The reality of being standed in an EV in a snowstorm

View attachment 586521

After 11 years, I still love this forum
1641912736790.png

My complaint was about not being able to buy a new one, which is what the law states. I never claimed it bans them entirely, but we all know that would be the next step.

Again, please tell me why if EV's will be the superior product in 2035 that new ICE vehicles need to be banned for sale by then?
Take a few minutes to decide exactly what you want to whine about, and then try again. You did say all non zero emissions vehicles would be banned in your post #90.
1641913448497.png

1. The battery in an ICE does not have enough wh/hr to come anywhere near matching an EV. So you still have to run the engine to charge the battery

2. There are many EV's that have between 350 and 450 miles range at present. That is comparable to most ICE vehicles.

No, there aren't. Not one long distance EV comes close to attaining its clamed range.

The short range ones do, even exceeding in some cases. But in real world driving tests Teslas get 75% of their claimed range.

Ok. Obviously your driving experience leaves you at a loss for an answer.
Made up scenario.

Me driving an eight cylinder will make it across any mud field that you can cross driving a 4 or 6 cylinder

Power to the wheels is easy to control with this thing called a gas pedal

Made up scenario.

Me driving an eight cylinder will make it across any mud field that you can cross driving a 4 or 6 cylinder

Power to the wheels is easy to control with this thing called a gas pedal
Sure, but that big block weighs damn near 700 lbs, and those front wheels plow in a lot more than with a V6 at about half the weight.

Sure, but that big block weighs damn near 700 lbs, and those front wheels plow in a lot more than with a V6 at about half the weight.

the curb weight of an F150 with a 5 liter V 8 is 4300 lbs With a 2.7 liter V 6 it's 4171 lbs That's not much of a difference

You are such an ignorant ass.
I'm an American Welding Society certified welder, thanks to the GI Bill. You?
You can get high power generator units that have welding outlets as well as 120, 240, and 480 volt outlets.
No shit, dumbass. That's what I told the other idiot. You'd have to use the outlets to charge the Tesla; you couldn't use the high-current welding output. It's around 25 volts, too low to be accepted by the on-board charger. Plus, stick welders are constant current; they change voltage to keep the weld current the same value.

And 480 volt outlets on an engine-driven welder are rare. I think only Miller makes one. The other idiot's 20-year-old Lincoln doesn't have one.

You should probably just stop now.

Well no. I just mentioned one currently available fix for the unlikely problem of an EV stranded with a low battery. As EVs become more common, it's not hard to imagine that manufacturers will include a port for one EV to give another one a quick boost without the need to carry all those cans of gasoline. Such a port will certainly be included on vehicles used for road side service. Think of it as high powered jumper cables.
You mentioned a fix, but it's not a realistic one.

Articles like this dropping like leaves on a November day...

Talk about devastating PR...

So you are standed in an EV in a snowstorm;

"On the plus side, and EV can keep you warm quite well. Most EVs have electric seat heaters, which will keep one side of you toasty and keep you alive, even if the other side gets cold. They only draw about 60 watts (per seat) but a 20% degraded EV battery can provide that from full for almost a month! (That’s not true in a Tesla TSLA -3.5%, which won’t turn on the seat heater without running he computer, and the computer draws 240 watts and would only last a week.) A gasoline car, on the other hand, uses around 0.16 gallons/hour to idle, and thus can not idle for nearly that long, though that keeps the whole car warm. Idling an engine to keep you warm is vastly less efficient than doing it directly with wires in your seat.

Of course, drivers would prefer to heat the whole interior — but a full battery should be able to do that for around 3 days. Nobody has a full battery, but it’s still likely to beat the gasoline car. Particularly because with an EV, you can set the heat low and use less energy, which is not the case with the idling gas car."

Lol...in a conventional vehicle, you could stay warm for two days. In an EV, a few hours....max. dOy.

Stuck in bitter cold conditions, many stuck EV's would be a major tragedy!

Any sane person would know this! :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

I am a diehard RWD, normally-aspirated V8 LOVER.
(pony cars and pre-2020 Corvette's)

But clearly, EV's are the future.

The only problem is that they are STILL too expensive.

A Chevrolet Bolt is a great car. Fantastic.

But at $31,500?
That is still too expensive for most, lower income buyers to afford new.
Not when they can buy a Chevy Spark for literally half that.
Or even a 'big' Chevy Malibu for $9G's less.

And I believe that until an EV is cheap enough - new - for that income level to afford?
They will continue to not be accepted by the masses as anything but a 'luxury item'.

The EV cheerleaders never factor costs into their views on electric cars.

Matters to most people :2up:

Articles like this dropping like leaves on a November day...

Talk about devastating PR...

Lol...in a conventional vehicle, you could stay warm for two days. In an EV, a few hours....max. dOy.

Stuck in bitter cold conditions, many stuck EV's would be a major tragedy!

Any sane person would know this! :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:
Hey, EV drivers could be kept warm the rest of their lives if their batteries burst into flame.

Foolish article because with a gasoline or diesel engine, you likely won't get stranded in a storm.
But an EV will because with the heaters, wipers, and lights going, range drops to less than half the normal range.
And when you run the batteries down driving, there no longer is anything left to power electric seat heaters.

Foolish article because with a gasoline or diesel engine, you likely won't get stranded in a storm.
But an EV will because with the heaters, wipers, and lights going, range drops to less than half the normal range.
And when you run the batteries down driving, there no longer is anything left to power electric seat heaters.

Well...one could put an emergency bag in the frunk of any EV and pack a couple of nut sack warmers just in case

So what happens when you run out of gas?

So what happens when you run out of gas?

Desperate deflection as it is very rare despite having 100 plus MILLIONS of Gas vehicles on the road.

EV does worse in cold weather because Lithium batteries performance declines naturally in low temperatures which is terrible because standard recharging rate is now impossible without damaging the battery if out in the deep cold.

LOL

Forum List

Back