The Regressive Left and Islam -- What is happening here?

Say what? My politics are Nazi-like? How about that!

Authoritarian, demanding lock-step conformity, support for those who target the same targets as the Nazis.......

That's ridiculous. Your buddy Mac and I are pretty closely aligned politically. Is he a Nazi too?

I have never seen Mac defend Islamism, which now carries the Nazi Torch.

You should read Jihad and Jew hatred by Matthias Kuntzel (a liberal).

You have never seen me defend Islamism. Have you read this thread? I think all religions are bunk. But...I'm an American. So....I believe that people can follow any religion they like. Don't you?

Authoritarian, demanding lock-step conformity, support for those who target the same targets as the Nazis.......

That's ridiculous. Your buddy Mac and I are pretty closely aligned politically. Is he a Nazi too?

You have never seen me defend Ismamism. Have you read this thread? I think all religions are bunk. But...I'm an American. So....I believe that people can follow any religion they like. Don't you?

They can follow it and I can criticize them for doing so.

at least until all those screaming "Islamophobe" have their say.

a jihad for finishing college?

world peace a jihad?

only someone with a sixth grade education would come up with that idiocy. :cuckoo:

Not really. Jihad doesn't mean war and killing. Necessarily.

That seems kinda like a Gumby move to ignore the 47 radical Islamic groups making the news everyday bringing down airliners, beheading folks, kidnapping a school full of girls who are never heard from again, ad nauseum --- that are infiltrating most every corner of the world. It's a stretch --- Stretch.

One of things I've noticed about the Left is their apparent lack of self-preservation. Is that because they desire a risk free life and society so much -- that their abilities to observe and prioritize risks is impaired??

One thing I noticed about the Right is their constant use of non-sequiturs and strawmen. Who exactly is ignoring these groups and what they do and what does that have to do with the post you responded to?

I was pretty sure I was reading the posts of some contortionist who wanted to gloss over the realities of radicalized Islamic groups by offering other explanations for the term Jihad. As tho that person knows the meaning better than the 47 radical groups that make the news everyday.. Excuse me -- if that didn't happen..

It seems like there's a lot contorted justification to excuse this cancerous form of Islam so that "some folks" can deny there is even an issue. OR -- like the Prez and this current administration --- simply BAN the term radical Islamic terrorists.. Tell me THAT didn't happen..

They didn't ban anything. They choose not to use it because it doesn't advance our political objectives in the region. It's a red meat thing with people who are ignorant of the fact that we need moderate Muslims to work with us. Try harder.

The Obama Admin instructed the Exec Branch to avoid using the term "radical Islamic terrorism". Fact.

Islam has a chance to remain unaffected in the US BECAUSE we have liberty to practice religion without state intervention. Not like playing with the issue as the French have done by banning religious jewelry in their schools or any number of numerous ":marginal" decrees they have tried...

That seems kinda like a Gumby move to ignore the 47 radical Islamic groups making the news everyday bringing down airliners, beheading folks, kidnapping a school full of girls who are never heard from again, ad nauseum --- that are infiltrating most every corner of the world. It's a stretch --- Stretch.

One of things I've noticed about the Left is their apparent lack of self-preservation. Is that because they desire a risk free life and society so much -- that their abilities to observe and prioritize risks is impaired??

One thing I noticed about the Right is their constant use of non-sequiturs and strawmen. Who exactly is ignoring these groups and what they do and what does that have to do with the post you responded to?

I was pretty sure I was reading the posts of some contortionist who wanted to gloss over the realities of radicalized Islamic groups by offering other explanations for the term Jihad. As tho that person knows the meaning better than the 47 radical groups that make the news everyday.. Excuse me -- if that didn't happen..

It seems like there's a lot contorted justification to excuse this cancerous form of Islam so that "some folks" can deny there is even an issue. OR -- like the Prez and this current administration --- simply BAN the term radical Islamic terrorists.. Tell me THAT didn't happen..

