The reality of being standed in an EV in a snowstorm

200 amps @ 25 volts is pretty close to 48 amps (maximum Tesla charge rate) at 100 volts. So it takes a little longer. Big deal.
It won't work at all. The lowest voltage the Tesla on-board charger will accept is 120 volts....and that gives you a laughable 2 miles of range per hour of charging.

Better turn your seat heater off.

Meanwhile, playing along with your silly fantasy, are you going to put your Lincoln in your Tesla, tow your truck with the Tesla, or tow your Tesla with your truck?

I know how electricity works, Skippy. The Tesla on-board charger will not accept less than 120 volts AC. It just won't work.

You probably think that if a recipe calls for 350 degrees for one hour, you can bake it at 7,000 degrees for 3 minutes.

It's like claiming that you have 20 years of education if you passed 10th grade twice.....

I know how electricity works, Skippy. The Tesla on-board charger will not accept less than 120 volts AC. It just won't work.

You probably think that if a recipe calls for 350 degrees for one hour, you can bake it at 7,000 degrees for 3 minutes.
You are such an ignorant ass. You can get high power generator units that have welding outlets as well as 120, 240, and 480 volt outlets.

The current required to heat the seat has been verified by the manufacturer, along with the battery capacity, and rate of discharge at specific current rates. It's just a math problem from that point.
In a controlled test, that's a far cry from real world application. It also ignores the human factor. People generally do not sit in silence for hours on end without some distraction. Most would instinctively turn on the radio or use and charge their phone, or use the wipers to see outside.

In a controlled test, that's a far cry from real world application. It also ignores the human factor. People generally do not sit in silence for hours on end without some distraction. Most would instinctively turn on the radio or use and charge their phone, or use the wipers to see outside.
In a Tesla, you automatically turn on the computer when operating any systems in the vehicle. But you are still only talking about less than 1/2 kwh per hour if you use the seat heaters.

The point of a EV is that it is a better choice to power vehicles, no matter what source is used to supply the electricity. The fact that some of the electricity can be generated without fossil fuels, and that amount will increase with technology is a bonus. The maximum charge rate for a Tesla is 48 amps. I have a 30 year old Lincoln welding machine that will run all day on 16 gallons of gas, is rated at 200 amps, and easily fits in my pickup.

Again, this basically defeats the purpose.

And ICE vehicle is still superior to an EV. There is zero reason for any government to ban the sale of ICE vehicles if as the prophets predict, EV's are the "wave of the future"

All true, and with a standard car battery that has a little more than 1 kWh at full charge that could quickly become a problem, but with a Tesla battery that has 80.5 kilowatt hours capacity, it's not really such a big deal.

Again, this basically defeats the purpose.

And ICE vehicle is still superior to an EV. There is zero reason for any government to ban the sale of ICE vehicles if as the prophets predict, EV's are the "wave of the future"
Well no. I just mentioned one currently available fix for the unlikely problem of an EV stranded with a low battery. As EVs become more common, it's not hard to imagine that manufacturers will include a port for one EV to give another one a quick boost without the need to carry all those cans of gasoline. Such a port will certainly be included on vehicles used for road side service. Think of it as high powered jumper cables.

Well no. I just mentioned one currently available fix for the unlikely problem of an EV stranded with a low battery. As EVs become more common, it's not hard to imagine that manufacturers will include a port for one EV to give another one a quick boost without the need to carry all those cans of gasoline. Such a port will certainly be included on vehicles used for road side service. Think of it as high powered jumper cables.

That take 3 hours to "jump"

No need to give a lengthy full charge just to get them going to a charging station. With all the research on batteries, it's not hard to see that charging times will be greatly reduced.

Where right now unless you get to the most modern chargers, you are still sitting there for hours.

Where right now unless you get to the most modern chargers, you are still sitting there for hours.
Yes. There are hurdles to cross, but no reason to believe those problems can't be solved. Just look how fast things have developed recently. If you aren't convinced enough to buy one right now, then don't buy one. There are, and will be plenty of gasoline powered cars on the road for quite a while.

Yes. There are hurdles to cross, but no reason to believe those problems can't be solved. Just look how fast things have developed recently. If you aren't convinced enough to buy one right now, then don't buy one. There are, and will be plenty of gasoline powered cars on the road for quite a while.

Still, if EV's are the "wave of the future" why are Cali and NY (where I live) telling me it's EV's or nothing in 2035?

Still, if EV's are the "wave of the future" why are Cali and NY (where I live) telling me it's EV's or nothing in 2035?
Really? Which law says you can't drive a fossil fuel vehicle past 2035? When was that law passed?

Really? Which law says you can't drive a fossil fuel vehicle past 2035? When was that law passed?

Can't buy a new one after 2035, and you know that's what the laws in NY and Cali say, so stop trying to be slick.

Again, if EV's are the wave of the future, why can't I buy a new one after 2035 in NY and Cali?

I never get stranded in the snow I just drop the truck into 4WD Low and let the 8 cylinder engine do the work.

Can't buy a new one after 2035, and you know that's what the laws in NY and Cali say, so stop trying to be slick.

Again, if EV's are the wave of the future, why can't I buy a new one after 2035 in NY and Cali?
So you can't name the law because there isn't one. A governor's executive order might last until 2035 if conditions continue to indicate it is still worthwhile, but if they don't indicate that, any governor between now and then can change it. Even Newsome, if he is still Governor, can change it if it's not practical. Of course, California can pass any law they want, at any time, regardless of Newsome's executive order. I suspect it will remain intact, because it seems to make sense, but your hair on fire reaction that it is written in stone is pretty silly.

So you can't name the law because there isn't one. A governor's executive order might last until 2035 if conditions continue to indicate it is still worthwhile, but if they don't indicate that, any governor between now and then can change it. Even Newsome, if he is still Governor, can change it if it's not practical. Of course, California can pass any law they want, at any time, regardless of Newsome's executive order. I suspect it will remain intact, because it seems to make sense, but your hair on fire reaction that it is written in stone is pretty silly.

In 2035 if the current "law or order or whatever" is still in place in NY, will I be able to buy and ICE vehicle, yes or no?

https://fordauthority.com/2021/09/n...n-that-aims-to-ban-ice-vehicle-sales-by-2035/

Oh wait, in NY it is AN ACTUAL FUCKING LAW.

Forum List

Back