The reality of being standed in an EV in a snowstorm

I see predictions. What I don't see is actual testing.
The current required to heat the seat has been verified by the manufacturer, along with the battery capacity, and rate of discharge at specific current rates. It's just a math problem from that point.

The current required to heat the seat has been verified by the manufacturer, along with the battery capacity, and rate of discharge at specific current rates. It's just a math problem from that point.
Uh huh. And all projections I've seen for electric vehicle performance don't seem to match up with actual performance. Pretty much like all green energy scams.

1. The battery in an ICE does not have enough wh/hr to come anywhere near matching an EV. So you still have to run the engine to charge the battery

2. There are many EV's that have between 350 and 450 miles range at present. That is comparable to most ICE vehicles.
This is the second time I’ve given you Eric Peters’ column on being stranded in a EV. Read it this time. He knows far more than you.
The Lessons of I-95 - EPautos - Libertarian Car Talk

My EV that I built is an ebike specifically designed to perform in the snow, mud and sand. I've got knobby Kenda fat tires that are rated from 5 to 35 psi.

I'm not getting stuck.

Of course it doesn't have a heater, but I dress appropriately for the weather.

Last edited:
So you are standed in an EV in a snowstorm;

"On the plus side, and EV can keep you warm quite well. Most EVs have electric seat heaters, which will keep one side of you toasty and keep you alive, even if the other side gets cold. They only draw about 60 watts (per seat) but a 20% degraded EV battery can provide that from full for almost a month! (That’s not true in a Tesla TSLA -3.5%, which won’t turn on the seat heater without running he computer, and the computer draws 240 watts and would only last a week.) A gasoline car, on the other hand, uses around 0.16 gallons/hour to idle, and thus can not idle for nearly that long, though that keeps the whole car warm. Idling an engine to keep you warm is vastly less efficient than doing it directly with wires in your seat.

Of course, drivers would prefer to heat the whole interior — but a full battery should be able to do that for around 3 days. Nobody has a full battery, but it’s still likely to beat the gasoline car. Particularly because with an EV, you can set the heat low and use less energy, which is not the case with the idling gas car."

I'll take my gas guzzling jacked up 4x4 that doesnt get stuck in a foot of snow thanks.
While you can just sit tight in your glorified golf cart.
277A0DDD-3203-425B-892C-CAC22C87F170.jpeg

Well no. I doubt anybody will buy any car based only on the seat heater. There have been loads of threads here after that incident on I95 where people tried to imply an electric car would be tragically worse than a gasoline powered vehicle in such a situation. This is just a response to all those misguided threads that jumped to such wrong conclusions about what being stranded in a electric vehicle would mean for it's occupants. Electric cars have lots of advantages. Staying warm on a frozen road is just one of them.

And consider the ease of getting gasoline to stranded vehicles vs getting charge to stranded vehicles.

And consider the ease of getting gasoline to stranded vehicles vs getting charge to stranded vehicles.
Throw a generator in the back of a pickup, and the problem is solved. A generator and the fuel to run it would probably take up less space than all those cans for several gasoline cars.

Throw a generator in the back of a pickup, and the problem is solved. A generator and the fuel to run it would probably take up less space than all those cans for several gasoline cars.

You do realize that the point of EV's is to NOT have to rely on fossil fuels, right?

And a generator able to produce the output required to fast charge an EV won't run on a small dinky can of gas.

So you're saying an electric car needs a chase truck with a generator and ten gallons of gas?
I have to say I've never heard anything so stupid,not even kidding.

You do realize that the point of EV's is to NOT have to rely on fossil fuels, right?

And a generator able to produce the output required to fast charge an EV won't run on a small dinky can of gas.
The whole problem with the ev is a large percentage of our electricity is still from fossil fuels so even when charging at home they are still using fossil fuels.

The whole problem with the ev is a large percentage of our electricity is still from fossil fuels so even when charging at home they are still using fossil fuels.
And that is rapidly changing even as we post. 92% of the newly installed generation last year was wind and solar. That percentage will only increase this year, especially as the utilities are now encouraging VPP's.

I only need ice for my mixed drinks.
As far as extra gas goes I can get it at the next exit or carry a jerry can in the back of my truck. No chase vehicle needed.
And those of us that are not deep in dementia can look at the gas gauge or amount of charge occasionally, and make sure we have adequate fuel for the weather conditions.

Yet they still only make up 20% of our electric needs.
At this growth rate, how long before they become the backbone of our generating capacity?

• Electricity from renewable energy sources grew at the fastest rate in two decades during 2020, according to a new report from the International Energy Agency.
  • Capacity added jumped 45% to 280 gigawatts last year.
  • The increase is poised to become the “new normal” as supportive policies and declining costs drive adoption, IEA said.
  • https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/11/ren...decades-last-year-iea-says-in-new-report.html

At this growth rate, how long before they become the backbone of our generating capacity?

• Electricity from renewable energy sources grew at the fastest rate in two decades during 2020, according to a new report from the International Energy Agency.
  • Capacity added jumped 45% to 280 gigawatts last year.
  • The increase is poised to become the “new normal” as supportive policies and declining costs drive adoption, IEA said.
  • Renewables grew at fastest rate in two decades last year, IEA says in new report

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
With the majority of monies coming from taxpayers to build and maintain them they dont seem like a viable source of energy in the long haul.

And that is rapidly changing even as we post. 92% of the newly installed generation last year was wind and solar. That percentage will only increase this year, especially as the utilities are now encouraging VPP's.
Lol. The fact remains that fossil fuels still make up a large percentage. the fact remains that the more ev we add will stress our electric grid even more. The fact remains that the more ev added means we will need more generators whatever the means of power. The fact remains that we are paying even more for so called renewable generation of electric because of government subsidies.
One big fact remains no matter how much you want to pretend that an ev is not dependent on fossil fuels it is.

Forum List

Back