The Regressive Left and Islam -- What is happening here?

This really has been amazing, all the effort the Regressive Left has put into this. Flattering.

Despite the best efforts of the Regressive Left to lie and deflect from the point here, this thread is about one (1) issue and (1) question only:

When Islam (or any tiny part of it) is referenced or criticized in any way, what is the psychological need for Regressive Lefties -- the same people who are so quick to criticize Christianity, so quick to paint it with a broad and nasty and hateful brush -- so tolerant of Islam, so open-minded, so fair, so reasonable, so likely to react like the following?

Oh, and by the way, as I pointed out in the OP, I don't expect any kind of honest response from that group. I expected exactly what I predicted.

Oh, and also, some of the theories I have posted by honest liberals have been very enlightening.

they say the same thing as many far right christians say... which is that if women dress a certain way they're "asking for it"..
Good thing no Catholic priest has ever tried commiting a sex crime, huh?
Radical con gangs are taking over government buildings, wild life refuges, and committing massacres in Planned Parenthood offices and black churches. There is no difference between radical evangelical cons and radical Muslims.
What kind of degenerate 'hopes' that any woman would get raped. If your politics has you that f#$ked up in the head I only pity you.
"This is what's coming to America" What's already in America is this sort of ignorance and hate common to many on the right, posing a much greater threat than 'Muslims.'
oh no another christ stained martyr
Like the whit Christian pro life terrorists? Most Muslims aren't liking anyone. And anyone who actually knows anything about fighting that type of terrorism knows that you can't marginalize all Muslims.
Gee another cross humping cracka shitting in his pants thread!!!
There is no way for enough Muslims to reach us to have any voting power Assuming dumbass Christians don't manage to enshrine their own religion into our governance. And by extension Muslims, Jews, Satanists, and Hindus.
"See! We're not quite as bad as ISIS, so that makes us okay!" --- This thread, and the cry of American conservatives in general.
Plainly, the military setbacks suffered by ISIS have driven their conservative ideological twins here to serious levels of desperation.
We knew all along that RWrs had a much closer connection to ISIS than any liberal did.
Maybe now they'll realize that Christians and they are on the same side of restoring morality, instead of chopping the heads off of their allies, they might want to find some common ground.
Republicans must be so upset they can't do that here.
Why do right wingers think gays are so irresistible?
Are fundamentalist Christians jealous of their ISIS counterparts?
Which group in the US is rooting for 'god' to toss gays into a lake of fire? Is there a difference?
Allie is a prime example of christers and moooslims being two sides of the same coin.
Funny, these Republicans so much like Isis in their hatred for gays. But they think they are good and Isis is bad.
Islam isn't guilty. People are. You and the OP who condemn a religion for the acts of individuals are no different than Hitler and his condemnation of the Jews.
Your basic 'fact' is that there are no innocent Muslims.
Sounds like the Christian nazis in action.
Christians are no worse and no better than Muslims. Christian nazis and ISIL acid vat executioners are bad, too.
This is the truth: "It seems to me that authoritarian [reactionary righties] operate under the principle that as long as they stand little probability of being a victim, other people's deaths really don't matter at all. The important issue is conforming to the authoritarian [far right rectionary] group think."
Your ideology has much common with the pre-Nazi fascists who waged their culture war with anti-(insert hated group du jour) propoganda and demonized entire groups of people. Makes it far easier to get rid of them when you don't see them as individuals doesn't it?

Source: The Regressive Left and Islam -- What is happening here?
Source: This is what's coming to America
Source: ISIS Resumes Throwing Gays Off Rooftops

Making you look the fool is flattering? Are you a masochist, MacChic?

From my fabulous and effective OP:
And directly to the Regressive Leftists here: I'm certainly not, nor do I ever, expect a straight, clear and honest answer from you on this. What I expect from you is the standard deflection, derision, personal insults and name-calling. I know that's what we'll get, it's an easy prediction. This thread is specifically about your behaviors, not about Islam. I'm just curious about this, and perhaps some other responses will shed some light or provide some clues..
:tongue:

Comparison to Christianity is not necessarily making excuses

It sure is when you do it.

I would say it goes well beyond excuses, however, and enters the territory of approval, such as when you ask why Islamists who mass murder Jews shouldn't be nominated for Nobel peace prizes for their work.
You are an idiot if you believe that. No one has said anything of the sort. Context and nuance in a balanced discussion of jihad requires comparison and contrast to other religions throughout history. To struggle against that is to struggle against being a competent and moral adult.

From the article cited above:

Maher's anti-Muslim comments are nothing new. I first noticed Maher's Muslim problem in 2010 when he said on his show, "The most popular name in the United Kingdom, Great Britain -- this was in the news this week -- was Mohammed. Am I a racist to feel that I'm alarmed by that? Because I am. ... I don't have to apologize, do I, for not wanting the Western world to be taken over by Islam in 300 years?"

This was not about so called "radical Islam." Rather, Maher seemed alarmed that Muslims were growing in population.

Flash forward to 2012, when Maher discussed how women are unfairly treated in certain Muslim countries, which is truly an issue deserving of discussion. But Maher chose not to rely on facts; instead, he offered anecdotal evidence to support his argument, saying things like, "Talk to women who've ever dated an Arab man. The results are not good."

Well, my Sicilian mother not only dated an Arab man, she married him. And by all accounts, "the results" were great.