They didn't ban anything. They choose not to use it because it doesn't advance our political objectives in the region. It's a red meat thing with people who are ignorant of the fact that we need moderate Muslims to work with us. Try harder.

The Obama Admin instructed the Exec Branch to avoid using the term "radical Islamic terrorism". Fact.

Islam has a chance to remain unaffected in the US BECAUSE we have liberty to practice religion without state intervention. Not like playing with the issue as the French have done by banning religious jewelry in their schools or any number of numerous ":marginal" decrees they have tried...

Yea. That's not a ban. That's a decision. It makes perfect sense when you look into the reasons behind it.

All you know is that some hotheads have told you that not saying "radical Islamic terrorist" is somehow supporting ISIS and helping the enemy. That's an ignorant position to take.

I doubt anyone in this thread is defending jihad.
Depends on the jihad. One for finishing college or world peace? Let's rock.

world peace a jihad?

only someone with a sixth grade education would come up with that idiocy. :cuckoo:

and one thing i've noticed about the right is the extraordinary levels of fear with which they live.

what percentage of the muslim population is "radical"?

so much bigotry and ignorance on the right, it's beyond belief. and i say that as someone who is not exactly sympathetic to terrorists.

again, prioritizing and assessing risk is important.\

or we could always start another war against another country that had nothing to do with attacking us.

It's not about Islam exactly. It's about the relationship of Islam with the Arab culture where GOVERNMENT and religion and leadership are inseparable from one another. Living that way for 100s of years gives MANY Muslims the impression that worshipping and CONTROLLING are the same thing. That powerful theocracies are the PREFERRED socio-political structure.

So Western Muslim communities are immunized in large part from that concept., And WE have to prevent those ideas and the murderers practicing them from ACCESSING this country. Simple self-preservation..

world peace a jihad?

and one thing i've noticed about the right is the extraordinary levels of fear with which they live.

so much bigotry and ignorance on the right, it's beyond belief. and i say that as someone who is not exactly sympathetic to terrorists.

or we could always start another war against another country that had nothing to do with attacking us.

It's not about Islam exactly. It's about the relationship of Islam with the Arab culture where GOVERNMENT and religion and leadership are inseparable from one another. Living that way for 100s of years gives MANY Muslims the impression that worshipping and CONTROLLING are the same thing. That powerful theocracies are the PREFERRED socio-political structure.

So Western Muslim communities are immunized in large part from that concept., And WE have to prevent those ideas and the murderers practicing them from ACCESSING this country. Simple self-preservation..

Yeah. We are in danger of being taken over from within by Muslims if we don't use the term "radical Islamic terrorist". I'm with ya, bro. You are spot on.

world peace a jihad?

you think you prevent ideas from "accessing" anything?

so for not marginalizing an entire group of people for no reason, you get offended?

world peace a jihad?

What? I was speaking to the definition of the term. I ignored nothing.

So your gigue right now is to convince me that those 47 radical groups leaving blood pools all over the planet are confused about the meaning of Jihad?

There are self-described Muslims who seem to think so. Do you choose to ignore them?

Maybe they are not the ones confused about Jihad or maybe they are. Like I said, the problem is Arab Culture, Not Islam. And we need to protect ourselves from folks who confuse religious discipline with a prescript for governing, conquering or dictating to others. That's a VERY leftist thing to do. And you ought to be agreeing the Muslims to worry about are those who don't understand the first thing about liberties, secular govts, or tolerance.

So your gigue right now is to convince me that those 47 radical groups leaving blood pools all over the planet are confused about the meaning of Jihad?

They're confused about the meaning of Islam.

These Islamic terrorist groups are cults essentially.

What ISIS Really Wants

They are Islamic end timers.

Don't make me go out there and pull the "mission statements" for those 47 plagues of the planet. What does ISIS stand for? Literally? Do you think creating an orthodox Islam Caliphate is AGAINST the principles of Islam? There are certainly RADICALIZED versions of Islam given full validity by the likes of sovereign states like Saudi Arabia and Iran. And in fact --- my beef is not with Islam.. It's with the tyrannical theocratic governments that Arabs tend to prefer. The Wahabi versions of the Koran are a DIRECT EXPORT of the Saudis.

