. Particularly because with an EV, you can set the heat low and use less energy, which is not the case with the idling gas car."

If governor Klanny McBlackface would have been prepared, it wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Since the range of an electric car is significantly shorter than any conventional car, particularly in sub zero temperatures, your chances of getting stuck in the snow rise significantly.

Console yourself in knowing your golf cart has the same seat warmers as every other car.

Your Lincoln's welding output is 200 amps at 25 volts AC or DC, more or less. Can't charge your Tesla from that. You'd have to plug it into the convenience outlets, which are 20 amps at 120 volts.
200 amps @ 25 volts is pretty close to 48 amps (maximum Tesla charge rate) at 100 volts. So it takes a little longer. Big deal.

Forum List

Back