Maher kept on advancing stereotypes about an entire people based on little evidence. He ratcheted up his anti-Muslim commentary while a guest on "Charlie Rose" last month. He said that it is "naive"to think that Islam isn't more violent than other religions and mocked President Obama for commenting that the terror group ISIS was not Islamic.

Maher's remarks dismayed American Muslims across the country but won applause from all the hosts on Fox News' "The Five." When you're a progressive and a gaggle of Fox News hosts praises your views, you know something is seriously wrong.

In recent weeks on his show, Maher gave us a long rant rallying liberals to stand up to Islam. For support, he cited the high instance of female genital mutilation in the Muslim-majority countries of Somalia and Egypt.

Look, I agree with Maher that FGM is horrific. But as religious scholar Reza Aslan pointed out on CNN, FGM is based on African culture -- not Islam. African Christian-majority nations also have very high rates of FGM. In fact, there arefar fewer reported cases of FGM in Muslim nations outside of Africa.

Maher continued his personal jihad by claiming that Islam is like the Mafia, in that you will be killed if you attempt to leave the faith.

Maher then cited a Pew Research poll that he claimed found that 90% of Egyptians supported the death penalty for those who left Islam. I'm not sure where Maher got his numbers, but a 2013 Pew poll actually found only 64% of Egyptians supported this -- still alarmingly high, but not 90%.

More importantly, Egypt does not define the Muslim world. Rather, Egypt is simply one of 47 Muslim-majority nations. That same poll found that in Turkey, a nation that has almost as many Muslims as Egypt, less than 5% supported the death penalty for leaving Islam. Maher also has left out that only 13 Muslim nations have penalties for apostasy, while 34 do not.

So who truly defines Islam? To Maher, clearly it's the worst of our faith. That's something you would expect to hear from a far-right bigot, not a liberal.​

Well... most of us don't get get along with such Neanderthals... those who aren't delusional, anyway... those who haven't swallowed the Liberal Kool Aid.

It is Kool Aid, certainly, but it isn't liberal Kool Aid. It is something else.

Just as the internet has normalized paranoia by making psychosis a shared experience through all the various conspiracy theories, so to has it led to this Orwellian inversion of the world engaged in by these low functioning leftists. It acts like a shared psychosis in all the double speak where ignorance is now strength, and the defense of all things Islamic is predicated upon the strange notion that doing so is somehow liberal. No Matter HOW many times it is pointed out to these lunkheads that Islam represents the very antithesis of liberalism, they simply babble away with all the same dogma engaged in by the other drones.

There is safety in numbers and these people are absolutely terrified of being an adult individual who dares to speak a word that has not been pre-approved by the group.

No Matter HOW many times it is pointed out to these lunkheads that Islam represents the very antithesis of liberalism...
The same as all religion.

And here, the Christians are the problem, not the Muslims. That's over there and honestly none of our business.

Oh, and for those of you who are going to claim that you don't know what the Regressive Left is, or that I'm making it up, here are some honest liberals to explain it to you:

[

What I find especially cute is the way the herd claims that liberalism isn't really liberal, and then proceeds to display that they are monumentally ignorant of the identity of the single-most influential liberal political philosopher of the 20th century.

Good grief.

They are incapable of understanding concepts. They only know what hey can and cannot say without being attacked.

No Matter HOW many times it is pointed out to these lunkheads that Islam represents the very antithesis of liberalism...

And here, the Christians are the problem, not the Muslims. That's over there and honestly none of our business.

Intelligent people can see the differences between two things that are different.

Unintelligent people cannot.

Intelligent people can see the differences between two things that are different.

Unintelligent people cannot.
Religion / liberalism. Not the same, and one does not like the other while one allows for the other.

The only protection for liberalism, is liberals.

Oh, and for those of you who are going to claim that you don't know what the Regressive Left is, or that I'm making it up, here are some honest liberals to explain it to you:

[

What I find especially cute is the way the herd claims that liberalism isn't really liberal, and then proceeds to display that they are monumentally ignorant of the identity of the single-most influential liberal political philosopher of the 20th century.

Good grief.

They are incapable of understanding concepts. They only know what hey can and cannot say without being attacked.
They've spent 40+ pages working so hard to reassure each other how wrong I am, despite the myriad examples I've provided of their own words, despite the honest liberals I have presented.

Regardless of which end of the spectrum these kinds of people exist in, the world must be a very paranoid place.

Absolutely fascinating.

]

You've mastered the tactic of presenting false equivalencies. Congrats. Next lesson....how to literally bore intelligent people to death. You are ready.

I'd say his IQ is at least 30-40 points higher than yours.

Intelligent people offer original opinions. Unintelligent people repeat platitudes and indulge in group think.

]

You've mastered the tactic of presenting false equivalencies. Congrats. Next lesson....how to literally bore intelligent people to death. You are ready.

I'd say his IQ is at least 30-40 points higher than yours.

Intelligent people offer original opinions. Unintelligent people repeat platitudes and indulge in group think.
Like repeating "honest liberal" over and over and over...

They've spent 40+ pages working so hard to reassure each other how wrong I am, despite the myriad examples I've provided of their own words, despite the honest liberals I have presented.

Regardless of which end of the spectrum these kinds of people exist in, the world must be a very paranoid place.

Absolutely fascinating.

Yep.

The paranoia, in this case, is that they might actually utter an opinion some day that was incorrect.

I grew up in the 60s, when the left was liberal and non conformist. Today's left is neither, as the demands for absolute lock-step conformity have resulted in this strange new world where a leftist has to defend Islam or else.

What a simple-minded binary world these uber-conformists live in.

Forum List

Back