And leftists OUGHT to understand that.. Since they are all hyper about usurpations of liberty by ANY threat of combining state power with theology. THAT"s really your "regressive leftist" reality. That you want to compare the LIBERTY of this nation and it's "discussions" of keeping it secular ----- to a religion that spreads with the ASSISTANCE of established theocratic states that HAVE no liberties.

We OUGHT to be on the same page here. But SOMEHOW --- you folks are stuck on OPPOSING people who recognize and understand threats to their existence by combining religious tenets with the power of a state.

Why is that????

again, i'm no supporter of terrorists. i kind of have a zero tolerance when it comes to blowing up stuff in the name of allah.

in this country? more people have been killed by christian terrorists than muslim terrorists. i think radical religionists are dangerous.

There are self-described Muslims who seem to think so. Do you choose to ignore them?

Maybe they are not the ones confused about Jihad or maybe they are. Like I said, the problem is Arab Culture, Not Islam. And we need to protect ourselves from folks who confuse religious discipline with a prescript for governing, conquering or dictating to others. That's a VERY leftist thing to do. And you ought to be agreeing the Muslims to worry about are those who don't understand the first thing about liberties, secular govts, or tolerance.

Where are these Muslims?

Wrong.

No one is ‘defending “Islamism,”’ the notion is a ridiculous lie.

When anyone commits an act of terror – whatever his religion – that individual and his actions are aggressively denounced and condemned by all, and appropriately so, because the individual alone committed the act of terror, not his ‘religion.’

As for Mac, his concern that bigots and racists not get their feelings hurt is truly touching and heart-warming, but completely unwarranted and misguided – as bigots and racists are at complete liberty to express their ignorance, fear, and hate with impunity, where factually, objectively, and appropriately identifying them as indeed bigots and racists in no manner restricts or preempts their expressions of ignorance, fear, and hate.

They are answering the question "What would Mohammad do?".

Ignorant people love to compare Islam and Christianity, but they never seem to notice the difference between the lives of the two prophets at all or in the nature of their teachings.

ISIS/AlQaeda/Hamas/Martyrs Brigade/Boko Haram etc aren't "perversions" of Islam, but Islam at it's most true since they are following both the teachings and the M.O. of Mohammad, himself.

As soon as you FOUND a radical group --- you start to confuse power and authority with religion if you are Muslim. Because -- the way of life in their countries has ALWAYS confused power and authority with religion.

Anyone with a beef -- from those CULTURES -- simply believes their authority comes from Mohammed himself. So yeah. The GENESIS of radical Islamic terror is the CULTURE -- Islam is a necessary but not sufficient condition.

For example -- I doubt you would ever see an American Muslim group decide to organize to oppose our country internally. Because the CULTURE is based on liberty and tolerance and having a secular govt. So Muslims living in our culture would not resort to creating an ISIS or a Boko Harum. Even the Black Muslim movement of the 60s was very careful not to be invoking Mohammed as a justification for their little crusade..

To paraphrase the lizard James Carville ---- It's the CULTURE stupid. And that's what we have cut off at the knees if we're not gonna become Belgium..

What ISIS Really Wants

Don't make me go out there and pull the "mission statements" for those 47 plagues of the planet. What does ISIS stand for? Literally? Do you think creating an orthodox Islam Caliphate is AGAINST the principles of Islam? There are certainly RADICALIZED versions of Islam given full validity by the likes of sovereign states like Saudi Arabia and Iran. And in fact --- my beef is not with Islam.. It's with the tyrannical theocratic governments that Arabs tend to prefer. The Wahabi versions of the Koran are a DIRECT EXPORT of the Saudis.

And leftists OUGHT to understand that.. Since they are all hyper about usurpations of liberty by ANY threat of combining state power with theology. THAT"s really your "regressive leftist" reality. That you want to compare the LIBERTY of this nation and it's "discussions" of keeping it secular ----- to a religion that spreads with the ASSISTANCE of established theocratic states that HAVE no liberties.

We OUGHT to be on the same page here. But SOMEHOW --- you folks are stuck on OPPOSING people who recognize and understand threats to their existence by combining religious tenets with the power of a state.

Why is that????

again, i'm no supporter of terrorists. i kind of have a zero tolerance when it comes to blowing up stuff in the name of allah.

in this country? more people have been killed by christian terrorists than muslim terrorists. i think radical religionists are dangerous.
Exactly.

it’s the individual extremist who has misappropriated his faith in an effort to ‘justify’ his acts of terror – Christian, Jew, or Muslim, all religions have extremist elements who in no way ‘represent’ the religion as a whole or the adherents of that faith.

Where are these Muslims?

Don't understand your question or you're not thinking about what I wrote. ALL of the radicalized groups sprang from and are supported by Arab countries or countries where there is no liberty and the POLITICS are inseparable from Islam. It's THOSE Arabs that I'm talking about. THEY are the ones susceptible to radicalization or causing others to become terrorists for a cause. That's why we need to be very careful about permanent immigration from ANY of these of countries that spawn or sponsor proxy armies for Mohammed..

What ISIS Really Wants

Why is that????

That's a ridiculous claim backed up by incomplete factoids. If you count the American deaths ABROAD at the hands of Jihadis, airplanes, ships, contractors, diplomatic folk, etc (or even our soldiers battling ISIS right now) -- It's a MOUNTAIN of dead Americans at the hands of Islamic radicals. No comparison.

Sounds like you're going out of your way to IGNORE terrorism here..

Yea. That's not a ban. That's a decision. It makes perfect sense when you look into the reasons behind it.

All you know is that some hotheads have told you that not saying "radical Islamic terrorist" is somehow supporting ISIS and helping the enemy. That's an ignorant position to take.

Love the way you Clintonize a BAN on using terminology with "a decision"... So if I'm journalist at the NY Times and want to use something contrary to their "style book" --- I'm not BANNED from doing so??? ((it was just "a decision" that ALL their journalists would write that way)) :banana:

I'm not favorable to calling things by "sanitized" names. Because I'm not opposed to OFFENDING folks that are my enemies. And it's clear to most anyone with HS diploma that "radical Islamic terrorist" is NOT an indictment of Islam.. Ask Pres. Al SiSi in Egypt. HE currently has a very LARGE "radical Islamic terrorist" problem. And THAT devout Muslim has no problem whatsoever in using those words to describe who needs to leave his country or be killed... .

When they get their argument destroyed

I seldom see the apologists offer any actual arguments.

Most just repeat the platitudes they have seen other apologists repeat.

First task for you is to identify any apologists for Muslim terrorism who are on this board or in this thread,

and then prove they are. Macnut has conceded there are none. Maybe you should, too.

What ISIS Really Wants

Why is that????
There is a difference between having a beef with extremism and its state sponsors and hating all Islam and its followers.

Some people are intelligent enough to recognize that, and advocate for strategies that do not demonize an entire group of innocent people such as is being done by many here. Who are the real regressive? Because I'm not so sure it's not those throwing the label around.

What ISIS Really Wants

Why is that????
There is a difference between having a beef with extremism and its state sponsors and hating all Islam and its followers.

Some people are intelligent enough to recognize that, and advocate for strategies that do not demonize an entire group of innocent people such as is being done by many here. Who are the real regressive? Because I'm not so sure it's not those throwing the label around.

It IS true tho that Left doesn't confront the problem as it actually exists. As in the refusal to call it "radical Islamic terrorism".. And only by recognizing and studying HOW it generates are you ever gonna separate the threat from the religion. Making excuses for the daily global bloodshed by comparing this to an American Christian problem is just dumb.. NOTHING gets resolved that way. And we end up not being able to discriminate between the perverse actions of the radicals and the Westernized populations of Islam that dont pose any threat.

Forum List

Back